Background color in an 'answer' dialog?

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
I have created hundreds of LC ‘answer’ commands in my time, and as far as I can remember they all had white backgrounds. Recently I accidentally created one with a lovely red background, showing up in standalones on both Mac High Sierra and Windows 7. Well, it would be lovely if i wanted it that way…

When I edited some lines of script, the background reverted to white!

There is nothing in the LC Dictionary suggesting that this color can be set - can anyone say what I did and how to control the color?

Graham

Re: Background color in an 'answer' dialog?

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
Hi Graham,

You can set this by script, something like:

set the backcolor of stack "answer dialog" to red;answer "Hello"

Best,

Panos

--

On Wed, Feb 28, 2018 at 11:38 AM, Graham Samuel via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have created hundreds of LC ‘answer’ commands in my time, and as far as
> I can remember they all had white backgrounds. Recently I accidentally
> created one with a lovely red background, showing up in standalones on both
> Mac High Sierra and Windows 7. Well, it would be lovely if i wanted it that
> way…
>
> When I edited some lines of script, the background reverted to white!
>
> There is nothing in the LC Dictionary suggesting that this color can be
> set - can anyone say what I did and how to control the color?
>
> Graham

Re: Background color in an 'answer' dialog?

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
This is a great example of the maxim "Everything in LC is simply a stack"

Craig Newman

Re: Background color in an 'answer' dialog?

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
As a follow-up, is there anywhere a list of all IDE stacks? For example, the
stack named "answer dialog", though perfectly logical, is not listed
anywhere, and the names of some stacks, like the script editor, have changed
over the several LC versions.

It is a great way to get oneself in real trouble, but also useful if one
wants red answer dialog boxes.

Craig

Re: Background color in an 'answer' dialog?

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
Hi Craig,

You can "force" all the (open) IDE stacks to appear in the Project Browser:

in the menubar: "View" -> "Show IDE stacks in Lists"

Another way is to type in the msg box:

put the name of the mousestack

but do NOT press Enter yet.

Then place the cursor over the stack whose name you want to know, and then
press Enter.

Hope this helps,
Panos
--

On Wed, Feb 28, 2018 at 1:50 PM, dunbarx via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> As a follow-up, is there anywhere a list of all IDE stacks? For example,
> the
> stack named "answer dialog", though perfectly logical, is not listed
> anywhere, and the names of some stacks, like the script editor, have
> changed
> over the several LC versions.
>
> It is a great way to get oneself in real trouble, but also useful if one
> wants red answer dialog boxes.
>
> Craig
>

> --
> Sent from: http://runtime-revolution.278305.n4.nabble.com/
> Revolution-User-f278306.html

Re: Background color in an 'answer' dialog?

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
Panos.

Ah, of course. Thanks.

I see one can get into real trouble.

Craig

Re: Background color in an 'answer' dialog?

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
Craig, you make an excellent point. We now know there is a stack named “answer dialog” and that it has properties you can set. Surely the documentation should explain this somewhere?

By the way, when I said my red background had disappeared, it hadn’t. It’s just that when you I through the script in the IDE, the background comes up white, whereas in the standalone (both platforms), it comes up red. A bug, surely? I will see if I can boil it down far enough to report it.

Graham

> On 28 Feb 2018, at 14:50, dunbarx via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> As a follow-up, is there anywhere a list of all IDE stacks? For example, the
> stack named "answer dialog", though perfectly logical, is not listed
> anywhere, and the names of some stacks, like the script editor, have changed
> over the several LC versions.
>
> It is a great way to get oneself in real trouble, but also useful if one
> wants red answer dialog boxes.
>
> Craig
>

> --
> Sent from: http://runtime-revolution.278305.n4.nabble.com/Revolution-User-f278306.html

Re: Background color in an 'answer' dialog?

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
Should have said “when I run through the script in the IDE…”. Sorry

=====

Craig, you make an excellent point. We now know there is a stack named “answer dialog” and that it has properties you can set. Surely the documentation should explain this somewhere?

By the way, when I said my red background had disappeared, it hadn’t. It’s just that when you I through the script in the IDE, the background comes up white, whereas in the standalone (both platforms), it comes up red. A bug, surely? I will see if I can boil it down far enough to report it.

Graham

> On 28 Feb 2018, at 14:50, dunbarx via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> As a follow-up, is there anywhere a list of all IDE stacks? For example, the
> stack named "answer dialog", though perfectly logical, is not listed
> anywhere, and the names of some stacks, like the script editor, have changed
> over the several LC versions.
>
> It is a great way to get oneself in real trouble, but also useful if one
> wants red answer dialog boxes.
>
> Craig
>

> --
> Sent from: http://runtime-revolution.278305.n4.nabble.com/Revolution-User-f278306.html

Re: Background color in an 'answer' dialog?

