Browser Widget Layer on mobile

Curry Kenworthy via use-livecode
Greetings!

I am working on a mobile app where I have a bowser widget in a group that is scrollable.  It scrolls just fine (frankly, smoother that I thought it would!).  However, there is a problem when the widget gets scrolled past the bounds of the group’s rect.  On my mac, it’s working correctly, but on a real device (and the simulator), the bowser widget is being shown even outside the rect of the group – like it’s not in the group.

Here’s a screen shot of what I’m talking about:  http://www.clearvisiontech.com/temp/sampleImage.jpg

Any thoughts or advise are appreciated!

-Dan

Re: Browser Widget Layer on mobile

Curry Kenworthy via use-livecode
I may not be stating it in the right terms, but native controls are above everything else in their own layer.
On Jun 22, 2018, 5:37 PM -0500, Dan Friedman via use-livecode <[hidden email]>, wrote:

> Greetings!
>
> I am working on a mobile app where I have a bowser widget in a group that is scrollable. It scrolls just fine (frankly, smoother that I thought it would!). However, there is a problem when the widget gets scrolled past the bounds of the group’s rect. On my mac, it’s working correctly, but on a real device (and the simulator), the bowser widget is being shown even outside the rect of the group – like it’s not in the group.
>
> Here’s a screen shot of what I’m talking about: http://www.clearvisiontech.com/temp/sampleImage.jpg
>
> Any thoughts or advise are appreciated!
>
> -Dan

Re: Browser Widget Layer on mobile

Curry Kenworthy via use-livecode
Brian,

I think that’s true for Native Controls, but I’m seeing different results for the bowser widget.  I find that if I put the bowser widget in a group, it draws within the group’s bounds like other controls.  What I’m experiencing is that on Mobile (at least iOS), it’s acting like a standard native control, not like it does on desktop.

-Dan

> I may not be stating it in the right terms, but native controls are above everything else in their own layer.

>> I am working on a mobile app where I have a bowser widget in a group that is scrollable. It scrolls just fine (frankly, smoother that I thought it would!). However, there is a problem when the widget gets scrolled past the bounds of the group’s rect. On my mac, it’s working correctly, but on a real device (and the simulator), the bowser widget is being shown even outside the rect of the group – like it’s not in the group.
>>
>> Here’s a screen shot of what I’m talking about: http://www.clearvisiontech.com/temp/sampleImage.jpg
>>
>> Any thoughts or advise are appreciated!
>>
>> -Dan

Re: Browser Widget Layer on mobile

Curry Kenworthy via use-livecode
Hi Dan

This sounds like a bug to me. For widgets that are in groups we create an extra container layer view to put them in so they should be clipped to the group rect and also as close as possible respect the layering of objects on the card. It sounds like it’s working correctly for you on mac but not on iOS. Could you open a report with an example stack please?

Cheers

Monte

> On 24 Jun 2018, at 3:49 am, Dan Friedman via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Brian,
>
> I think that’s true for Native Controls, but I’m seeing different results for the bowser widget.  I find that if I put the bowser widget in a group, it draws within the group’s bounds like other controls.  What I’m experiencing is that on Mobile (at least iOS), it’s acting like a standard native control, not like it does on desktop.
>
> -Dan
>
>> I may not be stating it in the right terms, but native controls are above everything else in their own layer.
>

>>> I am working on a mobile app where I have a bowser widget in a group that is scrollable. It scrolls just fine (frankly, smoother that I thought it would!). However, there is a problem when the widget gets scrolled past the bounds of the group’s rect. On my mac, it’s working correctly, but on a real device (and the simulator), the bowser widget is being shown even outside the rect of the group – like it’s not in the group.
>>>
>>> Here’s a screen shot of what I’m talking about: http://www.clearvisiontech.com/temp/sampleImage.jpg
>>>
>>> Any thoughts or advise are appreciated!
>>>
>>> -Dan

Tessellated hexagonal grid?

Curry Kenworthy via use-livecode
Quite a few old school (and a few newer) games use a tessellated hexagonal grid.  Remember Railway Rivals, anyone?

