Browser widget on linux

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Browser widget on linux

Mark Waddingham via use-livecode
>>> Richard G. wrote (in the 'vertical-text'-thread):
>>> On disk the Linux build of CEF takes up 135 MBs, and like any
>>> browser I would imagine it more than doubles RAM requirements
>>> for an app using it.
>> hh wrote:
>> I would even give a full Gigabyte of RAM if this could make the
>> browser widget work on linux ...
> Richard G. wrote:
> had pretty good luck on Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit - what's your setup?

Richard, I moved this to a new thread, fitting more the subject. Hope
it is OK for you. Thanks that you came in.

After your report I was full of hope that the three years old ubuntu
14.04.5 and LC 8.1.3 or 8.1.4-rc1 would yield a fully functional
browser widget. Installed in a fresh setup Ubuntu 14.04.5 and fresh
LC 8.1.3/8.1.4-rc1/9.0.0.-dp6 (all 'for this user only').

Running 8.1.3-64bit it is better than the others tested below in that
it _randomly_ works correct and doesn't show bug 3 below (yes, bugs 1
2 too). If not working it instead creates several additional processes
libbrowser-cefp.
And it  creates with every startup fresh preferences, declaring the old
one as corrupt. Running 8.1.3 on Ubuntu 14.04.5-32bit is the same as
described below.

Within the last two weeks I tested the following, on real hardware
(additionally some on on virtualBox):
*Latest LTS* of Ubuntu (also Xubuntu, Lubuntu, Mint), Debian, Fedora.

In sum 10 trials (6 on 64bit, 4 on 32bit). All OSes are running without
problems. LC 8.1.3, 8.1.4-rc1, 9.0.0-dp6 runs and works using LC Script.

****** But I had _NO_SUCCESS_ in these 10 trials with a browser widget.
****** I wonder if anybody ever tested the _full_ functionality of the
****** browser widget on a newer LTS linux flavour.

Full functionality means that you can *do* javascript in the browser.
You can't even come into a state to test that: These severe 'bugs'
are common to _all_ my trials (incl. on Ubuntu 16.04.2):

Bug 1: Open a new stack, drag a browser widget symbol from "Tools".
The widget portion of "Tools" disappears. Mostly LC hangs after that,
you need the system monitor or a terminal to kill it.

Bug 2: Open a new stack, create a browser widget by LC-menu or script.
Try to open the property inspector. No reaction.
Try to quit LC. The "something-dialog" burns onto your screen. LC hangs
after that ... (as above).

Bug 3: Open a stack with an included widget that runs on Mac and Win on
all systems that run LC 8/9 (for example: "Browser widget on linux
or "Sample stacks/Browser widget image manipulator" or "Sample stacks/
LCImageToolbox89").
At latest after the second load LC hangs, you need the system monitor
or a terminal to kill it and it's "something-dialog".

I'm deeply disappointed about these extreme results, especially because
we know  that several members of the core team also use linux on their
own machines.

_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Browser widget on linux

Mark Waddingham via use-livecode
Thanks for the background info.

Can you share the bug report ID's so I can follow those in Bugzilla?

--
  Richard Gaskin

hh wrote:

>>>> Richard G. wrote (in the 'vertical-text'-thread):
>>>> On disk the Linux build of CEF takes up 135 MBs, and like any
>>>> browser I would imagine it more than doubles RAM requirements
>>>> for an app using it.
>>> hh wrote:
>>> I would even give a full Gigabyte of RAM if this could make the
>>> browser widget work on linux ...
>> Richard G. wrote:
>> had pretty good luck on Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit - what's your setup?
>
> Richard, I moved this to a new thread, fitting more the subject. Hope
> it is OK for you. Thanks that you came in.
>
> After your report I was full of hope that the three years old ubuntu
> 14.04.5 and LC 8.1.3 or 8.1.4-rc1 would yield a fully functional
> browser widget. Installed in a fresh setup Ubuntu 14.04.5 and fresh
> LC 8.1.3/8.1.4-rc1/9.0.0.-dp6 (all 'for this user only').
>
> Running 8.1.3-64bit it is better than the others tested below in that
> it _randomly_ works correct and doesn't show bug 3 below (yes, bugs 1
> 2 too). If not working it instead creates several additional processes
> libbrowser-cefp.
> And it  creates with every startup fresh preferences, declaring the old
> one as corrupt. Running 8.1.3 on Ubuntu 14.04.5-32bit is the same as
> described below.
>
> Within the last two weeks I tested the following, on real hardware
> (additionally some on on virtualBox):
> *Latest LTS* of Ubuntu (also Xubuntu, Lubuntu, Mint), Debian, Fedora.
>
> In sum 10 trials (6 on 64bit, 4 on 32bit). All OSes are running without
> problems. LC 8.1.3, 8.1.4-rc1, 9.0.0-dp6 runs and works using LC Script.
>
> ****** But I had _NO_SUCCESS_ in these 10 trials with a browser widget.
> ****** I wonder if anybody ever tested the _full_ functionality of the
> ****** browser widget on a newer LTS linux flavour.
>
> Full functionality means that you can *do* javascript in the browser.
> You can't even come into a state to test that: These severe 'bugs'
> are common to _all_ my trials (incl. on Ubuntu 16.04.2):
>
> Bug 1: Open a new stack, drag a browser widget symbol from "Tools".
> The widget portion of "Tools" disappears. Mostly LC hangs after that,
> you need the system monitor or a terminal to kill it.
>
> Bug 2: Open a new stack, create a browser widget by LC-menu or script.
> Try to open the property inspector. No reaction.
> Try to quit LC. The "something-dialog" burns onto your screen. LC hangs
> after that ... (as above).
>
> Bug 3: Open a stack with an included widget that runs on Mac and Win on
> all systems that run LC 8/9 (for example: "Browser widget on linux
> or "Sample stacks/Browser widget image manipulator" or "Sample stacks/
> LCImageToolbox89").
> At latest after the second load LC hangs, you need the system monitor
> or a terminal to kill it and it's "something-dialog".
>
> I'm deeply disappointed about these extreme results, especially because
> we know  that several members of the core team also use linux on their
> own machines.


