CEF Browser - what is wrong with my script

CEF Browser - what is wrong with my script

i get the error

stack "Untitled 1": execution error at line n/a (External handler execution error: creation failed) near "creation failed"

when executing the following script in ide

   local tBrowserId
   put revBrowserOpenCEF(the windowId of this stack, "http://www.livecode.com <http://www.livecode.com/>" ) into tBrowserId
   if tBrowserId is not an integer then
      answer "Failed to open browser"
   end if
   revBrowserSet tBrowserID, "rect" , the rect of graphic "rectangle"

Tried in LC 8.1.5 and LC 9 DP8.

I cannot see an error in the script, if i use revBrowserOpen instead of revBrowserOpenCeF then it works.

Am i missing something?

Regards
Matthias

Matthias Rebbe
+49 5741 310000
‌matthiasrebbe.eu <http://matthiasrebbe.eu/>‌

Re: CEF Browser - what is wrong with my script

Other than the invalid form of the url, its working for me here (in the
ide, windows 10, 9.0 dp7)  I end up with a blank browser because it doesn't
know how to handle the <http://www.livecode.com/> part of the url, removing
that correctly brings up the livecode site.  Sounds like something in the
external itself is breaking. Still, if you're on a different os or version
of livecode, I'd start by just using "http;//www.livecode.com" as a check
to eliminate it as a possible issue.

On 2017-07-30 00:44, Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode wrote:
> stack "Untitled 1": execution error at line n/a (External handler
> execution error: creation failed) near "creation failed"
> Am i missing something?

It might be a bug - there's been a fair amount of churn in CEF stuff in
recent versions so we might have missed something with regards
revBrowserCEF.

Is there any reason you are using revBrowser rather than the browser
widget?

If there is then please let us know asap (file a bug) so we can fix it.

The fact is that revBrowser is on the verge of being deprecated and then
quickly axed (for a number of reasons).

[ For existing projects, this isn't really a problem - its an external
so current built versions will work for some time to come - and we'll
make sure the S/B still plays nicely with it as it requires some special
fu to get to work - it would be better if we weren't having to support
two variants of the same rather complicated thing, and people didn't
start using it 'by mistake' because they hadn't discovered the widget ].

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps

Re: CEF Browser - what is wrong with my script

The script just contains  the normal url, but my email added this 2nd one with the brackets.

I am on Mac OS X.

Matthias Rebbe
+49 5741 310000
‌matthiasrebbe.eu <http://matthiasrebbe.eu/>‌

> Am 30.07.2017 um 00:57 schrieb Mike Bonner via use-livecode <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>
> Other than the invalid form of the url, its working for me here (in the
> ide, windows 10, 9.0 dp7)  I end up with a blank browser because it doesn't
> know how to handle the <http://www.livecode.com/ <http://www.livecode.com/>> part of the url, removing
> that correctly brings up the livecode site.  Sounds like something in the
> external itself is breaking. Still, if you're on a different os or version
> of livecode, I'd start by just using "http;//www.livecode.com <http://www.livecode.com/>" as a check
> to eliminate it as a possible issue.
>
> On Sat, Jul 29, 2017 at 4:44 PM, Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode <
> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> i get the error
>>
>> stack "Untitled 1": execution error at line n/a (External handler
>> execution error: creation failed) near "creation failed"
>>
>> when executing the following script in ide
>>
>>   local tBrowserId
>>   put revBrowserOpenCEF(the windowId of this stack, "
>> http://www.livecode.com <http://www.livecode.com/> <http://www.livecode.com/ <http://www.livecode.com/>>" ) into tBrowserId
>>   if tBrowserId is not an integer then
>>      answer "Failed to open browser"
>>   end if
>>   revBrowserSet tBrowserID, "rect" , the rect of graphic "rectangle"
>>
>> Tried in LC 8.1.5 and LC 9 DP8.
>>
>> I cannot see an error in the script, if i use revBrowserOpen instead of
>> revBrowserOpenCeF then it works.
>>
>> Am i missing something?
>>
>> Regards
>> Matthias
>>

>> Matthias Rebbe
>> +49 5741 310000
>> ‌matthiasrebbe.eu <http://matthiasrebbe.eu/> <http://matthiasrebbe.eu/ <http://matthiasrebbe.eu/>>‌

Re: CEF Browser - what is wrong with my script

Mark,

I cannot use the widget because of bug #20200.

If we can expect a fix for 20200 then there would be no need for a  bug report for the browser external.

Or is it more realistic that if i report it as a bug that  the browser external is fixed earlier than bug 20200?

On 2017-07-30 01:06, Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode wrote:
> Mark,
>
> I cannot use the widget because of bug #20200.

I was hoping you were going to say 'because I hadn't thought to'
(although, I must confess that was a fanciful notion, having observed
your attention to detail over the years).

