Quantcast

Browser Widget Appears to be caching data (javascript)?

Browser Widget Appears to be caching data (javascript)?

Richard Gaskin via use-livecode
Hi All,

How do you get the browser widget to dump any cached web content?

I have an html5 panoramic running in a browser widget. I change the javascript code associated to a hotspot to point to a different url, but the hotspot link continues to point to the old URL.

If I launch the panorama in a browser (Chrome,) the hotspot points to the changed url.

Why after loading the panorama in the browser widget does the hotspot continue to point to the old url?

Thank you!

John Patten
SUSD

Re: Browser Widget Appears to be caching data (javascript)?

Richard Gaskin via use-livecode
John:
Try adding “?” to the URL. This should force reload.
Bill

> On Feb 5, 2017, at 11:31 AM, JOHN PATTEN via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi All,
>
> How do you get the browser widget to dump any cached web content?
>
> I have an html5 panoramic running in a browser widget. I change the javascript code associated to a hotspot to point to a different url, but the hotspot link continues to point to the old URL.
>
> If I launch the panorama in a browser (Chrome,) the hotspot points to the changed url.
>
> Why after loading the panorama in the browser widget does the hotspot continue to point to the old url?
>
> Thank you!
>
> John Patten
> SUSD

Re: Browser Widget Appears to be caching data (javascript)?

Richard Gaskin via use-livecode
Hi Bill,

Did not seem to make a difference with the “?” added to the end. It is still going to the old site.

I have attached an example stack. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6767916/Pano%20JavaScript%20Tester.livecode.zip

The “cow” hotspot should launch the NASA site instead of the cow site.  (I’m guessing it will work for you the first time though. I would have to change the url in the javascript after you were to try it once, and then see if the hotspot goes to the new url.)

The cow hotspot should be going to the nasa.gov site.

Thank you!

John Patten
SUSD

> On Feb 5, 2017, at 11:53 AM, William Prothero via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> John:
> Try adding “?” to the URL. This should force reload.
> Bill
>
>> On Feb 5, 2017, at 11:31 AM, JOHN PATTEN via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> How do you get the browser widget to dump any cached web content?
>>
>> I have an html5 panoramic running in a browser widget. I change the javascript code associated to a hotspot to point to a different url, but the hotspot link continues to point to the old URL.
>>
>> If I launch the panorama in a browser (Chrome,) the hotspot points to the changed url.
>>
>> Why after loading the panorama in the browser widget does the hotspot continue to point to the old url?
>>
>> Thank you!
>>
>> John Patten
>> SUSD

Re: Browser Widget Appears to be caching data (javascript)?

Richard Gaskin via use-livecode
On the park Pano, I clicked the Fox and got to the “The Fox Project”, clicked the cow and got to the NASA site several times. If I click on the chicken, I get the “Damn” message and after that, every time I click on the pano, I get the “Damn” message. If I reload the pano, I don’t get it. It seems to go to the right place. I’m on OSX 10.11.6 Livecode 9.0.0(dp4)

John, this is a very cool project. I hope you get it working. I’d love to be able to use your VR framework. One of my colleagues created a VR exploration of the East Pacific Rise, with lots of videos, etc. It stopped working when Quicktime VR went away. It was written in Director, ages ago. But, it was a very cool app and would be really wonderful to be able to resurrect it in livecode.

Best,
Bill

> On Feb 5, 2017, at 12:16 PM, JOHN PATTEN via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Bill,
>
> Did not seem to make a difference with the “?” added to the end. It is still going to the old site.
>
> I have attached an example stack. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6767916/Pano%20JavaScript%20Tester.livecode.zip
>
> The “cow” hotspot should launch the NASA site instead of the cow site.  (I’m guessing it will work for you the first time though. I would have to change the url in the javascript after you were to try it once, and then see if the hotspot goes to the new url.)
>
> The cow hotspot should be going to the nasa.gov site.
>

> Thank you!
>
> John Patten
> SUSD
>> On Feb 5, 2017, at 11:53 AM, William Prothero via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> John:
>> Try adding “?” to the URL. This should force reload.
>> Bill
>>
>>> On Feb 5, 2017, at 11:31 AM, JOHN PATTEN via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> How do you get the browser widget to dump any cached web content?
>>>
>>> I have an html5 panoramic running in a browser widget. I change the javascript code associated to a hotspot to point to a different url, but the hotspot link continues to point to the old URL.
>>>
>>> If I launch the panorama in a browser (Chrome,) the hotspot points to the changed url.
>>>
>>> Why after loading the panorama in the browser widget does the hotspot continue to point to the old url?
>>>
>>> Thank you!
>>>
>>> John Patten
>>> SUSD

Re: Browser Widget Appears to be caching data (javascript)?

