Best Update Standalone Scenario

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
17 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Best Update Standalone Scenario

Sivakatirswami
I've searched through the email lists but it's huge and so I'll ask  
an old question (good candidate for an entry in the RevWiki Cookbooks  
section):

What is the best strategy to auto update standalones.

I'm finding some users are happier if every app we deploy is a  
standalone and then there are no issues about where the player is,  
opening the stack etc. especially where these apps have completely  
different job descriptions.

But then, if you want a standalone to update itself what do you do?  
Let me run this by you all for comment.

1) Keep a version number in a custom prop, in the stand alone.
2) have the app ping your server for a small file with the latest  
version number,
3) if they two don't match, then prompt the user to update.
4) on update, the standalone downloads a compressed version of itself  
to the folder that it is in and decompresses that file...
     Question: what is the best way to do this:
a) overwrite the previous standalone with the same name? Will all  
systems allow this if the file is open? I think not....
b) or give the standalone a new name the latter is pretty standard...  
"BBEdit 8.6, BBEdit 8.7"


5) then have the standalone save any open external stacks and quit  
itself.

6) now we leave it up to the user to
     a) reboot the standalone if it has the same name... (but, if  
replacing an open app is not an option, then this is also not an  
option.)
    b) trash the old version and boot the new one.

I would be interested in the overview, the options, the caveats  
etc... and of course cross platform issues (mainly OSX and Windows)  
for "best of show update strategies."

TIA
Sivakatirswami




_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Best Update Standalone Scenario

Chipp Walters
Sivakatir,

Check out
http://lists.runrev.com/pipermail/use-revolution/2003-August/021590.html

best,

Chipp

Sivakatirswami wrote:
> I've searched through the email lists but it's huge and so I'll ask  an
> old question (good candidate for an entry in the RevWiki Cookbooks  
> section):
>
> What is the best strategy to auto update standalones.
_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: Best Update Standalone Scenario

Scott Kane-3
In reply to this post by Sivakatirswami

> What is the best strategy to auto update standalones.

I've never done this in Rev, but have in other languages
on Windows.

What I did was to execute a shell command to run a utility
program (the updater) followed by an application close
command (exit, quit).  Then the updater ran, updates the
executable (stand alone) and then executes a shell command
to run the real program (now updated) before automatically
closing itself (exit, quit).

Scott Kane


_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: Best Update Standalone Scenario

MisterX
In reply to this post by Sivakatirswami
Hi Sivakatirswami

That's an excellent topic...

I like the simplicity and safety of many programs I use

- auto-watch web updates - with an option to turn it off
- downloadable improvements, selectable in a list. keep old versions
available - for old client (filter out the inaplicable or installed
objects).

The other simple system, not as practical, was the simple help menu check
with a website visit... download the update. quit the program, run the
update and done...
The good thing about this last one is that I allows lots of safeties like
backups in between... Not that the other types of updates show less but it
may be less apparent and you may not have control over what is done...

Then like Chipp mentioned, there's the stack component. Which is like the
first method I mentioned... But with added "functionality" not just data...

I don't know if updating scripts on the fly works - certainly not for the
compiled stack but for the "library" stacks, it's certainly or probably
doable. But it's just as easy to replace these libraries.

The point being that you have to think in advance how you want your updates
to work... Data, GUIs and Code all have options... Don't forget backups can
be important too...

