Building a Standalone MacOS App in 9.6.1

Building a Standalone MacOS App in 9.6.1

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
I thought I would try to build a standalone app with the Community Edition in Catalina

Many errors. Perhaps someone could shed some light.

This error is the first. "replacing existing signature xcrun: error active developer path”

I did see a comment on the LC Forum that suggested

sudo xcode-select —install, to install the command line tools.

I carried this out, still no luck.

Installed 9.6.1 RC1. Still no luck.

Is it necessary to have Xcode installed for this to work?

Thanks

Terry

Re: Building a Standalone MacOS App in 9.6.1

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
Hello Terry,

Just a clarification - the correct command is:

sudo xcode-select --install

and not

sudo xcode-select —install

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Panos
--

On Wed, 6 Jan 2021 at 16:11, Terence Heaford via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I thought I would try to build a standalone app with the Community Edition
> in Catalina
>
> Many errors. Perhaps someone could shed some light.
>
> This error is the first. "replacing existing signature xcrun: error active
> developer path”
>
> I did see a comment on the LC Forum that suggested
>
> sudo xcode-select —install, to install the command line tools.
>
> I carried this out, still no luck.
>
> Installed 9.6.1 RC1. Still no luck.
>
> Is it necessary to have Xcode installed for this to work?
>

> Thanks
>
> Terry

Re: Building a Standalone MacOS App in 9.6.1

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
macOS Catalina or Big Sur apps have to be code signed AND notarized. You
must have the command line tools installed and there is a non-trivial
number of commands you have to execute to prepare you app for code
signing, then code sign it, and then notarize it, including obtaining an
app specific password from Apple.

Livecode has a pretty decent tutorial on their web site on the whole
lengthy process.

On 1/6/2021 9:10 AM, Terence Heaford via use-livecode wrote:

> I thought I would try to build a standalone app with the Community Edition in Catalina
>
> Many errors. Perhaps someone could shed some light.
>
> This error is the first. "replacing existing signature xcrun: error active developer path”
>
> I did see a comment on the LC Forum that suggested
>
> sudo xcode-select —install, to install the command line tools.
>
> I carried this out, still no luck.
>
> Installed 9.6.1 RC1. Still no luck.
>
> Is it necessary to have Xcode installed for this to work?
>

> Thanks
>
> Terry

Re: Building a Standalone MacOS App in 9.6.1

Rick Harrison via use-livecode

> 6. jan. 2021 kl. 15:48 skrev Paul Dupuis via use-livecode <[hidden email]>:
>
> macOS Catalina or Big Sur apps have to be code signed AND notarized. You must have the command line tools installed and there is a non-trivial number of commands you have to execute to prepare you app for code signing, then code sign it, and then notarize it, including obtaining an app specific password from Apple.
>
> Livecode has a pretty decent tutorial on their web site on the whole lengthy process.

I can happily build a MacOS app without code signing or notarizing the app from Big Sur and Catilina. I guess this is needed for an iOS app, but then again you cannot build an iOS app with LiveCode Community

Best regards
Tore Nilsen

On 1/6/2021 10:17 AM, Tore Nilsen via use-livecode wrote:

>> 6. jan. 2021 kl. 15:48 skrev Paul Dupuis via use-livecode <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> macOS Catalina or Big Sur apps have to be code signed AND notarized. You must have the command line tools installed and there is a non-trivial number of commands you have to execute to prepare you app for code signing, then code sign it, and then notarize it, including obtaining an app specific password from Apple.
>>
>> Livecode has a pretty decent tutorial on their web site on the whole lengthy process.
>>
> I can happily build a MacOS app without code signing or notarizing the app from Big Sur and Catilina. I guess this is needed for an iOS app, but then again you cannot build an iOS app with LiveCode Community

Sorry, I thought you meant building a macOS app to deploy to other
people rather than for your own use on your own computer. Gatekeeper
will throw a ton of obstacles and warnings for any app not signed and
notarized that you download and try to install on Catalina or Big Sur.
Technically, there is probably some way to instruct people how to
circumvent Gatekeeper objections.

Re: Building a Standalone MacOS App in 9.6.1

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
So far I have been able to explain to my limited client base that this can be side stepped, and they are ok with that for now (AKA don’t want to pay for the necessary upgrade that will be needed).

If you double-click to open the app you will get a notice that the app isn’t notarized and you can’t launch. If you right-click (ctrl-click) on the app and select Open rather than double-clicking to open, your user will be given notice that the app isn’t notarized but will allow them to launch anyway.

I don’t see the notice when developing personal apps for use on my own machine. I’m assuming this is because the Developer key (or certificate?) is on my keychain so the app is somewhat verified.

—Andrew Bell

> Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2021 16:17:23 +0100
> From: Tore Nilsen <[hidden email]>
> To: How to use LiveCode <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: Building a Standalone MacOS App in 9.6.1
>

>> 6. jan. 2021 kl. 15:48 skrev Paul Dupuis via use-livecode <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> macOS Catalina or Big Sur apps have to be code signed AND notarized. You must have the command line tools installed and there is a non-trivial number of commands you have to execute to prepare you app for code signing, then code sign it, and then notarize it, including obtaining an app specific password from Apple.
>>
>> Livecode has a pretty decent tutorial on their web site on the whole lengthy process.
>>

> I can happily build a MacOS app without code signing or notarizing the app from Big Sur and Catilina. I guess this is needed for an iOS app, but then again you cannot build an iOS app with LiveCode Community
>
> Best regards
> Tore Nilsen

RE: Building a Standalone MacOS App in 9.6.1

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
Hi Terence,

This last year I've compiled and run several apps for Catalina. In the last month I've made four builds for MacOS Big Sur.
I have never needed to sign the app.

I have taken the applications on a USB to several clients and the only message I have received is the typical message:  "Are you sure to run this application. It has been downloaded from the Internet and may not be reliable and bla, bla.."

Sometimes, when MacOS blocks you from opening an app, it lists the app on the General tab on the Security & Privacy panel in System Preferences. Head to that panel and you'll see the blocked app listed with an Open Anyway button to create an exception and install it.

Best,

Heriberto Torrado
Chief Technology Officer (CTO)
Director de informática
Directeur informatique

NetDreams S.C.
http://www.networkdreams.net
 Address / Dirección / Adresse:
USA: 538 East 85th Street, #1C Manhattan NY, NY 10028 USA
Europe / Europa: Paseo de la Castellana 135 10ª Planta Madrid 28024 Spain / España

Re: Building a Standalone MacOS App in 9.6.1

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
Hi Panos,

That’s just a typo correction by MacOS mail. I actually applied the sudo call as you suggested.

I have not replied because as a trial I have now done a full install of Xcode 12.3 from the App Store which as usual asked me to install the additional components. I did this.

Now when I build a standalone with LC it works.

Whatever was missing seems to have been corrected by the Xcode install.

I will not be removing Xcode now but it gives me an excuse to play with SwiftUI to see how it performs.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

Terry