Richard Gaskin via use-livecode
John: Ditto what Bill said…that, keep us all posted! Possibly get a thread going on the multi-media are of the forums?

 William Prothero:

    John, this is a very cool project. I hope you get it working. I’d love to be able to use your VR framework. One of my colleagues created a VR exploration of the East Pacific Rise, with lots of videos, etc. It stopped working when Quicktime VR went away. It was written in Director, ages ago. But, it was a very cool app and would be really wonderful to be able to resurrect it in livecode.

Re: Browser Widget Appears to be caching data (javascript)?

Richard Gaskin via use-livecode
if just tacking on a ? at the end doesn't work, do this instead.  Tack on
the ?dummyvar=1234125 where 1234125 is "the seconds."  That way its always
a unique url and should do a fresh load.

On Sun, Feb 5, 2017 at 1:44 PM, Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami via use-livecode
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> John: Ditto what Bill said…that, keep us all posted! Possibly get a thread
> going on the multi-media are of the forums?
>
>  William Prothero:
>
>     John, this is a very cool project. I hope you get it working. I’d love
> to be able to use your VR framework. One of my colleagues created a VR
> exploration of the East Pacific Rise, with lots of videos, etc. It stopped
> working when Quicktime VR went away. It was written in Director, ages ago.
> But, it was a very cool app and would be really wonderful to be able to
> resurrect it in livecode.

Re: Browser Widget Appears to be caching data (javascript)?

Richard Gaskin via use-livecode
Old site? This may be DNS caching not browser caching. Clear the cache on your computer, and if possible, if you have a local DNS server, clear that cache as well.

Bob S

> On Feb 5, 2017, at 12:16 , JOHN PATTEN via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Bill,
>
> Did not seem to make a difference with the “?” added to the end. It is still going to the old site.
>
> I have attached an example stack. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6767916/Pano%20JavaScript%20Tester.livecode.zip
>
> The “cow” hotspot should launch the NASA site instead of the cow site.  (I’m guessing it will work for you the first time though. I would have to change the url in the javascript after you were to try it once, and then see if the hotspot goes to the new url.)
>
> The cow hotspot should be going to the nasa.gov site.
>

> Thank you!
>
> John Patten
> SUSD
>> On Feb 5, 2017, at 11:53 AM, William Prothero via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> John:
>> Try adding “?” to the URL. This should force reload.
>> Bill
>>
>>> On Feb 5, 2017, at 11:31 AM, JOHN PATTEN via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> How do you get the browser widget to dump any cached web content?
>>>
>>> I have an html5 panoramic running in a browser widget. I change the javascript code associated to a hotspot to point to a different url, but the hotspot link continues to point to the old URL.
>>>
>>> If I launch the panorama in a browser (Chrome,) the hotspot points to the changed url.
>>>
>>> Why after loading the panorama in the browser widget does the hotspot continue to point to the old url?
>>>
>>> Thank you!
>>>
>>> John Patten
>>> SUSD

Re: Browser Widget Appears to be caching data (javascript)?

Richard Gaskin via use-livecode
In an actual browser (at least as far as I know) one doesn't have to resort
to tricks.  Like in chrome, ctrl-f5 bipasses cache and reloads.  More info
here.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Bypass_your_cache

On Mon, Feb 6, 2017 at 9:01 AM, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Old site? This may be DNS caching not browser caching. Clear the cache on
> your computer, and if possible, if you have a local DNS server, clear that
> cache as well.
>
> Bob S
>

> > On Feb 5, 2017, at 12:16 , JOHN PATTEN via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Bill,
> >
> > Did not seem to make a difference with the “?” added to the end. It is
> still going to the old site.
> >
> > I have attached an example stack. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.
> com/u/6767916/Pano%20JavaScript%20Tester.livecode.zip
> >
> > The “cow” hotspot should launch the NASA site instead of the cow site.
> (I’m guessing it will work for you the first time though. I would have to
> change the url in the javascript after you were to try it once, and then
> see if the hotspot goes to the new url.)
> >
> > The cow hotspot should be going to the nasa.gov site.
> >

> > Thank you!
> >
> > John Patten
> > SUSD
> >> On Feb 5, 2017, at 11:53 AM, William Prothero via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> John:
> >> Try adding “?” to the URL. This should force reload.
> >> Bill

> javascript code associated to a hotspot to point to a different url, but
> the hotspot link continues to point to the old URL.

