Can We Position the Label/Name of a Button

Can We Position the Label/Name of a Button

Pi Digital via use-livecode
See:

http://wiki.hindu.org/screenshots/button-label-center.png

Syntax
        set the iconGravity of button to position
Summary
        Specifies wether the icon of a button is placed independently of the
label.

[#type in the entry: wether}

True, setting iconGravity does place the loc of the icon within the boundaries+ margins of the button.

But also implied it discretionary placement of the label/name (if showName  is true) . But I can't find any way but "centered".. What am I missing? This is such a basic feature I would thought it was introduced in LC 2.0

Re: Can We Position the Label/Name of a Button

Pi Digital via use-livecode
Hi Swami

> Am 04.12.2018 um 21:01 schrieb Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami via use-livecode <[hidden email]>:
>
> See: http://wiki.hindu.org/screenshots/button-label-center.png
> Syntax
> set the iconGravity of button to position
> Summary
> Specifies wether the icon of a button is placed independently of the
> label.
> [#type in the entry: wether}
> True, setting iconGravity does place the loc of the icon within the boundaries+ margins of the button.
>
> But also implied it discretionary placement of the label/name (if showName  is true) . But I can't find any way but "centered".. What am I missing? This is such a basic feature I would thought it was introduced in LC 2.0

did you take a look at the "Text" tab in the inspector for your button and set the textalign to something else than "center" (default)? :-)

Best

Klaus

--
Klaus Major
http://www.major-k.de

Re: Can We Position the Label/Name of a Button

Pi Digital via use-livecode
have you tried setting the textAlign?

On Tue, Dec 4, 2018 at 3:02 PM Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> See:
>
> http://wiki.hindu.org/screenshots/button-label-center.png
>
> Syntax
>         set the iconGravity of button to position
> Summary
>         Specifies wether the icon of a button is placed independently of
> the
> label.
>
> [#type in the entry: wether}
>
> True, setting iconGravity does place the loc of the icon within the
> boundaries+ margins of the button.
>
> But also implied it discretionary placement of the label/name (if
> showName  is true) . But I can't find any way but "centered".. What am I
> missing? This is such a basic feature I would thought it was introduced in
> LC 2.0

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Re: Can We Position the Label/Name of a Button

Pi Digital via use-livecode
Well, you can fiddle around with topMargin and bottomMargin, but that
also affects
icon positions.

Richmond.

On 4.12.18 г. 22:01 ч., Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami via use-livecode wrote:

> See:
>
> http://wiki.hindu.org/screenshots/button-label-center.png
>
> Syntax
> set the iconGravity of button to position
> Summary
> Specifies wether the icon of a button is placed independently of the
> label.
>
> [#type in the entry: wether}
>
> True, setting iconGravity does place the loc of the icon within the boundaries+ margins of the button.
>
> But also implied it discretionary placement of the label/name (if showName  is true) . But I can't find any way but "centered".. What am I missing? This is such a basic feature I would thought it was introduced in LC 2.0

Re: Can We Position the Label/Name of a Button

Pi Digital via use-livecode
Well, that'll push your button name/label right or left, but ti won't
allow you to place it in all the places where you can position an icon.

Richmond.

On 4.12.18 г. 22:34 ч., Klaus major-k via use-livecode wrote:

> Hi Swami
>
>> Am 04.12.2018 um 21:01 schrieb Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami via use-livecode <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> See: http://wiki.hindu.org/screenshots/button-label-center.png
>> Syntax
>> set the iconGravity of button to position
>> Summary
>> Specifies wether the icon of a button is placed independently of the
>> label.
>> [#type in the entry: wether}
>> True, setting iconGravity does place the loc of the icon within the boundaries+ margins of the button.
>>
>> But also implied it discretionary placement of the label/name (if showName  is true) . But I can't find any way but "centered".. What am I missing? This is such a basic feature I would thought it was introduced in LC 2.0
> did you take a look at the "Text" tab in the inspector for your button and set the textalign to something else than "center" (default)? :-)
>

> Best
>
> Klaus
>
> --
> Klaus Major
> http://www.major-k.de

Position the Label/Name of a Button

Pi Digital via use-livecode
"This is such a basic feature I would thought it was introduced in LC 2."

Well, um, yes . . .

I suspect that quite a lot of us have things that we think of as basic
features,
and I suspect they are all different.

I'm not sure how essential being able to put a button's label in the
bottom right-hand
corner is, especially as that can easily be faked by using an image as a
button.

Richmond.

On 4.12.18 г. 22:01 ч., Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami via use-livecode wrote:

> See:
>
> http://wiki.hindu.org/screenshots/button-label-center.png
>
> Syntax
> set the iconGravity of button to position
> Summary
> Specifies wether the icon of a button is placed independently of the
> label.
>
> [#type in the entry: wether}
>
> True, setting iconGravity does place the loc of the icon within the boundaries+ margins of the button.
>
> But also implied it discretionary placement of the label/name (if showName  is true) . But I can't find any way but "centered".. What am I missing? This is such a basic feature I would thought it was introduced in LC 2.0

Re: Position the Label/Name of a Button

Pi Digital via use-livecode

> On Dec 4, 2018, at 13:36, Richmond via use-livecode <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>  especially as that can easily be faked by using an image as a button.

But if you do need text for any reason, you can fudge it by putting returns before the text label to move it down, or after to move it up, and of course as already pointed out, use textAlign for Left, Centre or right.

Tested on a Mac (IDE & SA) only, no idea if this works on Win or Linux, not expected to work on Mobile and I doubt that it works with HTML5.

Paul

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2apq5km628oa43q/Buttons.png?dl=0 <https://www.dropbox.com/s/2apq5km628oa43q/Buttons.png?dl=0>

Re: Position the Label/Name of a Button

Pi Digital via use-livecode
Paul wrote: "you can fudge it by putting returns before the text label to move it down"

Paul wins!   Sheesh, why didn't I think of that. Change backgroundcolor of the button, iconGravity to top, adjust bottom margin accordingly, text-align center

You get

http://wiki.hindu.org/screenshots/2018-12-05_04-12-23.png

Wow, I was using three objects before this,

rectangle graphic|image|field with text

and grouping them, are getting the parent of the target....

BR