I just started to play around with the idea of a grid using Livecode polygons.  Specifically, a map that can grow organically by sprouting  hexes at the edges.  I was surprised and disappointed to see how tricky it looks to be to do 'on the fly’ i.e. creating and then aligning hexes.

Has anyone else played around with this?  Any advice?  It seems to me that the line of least resistance is to have a huge grid of ready tessellated invisible hexes which can be shown as required.

Best Wishes,
David Glasgow

Re: Tessellated hexagonal grid?

Curry Kenworthy via use-livecode
I have fooled around with hexagons as well, and they have to be, either;

1. Hexagonal SVG widgets,

or

2, Hexagons embedded in transparent squares as PGN images - with the

inevitable consequence that if you start using INTERSECT you must be
very careful

to set a transparency "trap" a bit like this:

*if intersect(img "firstHEX",img "secondHEX",5) then*

Richmond.

On 25.06.2018 12:46, David V Glasgow via use-livecode wrote:

> Quite a few old school (and a few newer) games use a tessellated hexagonal grid.  Remember Railway Rivals, anyone?
>
> I just started to play around with the idea of a grid using Livecode polygons.  Specifically, a map that can grow organically by sprouting  hexes at the edges.  I was surprised and disappointed to see how tricky it looks to be to do 'on the fly’ i.e. creating and then aligning hexes.
>

> Has anyone else played around with this?  Any advice?  It seems to me that the line of least resistance is to have a huge grid of ready tessellated invisible hexes which can be shown as required.
>

> Best Wishes,
> David Glasgow

Re: Tessellated hexagonal grid?

Curry Kenworthy via use-livecode
Hi David,

The old “Traveller” space game used to use hexes a lot.
Now that computers are so powerful you can do almost
anything.

Here’s an example using hexes.  Try zooming in and out.
Play around with the eye candy settings etc. It’s quite
impressive!

https://travellermap.com/?options=25591&scale=45.2578125 <https://travellermap.com/?options=25591&scale=45.2578125>

Cheers,

Rick

> On Jun 25, 2018, at 5:46 AM, David V Glasgow via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Quite a few old school (and a few newer) games use a tessellated hexagonal grid.  Remember Railway Rivals, anyone?
>
> I just started to play around with the idea of a grid using Livecode polygons.  Specifically, a map that can grow organically by sprouting  hexes at the edges.  I was surprised and disappointed to see how tricky it looks to be to do 'on the fly’ i.e. creating and then aligning hexes.
>

> Has anyone else played around with this?  Any advice?  It seems to me that the line of least resistance is to have a huge grid of ready tessellated invisible hexes which can be shown as required.
>

> Best Wishes,
> David Glasgow

Re: Tessellated hexagonal grid?

Curry Kenworthy via use-livecode
Here a rather complete guide to the "theory" with a link
to implementation guides for several programming languages,
especially, close to LC, JavaScript.

https://www.redblobgames.com/grids/hexagons/

Re: Tessellated hexagonal grid?

Curry Kenworthy via use-livecode
Thanks for all the responses regarding hexes.

I had already worked through the ‘redblobgames’ resources, and it was the prospect of trying to implement a hex system in Livecode which was the gotcha.

The frustrating thing is that the polygon object displays a nice scaleable hex - and yet it seems this is not a viable route?  Why would SVG be any better?  (thats not a lament or rhetorical question, I would be very interested to know)

Cheers

David Glasgow

> On 27 Jun 2018, at 10:30 am, hh via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Here a rather complete guide to the "theory" with a link
> to implementation guides for several programming languages,
> especially, close to LC, JavaScript.
>
> https://www.redblobgames.com/grids/hexagons/

Re: Tessellated hexagonal grid?

Curry Kenworthy via use-livecode
One of the problems about any polygonal shape in LiveCode is that it
still subsists inside a square/rectangle.

That might seem like a crashingly obvious remark until one starts to
consider how squares and how hexagons tesselate.

