Building MetaCard 6.0 OSS

Richmond Mathewson-2
Having tried this using Jacque's tried and tested
stack I got an error message on trying to open
the new version of MC:

object:  stack /.../.../MC6_OPEN/mchome.mc

Line: 31  Column: 20  Processing Token:

Re: Building MetaCard 6.0 OSS

Richard Gaskin
On 4/13/13 8:12 AM, Richmond wrote:
> Having tried this using Jacque's tried and tested
> stack I got an error message on trying to open
> the new version of MC:
>
> object:  stack /.../.../MC6_OPEN/mchome.mc
>
> Line: 31  Column: 20  Processing Token:
>
> Richmond.

The number of volunteers available to maintain the MC IDE is low.  What
do you need to do in MC that can't be done in LC?  Maybe there's a most
cost-effective way to achieve your goal within LC.

Re: Building MetaCard 6.0 OSS

Richmond Mathewson-2
On 04/13/2013 07:34 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> On 4/13/13 8:12 AM, Richmond wrote:
>> Having tried this using Jacque's tried and tested
>> stack I got an error message on trying to open
>> the new version of MC:
>>
>> object:  stack /.../.../MC6_OPEN/mchome.mc
>>
>> Line: 31  Column: 20  Processing Token:
>>
>> Richmond.
>
> The number of volunteers available to maintain the MC IDE is low. What
> do you need to do in MC that can't be done in LC?  Maybe there's a
> most cost-effective way to achieve your goal within LC.

Nothing at all; but I still don't know why people climb Mount Everest :)

Re: Building MetaCard 6.0 OSS

Vokey, John
Same here.  I suspect it has something to do with the (former) licensing code, but the constant throwing of the error makes it impossible to open the script to edit it.

As to Richard's question:  I don't build standalones, I run all my stacks in the IDE (i.e., the original Hypercard model), as do many of my colleagues.  Metacard makes that easy as the IDE stays out of the way.  Not so in the LC IDE.  Furthermore, I find the LC IDE to too busy (indeed, annoying) when I am coding/running.

On 2013-04-13, at 11:00 AM, <[hidden email]>
 wrote:

> Having tried this using Jacque's tried and tested
> stack I got an error message on trying to open
> the new version of MC:
>
> object:  stack /.../.../MC6_OPEN/mchome.mc
>
> Line: 31  Column: 20  Processing Token:
>
> Richmond.

See <http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html>

-Dr. John R. Vokey

Re: Building MetaCard 6.0 OSS

FlexibleLearning.com
> On 04/13/2013 07:34 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
> > On 4/13/13 8:12 AM, Richmond wrote:
> >> Having tried this using Jacque's tried and tested
> >> stack I got an error message on trying to open
> >> the new version of MC:
> >>
> >> object:  stack /.../.../MC6_OPEN/mchome.mc
> >>
> >> Line: 31  Column: 20  Processing Token:
> >>
> >> Richmond.
> >
> > The number of volunteers available to maintain the MC IDE is low. What
> > do you need to do in MC that can't be done in LC?  Maybe there's a
> > most cost-effective way to achieve your goal within LC.
> >

> Nothing at all; but I still don't know why people climb Mount Everest :)
>
> Richmond.

I have to agree with Richmond. The non-impacting MC IDE works for me; the LC
IDE does not. I guess I shall have to await the commercial release of LC
(when my 3yr licence kicks in from kickStarter) to find out if we can
continue with our old friend in this brand new world. Meanwhile, I so most
sincerely hope we shall be able to maintain compatibility.

Hugh Senior
FLCo

Re: Building MetaCard 6.0 OSS

J. Landman Gay
On 4/13/13 12:36 PM, Vokey, John wrote:
> Same here.  I suspect it has something to do with the (former)
> licensing code, but the constant throwing of the error makes it
> impossible to open the script to edit it.

I agree it's likely due to the missing security module. If there's a
locked stack in the message path, and the licensing stack would be part
of that, there isn't anything we can do about it. The engine does not
contain any code to deal with passworded stacks. The LiveCode IDE
ignores those; the MC IDE doesn't know anything about it and won't run
without a license.

You'll need to use the commercial version of LiveCode with the MC IDE.

LiveCode's http methods

Alain Farmer
Hello,

Does LiveCode support HTTP-methods other than GET and POST ?

IOW, does LiveCode support the following http-methods : HEAD, PUT, DELETE

I'm asking because there are web-based CRUDs that could therefore be leveraged. Ex: Couch-DB

CRUD = Create, Read, Update, Delete

Create = PUT
Read  = GET
Update = POST
Delete = DELETE

If it is not currently implemented, are there any bounty-hunters wishing to take this on ?

