Bad Crash on Attempt to Group Radio Buttons

Bad Crash on Attempt to Group Radio Buttons

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
I had just now a really bad crash in 8.1.6

created custom control/group

then I needed to create two groups of five @ radio buttons in that group.

I layed out the radio buttons and then with selectedGroupedControls selected, I tried to group one set of radio buttons by selecting them and click "Group" but the IDE beeped at me.

So that thought, well maybe I have to added the group before I can group any child controls

So I went to the edit group in the menu bar, with those five controls still selected and LC crashed, "winked out"

This is not the first time I've experience issues with sub groups of a parent group, but rarely has it completely bombed like this.

fortunately no corrupt stack…

Before I report… anyone seeing this or know this has been addressed in more recent versions.

BR

Re: Bad Crash on Attempt to Group Radio Buttons

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
All crashes are bugs and need reporting. It sounds like in this case you
had individual objects selected and tried to edit those as you would a
group. The engine couldn't handle it. I've not had a crash if a group
itself is selected when I choose "edit group".

To create a group inside another one, edit the "outside" group and then
create the inner group.

On 8/22/17 10:47 PM, Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami via use-livecode wrote:

> I had just now a really bad crash in 8.1.6
>
> created custom control/group
>
> then I needed to create two groups of five @ radio buttons in that group.
>
> I layed out the radio buttons and then with selectedGroupedControls selected, I tried to group one set of radio buttons by selecting them and click "Group" but the IDE beeped at me.
>
> So that thought, well maybe I have to added the group before I can group any child controls
>
> So I went to the edit group in the menu bar, with those five controls still selected and LC crashed, "winked out"
>
> This is not the first time I've experience issues with sub groups of a parent group, but rarely has it completely bombed like this.
>
> fortunately no corrupt stack…
>
> Before I report… anyone seeing this or know this has been addressed in more recent versions.
>
> BR

Re: Bad Crash on Attempt to Group Radio Buttons

Mike Kerner via use-livecode

> On 23 Aug 2017, at 1:47 pm, Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Before I report… anyone seeing this or know this has been addressed in more recent versions.

A crash log should help us find this relatively quickly if you can’t come up with a good recipe.

Cheers

Monte

Re: Bad Crash on Attempt to Group Radio Buttons

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
OK so editing groups was crashing LC on my Mac again today.

I had pasted a grc into a group, could not select it, then closed the stack and LC crashed (reported here bug 20299)

But when I reopened the stack the grc was there on the top layer of the group that I had edited before crashing. so hmm that paste did work.

OK so I begin to suspect the IDE's scripts that are trying to track changes and update the Project Browser (wild guess) and I switch over to the revApplicationOverivew

Ahha! look the graphic has no check mark under the "selectable" column.

Hmm I could not recall a prop called "selectable"

So go to the dictionary. enter "selectable"  oops… no such property, so what is this column in the revApplicationOverview tracking.. gotta get work done here… turn vis of all objects on, check "selectable" whatever that is.. and now, yes! I can edit the group, select the grc on top layer, send to to back, refresh overview.. yep it's not the bottom object of the group. Save  and no crashes.

in the AP I can toggle the vis and it toggles in the PI for the object, but if I go object type and toggle "selectable" I don't see any change in any prop in the PI… So, what is this "selectable" property?

On 8/26/17 10:41 PM, Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami via use-livecode wrote:
> So, what is this "selectable" property?

It's the cantSelect property, which doesn't show up in any search I did
in the dictionary. But if you search for "select" and scroll forever,
it's in the list. It's also the first hit if you search for "cant".

CantSelect, if true, prevents the object from being selected with the
pointer tool.

Re: Bad Crash on Attempt to Group Radio Buttons

Mike Kerner via use-livecode

 "select\b" will make finding it a little easier.