And, even more to the point, how the human brain (and, face facts, most
of the time we are likely to be dealing
with either a square or hexagonal grid on a computer is because we want
to "fool" humans into believing that
what the screen presents them with is a square or hexagonal grid with
all the functionality and meaning of
square or hexagonal grids in the real world).

If I pretend I am a flat-earther, and that the earth I live on is
hexagonal, I want all those people who are
silly enough to believe that the world is spherical to fall off the
hexagonal earth at the vertices of the hexagon,
and not the vertices of some other polygonal shape that encloses my
hexagonal earth that's vertices are
not completely congruent with that hexagon.

I'm messing around with hexagons right now, and will post some of my
thoughts in the Forum.

Richmond.

On 27/6/2018 1:42 pm, David V Glasgow via use-livecode wrote:

> Thanks for all the responses regarding hexes.
>
> I had already worked through the ‘redblobgames’ resources, and it was the prospect of trying to implement a hex system in Livecode which was the gotcha.
>
> The frustrating thing is that the polygon object displays a nice scaleable hex - and yet it seems this is not a viable route?  Why would SVG be any better?  (thats not a lament or rhetorical question, I would be very interested to know)
>
> Cheers
>
> David Glasgow
>
>> On 27 Jun 2018, at 10:30 am, hh via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Here a rather complete guide to the "theory" with a link
>> to implementation guides for several programming languages,
>> especially, close to LC, JavaScript.
>>
>> https://www.redblobgames.com/grids/hexagons/

Re: Tessellated hexagonal grid?

Curry Kenworthy via use-livecode
"If I pretend I am a flat-earther, and that the earth I live on is
hexagonal, I want all those people who are
silly enough to believe that the world is spherical to fall off the
hexagonal earth at the vertices of the hexagon,
and not the vertices of some other polygonal shape that encloses my
hexagonal earth that's vertices are
not completely congruent with that hexagon.
​"

!!!
This concept should be in the constitution of every country in the world.
If they have one.

sqb​

--
Stephen Barncard - Sebastopol Ca. USA -
mixstream.org

On Wed, Jun 27, 2018 at 7:22 AM, Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> One of the problems about any polygonal shape in LiveCode is that it still
> subsists inside a square/rectangle.
>
> That might seem like a crashingly obvious remark until one starts to
> consider how squares and how hexagons tesselate.
>
> And, even more to the point, how the human brain (and, face facts, most of
> the time we are likely to be dealing
> with either a square or hexagonal grid on a computer is because we want to
> "fool" humans into believing that
> what the screen presents them with is a square or hexagonal grid with all
> the functionality and meaning of
> square or hexagonal grids in the real world).
>
> If I pretend I am a flat-earther, and that the earth I live on is
> hexagonal, I want all those people who are
> silly enough to believe that the world is spherical to fall off the
> hexagonal earth at the vertices of the hexagon,
> and not the vertices of some other polygonal shape that encloses my
> hexagonal earth that's vertices are
> not completely congruent with that hexagon.
>
> I'm messing around with hexagons right now, and will post some of my
> thoughts in the Forum.
>
> Richmond.
>

> On 27/6/2018 1:42 pm, David V Glasgow via use-livecode wrote:
>
>> Thanks for all the responses regarding hexes.
>>
>> I had already worked through the ‘redblobgames’ resources, and it was the
>> prospect of trying to implement a hex system in Livecode which was the
>> gotcha.
>>
>> The frustrating thing is that the polygon object displays a nice
>> scaleable hex - and yet it seems this is not a viable route?  Why would SVG
>> be any better?  (thats not a lament or rhetorical question, I would be very
>> interested to know)
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> David Glasgow
>>
>> On 27 Jun 2018, at 10:30 am, hh via use-livecode <
>>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Here a rather complete guide to the "theory" with a link
>>> to implementation guides for several programming languages,
>>> especially, close to LC, JavaScript.
>>>
>>> https://www.redblobgames.com/grids/hexagons/

Re: Tessellated hexagonal grid?

Curry Kenworthy via use-livecode
Great resource and read.

Thanks!

