Browser widget and PDFs

Pi Digital via use-livecode
I have come across a puzzling phenomenon in how the browser widget handles pdfs. On my iMac I do no have Adobe Reader or Adobe Acrobat installed. Here, the browser widget displays pdf-files without any hiccups. On my MacBook I have Adobe Acrobat installed, and the browser widget seems to use Adobe Acrobat to display pdf-files inside the widget. When I remove Adobe Acrobat from the application folder, trying to view a pdf-file in the browser widget will prompt me to locate either Adobe Acrobat or Adobe Reader.

Are there any way I can «force» the widget to ignore Acrobat or Reader entirely, and will I be able to view pdf-files in the widget on bothMac and Windows if I do so?

Best Regards
Tore Nilsen

Re: Browser widget and PDFs

Pi Digital via use-livecode
Could this be related to the default app that handles PDF on your Mac?

Thanks,
Brian
On Nov 22, 2018, 11:53 AM -0500, Tore Nilsen via use-livecode <[hidden email]>, wrote:

> I have come across a puzzling phenomenon in how the browser widget handles pdfs. On my iMac I do no have Adobe Reader or Adobe Acrobat installed. Here, the browser widget displays pdf-files without any hiccups. On my MacBook I have Adobe Acrobat installed, and the browser widget seems to use Adobe Acrobat to display pdf-files inside the widget. When I remove Adobe Acrobat from the application folder, trying to view a pdf-file in the browser widget will prompt me to locate either Adobe Acrobat or Adobe Reader.
>
> Are there any way I can «force» the widget to ignore Acrobat or Reader entirely, and will I be able to view pdf-files in the widget on bothMac and Windows if I do so?
>

> Best Regards
> Tore Nilsen

Re: Browser widget and PDFs

Pi Digital via use-livecode
I don’t think so, as the default app is set to be Preview on both machines. In fact I had forgot I had Acrobat installed on my laptop.

Tore Nilsen

> 22. nov. 2018 kl. 17:56 skrev Brian Milby via use-livecode <[hidden email]>:
>
> Could this be related to the default app that handles PDF on your Mac?
>
> Thanks,
> Brian
> On Nov 22, 2018, 11:53 AM -0500, Tore Nilsen via use-livecode <[hidden email]>, wrote:
>> I have come across a puzzling phenomenon in how the browser widget handles pdfs. On my iMac I do no have Adobe Reader or Adobe Acrobat installed. Here, the browser widget displays pdf-files without any hiccups. On my MacBook I have Adobe Acrobat installed, and the browser widget seems to use Adobe Acrobat to display pdf-files inside the widget. When I remove Adobe Acrobat from the application folder, trying to view a pdf-file in the browser widget will prompt me to locate either Adobe Acrobat or Adobe Reader.
>>
>> Are there any way I can «force» the widget to ignore Acrobat or Reader entirely, and will I be able to view pdf-files in the widget on bothMac and Windows if I do so?
>>

>> Best Regards
>> Tore Nilsen

Re: Browser widget and PDFs

Pi Digital via use-livecode
Hi Tore,

> Am 22.11.2018 um 18:01 schrieb Tore Nilsen via use-livecode <[hidden email]>:
> I don’t think so, as the default app is set to be Preview on both machines. In fact I had forgot I had Acrobat installed on my laptop.
> Tore Nilsen
>> Could this be related to the default app that handles PDF on your Mac?
>> Thanks,
>> Brian
>>> I have come across a puzzling phenomenon in how the browser widget handles pdfs. On my iMac I do no have Adobe Reader or Adobe Acrobat installed. Here, the browser widget displays pdf-files without any hiccups. On my MacBook I have Adobe Acrobat installed, and the browser widget seems to use Adobe Acrobat to display pdf-files inside the widget. When I remove Adobe Acrobat from the application folder, trying to view a pdf-file in the browser widget will prompt me to locate either Adobe Acrobat or Adobe Reader. Are there any way I can «force» the widget to ignore Acrobat or Reader entirely, and will I be able to view pdf-files in the widget on bothMac and Windows if I do so?
>>> Best Regards
>>> Tore Nilsen

I don't think we can do anything against this, since if a user (like you) has installed Acrobat Reader and has checked "Use Web plugin"
(or what the correct wording is) somewhere in the Acrobat preferences, that will override the "default" behavior of the underlying webkit
on Mac, which Safari uses, too, to display PDFs "natively".

Best

Klaus

--
Klaus Major
http://www.major-k.de

Re: Browser widget and PDFs

Pi Digital via use-livecode
If the PDF is embedded by ordinary HTML (= set url of the
browser widget or use in its htmlText <embed>, <iframe> or
<object>) then you can't decide for the user which plugin
to use.

But the user can force this for himself by moving the
corresponding plugin(s) in/out of the plugins-folder
(which is on Mac "/Library/Internet Plug-ins").

Controlling is fully possible because the user cannot
disable JavaScript for the browser widget. So you can
use the rendering library "pdf.js":
https://mozilla.github.io/pdf.js/
(which drives the Firefox and Opera PDF-viewer).
This isn't easy to implement if CORS isn't available, but
you can use base64-encoded data URLs without problems.

Re: Browser widget and PDFs

Pi Digital via use-livecode
Thank you all for your responses, they helped me solve the problem for my part. It is indeed the Adobe web Plugin that is the key to this. Although I have never checked that I would like to use this plugin, it seems as if just launching Acrobat will do this automatically. In the Acrobat preferences the check button for this  is set to true, and the button is disabled. I ended up removing Acrobat from the system, but I could probably have followed Hermans advice and just remove the plugin from the Internet plains folder.

Now I have to ask my student to do the same in order to have the pdf-files displayed without all the bells and whistles provided by the plugin.

Best regards
Tore Nilsen

> 22. nov. 2018 kl. 18:06 skrev Klaus major-k via use-livecode <[hidden email]>:
>
> Hi Tore,
>
>> Am 22.11.2018 um 18:01 schrieb Tore Nilsen via use-livecode <[hidden email]>:
>> I don’t think so, as the default app is set to be Preview on both machines. In fact I had forgot I had Acrobat installed on my laptop.
>> Tore Nilsen
>>> Could this be related to the default app that handles PDF on your Mac?
>>> Thanks,
>>> Brian
>
> I don't think we can do anything against this, since if a user (like you) has installed Acrobat Reader and has checked "Use Web plugin"
> (or what the correct wording is) somewhere in the Acrobat preferences, that will override the "default" behavior of the underlying webkit
> on Mac, which Safari uses, too, to display PDFs "natively".
>

> Best
>
> Klaus
>
> --
> Klaus Major
> http://www.major-k.de

Re: Browser widget and PDFs

Pi Digital via use-livecode
I thing there is an Open With option likw Wndows has. Try right clicking apdf and see if you can see an always open with option.

Bob S