> On Aug 26, 2017 at 11:49 PM,  <J. Landman Gay via use-livecode (mailto:[hidden email])>  wrote:
>

>  On 8/26/17 10:41 PM, Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami via use-livecode wrote:  >  So, what is this "selectable" property? It's the cantSelect property, which doesn't show up in any search I did in the dictionary. But if you search for "select" and scroll forever, it's in the list. It's also the first hit if you search for "cant". CantSelect, if true, prevents the object from being selected with the pointer tool. -- Jacqueline Landman Gay | [hidden email] HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com _______________________________________________ use-livecode mailing list [hidden email] Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences: http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode

Re: Bad Crash on Attempt to Group Radio Buttons

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
Thanks. But it should be easier.

On 8/26/17 11:53 PM, Brian Milby via use-livecode wrote:

>   "select\b" will make finding it a little easier.
>

>> On Aug 26, 2017 at 11:49 PM,  <J. Landman Gay via use-livecode (mailto:[hidden email])>  wrote:
>>

>>   On 8/26/17 10:41 PM, Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami via use-livecode wrote:  >  So, what is this "selectable" property? It's the cantSelect property, which doesn't show up in any search I did in the dictionary. But if you search for "select" and scroll forever, it's in the list. It's also the first hit if you search for "cant". CantSelect, if true, prevents the object from being selected with the pointer tool. -- Jacqueline Landman Gay | [hidden email] HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

Re: Bad Crash on Attempt to Group Radio Buttons

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
> JLG wrote:
> ... But it should be easier.

You could use tinyDictionary.

Re: Bad Crash on Attempt to Group Radio Buttons

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
Yes, Tiny Dictionary is brilliant. But does it integrate with the script
editor yet? Will new users know they should download a third party solution
to get a fully functional dictionary?

I can usually find what I need because I know most of the terminology but
others won't.
.

On August 27, 2017 5:22:43 AM hh via use-livecode
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>> JLG wrote:
>> ... But it should be easier.
>
> You could use tinyDictionary.

Re: Bad Crash on Attempt to Group Radio Buttons

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
If you click a button with cantselect set to true, what object receives the click?

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 27, 2017, at 6:20 AM, hh via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> JLG wrote:
>> ... But it should be easier.
>
> You could use tinyDictionary.

Re: Bad Crash on Attempt to Group Radio Buttons

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
CantSelect disallows selection by the edit tool, mostly used in
development, but doesn't change the message path.

On August 27, 2017 9:25:28 AM Jonathan Lynch via use-livecode
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> If you click a button with cantselect set to true, what object receives the
> click?
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Aug 27, 2017, at 6:20 AM, hh via use-livecode
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>> JLG wrote:
>>> ... But it should be easier.
>>
>> You could use tinyDictionary.

Re: Bad Crash on Attempt to Group Radio Buttons

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
Ah - thanks

Sent from my iPhone

> On Aug 27, 2017, at 11:39 AM, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> CantSelect disallows selection by the edit tool, mostly used in development, but doesn't change the message path.

>> On August 27, 2017 9:25:28 AM Jonathan Lynch via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> If you click a button with cantselect set to true, what object receives the click?
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone

>>> You could use tinyDictionary.

Re: Bad Crash on Attempt to Group Radio Buttons

Mike Kerner via use-livecode

 I've been working on the dictionary and would like to improve it even more.    Changes to the selection logic will probably need concurrence from the LC folks.    Right now the search is performed on the name and the syntax.    Priority is given to terms that match the start of a word.    Multiple words are currently supported (space delimited, treated as AND).    See bug report 20289 (specifically for "me" being difficult to find).

Maybe the dictionary should default to a "definition" with some hints on searching.

TinyDict is much more space efficient and will probably remain so unless the built in dictionary is replaced.    I do believe that the functionality of the built in one can be made pretty close (exception possibly being the search of multiple dictionaries at once).    It already is more powerful since full RegEx is supported in the search field (admittedly limited to advanced users).

 Thanks,
Brian

On 8/27/17 12:48 PM, Brian Milby via use-livecode wrote:
> I've been working on the dictionary and would like to improve it even more.

Your name will be praised. :)

Re: Bad Crash on Attempt to Group Radio Buttons

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
JQ wrote

    CantSelect disallows selection by the edit tool, mostly used in
    development, but doesn't change the message path.