Rick

David V Glasgow wrote:

 > I had already worked through the ‘redblobgames’ resources, and it was
 > the prospect of trying to implement a hex system in Livecode which was
 > the gotcha.
 >
 > The frustrating thing is that the polygon object displays a nice
 > scaleable hex - and yet it seems this is not a viable route?

I don't see why not.

There may be challenges if you have a very small tile size with many
thousands of hexagons.  But you'd need quite a few before the object
count would pose a difficulty.

Catan has only 19 tiles, and has captivated millions of minds for decades.

Even if you need several hundred, you'll likely find using LC's built-in
hit-testing for those more efficient -- and certainly much easier to
code -- than calculating boundaries arithmetically on the fly.

I started exploring hex grids myself a few months ago, in a rare evening
of spare time.  Didn't come up with much worth sharing (I have no
immediate need at the moment so I didn't spend much time with it), other
than recognizing the value of a few key functions (finding bounding
tiles, managing directional options, etc.) and gaining a healthy
admiration for how much more straightforward this sort of work is made
when using LC's native objects.

Re: Tessellated hexagonal grid?

Curry Kenworthy via use-livecode
I would agree if I understood one word of it, or even what the problem was this approach was trying to solve.

Bob S

> On Jun 27, 2018, at 08:42 , Rick Harrison via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Great resource and read.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Rick
>
>> On Jun 27, 2018, at 5:30 AM, hh via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Here a rather complete guide to the "theory" with a link
>> to implementation guides for several programming languages,
>> especially, close to LC, JavaScript.
>>
>> https://www.redblobgames.com/grids/hexagons/

Re: Tessellated hexagonal grid?

Curry Kenworthy via use-livecode
Not sure whether you really want to know or not ;-)

Richmond puts his finger on it really.  Most of the properties of a graphic polygon don’t relate to geometric features of the polygon itself - except when it is a rect.  So, as Richard says, tiling them or otherwise changing properties of target and adjacent hexes on the fly will involve what the Bash Street Kids called "hard sums”  <https://www.beano.com/posts/beanotown-confidential-bash-street-school-staff-room>.

If I do go with hexes, I’m thinking the lazy way (my way) would be to simply show hidden hexes rather than allow allow true creation.  That would mean having a hard edge - which on the plus side would at least prevent Richmond’s flat earther’s falling off.

Best wishes,

David G

> On 27 Jun 2018, at 10:32 pm, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I would agree if I understood one word of it, or even what the problem was this approach was trying to solve.
>
> Bob S
>

>> On Jun 27, 2018, at 08:42 , Rick Harrison via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Great resource and read.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Rick
>>
>>> On Jun 27, 2018, at 5:30 AM, hh via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Here a rather complete guide to the "theory" with a link
>>> to implementation guides for several programming languages,
>>> especially, close to LC, JavaScript.
>>>
>>> https://www.redblobgames.com/grids/hexagons/

Re: Tessellated hexagonal grid?

Curry Kenworthy via use-livecode
Hi David,
Even with complex shapes, it’s pretty easy (once you have a template version) just to clone it, and then place it appropriately (and obviously that can be based on its centre, or, as you say, the edges of its rectangle). The maths shouldn’t be that hard (& I speak as someone who hates hard sums 😱).

Sent from my iPhone

> On 29 Jun 2018, at 12:05, David V Glasgow via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Not sure whether you really want to know or not ;-)
>
> Richmond puts his finger on it really.  Most of the properties of a graphic polygon don’t relate to geometric features of the polygon itself - except when it is a rect.  So, as Richard says, tiling them or otherwise changing properties of target and adjacent hexes on the fly will involve what the Bash Street Kids called "hard sums”  <https://www.beano.com/posts/beanotown-confidential-bash-street-school-staff-room>.
>
> If I do go with hexes, I’m thinking the lazy way (my way) would be to simply show hidden hexes rather than allow allow true creation.  That would mean having a hard edge - which on the plus side would at least prevent Richmond’s flat earther’s falling off.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> David G
>
>> On 27 Jun 2018, at 10:32 pm, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I would agree if I understood one word of it, or even what the problem was this approach was trying to solve.
>>
>> Bob S
>>

>>> On Jun 27, 2018, at 08:42 , Rick Harrison via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Great resource and read.
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> Rick

Re: Tessellated hexagonal grid?

