Can a widget be in the background?

Wprothero
I’m about the replace a menubar with the menubar widget in DP16. What I’m wondering is if this can be set up so it’s on every card, like objects can.

Best,
Bill

William Prothero, Ph.D.
University of California, Santa Barbara, Emeritus

Http://es.earthednet.org

Re: Can a widget be in the background?

Wprothero
Please excuse me for the trivial questions. I found that a group can be a shared background object.
But, I’m wondering if for a stack with quite a few cards, a new group with a shared background setting will only appear on new cards.

If I create a new stack with several cards, load several UI elements on the first card, group them, then set them to “Background Behavior”, they do not show up on all of the existing cards.

So, is there a way to make that background group then show up on all cards? Or, is it simply a matter of copying that group to each card that I want it on and setting “Shared behavior” in the inspector?

Best,
Bill

> On Mar 23, 2016, at 4:37 PM, William Prothero <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I’m about the replace a menubar with the menubar widget in DP16. What I’m wondering is if this can be set up so it’s on every card, like objects can.
>
> Best,
> Bill
>

> William Prothero, Ph.D.
> University of California, Santa Barbara, Emeritus

Http://es.earthednet.org

Re: Can a widget be in the background?

ScottR
Use "Place Group" under the Object menu to place the group on any card
that doesn't already have it.  If you copy and paste, you'll wind up with
multiple copies of the group, instead of one group shared across multiple
cards.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, UX/UI Design

On 3/23/16, 8:06 PM, "use-livecode on behalf of William Prothero"
<[hidden email] on behalf of
[hidden email]> wrote:

>Please excuse me for the trivial questions. I found that a group can be a
>shared background object.
>But, I¹m wondering if for a stack with quite a few cards, a new group
>with a shared background setting will only appear on new cards.
>
>If I create a new stack with several cards, load several UI elements on
>the first card, group them, then set them to ³Background Behavior², they
>do not show up on all of the existing cards.
>
>So, is there a way to make that background group then show up on all
>cards? Or, is it simply a matter of copying that group to each card that
>I want it on and setting ³Shared behavior² in the inspector?
>
>Best,
>Bill
>
>> On Mar 23, 2016, at 4:37 PM, William Prothero <[hidden email]>
>>wrote:
>>
>> I¹m about the replace a menubar with the menubar widget in DP16. What
>>I¹m wondering is if this can be set up so it¹s on every card, like
>>objects can.
>>
>> Best,
>> Bill
>>

>> William Prothero, Ph.D.
>> University of California, Santa Barbara, Emeritus

Re: Can a widget be in the background?

Wprothero
Scott,
Thanks! You are the man!
Best,
Bill

William Prothero
http://es.earthednet.org

> On Mar 23, 2016, at 8:30 PM, Scott Rossi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Use "Place Group" under the Object menu to place the group on any card
> that doesn't already have it.  If you copy and paste, you'll wind up with
> multiple copies of the group, instead of one group shared across multiple
> cards.
>
> Regards,
>
> Scott Rossi
> Creative Director
> Tactile Media, UX/UI Design
>

> On 3/23/16, 8:06 PM, "use-livecode on behalf of William Prothero"
> <[hidden email] on behalf of
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Please excuse me for the trivial questions. I found that a group can be a
>> shared background object.
>> But, I¹m wondering if for a stack with quite a few cards, a new group
>> with a shared background setting will only appear on new cards.
>>
>> If I create a new stack with several cards, load several UI elements on
>> the first card, group them, then set them to ³Background Behavior², they
>> do not show up on all of the existing cards.
>>
>> So, is there a way to make that background group then show up on all
>> cards? Or, is it simply a matter of copying that group to each card that
>> I want it on and setting ³Shared behavior² in the inspector?
>>
>> Best,
>> Bill
>>
>>> On Mar 23, 2016, at 4:37 PM, William Prothero <[hidden email]>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I¹m about the replace a menubar with the menubar widget in DP16. What
>>> I¹m wondering is if this can be set up so it¹s on every card, like
>>> objects can.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Bill
>>>

>>> William Prothero, Ph.D.
>>> University of California, Santa Barbara, Emeritus

Http://es.earthednet.org

Re: Can a widget be in the background?

Tore Nilsen
A group with the background behaviour will appear on each new card you create after you have made the group. If you know you are going to need a background on many cards, then make the background group on the first card, before you add the rest of the cards.

Tore

RH

Re: Can a widget be in the background?

RH
Well, it is true, but not too transparent to new users, and even some more
experienced users need to really study first.

I was thinking that in edit mode and without having to check the Property
Inspector there could be a visual hint about a groups behaviour (background
icon or color). A tool tip in edit mode could also supply information with
how many cards this background group is shared with.

The question is how to make this sharing more intuitive and obvious to new
users for groups of one or more controls.

On 24 March 2016 at 08:39, Tore Nilsen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> A group with the background behaviour will appear on each new card you
> create after you have made the group. If you know you are going to need a
> background on many cards, then make the background group on the first card,
> before you add the rest of the cards.
>
> Tore
> > 24. mar. 2016 kl. 06.02 skrev Earthednet-wp <[hidden email]>:
> >
> > Scott,
> > Thanks! You are the man!
> > Best,
> > Bill
> >
> > William Prothero
> > http://es.earthednet.org
> >
> >> On Mar 23, 2016, at 8:30 PM, Scott Rossi <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> Use "Place Group" under the Object menu to place the group on any card
> >> that doesn't already have it.  If you copy and paste, you'll wind up
> with
> >> multiple copies of the group, instead of one group shared across
> multiple
> >> cards.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> Scott Rossi
> >> Creative Director
> >> Tactile Media, UX/UI Design
> >>

> >> On 3/23/16, 8:06 PM, "use-livecode on behalf of William Prothero"
> >> <[hidden email] on behalf of

> be a

> they

> that

> [hidden email]>

Re: Can a widget be in the background?

Wprothero
I guess I'd have to call myself a moderately experienced user, but still learning. The way I found out about how to set a group as a background was through the nice dp16 tutorial. But then, the next time I tried to make a background control, I had forgotten. I went back through the tutorial and saw how to do it. But since I was working with an existing stack, I didn't know how to get it placed on other cards. Thanks to the generous comment of Scott, I got it.

There will always be a need for a list like this. There will also be a need for some overview materials that are a bit longer than dictionary entries, that briefly explain how to do specific operations. The lessons on the livecode site are very good at that, but sometimes not advanced enough.

I really appreciate the help and patience of experts and non-experts on this list.
Thanks, all,
Bill

William Prothero
http://es.earthednet.org