_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Browser widget on linux

Mark Waddingham via use-livecode
Hi all,

All those problems are essentially caused by the same underlying issue,
which seems to be locale-related.

In comment 81 (!!) of this report
http://quality.livecode.com/show_bug.cgi?id=16848, a community member has
found a workaround, which seems to work for most of the affected users.

The other related bugs Hermann mentioned are those:

bug 16975 <http://quality.livecode.com/show_bug.cgi?id=16975>bug 18025
<http://quality.livecode.com/show_bug.cgi?id=18025>bug 17565
<http://quality.livecode.com/show_bug.cgi?id=17565>bug 17715
<http://quality.livecode.com/show_bug.cgi?id=17715>

Best,
Panos
--

On Thu, Apr 13, 2017 at 5:19 PM, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for the background info.
>
> Can you share the bug report ID's so I can follow those in Bugzilla?
>
> --
>  Richard Gaskin
>
>
> hh wrote:
>
>> Richard G. wrote (in the 'vertical-text'-thread):
>>>>> On disk the Linux build of CEF takes up 135 MBs, and like any
>>>>> browser I would imagine it more than doubles RAM requirements
>>>>> for an app using it.
>>>>>
>>>> hh wrote:
>>>> I would even give a full Gigabyte of RAM if this could make the
>>>> browser widget work on linux ...
>>>>
>>> Richard G. wrote:
>>> had pretty good luck on Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit - what's your setup?
>>>
>>
>> Richard, I moved this to a new thread, fitting more the subject. Hope
>> it is OK for you. Thanks that you came in.
>>
>> After your report I was full of hope that the three years old ubuntu
>> 14.04.5 and LC 8.1.3 or 8.1.4-rc1 would yield a fully functional
>> browser widget. Installed in a fresh setup Ubuntu 14.04.5 and fresh
>> LC 8.1.3/8.1.4-rc1/9.0.0.-dp6 (all 'for this user only').
>>
>> Running 8.1.3-64bit it is better than the others tested below in that
>> it _randomly_ works correct and doesn't show bug 3 below (yes, bugs 1
>> 2 too). If not working it instead creates several additional processes
>> libbrowser-cefp.
>> And it  creates with every startup fresh preferences, declaring the old
>> one as corrupt. Running 8.1.3 on Ubuntu 14.04.5-32bit is the same as
>> described below.
>>
>> Within the last two weeks I tested the following, on real hardware
>> (additionally some on on virtualBox):
>> *Latest LTS* of Ubuntu (also Xubuntu, Lubuntu, Mint), Debian, Fedora.
>>
>> In sum 10 trials (6 on 64bit, 4 on 32bit). All OSes are running without
>> problems. LC 8.1.3, 8.1.4-rc1, 9.0.0-dp6 runs and works using LC Script.
>>
>> ****** But I had _NO_SUCCESS_ in these 10 trials with a browser widget.
>> ****** I wonder if anybody ever tested the _full_ functionality of the
>> ****** browser widget on a newer LTS linux flavour.
>>
>> Full functionality means that you can *do* javascript in the browser.
>> You can't even come into a state to test that: These severe 'bugs'
>> are common to _all_ my trials (incl. on Ubuntu 16.04.2):
>>
>> Bug 1: Open a new stack, drag a browser widget symbol from "Tools".
>> The widget portion of "Tools" disappears. Mostly LC hangs after that,
>> you need the system monitor or a terminal to kill it.
>>
>> Bug 2: Open a new stack, create a browser widget by LC-menu or script.
>> Try to open the property inspector. No reaction.
>> Try to quit LC. The "something-dialog" burns onto your screen. LC hangs
>> after that ... (as above).
>>
>> Bug 3: Open a stack with an included widget that runs on Mac and Win on
>> all systems that run LC 8/9 (for example: "Browser widget on linux
>> or "Sample stacks/Browser widget image manipulator" or "Sample stacks/
>> LCImageToolbox89").
>> At latest after the second load LC hangs, you need the system monitor
>> or a terminal to kill it and it's "something-dialog".
>>
>> I'm deeply disappointed about these extreme results, especially because
>> we know  that several members of the core team also use linux on their
>> own machines.
>>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> use-livecode mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your
> subscription preferences:
> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
>
_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Browser widget on linux