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
Graham,

I think what is happening is that when you run in the IDE the parent stack of the answer dialog stack is the LiveCode engine, which sets a platform-appropriate background color (or no background color) for all child stacks. When you include it in a standalone, your stack-made-standalone becomes the parent stack, and whatever background color is set for that stack is inherited by the answer dialog stack. At least I have seen this happen with standalones that have a stack color set, and I’m fairly certain this is what you’re seeing. What happens if you change your main stack’s background color then rebuild the standalone?

Devin

On 28 Feb 2018, at 14:50, dunbarx via use-livecode <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

As a follow-up, is there anywhere a list of all IDE stacks? For example, the
stack named "answer dialog", though perfectly logical, is not listed
anywhere, and the names of some stacks, like the script editor, have changed
over the several LC versions.

It is a great way to get oneself in real trouble, but also useful if one
wants red answer dialog boxes.

Craig

Devin Asay
Director
Office of Digital Humanities
Brigham Young University

dunbarx wrote:

 > As a follow-up, is there anywhere a list of all IDE stacks? For
 > example, the stack named "answer dialog", though perfectly logical,
 > is not listed anywhere, and the names of some stacks, like the script
 > editor, have changed over the several LC versions.

For stacks in memory, Panos' suggestion of changing Prefs to show IDE
stacks is great.

For stack files (including script-only stacks) on disk, see the Toolset
folder in your LC app bundle/folder.

For super-quick access to IDE scripts, consider devolution's MPath,
which not only has a checkbox for showing LC scripts, but even more
easily that can be toggled with the space bar while the MPath pane is open:
http://fourthworld.net/lc/devo3-mpath.png

Designed for quick access for scripting, everything in devolution's
MPath pane has hot key shortcuts:
http://fourthworld.net/lc/devo-mpath-help.png

The devolution plugin for LC is freely available here:
http://fourthworld.com/products/devolution/

 > It is a great way to get oneself in real trouble, but also useful if
 > one wants red answer dialog boxes.

Yes, "if". ;)

Tip: given the frequency of new LC builds, I've found it very helpful to
automate IDE modification through scripts triggered on launch, as
opposed to modifying the IDE stacks on disk.

Two benefits to this approach:

1. If you like your changes, they'll survive LC updates.

2. If you don't like your changes, reverting back requires nothing more
than removing your plugin and re-launching.

Re: Background color in an 'answer' dialog?

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
Richard,

That is super helpful. I’ve had Devolution loaded for a while but was using
PB to get to IDE scripts. This will be so much better/faster.

Thanks,
Brian

On Wed, Feb 28, 2018 at 9:56 AM Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> For super-quick access to IDE scripts, consider devolution's MPath,
> which not only has a checkbox for showing LC scripts, but even more
> easily that can be toggled with the space bar while the MPath pane is open:
> http://fourthworld.net/lc/devo3-mpath.png
>
> Designed for quick access for scripting, everything in devolution's
> MPath pane has hot key shortcuts:
> http://fourthworld.net/lc/devo-mpath-help.png
>
> The devolution plugin for LC is freely available here:
> http://fourthworld.com/products/devolution/

Re: Background color in an 'answer' dialog?

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
Thanks Devin, that’s a great explanation - my program, which is just a one stack-one card helper app, did start off with a red background. Later I changed the card background (remember, there’s only one card) but forgot about the stack background since it didn’t show. So there you have it.

 We do seem to have found a smallish hole in the documentation about this sort of thing. Perhaps that’s what I should be reporting to the Quality Centre.

While I’m on to explanations, in all my years of using LC and its predecessors, I have never understood what the right hand column in the ‘colors’ tab of the object inspector is for. The left hand column is straightforward: one just picks a color, for example “background fill”. But the next column leads to a strange popup list of icons (some are called ‘standard icons’, whatever that means). Why would I want my background fill to be a repeat of a lot of little forward arrows, for example? And if I did this by mistake, how can I delete this choice? I could not find a way. Proper patterns, as in wallpaper, I find easier to understand, even if I’ve never used them. Am I missing some tremendous feature? Or is this just of archeological interest?

