Beacons and Bluetooth

Tom Glod via use-livecode
Hi All,

I thought I would post a link to a forum post I made -- Nobody seems to
have a an answer even a simple yes/no
or even a fully fledged Stack with Scott Rossi designed UI it seems ;-)

Better men than me have done this "double posting" - Hi Todd

https://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=29797

KIndest Regards Lagi

-- Here is the post to save clicking around

Hi All,

I have found a couple of posts that say you can use beacons specifically
Ibeacons with Livecode and Monte's MergBLE

In one thread Dixie says he used kontakt.io beacons with the MergCL
external instead (why)

From my understanding when MergEXT was bought in and Monte came for the
Ride  :D it was only for IOS but promised that it would be extended for
other operating systems

In another thread, someone asks can Beacons be controlled using Livecode
and QuailCreek answers MergBLE is available in the Indy and Business
versions but doesn't say it doesn't work in Android thus intimating that it
can be used in both mobile operationg systems.

The Documentation/Dictionary says OS - IOS/OSX and PLatforms -
Desktop/Mobile - not very specific as IOS is mobile in the Platforms and
the Word Mobile suggests BOTH IOS and Android.

My questions are thus (for other time challenged seekers of Livecode Wisdom
from the trenches)

1. Can MergBL be used with Android
2. if Not then How best to do it
3. Is there any more (any?) documentation other than standard API/header
calls -
Don't Make me think - show me the Banana

4. Any other Wisdom , Tips, Tricks, Do's and Don'ts (will save others a
hell of a lot of searching I hope)
5. A fully working stack with Beautiful GUI crafted by Scott Rossi that
does everything I would ever need with a beacon (except the ordering of
Coffee and Eggs when the Fridge is empty) - well it's worth a try  :wink:

KIndest Regards Lagi

Re: Beacons and Bluetooth

Tom Glod via use-livecode
Lagi: yes this is really bigger than we see.

Probably need a whole forum area dedicated to NFC, Bluetooth Comms.

FWIW I talked with Jacque about this yesterday. NFC in the form of "within 4-5 cm" is available now on Android if you have Indy or business. Maybe by next year for iOS… the "beacons" are cheap. 20-30 cents each. (think WalMart Warehouse… 1000's of these stuck on shelves for inventory control) Phone picks up the ID of the chip and away you go…

Andre was telling me last year there is a lot of NFC Beacon Dev going on in Brasil. If this were all exposed in community or community plus, it could "explode"

Anyway, with 3,000 plus visitors a month, all walking in with smart phones, we have a very strong use case for anything we can do with this in Livecode.

just my two mangos in Hawaii.

and yes I don’t' have time right now to dive into it, so agreed:

   " Don't Make me think - show me the Banana"

= centralized NFC/Beacon documentation, sample scripts, stacks

etc.

Brahmanathaswami

Re: Beacons and Bluetooth

Tom Glod via use-livecode

On September 27, 2017 10:40:01 AM Lagi Pittas via use-livecode
<[hidden email]> wrote:.

> The Documentation/Dictionary says OS - IOS/OSX and PLatforms -
> Desktop/Mobile - not very specific as IOS is mobile in the Platforms and
> the Word Mobile suggests BOTH IOS and Android.
>
> My questions are thus (for other time challenged seekers of Livecode Wisdom
> from the trenches)
>
> 1. Can MergBL be used with Android
> 2. if Not then How best to do it

The Bluetooth external is only for iOS currently. The dictionary entry is
correct, the environment it works in is mobile, the platform {the OS) is iOS.

I don't know of any way to use Bluetooth on Android.

Re: Beacons and Bluetooth

Tom Glod via use-livecode
Hello Lagi,

I replied to the forum post. We tried but not much luck. With the new LCB,
we could talk about something for now. Beacons are a bit different than
most Bluetooth devices. They will require wrapping and SDK.

I am open to figuring out how we can get this done as an LC Widget Lib and
get it out to other developers.

We are wrapping the Android Finger Print Touch ID as a test. Let's see how
it goes.

--Todd