cheers
Xavier
http://monsieurx.com/taoo


> -----Original Message-----
> From: [hidden email]
> [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of
> Sivakatirswami
> Sent: Saturday, October 22, 2005 6:48 AM
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Best Update Standalone Scenario
>
> I've searched through the email lists but it's huge and so
> I'll ask an old question (good candidate for an entry in the
> RevWiki Cookbooks
> section):
>
> What is the best strategy to auto update standalones.
>
> I'm finding some users are happier if every app we deploy is
> a standalone and then there are no issues about where the
> player is, opening the stack etc. especially where these apps
> have completely different job descriptions.
>
> But then, if you want a standalone to update itself what do you do?  
> Let me run this by you all for comment.
>
> 1) Keep a version number in a custom prop, in the stand alone.
> 2) have the app ping your server for a small file with the
> latest version number,
> 3) if they two don't match, then prompt the user to update.
> 4) on update, the standalone downloads a compressed version
> of itself to the folder that it is in and decompresses that file...
>      Question: what is the best way to do this:
> a) overwrite the previous standalone with the same name? Will
> all systems allow this if the file is open? I think not....
> b) or give the standalone a new name the latter is pretty
> standard...  
> "BBEdit 8.6, BBEdit 8.7"
>
>
> 5) then have the standalone save any open external stacks and
> quit itself.
>
> 6) now we leave it up to the user to
>      a) reboot the standalone if it has the same name...
> (but, if replacing an open app is not an option, then this is
> also not an
> option.)
>     b) trash the old version and boot the new one.
>
> I would be interested in the overview, the options, the
> caveats etc... and of course cross platform issues (mainly
> OSX and Windows) for "best of show update strategies."
>
> TIA
> Sivakatirswami
>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> use-revolution mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage
> your subscription preferences:
> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution

_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Best Update Standalone Scenario

mwieder
In reply to this post by Chipp Walters
Chipp-

Friday, October 21, 2005, 10:56:24 PM, you wrote:

> Check out
> http://lists.runrev.com/pipermail/use-revolution/2003-August/021590.html

The only things I would add to Chipp's excellent writeup are:

I have an aversion to apps that "phone home" on their own at startup,
so I leave this as an option for the users to check for updated
versions on their own. There are obviously cases, though, where you do
want the automatic checks to occur at startup.

And the "splash screen" approach to segmenting your program also has a
couple of advantages that Chipp didn't metion: a) since the process of
creating a standalone binds the engine to the mainstack, this then
gets attached to the splash screen, making updates much smaller and
faster downloads; and b) the user perception of the smaller download
is that you're not really giving them a whole new application (you may
be), but that it's a minor update, making them feel better about
updating the app.

--
-Mark Wieder
 [hidden email]

_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
--
 Mark Wieder
 ahsoftware@gmail.com
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Best Update Standalone Scenario

Sivakatirswami
Aloha, Chipp and Mark:

Excellent, thanks... I have copied Chipps scenario to my own  
knowledge base.

Two questions:

1)  How do you handle the Splash Screen-Engine-Player after the  
MainStack is opened... set it to invisible? Just let it sit in the  
background behind everything? I would guess the former, which is more  
normal UI behavior (I mean there is no Splash screen present in the  
visible GUI once the user opens an MS word document, or any Adobe  
document either...)

2) Marie Signe recently said the special folder path to /Application  
Data/ on Windows was (26)... this email say (35) ....

Looking at the MSDN site we see:

CSIDL_APPDATA (0x001a)
     Version 4.71. The file system directory that serves as a common  
repository for application-specific data. A typical path is C:
\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data. This CSIDL is  
supported by the redistributable Shfolder.dll for systems that do not  
have the Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.0 integrated Shell installed.

= specialFolderPath(26)

CSIDL_CDBURN_AREA (0x003b)
     Version 6.0. The file system directory acting as a staging area  
for files waiting to be written to CD. A typical path is C:\Documents  
and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\CD  
Burning.

= specialFolderPath(59)

CSIDL_COMMON_APPDATA (0x0023)
     Version 5.0. The file system directory containing application  
data for all users. A typical path is C:\Documents and Settings\All  
Users\Application Data.

= specialFolderPath(35)

Aside query about Windows systems... why are two different ones for

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data
and
C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\)

??
What should we use and why?

Sivakatirswami






theOn Oct 22, 2005, at 7:32 AM, Mark Wieder wrote:

> Chipp-
>
> Friday, October 21, 2005, 10:56:24 PM, you wrote:
>
>
>> Check out
>> http://lists.runrev.com/pipermail/use-revolution/2003-August/ 
>> 021590.html
>>
>
> The only things I would add to Chipp's excellent writeup are:
>
> I have an aversion to apps that "phone home" on their own at startup,
> so I leave this as an option for the users to check for updated
> versions on their own. There are obviously cases, though, where you do
> want the automatic checks to occur at startup.
>
> And the "splash screen" approach to segmenting your program also has a
> couple of advantages that Chipp didn't metion: a) since the process of
> creating a standalone binds the engine to the mainstack, this then
> gets attached to the splash screen, making updates much smaller and
> faster downloads; and b) the user perception of the smaller download
> is that you're not really giving them a whole new application (you may
> be), but that it's a minor update, making them feel better about
> updating the app.
>
> --
> -Mark Wieder
>  [hidden email]
>
> _______________________________________________
> use-revolution mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your  
> subscription preferences:
> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
>