> the changed url.

> continue to point to the old url?

Re: Browser Widget Appears to be caching data (javascript)?

Richard Gaskin via use-livecode
Right. But that is the browser cache. If you are talking about a url resolving to a different site, that is a function of DNS, which is totally separate from the browser cache the browser maintains. I do not think the browser is capable of bypassing DNS caching.

But maybe I misunderstand the problem.

Bob S

On Feb 6, 2017, at 08:39 , Mike Bonner via use-livecode <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

In an actual browser (at least as far as I know) one doesn't have to resort
to tricks.  Like in chrome, ctrl-f5 bipasses cache and reloads.  More info
here.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Bypass_your_cache

Re: Browser Widget Appears to be caching data (javascript)?

Richard Gaskin via use-livecode
I see where you're going with that, and yeah I believe the mutating url
would get around a dns cache.  Cool!    (you can also do it with #134143..
I believe.  There were posts re: this in the forum way back.)

On Mon, Feb 6, 2017 at 9:45 AM, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Right. But that is the browser cache. If you are talking about a url
> resolving to a different site, that is a function of DNS, which is totally
> separate from the browser cache the browser maintains. I do not think the
> browser is capable of bypassing DNS caching.
>
> But maybe I misunderstand the problem.
>
> Bob S
>

> On Feb 6, 2017, at 08:39 , Mike Bonner via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>
> wrote:
>
> In an actual browser (at least as far as I know) one doesn't have to resort
> to tricks.  Like in chrome, ctrl-f5 bipasses cache and reloads.  More info
> here.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Bypass_your_cache

RE: Browser Widget Appears to be caching data (JavaScript)?

Richard Gaskin via use-livecode
To refresh a browser cache I put an argument on the URL that is different
from the last request and the cache will be invalidated. In LC I put
"&seconds=12345678" at the end of the URL arguments or if there are no
arguments then I put "?seconds=12345678" where "12345678" is the LC "the
seconds". This only helps if there is no more than 1 request per second. I
there are more that "the milliseconds" would be more appropriate.

The local DNS cache can be refreshed on Windows by "ipconfig /flushdns". I'm
sure that this is function is available on other platforms. Then you are
getting the next level of DNS that you might/might not have access to. If
the next level is your router you can reset that DNS cache, but after that
you have to wait for it to propagate. The TTL of the DNS entry gives an
maximum time this will take. I practice I have found that this happens much
quicker. I use DynDns for IPs that change regularly and that seems to happen
very quickly.

Ralph DiMola
IT Director
Evergreen Information Services

Re: Browser Widget Appears to be caching data (javascript)?

Richard Gaskin via use-livecode
I had the DNS caching problem in one project. We had to resort to the "?"
trick. Without it, different computers or browsers would all load the older
file, which usually didn't update for 24 hours.

On February 6, 2017 10:47:43 AM Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Right. But that is the browser cache. If you are talking about a url
> resolving to a different site, that is a function of DNS, which is totally
> separate from the browser cache the browser maintains. I do not think the
> browser is capable of bypassing DNS caching.
>
> But maybe I misunderstand the problem.
>
> Bob S
>

> On Feb 6, 2017, at 08:39 , Mike Bonner via use-livecode
> <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
> In an actual browser (at least as far as I know) one doesn't have to resort
> to tricks.  Like in chrome, ctrl-f5 bipasses cache and reloads.  More info
> here.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Bypass_your_cache

Re: Browser Widget Appears to be caching data (javascript)?

Richard Gaskin via use-livecode
From Stack Overflow:

"There's no guaranteed way to force the user to clear the DNS cache, and it is often done by their ISP on top of their OS. It shouldn't take more than 24 hours for the updated DNS to propagate. Your best option is to make the transition seamless to the user by using something like mod_proxy with Apache to create a reverse proxy to your new server. That would cause all queries to the old server to still return the proper results and after a few days you would be free to remove the reverse proxy."

Another way is to simple create a redirect on the old page.

Bob S

--
Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>
HyperActive Software           |     http://www.hyperactivesw.com<http://www.hyperactivesw.com/>

Re: Browser Widget Appears to be caching data (JavaScript)?

Richard Gaskin via use-livecode
Are you serving this content yourself from your web server? If so there are "cb" (cache busting) methods already well worked out.

e.g.

logo.jpg  # on disk
logo-cb123455678.jpg  # in the html code

and mod-rewrite handles the translation back to the original image. So you can update "logo.jpg" without changing it's name, but your content assembly system appends the cache busting string to the outgoing html… (Ralf does this in RevIgniter)

BR