Just askin’

Cheers

Graham

> On 28 Feb 2018, at 16:41, Devin Asay via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Graham,
>
> I think what is happening is that when you run in the IDE the parent stack of the answer dialog stack is the LiveCode engine, which sets a platform-appropriate background color (or no background color) for all child stacks. When you include it in a standalone, your stack-made-standalone becomes the parent stack, and whatever background color is set for that stack is inherited by the answer dialog stack. At least I have seen this happen with standalones that have a stack color set, and I’m fairly certain this is what you’re seeing. What happens if you change your main stack’s background color then rebuild the standalone?
>
> Devin
>

> On Feb 28, 2018, at 8:01 AM, Graham Samuel via use-livecode <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
> Craig, you make an excellent point. We now know there is a stack named “answer dialog” and that it has properties you can set. Surely the documentation should explain this somewhere?
>
> By the way, when I said my red background had disappeared, it hadn’t. It’s just that when you I through the script in the IDE, the background comes up white, whereas in the standalone (both platforms), it comes up red. A bug, surely? I will see if I can boil it down far enough to report it.
>
> Graham
>
> On 28 Feb 2018, at 14:50, dunbarx via use-livecode <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
> As a follow-up, is there anywhere a list of all IDE stacks? For example, the
> stack named "answer dialog", though perfectly logical, is not listed
> anywhere, and the names of some stacks, like the script editor, have changed
> over the several LC versions.
>
> It is a great way to get oneself in real trouble, but also useful if one
> wants red answer dialog boxes.
>
> Craig
>

> --
> Sent from: http://runtime-revolution.278305.n4.nabble.com/Revolution-User-f278306.html

> Devin Asay
> Director
> Office of Digital Humanities
> Brigham Young University

Re: Background color in an 'answer' dialog?

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode

> On Feb 28, 2018, at 10:02 AM, Graham Samuel via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:

> While I’m on to explanations, in all my years of using LC and its predecessors, I have never understood what the right hand column in the ‘colors’ tab of the object inspector is for.

Choosing a background pattern (as you’ve discovered.)

> The left hand column is straightforward: one just picks a color, for example “background fill”. But the next column leads to a strange popup list of icons (some are called ‘standard icons’, whatever that means). Why would I want my background fill to be a repeat of a lot of little forward arrows, for example?

“Standard icons” is in an option list, and the next option on the list is Default Patterns. That gives you a slightly less-unusable selection of background patterns you can apply to your object. The feature is really more useful for setting an image of your choice as the background of an object. Just import the image and use:

set the backgroundPattern of fld 1 to 10003 # the id of the imported image

> And if I did this by mistake, how can I delete this choice? I could not find a way.

It’s not clearly indicated. Right click on the pattern box in the right column and choose “Reset to default”.

> Proper patterns, as in wallpaper, I find easier to understand, even if I’ve never used them. Am I missing some tremendous feature? Or is this just of archeological interest?

See above re setting the backgroundPattern. There are lots of instances where it can be useful. A field with a fancy border, for one example.

HTH

Devin

Devin Asay
Director
Office of Digital Humanities
Brigham Young University

Re: Background color in an 'answer' dialog?

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
Very kind of you to say, Brian. Thanks.  I have no registration
requirement for that free plugin, so I'm often delightfully surprised to
discover who's using it.

Very soon I'll have a window of time in which I can finally get around
to adding some more useful things to the Projects pane.  If you think if
anything you'd find especially useful there, or anywhere in devolution.
drop me a note.

Brian Milby wrote:

 > Richard,
 >
 > That is super helpful. I’ve had Devolution loaded for a while but was
 > using PB to get to IDE scripts. This will be so much better/faster.
 >
 > Thanks,
 > Brian
 >
 > On Wed, Feb 28, 2018 at 9:56 AM Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <
 >
 >>
 >> For super-quick access to IDE scripts, consider devolution's MPath,
 >> which not only has a checkbox for showing LC scripts, but even more
 >> easily that can be toggled with the space bar while the MPath pane
 >> is open:
 >> http://fourthworld.net/lc/devo3-mpath.png
 >>
 >> Designed for quick access for scripting, everything in devolution's
 >> MPath pane has hot key shortcuts:
 >> http://fourthworld.net/lc/devo-mpath-help.png
 >>
 >> The devolution plugin for LC is freely available here:
 >> http://fourthworld.com/products/devolution/

Re: Background color in an 'answer' dialog?

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
Saw the png of it, looks great! I am going to give it a try. If I like and use it I will be happty to shoot you off something on PayPal. Just let me know your handle if you have one.

Bob S

> On Mar 1, 2018, at 08:41 , Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Very kind of you to say, Brian. Thanks.  I have no registration
> requirement for that free plugin, so I'm often delightfully surprised to
> discover who's using it.

Re: Background color in an 'answer' dialog?

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
Generous of you to offer, Bob.  There's a donation button in the About
pane, accessed through the topmost arrow button.  I use
[hidden email]

Donations allow me to spend time with it, and also useful is learning
how others spend time with it.  It's more of a tool rack than a tool
itself, a convenient way to quickly access any mix of IDE tools,
plugins, or your own.  So feel free to drop me a note on anything you
find particularly useful, or would like to see added.