_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Best Update Standalone Scenario

mwieder
Sivakatirswami-

Saturday, October 22, 2005, 12:44:33 PM, you wrote:

> 1)  How do you handle the Splash Screen-Engine-Player after the
> MainStack is opened... set it to invisible? Just let it sit in the  
> background behind everything? I would guess the former, which is more
> normal UI behavior (I mean there is no Splash screen present in the
> visible GUI once the user opens an MS word document, or any Adobe  
> document either...)

Can't (or won't) answer for Chipp here, but here's the entire Splash
Screen script from one of my apps. I put this into the openStack
handler because I *want* the splash screen to be visible if there's a
problem opening the main stack. Then the user is presented with the
splash screen, which has a field that says that an error has occurred
and they should contact me.

on openStack
  set the visible of me to false
  open stack "LPMain" -- the mainStack for this app
  close me
end openStack

> 2) Marie Signe recently said the special folder path to /Application
> Data/ on Windows was (26)... this email say (35) ....

The difference here is whether you want a single file installed for
all users on the computer to share or just for the current user (in
which case different users on the computer would have separate copies
of the file). Use (35) for the first case and (26) for the second
case.

--
-Mark Wieder
 [hidden email]

_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
--
 Mark Wieder
 ahsoftware@gmail.com
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Best Update Standalone Scenario

Chipp Walters
In reply to this post by Sivakatirswami
Sivakatirswami wrote:

> Aloha, Chipp and Mark:
>
> Excellent, thanks... I have copied Chipps scenario to my own  knowledge
> base.
>
> Two questions:
>
> 1)  How do you handle the Splash Screen-Engine-Player after the  
> MainStack is opened... set it to invisible? Just let it sit in the  
> background behind everything? I would guess the former, which is more  
> normal UI behavior (I mean there is no Splash screen present in the  
> visible GUI once the user opens an MS word document, or any Adobe  
> document either...)
>
> 2) Marie Signe recently said the special folder path to /Application  
> Data/ on Windows was (26)... this email say (35) ....

Sivakatirswami,

I do the same as Mark, I close the startup stack *after* opening the
regular one.

(35) is for all users, not just a single user. I chose (35) so I don't
have to deal with multiple users (logins) on XP, some having problems
launching the stack(s). Though I do have a few apps which use the (26)
one as well. It's really up to you.

Sometimes I store the downloaded main stack in (35) and user prefs in
(26) so that multiple users can each have their own preference setting.

You might want to take a look at:
http://www.altuit.com/webs/altuit2/MagicCarpetAAA/default.htm

There's a sample splashStack there as well.


_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Best Update Standalone Scenario

Dave Cragg
In reply to this post by Sivakatirswami

On 22 Oct 2005, at 20:44, Sivakatirswami wrote:
>
> Aside query about Windows systems... why are two different ones for
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data
> and
> C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\)
>


The first one, specialFolderPath(26), may be stored on a server where  
roaming profiles are used. The second one, specialFolderPath(28), is  
only ever kept on the local machine.  You should use the first one  
for data the user should have access to, no matter which machine the  
user logs on from (application prefs for example). The second one is  
typically used for cached data (the Internet Explorer cache is kept  
here),  which isn't really needed in every location.

Cheers
Dave

_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Best Update Standalone Scenario

Sivakatirswami
In reply to this post by Chipp Walters
Chipp:

"up to you" right.. we have the same thing going on now on the Mac with


/HD/LIbrary/Application Support/

# better, I think, for the "mainstack.rev" than preferences, though I  
could be wrong...but on the Mac the "big boys" seem to have some  
criteria (which not everyone follows by any means) for what goes  
into /Application Support/ and what goes into /Preferences/  
Typically, in the past,  the latter-prefs can be 100% volatile  
without breaking your app.."Trash your prefs" being a typical first  
line of attack on a problem... while /Application Support/ carries  
critical components, with which the entire app or some funcationality  
of it, will fail completely without re-installation...

and

/HD/Users/Chipp/LIbrary/Application Support/

then, finally, just to be absolutely clear and in case newbies are  
lurking..
  and we haven't addressed this as yet...All of this assumes that the  
user can put the SplashScreen-Engine-Player.exe file anywhere they  
want to...