> If we can expect a fix for 20200 then there would be no need for a
> bug report for the browser external.

Please do report a bug about the browser external, we haven't officially
deprecated it yet, so still need to support it.

> Or is it more realistic that if i report it as a bug that  the browser
> external is fixed earlier than bug 20200?

I suspect we will actually fix 20200 first (if only because it is
probably a couple of hours work, rather than a day) or at the same time
- the less 'new' projects which use revBrowser the better; but on the
other hand we have to keep supporting use of revBrowser until it is
replaceable.

A classic chicken-and-egg scenario.

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps

Re: CEF Browser - what is wrong with my script

The solution here is to use revBrowserOpen.

I missed the fact this is on macOS. We removed CEF on Mac in 8, as it was not possible to use CEF on Mac as a slave (for technical reasons).

The system web view on Mac is still WebKit based so they are very similar.

Sorry for the confusion!

Mark.

Sent from my iPhone

> On 29 Jul 2017, at 19:06, Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Mark,
>
> I cannot use the widget because of bug #20200.
>
> If we can expect a fix for 20200 then there would be no need for a  bug report for the browser external.
>
> Or is it more realistic that if i report it as a bug that  the browser external is fixed earlier than bug 20200?
>

> Matthias Rebbe
> +49 5741 310000
> ‌matthiasrebbe.eu <http://matthiasrebbe.eu/>‌
>
>> Am 30.07.2017 um 00:57 schrieb Mark Waddingham via use-livecode <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>>
>> On 2017-07-30 00:44, Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode wrote:
>>> stack "Untitled 1": execution error at line n/a (External handler
>>> execution error: creation failed) near "creation failed"
>>> Am i missing something?
>>
>> It might be a bug - there's been a fair amount of churn in CEF stuff in recent versions so we might have missed something with regards revBrowserCEF.
>>
>> Is there any reason you are using revBrowser rather than the browser widget?
>>
>> If there is then please let us know asap (file a bug) so we can fix it.
>>
>> The fact is that revBrowser is on the verge of being deprecated and then quickly axed (for a number of reasons).
>>
>> [ For existing projects, this isn't really a problem - its an external so current built versions will work for some time to come - and we'll make sure the S/B still plays nicely with it as it requires some special fu to get to work - it would be better if we weren't having to support two variants of the same rather complicated thing, and people didn't start using it 'by mistake' because they hadn't discovered the widget ].
>>
>> Warmest Regards,
>>
>> Mark.
>>
>> --
>> Mark Waddingham ~ [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]> ~ http://www.livecode.com/ <http://www.livecode.com/>
>> LiveCode: Everyone can create apps

Re: CEF Browser - what is wrong with my script

The dictionary in 8 and 9 shows CEF as available for Win and Mac. So i will at least file a report about that.

Matthias Rebbe
+49 5741 310000
‌matthiasrebbe.eu <http://matthiasrebbe.eu/>‌

> Am 30.07.2017 um 10:20 schrieb Mark Waddingham via use-livecode <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>
> The solution here is to use revBrowserOpen.
>
> I missed the fact this is on macOS. We removed CEF on Mac in 8, as it was not possible to use CEF on Mac as a slave (for technical reasons).
>
> The system web view on Mac is still WebKit based so they are very similar.
>
> Sorry for the confusion!
>
> Mark.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On 29 Jul 2017, at 19:06, Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>> Mark,
>>
>> I cannot use the widget because of bug #20200.
>>
>> If we can expect a fix for 20200 then there would be no need for a  bug report for the browser external.
>>
>> Or is it more realistic that if i report it as a bug that  the browser external is fixed earlier than bug 20200?
>>

>> Matthias Rebbe
>> +49 5741 310000
>> ‌matthiasrebbe.eu <http://matthiasrebbe.eu/> <http://matthiasrebbe.eu/ <http://matthiasrebbe.eu/>>‌

>>> It might be a bug - there's been a fair amount of churn in CEF stuff in recent versions so we might have missed something with regards revBrowserCEF.
>>>
>>> Is there any reason you are using revBrowser rather than the browser widget?
>>>
>>> If there is then please let us know asap (file a bug) so we can fix it.
>>>
>>> The fact is that revBrowser is on the verge of being deprecated and then quickly axed (for a number of reasons).
>>>
>>> [ For existing projects, this isn't really a problem - its an external so current built versions will work for some time to come - and we'll make sure the S/B still plays nicely with it as it requires some special fu to get to work - it would be better if we weren't having to support two variants of the same rather complicated thing, and people didn't start using it 'by mistake' because they hadn't discovered the widget ].
>>>
>>> Warmest Regards,
>>>
>>> Mark.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Mark Waddingham ~ [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]> <mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> ~ http://www.livecode.com/ <http://www.livecode.com/><http://www.livecode.com/ <http://www.livecode.com/>>
>>> LiveCode: Everyone can create apps

Matthias Rebbe
+49 5741 310000
‌matthiasrebbe.eu <http://matthiasrebbe.eu/>‌

Re: CEF Browser - what is wrong with my script

@Matthias
"revbrowserOpenCEF" is deprecated since at least one year or so.
Also note: revBrowserInstances() doesn't work after"revbrowserOpenCEF".