Mark Waddingham via use-livecode
In reply to this post by Mark Waddingham via use-livecode
Looking at Bugzilla, I’m hoping it will soon be time for the Browser widget to be given some attention, and not just on Linux, there seems to be over 30 active bugs. The bug I submitted over 10 months ago was for a crash on Mac OS (Bug 17928 <http://quality.livecode.com/show_bug.cgi?id=17928>), but I gather (and appreciate) the team have been way too busy to address this and the other outstanding bugs, so I’m just sitting and waiting patiently with my projects on hold as there’s no easy workaround for this bug.

On the plus side, when they do rebuild the browser widget, there's lots of useful info in there for the team to deliver a more stable and more useable browser widget, I personally hope it’s not too long before that happens.

Paul

> On 13 Apr 2017, at 09:19, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thanks for the background info.
>
> Can you share the bug report ID's so I can follow those in Bugzilla?
>
> --
> Richard Gaskin
>
> hh wrote:
>>>>> Richard G. wrote (in the 'vertical-text'-thread):
>>>>> On disk the Linux build of CEF takes up 135 MBs, and like any
>>>>> browser I would imagine it more than doubles RAM requirements
>>>>> for an app using it.
>>>> hh wrote:
>>>> I would even give a full Gigabyte of RAM if this could make the
>>>> browser widget work on linux ...
>>> Richard G. wrote:
>>> had pretty good luck on Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit - what's your setup?
>>
>> Richard, I moved this to a new thread, fitting more the subject. Hope
>> it is OK for you. Thanks that you came in.
>>
>> After your report I was full of hope that the three years old ubuntu
>> 14.04.5 and LC 8.1.3 or 8.1.4-rc1 would yield a fully functional
>> browser widget. Installed in a fresh setup Ubuntu 14.04.5 and fresh
>> LC 8.1.3/8.1.4-rc1/9.0.0.-dp6 (all 'for this user only').
>>
>> Running 8.1.3-64bit it is better than the others tested below in that
>> it _randomly_ works correct and doesn't show bug 3 below (yes, bugs 1
>> 2 too). If not working it instead creates several additional processes
>> libbrowser-cefp.
>> And it  creates with every startup fresh preferences, declaring the old
>> one as corrupt. Running 8.1.3 on Ubuntu 14.04.5-32bit is the same as
>> described below.
>>
>> Within the last two weeks I tested the following, on real hardware
>> (additionally some on on virtualBox):
>> *Latest LTS* of Ubuntu (also Xubuntu, Lubuntu, Mint), Debian, Fedora.
>>
>> In sum 10 trials (6 on 64bit, 4 on 32bit). All OSes are running without
>> problems. LC 8.1.3, 8.1.4-rc1, 9.0.0-dp6 runs and works using LC Script.
>>
>> ****** But I had _NO_SUCCESS_ in these 10 trials with a browser widget.
>> ****** I wonder if anybody ever tested the _full_ functionality of the
>> ****** browser widget on a newer LTS linux flavour.
>>
>> Full functionality means that you can *do* javascript in the browser.
>> You can't even come into a state to test that: These severe 'bugs'
>> are common to _all_ my trials (incl. on Ubuntu 16.04.2):
>>
>> Bug 1: Open a new stack, drag a browser widget symbol from "Tools".
>> The widget portion of "Tools" disappears. Mostly LC hangs after that,
>> you need the system monitor or a terminal to kill it.
>>
>> Bug 2: Open a new stack, create a browser widget by LC-menu or script.
>> Try to open the property inspector. No reaction.
>> Try to quit LC. The "something-dialog" burns onto your screen. LC hangs
>> after that ... (as above).
>>
>> Bug 3: Open a stack with an included widget that runs on Mac and Win on
>> all systems that run LC 8/9 (for example: "Browser widget on linux
>> or "Sample stacks/Browser widget image manipulator" or "Sample stacks/
>> LCImageToolbox89").
>> At latest after the second load LC hangs, you need the system monitor
>> or a terminal to kill it and it's "something-dialog".
>>
>> I'm deeply disappointed about these extreme results, especially because
>> we know  that several members of the core team also use linux on their
>> own machines.
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> use-livecode mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode

_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Browser widget on linux

Mark Waddingham via use-livecode
In reply to this post by Mark Waddingham via use-livecode
Hi Pano,
thank you very much for coming in.