Right?

Typically you have no control over this anyway... one person  
("Whatever!")  has his desktop set as the downloads folder, other  
"Virgo Types" ("I Need Perfect order!") meticulously  set up  
downloads folders, then move their downloaded files out to other  
logically named (for them, their projects) folders...

Which would also mean that for a dual file distribution--where you  
ship both the

SplashScreen-Engine-Player.exe
MainMyAppStack.rev

together... they will land on the HD in some unknown location: you  
would need an additional procedure (not so far mentioned) to move/
copy MainMyAppStack.rev to the specialFolder on start up...

I'm finding that though developers tend to live all day long with a  
pipe open to the net, "out there in the real world" that's not always  
the case. so one has to consider a single download for installation  
with the possibility that the next time the person boots, they will  
not be online -- their teenage daughter is having a 2 hour session  
with her friend on the phone. Or,  people are using portables and are  
sitting in the dentist's office and they don't have a  
connection....and you don't want your splash screen to say "Sorry, I  
know you already downloaded this application but you have to be  
online to continue in order to *really* download it [to now get the  
MainMyAppStack.rev]

e.g. we just set up an agreement with eGranary for distribution of  
large portions of our web content to remote servers (e.g. big box in  
a high-school in Nairobi, Kenya) where the model is: download  
terrabytes of resources to a local server, then let 500 users on the  
LAN have access to the files with no outside connection to the the  
"real" internet required... of course this model breaks everything in  
terms of updates, which is an issue for eGranary that they are  
working on... but, you get the point.. lots of users will not be  
online after initial installation.

i.e. so, isn't the dual file "package" the normal initial distribution?

Sorry for dragging this out but it seems a "mission critical" area to  
have totally "smooth" and we are looking to launch some very  
"professional" apps in the not too distant future to a very broad  
audience for which support could be an incredible issue.. .we don't  
want to be drowning in a sea of bug reports.

Sivakatirswami


On Oct 22, 2005, at 9:06 PM, Chipp Walters wrote:

> Sivakatirswami wrote:
>
>> Aloha, Chipp and Mark:
>> Excellent, thanks... I have copied Chipps scenario to my own  
>> knowledge base.
>> Two questions:
>> 1)  How do you handle the Splash Screen-Engine-Player after the  
>> MainStack is opened... set it to invisible? Just let it sit in  
>> the  background behind everything? I would guess the former, which  
>> is more  normal UI behavior (I mean there is no Splash screen  
>> present in the  visible GUI once the user opens an MS word  
>> document, or any Adobe  document either...)
>> 2) Marie Signe recently said the special folder path to /
>> Application  Data/ on Windows was (26)... this email say (35) ....
>>
>
> Sivakatirswami,
>
> I do the same as Mark, I close the startup stack *after* opening  
> the regular one.
>
> (35) is for all users, not just a single user. I chose (35) so I  
> don't have to deal with multiple users (logins) on XP, some having  
> problems launching the stack(s). Though I do have a few apps which  
> use the (26) one as well. It's really up to you.
>
> Sometimes I store the downloaded main stack in (35) and user prefs  
> in (26) so that multiple users can each have their own preference  
> setting.
>
> You might want to take a look at:
> http://www.altuit.com/webs/altuit2/MagicCarpetAAA/default.htm
>
> There's a sample splashStack there as well.
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> use-revolution mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your  
> subscription preferences:
> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
>

_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Plain text or Unicodetext?

ron barber
In reply to this post by Scott Kane-3
Hi,

Is there a way to determine if the text returned from a dialog is ascii
text or unicodedtext? I tried working with the chartonum, useunicode
and baseconvert functions to no avail.

I tried converting and comparing uniencoded versions with the original
text and no go. I have tried what I know so I turn to the list.

Thanks
Ron

_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Plain text or Unicodetext?

