CEF browser question

Clarence Martin via use-livecode
Folks,
As I was working on and testing the browser widget, which seemed to fail when tested on my iPhone, I thought the problem was with the browser widget, but it turned out to be that I was trying to link to a web site that wouldn’t let me load it because I was using a vpn on my iPhone. The vpn wouldn’t let them load their tracker. Nasty.

So, I thought it was a browser problem and looked into using the CEF browser. Docs say it is no longer supported in LC9 versions, but I see the entry in the inclusions. Is there a reason this inclusion is relevant, or am I missing something?

Best,
Bill

William Prothero
http://es.earthednet.org

> On Aug 3, 2018, at 6:44 AM, Tom Glod via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi folks, I don't know the reasoning behind this, but.......
>
> when using the browser widget,  and changing cards, the browser cef process
> is killed and restated each time you close and open the card with the
> browser on it..... and it doesn't remember where you were scrolling wise.
>
> I could have sworn that this was not always so ..... is there a property or
> a way to avoid this behavior? it really limits how we can use the browser
> and it seems like its unnecessary .... or at least should be optional.
>
> is there any way to avoid this behavior?

RE: CEF browser question

Clarence Martin via use-livecode
Bill,

Are getting bit by iOS App Transport Security (ATS) for non https sites? Try disabling ATS on the iOS standalone settings pane.

Ralph DiMola
IT Director
Evergreen Information Services
[hidden email]

Folks,
As I was working on and testing the browser widget, which seemed to fail when tested on my iPhone, I thought the problem was with the browser widget, but it turned out to be that I was trying to link to a web site that wouldn’t let me load it because I was using a vpn on my iPhone. The vpn wouldn’t let them load their tracker. Nasty.

So, I thought it was a browser problem and looked into using the CEF browser. Docs say it is no longer supported in LC9 versions, but I see the entry in the inclusions. Is there a reason this inclusion is relevant, or am I missing something?

Best,
Bill

William Prothero
http://es.earthednet.org

Re: CEF browser question

Clarence Martin via use-livecode

> On 4 Aug 2018, at 2:35 am, prothero--- via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> As I was working on and testing the browser widget, which seemed to fail when tested on my iPhone, I thought the problem was with the browser widget, but it turned out to be that I was trying to link to a web site that wouldn’t let me load it because I was using a vpn on my iPhone. The vpn wouldn’t let them load their tracker. Nasty.

As Ralph mentioned you are likely hitting ATS issues so try disabling that. Not sure who’s tracker you are referring to.

> So, I thought it was a browser problem and looked into using the CEF browser. Docs say it is no longer supported in LC9 versions, but I see the entry in the inclusions. Is there a reason this inclusion is relevant, or am I missing something?

CEF is no longer supported in revBrowser or the browser widget on mac but is still used for the browser widget on windows and linux. It has never been used on iOS and I don’t think ever will be.

Cheers

Monte