Curry Kenworthy via use-livecode
I cannot for the life of me work out why it is relatively easy to
tessellate hexagons in BBC BASIC
on my BBC MODEL B while it is such a P.I.A. in LiveCode.

https://computer-literacy-project.pilots.bbcconnectedstudio.co.uk/jsbeeb/index.html?disc1=CLP0001.ssd&loadBasic=%2Fbeeb%2Floader%2F7c8bf2e3-5488-6322-09d6-e137cdae5605&autorun=1&model=Master

Richmond.

On 29/6/2018 2:05 pm, David V Glasgow via use-livecode wrote:

> Not sure whether you really want to know or not ;-)
>
> Richmond puts his finger on it really.  Most of the properties of a graphic polygon don’t relate to geometric features of the polygon itself - except when it is a rect.  So, as Richard says, tiling them or otherwise changing properties of target and adjacent hexes on the fly will involve what the Bash Street Kids called "hard sums”  <https://www.beano.com/posts/beanotown-confidential-bash-street-school-staff-room>.
>
> If I do go with hexes, I’m thinking the lazy way (my way) would be to simply show hidden hexes rather than allow allow true creation.  That would mean having a hard edge - which on the plus side would at least prevent Richmond’s flat earther’s falling off.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> David G
>
>> On 27 Jun 2018, at 10:32 pm, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I would agree if I understood one word of it, or even what the problem was this approach was trying to solve.
>>
>> Bob S
>>

>>> On Jun 27, 2018, at 08:42 , Rick Harrison via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Great resource and read.
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> Rick

Re: Tessellated hexagonal grid?

Curry Kenworthy via use-livecode
Come to think of things, I ran off a load of tessellating hexagons in
Turtle Graphics about
2 weeks ago using fekking code blocks.

Richmond.

On 29/6/2018 8:53 pm, Richmond Mathewson wrote:

> I cannot for the life of me work out why it is relatively easy to
> tessellate hexagons in BBC BASIC
> on my BBC MODEL B while it is such a P.I.A. in LiveCode.
>
> https://computer-literacy-project.pilots.bbcconnectedstudio.co.uk/jsbeeb/index.html?disc1=CLP0001.ssd&loadBasic=%2Fbeeb%2Floader%2F7c8bf2e3-5488-6322-09d6-e137cdae5605&autorun=1&model=Master
>
> Richmond.
>
> On 29/6/2018 2:05 pm, David V Glasgow via use-livecode wrote:
>> Not sure whether you really want to know or not ;-)
>>
>> Richmond puts his finger on it really.  Most of the properties of a graphic polygon don’t relate to geometric features of the polygon itself - except when it is a rect.  So, as Richard says, tiling them or otherwise changing properties of target and adjacent hexes on the fly will involve what the Bash Street Kids called "hard sums”<https://www.beano.com/posts/beanotown-confidential-bash-street-school-staff-room>.
>>
>> If I do go with hexes, I’m thinking the lazy way (my way) would be to simply show hidden hexes rather than allow allow true creation.  That would mean having a hard edge - which on the plus side would at least prevent Richmond’s flat earther’s falling off.
>>
>> Best wishes,
>>
>> David G
>>
>>> On 27 Jun 2018, at 10:32 pm, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>>
>>> I would agree if I understood one word of it, or even what the problem was this approach was trying to solve.
>>>
>>> Bob S

Re: Tessellated hexagonal grid?

Curry Kenworthy via use-livecode
A simple hexagonal grid creating stack:
http://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.php?p=168657#p168657

You choose the number of rows and columns and, for "scaling",
the horizontal radius and vertical radius of the circumellipses.

Re: Tessellated hexagonal grid?

Curry Kenworthy via use-livecode
Marvellous.

Thank you very much indeed!