Marcus van Houdt
Hello,

At present there is no way to directly check the encoding of the text
entered in a field, however, you can detect it indirectly by checking
the htmlText property of the field.
If plain text is entered there will be no "lang" attribute present in
the "font" tag, however, if there is any unicode present in the field
there will be a lang attribute for the font tag present.
You can try this out easily by typing a line of plain text in a field
and then typing a line of unicode text before doing "put the htmlText
of field "name you gave field" in the message box, you will notice
there is only a lang tag present for the unicode text.

If you wish to determine whether text returned from a dialog is unicode
or plain text, you will need to check the htmlText property of the
field used in the dialog box to enter the text.


Regards,


Marcus


> Hi,
>
> Is there a way to determine if the text returned from a dialog is
> ascii text or unicodedtext? I tried working with the chartonum,
> useunicode and baseconvert functions to no avail.
>
> I tried converting and comparing uniencoded versions with the original
> text and no go. I have tried what I know so I turn to the list.
>
> Thanks
> Ron
>
> _______________________________________________
> use-revolution mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your
> subscription preferences:
> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
>

_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Plain text or Unicodetext?

ron barber
Hi Marcus,

Thanks for the suggestion. Kenji Kojima also replied to me privately
with the same idea.

It seems to be an effective way of checking, even if it involves an
extra step of putting the text into a fld first.

Thanks
Ron

On Oct 30, 2005, at 11:28 PM, Marcus van Houdt wrote:

> Hello,
>
> At present there is no way to directly check the encoding of the text
> entered in a field, however, you can detect it indirectly by checking
> the htmlText property of the field.
> If plain text is entered there will be no "lang" attribute present in
> the "font" tag, however, if there is any unicode present in the field
> there will be a lang attribute for the font tag present.
> You can try this out easily by typing a line of plain text in a field
> and then typing a line of unicode text before doing "put the htmlText
> of field "name you gave field" in the message box, you will notice
> there is only a lang tag present for the unicode text.
>
> If you wish to determine whether text returned from a dialog is
> unicode or plain text, you will need to check the htmlText property of
> the field used in the dialog box to enter the text.
>
>
> Regards,
>
>
> Marcus
>
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is there a way to determine if the text returned from a dialog is
>> ascii text or unicodedtext? I tried working with the chartonum,
>> useunicode and baseconvert functions to no avail.
>>
>> I tried converting and comparing uniencoded versions with the
>> original text and no go. I have tried what I know so I turn to the
>> list.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Ron
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> use-revolution mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your
>> subscription preferences:
>> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
>>
>
> _______________________________________________
> use-revolution mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your
> subscription preferences:
> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
>

_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Ask/answer dialog question

ron barber
In reply to this post by Marcus van Houdt
Hi,

The docs say that styled text is a possibility in ask and answer
dialogs. I have tried

ask the htmltext of field "myfield" with "myFile"

but it shows the html encodings rather than the formatted text. I get
the same thing with ask file and the answer dialogs. Is there a way to
get styled text in the ask/answer wd without making my own windows?

Thanks
Ron

_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Ask/answer dialog question

Eric Chatonet
Hi Rob,

Answer dialogs support styled text (html) but ask dialogs do not.
You might be interested in 2 tutorials:  "How to Display and Manage  
Ask Dialogs" and "How to Display and Manage Answer Dialogs" both  
available from Tutorials Picker.
Tutorials Picker is available from my website (Revolution > Plugins)  
or Rev Online (user: So Smart Software)

Best Regards from Paris,
Eric Chatonet.

Le 31 oct. 05 à 11:48, ron barber a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> The docs say that styled text is a possibility in ask and answer  
> dialogs. I have tried
>
> ask the htmltext of field "myfield" with "myFile"
>
> but it shows the html encodings rather than the formatted text. I  
> get the same thing with ask file and the answer dialogs. Is there a  
> way to get styled text in the ask/answer wd without making my own  
> windows?
>
> Thanks
> Ron

----------------------------------------------------------------
So Smart Software

For institutions, companies and associations
Built-to-order applications: management, multimedia, internet, etc.
Windows, Mac OS and Linux... With the French touch

Free plugins and tutorials on my website
----------------------------------------------------------------
Web site        http://www.sosmartsoftware.com/
Email        [hidden email]/
Phone        33 (0)1 43 31 77 62
Mobile        33 (0)6 20 74 50 86
----------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Ask/answer dialog question -docs

ron barber
Hi Eric,

Thanks for the response, I'll look at your tutorials but the docs for
the ask dialog state:

"The ability to provide formatted text for the prompt was introduced in
version 2.0."

so I was looking for the way to use that.

