CGI Advice

Gregory Lypny
Hello everyone,

     I'm finally starting on my first Rev CGI project after a number
of false starts and the usual delays.

     I have some basic CGIs successfully invoking scripts in a stack,
and I have a question concerning the storage of data.  Do you think
it is better to store data, for example, student class lists, as a
fields in the stack or as a text files?  All of the lists that will
be created will be editable by students or by me and none will be
longer than, say, 50,000 lines.  I'm also interested in your thoughts
on how to avoid update anomalies, that is, where data is being
updated by more than one student at the same time.  I was thinking
about a "busy" variable of some sort.

     Regards,

         Greg

     Gregory Lypny

     Associate Professor of Finance
     John Molson School of Business
     Concordia University
     Montreal, Canada

Re: CGI Advice

Pierre Sahores
Hi Greg,

Have an eye on this if that can help :

<http://istream.homeunix.com/insead/index_en.html>

Best,

Le 22 août 05 à 22:45, Gregory Lypny a écrit :

> Hello everyone,
>
>     I'm finally starting on my first Rev CGI project after a number
> of false starts and the usual delays.
>
>     I have some basic CGIs successfully invoking scripts in a
> stack, and I have a question concerning the storage of data.  Do
> you think it is better to store data, for example, student class
> lists, as a fields in the stack or as a text files?  All of the
> lists that will be created will be editable by students or by me
> and none will be longer than, say, 50,000 lines.  I'm also
> interested in your thoughts on how to avoid update anomalies, that
> is, where data is being updated by more than one student at the
> same time.  I was thinking about a "busy" variable of some sort.
>
>     Regards,
>
>         Greg
>

>     Gregory Lypny
>
>     Associate Professor of Finance