Please correct the typo in the first link.
I got "16848 is not a valid bug number" and don't know
which report you mean.

We all know you do a real good job to collect (and even
remove at once some of) and categorize the bugs in a
very complicated  structure.
Let me use this opportunity to thank you for that.

_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Browser widget on linux

Mark Waddingham via use-livecode

> On 13 Apr 2017, at 10:17, hh via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Pano,
> thank you very much for coming in.
>
> Please correct the typo in the first link.
> I got "16848 is not a valid bug number" and don't know
> which report you mean.

hh, maybe try again, it is the correct number, there may have been a glitch when you tried, it just worked fine for me.

> We all know you do a real good job to collect (and even
> remove at once some of) and categorize the bugs in a
> very complicated  structure.
> Let me use this opportunity to thank you for that.

I’ll second that. It can’t be an easy job, especially with all of the platforms involved, that’s just one of the reasons we all need some patience and confidence!

Paul
_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Browser widget on linux

Mark Waddingham via use-livecode
Hi Hermann and Paul,

Thank you for your kind words, much appreciated :)

The previous link does work as expected for me, but in case you still
cannot open it, here it is:

http://quality.livecode.com/show_bug.cgi?id=16848

Best regards,
Panos
--



On Thu, Apr 13, 2017 at 6:31 PM, Paul Hibbert via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> > On 13 Apr 2017, at 10:17, hh via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Pano,
> > thank you very much for coming in.
> >
> > Please correct the typo in the first link.
> > I got "16848 is not a valid bug number" and don't know
> > which report you mean.
>
> hh, maybe try again, it is the correct number, there may have been a
> glitch when you tried, it just worked fine for me.
>
> > We all know you do a real good job to collect (and even
> > remove at once some of) and categorize the bugs in a
> > very complicated  structure.
> > Let me use this opportunity to thank you for that.
>
> I’ll second that. It can’t be an easy job, especially with all of the
> platforms involved, that’s just one of the reasons we all need some
> patience and confidence!
>
> Paul
> _______________________________________________
> use-livecode mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your
> subscription preferences:
> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
>
_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Browser widget on linux

Mark Waddingham via use-livecode
In reply to this post by Mark Waddingham via use-livecode
Hi all.

Panos linked to the following bug report (it is more a discussion):

http://quality.livecode.com/show_bug.cgi?id=16848

The final 'workaround' there by Max Vessi solves several issues on linux.
The property inspector, the script editor, the dictionary and the browser widget
work correcly with that (I tried latest LTS of Ubuntu/Xubuntu/Lubuntu/Mint and
Debian and Fedora).

The trick is to launch LC by a shell script (here if LC Indy 8.1.3 is installed
'for this user only'):

#! /bin/bash
export LC_ALL= LC_NUMERIC=C
export LIBGL_DRI3_DISABLE=1
"/home/<user>/.runrev/components/livecodeindy-8.1.3.x86/LiveCode\ Indy.x86"

** Thanks Max for elaborating this shell-script! **

I used the long path for the home because some desktop environments crash when
using tilde instead.

A utility stack for using this together with a ".desktop"-file is available in
the forum, so that one can launch after that LC "as usual":

http://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.php?p=153351#p153351

It is there also described in detail for all of you who don't use linux as the
main OS, like me (but I switched already a main dev-machine to Mint-Cinnamon) and
prefer to do things 'manually'.

Why all the big fuss about that?

Just try "LC ImageToolBox89: Basics v103" (use livecodeshare or 'Sample stacks').
If you have a decent graphic card, you'll see an image processing speed that is,
compared to LC Script, _extremely_ fast. It handles images of screensize in less
than one second. This is also true for convolution kernels of size up to 7x7 and
color matrices. The latter is nearly finished and I'll make it soon available.

This shows from my view the biggest progress we could make with image processing
in LC in the last years. And LC 8/9 works fine with it, on Mac/ Win/ linux!!

Once again thanks to Jonathan Lynch for hinting to this application possibility of
the browser widget by his affine transform examples (see livecodeshare or 'Sample
stacks').
_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Loading...