Thanks
Ron


On Oct 31, 2005, at 7:54 PM, Eric Chatonet wrote:

> Hi Rob,
>
> Answer dialogs support styled text (html) but ask dialogs do not.
> You might be interested in 2 tutorials:  "How to Display and Manage
> Ask Dialogs" and "How to Display and Manage Answer Dialogs" both
> available from Tutorials Picker.
> Tutorials Picker is available from my website (Revolution > Plugins)
> or Rev Online (user: So Smart Software)
>
> Best Regards from Paris,
> Eric Chatonet.
>
> Le 31 oct. 05 à 11:48, ron barber a écrit :
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> The docs say that styled text is a possibility in ask and answer
>> dialogs. I have tried
>>
>> ask the htmltext of field "myfield" with "myFile"
>>
>> but it shows the html encodings rather than the formatted text. I get
>> the same thing with ask file and the answer dialogs. Is there a way
>> to get styled text in the ask/answer wd without making my own
>> windows?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Ron
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------
> So Smart Software
>
> For institutions, companies and associations
> Built-to-order applications: management, multimedia, internet, etc.
> Windows, Mac OS and Linux... With the French touch
>
> Free plugins and tutorials on my website
> ----------------------------------------------------------------
> Web site        http://www.sosmartsoftware.com/
> Email        [hidden email]/
> Phone        33 (0)1 43 31 77 62
> Mobile        33 (0)6 20 74 50 86
> ----------------------------------------------------------------
>
> _______________________________________________
> use-revolution mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your
> subscription preferences:
> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
>

_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Ask/answer dialog question -docs

Eric Chatonet
Hi Ron,

You are right.
But it's an error in the docs:
Probably, a quick copy/paste from the answer entry ;-)

Le 31 oct. 05 à 11:58, ron barber a écrit :

> Hi Eric,
>
> Thanks for the response, I'll look at your tutorials but the docs  
> for the ask dialog state:
>
> "The ability to provide formatted text for the prompt was  
> introduced in version 2.0."
>
> so I was looking for the way to use that.
>
> Thanks
> Ron
>
>
> On Oct 31, 2005, at 7:54 PM, Eric Chatonet wrote:
>
>
>> Hi Rob,
>>
>> Answer dialogs support styled text (html) but ask dialogs do not.
>> You might be interested in 2 tutorials:  "How to Display and  
>> Manage Ask Dialogs" and "How to Display and Manage Answer Dialogs"  
>> both available from Tutorials Picker.
>> Tutorials Picker is available from my website (Revolution >  
>> Plugins) or Rev Online (user: So Smart Software)
>>
>> Best Regards from Paris,
>> Eric Chatonet.
>>
>> Le 31 oct. 05 à 11:48, ron barber a écrit :
>>
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> The docs say that styled text is a possibility in ask and answer  
>>> dialogs. I have tried
>>>
>>> ask the htmltext of field "myfield" with "myFile"
>>>
>>> but it shows the html encodings rather than the formatted text. I  
>>> get the same thing with ask file and the answer dialogs. Is there  
>>> a way to get styled text in the ask/answer wd without making my  
>>> own windows?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Ron
>>>
>>
>> ----------------------------------------------------------------
>> So Smart Software
>>
>> For institutions, companies and associations
>> Built-to-order applications: management, multimedia, internet, etc.
>> Windows, Mac OS and Linux... With the French touch
>>
>> Free plugins and tutorials on my website
>> ----------------------------------------------------------------
>> Web site        http://www.sosmartsoftware.com/
>> Email        [hidden email]/
>> Phone        33 (0)1 43 31 77 62
>> Mobile        33 (0)6 20 74 50 86
>> ----------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> use-revolution mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your  
>> subscription preferences:
>> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
>>
>>
>
> _______________________________________________
> use-revolution mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your  
> subscription preferences:
> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
>
>

_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution