Calling a pdf display through LiveCode, on a PC.

Calling a pdf display through LiveCode, on a PC.

Francis Nugent Dixon
Hi from Beautiful Brittany,

I have a stack which displays a pdf file, by calling "Skim"
through AppleScript. Skim has all the required AppleScript
interfaces - a really great app. !!

Unfortunately, it is limited to Mac OS X.

I am looking for a PC app. which I can call with LiveCode.
Adobe Reader doesn't do what I want. Of course, it has to
be free !

Can anybody point me in the rignt direction ?

Best Regards

-Francis

Re: Calling a pdf display through LiveCode, on a PC.

Klaus on-rev
Hi Francis,

Am 06.10.2012 um 22:00 schrieb Francis Nugent Dixon <[hidden email]>:

> Hi from Beautiful Brittany,
>
> I have a stack which displays a pdf file, by calling "Skim"
> through AppleScript. Skim has all the required AppleScript
> interfaces - a really great app. !!
> Unfortunately, it is limited to Mac OS X.
> I am looking for a PC app. which I can call with LiveCode.
> Adobe Reader doesn't do what I want. Of course, it has to
> be free !
>
> Can anybody point me in the rignt direction ?

Try "Foxit Reader":
<http://www.foxitsoftware.com/downloads/>

> Best Regards
>
> -Francis

Best

Klaus

--
Klaus Major
http://www.major-k.de

Am 06.10.2012 um 22:04 schrieb Klaus on-rev <[hidden email]>:

> Hi Francis,
>
> Am 06.10.2012 um 22:00 schrieb Francis Nugent Dixon <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Hi from Beautiful Brittany,
>>
>> I have a stack which displays a pdf file, by calling "Skim"
>> through AppleScript. Skim has all the required AppleScript
>> interfaces - a really great app. !!
>> Unfortunately, it is limited to Mac OS X.
>> I am looking for a PC app. which I can call with LiveCode.
>> Adobe Reader doesn't do what I want. Of course, it has to
>> be free !
>>
>> Can anybody point me in the rignt direction ?
>
> Try "Foxit Reader":
> <http://www.foxitsoftware.com/downloads/>

sorry, I overlooked that you are looking for a scriptable application.
Don't think that Foxit can be scripted.

Best

Klaus

--
Klaus Major
http://www.major-k.de

Re: Calling a pdf display through LiveCode, on a PC.

Richmond Mathewson-2
On 10/06/2012 11:04 PM, Klaus on-rev wrote:

> Hi Francis,
>
> Am 06.10.2012 um 22:00 schrieb Francis Nugent Dixon <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Hi from Beautiful Brittany,
>>
>> I have a stack which displays a pdf file, by calling "Skim"
>> through AppleScript. Skim has all the required AppleScript
>> interfaces - a really great app. !!
>> Unfortunately, it is limited to Mac OS X.
>> I am looking for a PC app. which I can call with LiveCode.
>> Adobe Reader doesn't do what I want. Of course, it has to
>> be free !
>>
>> Can anybody point me in the rignt direction ?
> Try "Foxit Reader":
> <http://www.foxitsoftware.com/downloads/>

And Foxit Reader has versions for Windows, Macintosh and Linux, so could
be a truly cross-platform
answer to PDF documents from Livecode.

>> Best Regards
>>
>> -Francis
> Best
>
> Klaus
>
> --
> Klaus Major
> http://www.major-k.de

Re: Calling a pdf display through LiveCode, on a PC.

Richmond Mathewson-2

> sorry, I overlooked that you are looking for a scriptable application.
> Don't think that Foxit can be scripted.

open process

On 10/07/2012 09:47 AM, Richmond wrote:

>> sorry, I overlooked that you are looking for a scriptable application.
>> Don't think that Foxit can be scripted.
>>

> open process

http://www.foxitsoftware.com/products/sdk/activex/

scriptable, integratable stuff . . .

Re: Calling a pdf display through LiveCode, on a PC.

Klaus on-rev
Hi Richmond,

Am 07.10.2012 um 08:50 schrieb Richmond <[hidden email]>:

> On 10/07/2012 09:47 AM, Richmond wrote:
>>
>>> sorry, I overlooked that you are looking for a scriptable application.
>>> Don't think that Foxit can be scripted.
>> open process
> http://www.foxitsoftware.com/products/sdk/activex/
> scriptable, integratable stuff . . .

yep, but not free as it seems!

Best

Klaus

--
Klaus Major
http://www.major-k.de

On 10/07/2012 12:38 PM, Klaus on-rev wrote:

> Hi Richmond,

>>> open process
>> http://www.foxitsoftware.com/products/sdk/activex/
>> scriptable, integratable stuff . . .
> yep, but not free as it seems!

Yes, I also found out about the 30-day trial :(

Possibly there is an open-source 'something' for PDF around and about
that can be
leveraged with Livecode:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PDF_software

> Best
>
> Klaus
>
> --
> Klaus Major
> http://www.major-k.de

Re: Calling a pdf display through LiveCode, on a PC.

Francis Nugent Dixon
Hi from "you know where",

Thanks to all for the input. Unfortunately, I still
don't have a solution.

My PDF is a Family Tree exported from EazyDraw, but
I can also export to jpg, png, etc.

Maybe I will have to solve the problem this way.

-Francis

Re: Calling a pdf display through LiveCode, on a PC.

slylabs13
Just curious, on a Mac running OS X can't you simply tell the Finder to open the file and have whatever app is the default app open it? Or do you need the annotation features that Skim gives you which something like Preview does not?

I believe LC has a command called launch, that will open a document with the application you specify. So you probably do not need Applescript for this at all.

Bob

On Oct 6, 2012, at 1:00 PM, Francis Nugent Dixon wrote:

> Hi from Beautiful Brittany,
>
> I have a stack which displays a pdf file, by calling "Skim"
> through AppleScript. Skim has all the required AppleScript
> interfaces - a really great app. !!
>
> Unfortunately, it is limited to Mac OS X.
>
> I am looking for a PC app. which I can call with LiveCode.
> Adobe Reader doesn't do what I want. Of course, it has to
> be free !
>
> Can anybody point me in the rignt direction ?
>
> Best Regards
>
> -Francis

Re: Calling a pdf display through LiveCode, on a PC.

Peter Alcibiades
Have you tried evince?  I don't know about the command line options for calling it in Windows.  Excellent reader.

Peter

Francis Nugent Dixon wrote

Bob Sneidar wrote :

> I believe LC has a command called launch …..

Bob, I have just fallen foul of the old saying :

"Can't see the wood for the trees", or  even :

"Why use a simple solution when a complicated
one will also do the job !".

I got so used to building Applescript calls to Skim
(Especially to pass "Scale", Page No., etc.), that I
never even considered a simple route ….    :>(

Thanks for bringing me back to earth with a bump !

Sigh !! - Progress is just a series of monumental
          f**k-ups !

Best Regards

-Francis

Re: Calling a pdf display through LiveCode, on a PC.

slylabs13
Hey, if the retro thrusters fired on re-entry, then everyone's happy! :-)

Bob

On Oct 9, 2012, at 8:57 AM, Francis Nugent Dixon wrote:

> I got so used to building Applescript calls to Skim
> (Especially to pass "Scale", Page No., etc.), that I
> never even considered a simple route ….    :>(
>
> Thanks for bringing me back to earth with a bump !

Re: Calling a pdf display through LiveCode, on a PC.

Dr. Hawkins
On Sun, Oct 7, 2012 at 2:45 AM, Richmond <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Possibly there is an open-source 'something' for PDF around and about that
> can be
> leveraged with Livecode:

ghostscript and ps2pdf are a possibility.

Unfortunately, on mac, you seem to need to install macports first,
which makes this a non-starter for a commercial application

--
Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
(702) 508-8462