Btw Couch-DB is a powerful noSQL database, open-source of-course, that is accessed via HTTP.
It's speciality is replication and synchronization. Supports any topology: master-slave, peer-to-peer, etc.
Couch stores everything as JSON, which is JavaScript's native data-exchange format.
JSON is used by many applications. It's easy to generate, and easy to parse.

This could REALLY open-up things for RunRev!  :-))

Alain F.

Re: LiveCode's http methods

Ray Horsley-2
Alain,

I haven't heard your name in so long.  Good to hear from you again.  My son Jason and I are currently working on this very thing.  I believe you've found your bounty-hunters.  We'd love to explore CRUD via http.  What we have to offer right now is what we've discovered uploading/downloading files in various file formats.

It seems the only thing we're missing is delete.  That is, if we can read we can certainly edit what we've read and thenPut, thus accomplishing the Update part of CRUD.  Our next tasks include deleting files as well as creating and deleting directories, in addition to listing the contents of directories.

We're working with standard Linux/Apache using MySql.

Ray Horsley
LinkIt! Software

On Apr 17, 2013, at 5:02 PM, Alain Farmer wrote:

[...]

Jan Schenkel
Hi Alain,

A while back I released an early preview version of Quartam HTTP Library.
It is a non-liburl implementation on top of pure LiveCode sockets so it doesn't work on mobile.
And it doesn't currently have authentication support so very much a work in progress.
But it could serve your purposes for now, and you could give me a hand to improve it :-)

It's available under the commercial-friendly GNU LGPL license.
Download it here: <http://downloads.quartam.com/libqrthttp_030_xplatform.zip>
Join the forum here: <http://forums.quartam.com>

HTH,

Jan Schenkel.

=====
Quartam Reports & PDF Library for LiveCode
www.quartam.com

=====
"As we grow older, we grow both wiser and more foolish at the same time."  (La Rochefoucauld)

________________________________

Open-source version of LiveCode

Alain Farmer
Hello y'all,

I have just installed the open-source version of LiveCode.

Am I correct when I say that it is LiveCode in its entirety ?
Are there features that are only available in the for-money version ?

Is the only requirement that we share what we develop ?

How is this sharing being handled ?
Have any of you adopted Gitorious and/or GitHub ?

I've got TONS of generic handlers that I've developed over the years (with MetaCard 2.5).
How should I share these with y'all ?
Are we just sharing completed apps ?

LiveCode supports the following HTTP methods : GET, POST
I need to know whether LiveCode supports the following HTTP methods : PUT, DELETE
If not, whether these additional http-methods can be scripted with LiveCode? or anything else.

I've gotten a couple of replies, that last time I asked about this.
I will be re-contacting these people, in the coming days.

Alain

Re: Open-source version of LiveCode

J. Landman Gay
This list is pretty much deserted now. Most of your questions have been
discussed on the LiveCode list many times. You can look in the archives
here:
<http://runtime-revolution.278305.n4.nabble.com/>

Basically the only difference is there is no password protection in the
OSS version, and you must distribute your source code with anything you
release.

You really should be on the LiveCode list, or the forums.

On 5/8/13 2:10 AM, Alain Farmer wrote:

> Hello y'all,
>
> I have just installed the open-source version of LiveCode.
>
> Am I correct when I say that it is LiveCode in its entirety ?
> Are there features that are only available in the for-money version ?
>
> Is the only requirement that we share what we develop ?
>
> How is this sharing being handled ?
> Have any of you adopted Gitorious and/or GitHub ?
>
> I've got TONS of generic handlers that I've developed over the years (with MetaCard 2.5).
> How should I share these with y'all ?
> Are we just sharing completed apps ?
>
> LiveCode supports the following HTTP methods : GET, POST
> I need to know whether LiveCode supports the following HTTP methods : PUT, DELETE
> If not, whether these additional http-methods can be scripted with LiveCode? or anything else.
>
> I've gotten a couple of replies, that last time I asked about this.
> I will be re-contacting these people, in the coming days.
>
> Alain

Re: Open-source version of LiveCode

Björnke von Gierke

On 09.05.2013, at 04:51, J. Landman Gay wrote:
> This list is pretty much deserted now.

I'm a tumbleweed!

*wheee*

On 5/9/13 5:36 AM, Björnke von Gierke wrote:

> On 09.05.2013, at 04:51, J. Landman Gay wrote:
>> This list is pretty much deserted now.
>
> I'm a tumbleweed!
>

> *wheee*

LOL. We are desert wanderers.

Your reply reminded me of a joke. It's what the snail said when he rode
on a turtle. :)

Bj?rnke von Gierke wrote:

> On 09.05.2013, at 04:51, J. Landman Gay wrote:
> > This list is pretty much deserted now.
>
> I'm a tumbleweed!
>

> *wheee*

Me 3