Also note if you use revBrowserOpen:
Then Mac is the only platform that supports HTML5/canvas2d.

Re: CEF Browser - what is wrong with my script

Yes please do - also maybe mention we should make revBrowserOpenCEF throw a more appropriate error in macOS.

General advice on Mac use open, on win/Linux use openCef. This will give you reasonably consistent environments on all three desktop platforms.

Mark.

Sent from my iPhone

> On 30 Jul 2017, at 05:10, Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> The dictionary in 8 and 9 shows CEF as available for Win and Mac. So i will at least file a report about that.
>

> Matthias Rebbe
> +49 5741 310000
> ‌matthiasrebbe.eu <http://matthiasrebbe.eu/>‌
>
>> Am 30.07.2017 um 10:20 schrieb Mark Waddingham via use-livecode <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>>
>> The solution here is to use revBrowserOpen.
>>
>> I missed the fact this is on macOS. We removed CEF on Mac in 8, as it was not possible to use CEF on Mac as a slave (for technical reasons).
>>
>> The system web view on Mac is still WebKit based so they are very similar.
>>
>> Sorry for the confusion!
>>
>> Mark.
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>> On 29 Jul 2017, at 19:06, Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Mark,
>>>
>>> I cannot use the widget because of bug #20200.
>>>
>>> If we can expect a fix for 20200 then there would be no need for a  bug report for the browser external.
>>>
>>> Or is it more realistic that if i report it as a bug that  the browser external is fixed earlier than bug 20200?
>>>

>>> Matthias Rebbe
>>> +49 5741 310000
>>> ‌matthiasrebbe.eu <http://matthiasrebbe.eu/> <http://matthiasrebbe.eu/ <http://matthiasrebbe.eu/>>‌

> Matthias Rebbe
> +49 5741 310000
> ‌matthiasrebbe.eu <http://matthiasrebbe.eu/>‌

Re: CEF Browser - what is wrong with my script

Done.
http://quality.livecode.com/show_bug.cgi?id=20206 <http://quality.livecode.com/show_bug.cgi?id=20206>

And as the error message thing is kind of a feature request i filed a separate one
http://quality.livecode.com/show_bug.cgi?id=20207 <http://quality.livecode.com/show_bug.cgi?id=20207>

Matthias Rebbe
+49 5741 310000
‌matthiasrebbe.eu <http://matthiasrebbe.eu/>‌

> Am 30.07.2017 um 11:46 schrieb Mark Waddingham via use-livecode <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>
> Yes please do - also maybe mention we should make revBrowserOpenCEF throw a more appropriate error in macOS.
>
> General advice on Mac use open, on win/Linux use openCef. This will give you reasonably consistent environments on all three desktop platforms.
>
> Mark.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On 30 Jul 2017, at 05:10, Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>> The dictionary in 8 and 9 shows CEF as available for Win and Mac. So i will at least file a report about that.
>>

>> Matthias Rebbe
>> +49 5741 310000
>> ‌matthiasrebbe.eu <http://matthiasrebbe.eu/> <http://matthiasrebbe.eu/ <http://matthiasrebbe.eu/>>‌
>>
>>> Am 30.07.2017 um 10:20 schrieb Mark Waddingham via use-livecode <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]> <mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>>:
>>>
>>> The solution here is to use revBrowserOpen.
>>>
>>> I missed the fact this is on macOS. We removed CEF on Mac in 8, as it was not possible to use CEF on Mac as a slave (for technical reasons).
>>>
>>> The system web view on Mac is still WebKit based so they are very similar.
>>>
>>> Sorry for the confusion!
>>>
>>> Mark.
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPhone

>> Matthias Rebbe
>> +49 5741 310000
>> ‌matthiasrebbe.eu <http://matthiasrebbe.eu/> <http://matthiasrebbe.eu/ <http://matthiasrebbe.eu/>>‌

Matthias Rebbe
+49 5741 310000
‌matthiasrebbe.eu <http://matthiasrebbe.eu/>‌

Re: CEF Browser - what is wrong with my script

> Am 30.07.2017 um 11:22 schrieb hh via use-livecode <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>
> @Matthias
> "revbrowserOpenCEF" is deprecated since at least one year or so.
> Also note: revBrowserInstances() doesn't work after"revbrowserOpenCEF”.

Unfortunately I trusted the dictionary.

> Also note if you use revBrowserOpen:
> Then Mac is the only platform that supports HTML5/canvas2d.

Thanks for this note.