Hmm.. doesn't this comprise a Noobie Gotcha?

cantSelect is not exposed in the PI for any object.

if it was, then toggling this in the ABrowser would trigger the checkbox on and off and you would get it'

"Oh selectable it toggling the cantSelect" property.

I don't think that prop is exposed at all in the new Project Browser and

"worse" the PB allowed me to double click on the list and it *did* select the object that had "cantSelect" = "true"

@monte perhaps this is the crux of the crash: PB  allows selection of an object with cantSelect set to true?

On 8/27/17 1:09 PM, Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami via use-livecode wrote:
> JQ wrote
>
>      CantSelect disallows selection by the edit tool, mostly used in
>      development, but doesn't change the message path.
>
> Hmm.. doesn't this comprise a Noobie Gotcha?
>
> cantSelect is not exposed in the PI for any object.

CantSelect is false by default, and since it isn't in the project
browser, new users are unlikely to know about it. They're also unlikely
to dig into the Plugins menu to show the app browser, so mistakes would
probably be rare.

But yes, it could be an issue if they did find it.

> "worse" the PB allowed me to double click on the list and it *did* select the object that had "cantSelect" = "true"
>
> @monte perhaps this is the crux of the crash: PB  allows selection of an object with cantSelect set to true?

If you can reproduce that, it would be worth a bug report. The behavior
does sound suspicious.

On 08/27/2017 01:10 PM, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode wrote:

> CantSelect is false by default, and since it isn't in the project
> browser, new users are unlikely to know about it. They're also unlikely
> to dig into the Plugins menu to show the app browser, so mistakes would
> probably be rare.

I don't think I've ever used the cantSelect property, and I've been
having a hard time trying to come up with a use case for it. Can you
clue me in as to a situation where this might be useful?

Re: Bad Crash on Attempt to Group Radio Buttons

Mike Kerner via use-livecode

> On 28 Aug 2017, at 4:09 am, Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>    CantSelect disallows selection by the edit tool, mostly used in
>    development, but doesn't change the message path.
>
> Hmm.. doesn't this comprise a Noobie Gotcha?
>
> cantSelect is not exposed in the PI for any object.
>
> if it was, then toggling this in the ABrowser would trigger the checkbox on and off and you would get it'
>
> "Oh selectable it toggling the cantSelect" property.

If you had an inspector open on the selected control and toggled cantSelect and boom it disappeared because the selected object wasn’t selected would you report that as a bug? That’s why it’s not on the inspector. Mind you it might be feasible to switch the inspector to locked on object mode at that point...

> I don't think that prop is exposed at all in the new Project Browser and

Actually it is but the toolTip is wrong! I’m about to submit a patch for that.

> "worse" the PB allowed me to double click on the list and it *did* select the object that had "cantSelect" = "true"
>
> @monte perhaps this is the crux of the crash: PB  allows selection of an object with cantSelect set to true?

Hmm… it does appear it does allow it… perhaps the select command works regardless of cantSelect? It does not appear to crash for me though.

Cheers

Monte

Re: Bad Crash on Attempt to Group Radio Buttons

Mike Kerner via use-livecode

> On 28 Aug 2017, at 6:29 am, Mark Wieder via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> CantSelect is false by default, and since it isn't in the project browser, new users are unlikely to know about it. They're also unlikely to dig into the Plugins menu to show the app browser, so mistakes would probably be rare.
>
> I don't think I've ever used the cantSelect property, and I've been having a hard time trying to come up with a use case for it. Can you clue me in as to a situation where this might be useful?

I have used cantSelect before to stop selection of a background image that has lots of objects on top. It means you can drag select them and won’t accidentally click-drag and move your background. It’s better than lockLocation because of drag-select.

Cheers

Monte

Re: Bad Crash on Attempt to Group Radio Buttons

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
I use this feature extensively in an app where there is card that has
objects that users can select to change properties (line width, color,
font, etc) and at the top of the window is a toolbar with font menu,
etc. I don't want the user to be able to select the toolbar controls and
accidentally delete them or alter them, so I use the cantSelect property
on those.

Marty K