Can we move the use-list to a Google Chat

Can we move the use-list to a Google Chat

william jamieson
I was raised with a computer, with facebook for my friends and google as my
study guide. I don't really understand the use-list's format and have only
attempted to read it maybe 5 times in the 2 years I have been on it.

Forums are great but still remind me of my childhood and are generally used
for specific issues. I would really like a Slack thread that can be
indexed, but to ask people to move away from email might be a little too
technological for most.

As a person who wants to be involved with the community, and seeing that
the answers to a lot of problems and issues are contained in this massive,
unindexed, scattered, blob, of words that spans thousands of emails in my
inbox, I would like to make a plea to use any alternative that works.

I understand that the use-list is for the OG's but let me ask you, at what
cost is it acceptable? Even for the OG's, let me ask you, how many
solutions pointers to the problems you have had do you think are contained
within the history of the use-list? Can you pull them up quickly in an
organized fashion?

William D Jamieson
Amplifiid Education
Co-Founder
(408) 692-5356
www.amplifiideducation.com
[hidden email]
<http://facebook.com/williamdjamieson>
<http://www.linkedin.com/in/williamdjamieson>

Re: Can we move the use-list to a Google Chat

Dr. Hawkins
I should certainly hope not.

listserves and boards are fundamentally different in how people interact.
Moving lists to web generally causes *massive* loss of membership and
participation.

In a professional organization I belong to, it resulted in an independent
mailing list, and would likely have caused turnover of the board at the
next election, except the responsible leadership backed down in the face of
the revolt and restored our listserv.
--
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
(702) 508-8462

Re: Can we move the use-list to a Google Chat

Matthias Rebbe | M-R-D
Google Chat would be a NoGo for me.

My mail app is opened all the day anyway, so the mailing list is the best solution for me.
I know that the forum is also a good source of help and knowledge and i am trying to visit it as often as possible.
Just today i installed an RSS reader to be up to date with new forum posts.
But the mailing list will be my number one source.
Why, because i can read and respond very quick and easily.

Google Chat or any other web based system would stop me to participate in discussions or at least it would stop me to participate regularly in discussions.

But that´s just my opinion.

Matthias

> Am 30.09.2016 um 21:53 schrieb William Jamieson <[hidden email]>:
>
> I was raised with a computer, with facebook for my friends and google as my
> study guide. I don't really understand the use-list's format and have only
> attempted to read it maybe 5 times in the 2 years I have been on it.
>
> Forums are great but still remind me of my childhood and are generally used
> for specific issues. I would really like a Slack thread that can be
> indexed, but to ask people to move away from email might be a little too
> technological for most.
>
> As a person who wants to be involved with the community, and seeing that
> the answers to a lot of problems and issues are contained in this massive,
> unindexed, scattered, blob, of words that spans thousands of emails in my
> inbox, I would like to make a plea to use any alternative that works.
>
> I understand that the use-list is for the OG's but let me ask you, at what
> cost is it acceptable? Even for the OG's, let me ask you, how many
> solutions pointers to the problems you have had do you think are contained
> within the history of the use-list? Can you pull them up quickly in an
> organized fashion?
>

> William D Jamieson
> Amplifiid Education
> Co-Founder
> (408) 692-5356
> www.amplifiideducation.com
> [hidden email]
> <http://facebook.com/williamdjamieson>
> <http://www.linkedin.com/in/williamdjamieson>

Re: Can we move the use-list to a Google Chat

Skip Kimpel
Same here..... -1 for Google Chat.  I much prefer a listserv for the same
reason Matthias referred to as it is quick and easy to respond to using a
tool (email) that is in my face 24/7.

SKIP

On Fri, Sep 30, 2016 at 4:08 PM, Matthias Rebbe <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Google Chat would be a NoGo for me.
>
> My mail app is opened all the day anyway, so the mailing list is the best
> solution for me.
> I know that the forum is also a good source of help and knowledge and i am
> trying to visit it as often as possible.
> Just today i installed an RSS reader to be up to date with new forum posts.
> But the mailing list will be my number one source.
> Why, because i can read and respond very quick and easily.
>
> Google Chat or any other web based system would stop me to participate in
> discussions or at least it would stop me to participate regularly in
> discussions.
>
> But that´s just my opinion.
>
> Matthias
>
> > Am 30.09.2016 um 21:53 schrieb William Jamieson <
> [hidden email]>:
> >
> > I was raised with a computer, with facebook for my friends and google as
> my
> > study guide. I don't really understand the use-list's format and have
> only
> > attempted to read it maybe 5 times in the 2 years I have been on it.
> >
> > Forums are great but still remind me of my childhood and are generally
> used
> > for specific issues. I would really like a Slack thread that can be
> > indexed, but to ask people to move away from email might be a little too
> > technological for most.
> >
> > As a person who wants to be involved with the community, and seeing that
> > the answers to a lot of problems and issues are contained in this
> massive,
> > unindexed, scattered, blob, of words that spans thousands of emails in my
> > inbox, I would like to make a plea to use any alternative that works.
> >
> > I understand that the use-list is for the OG's but let me ask you, at
> what
> > cost is it acceptable? Even for the OG's, let me ask you, how many
> > solutions pointers to the problems you have had do you think are
> contained
> > within the history of the use-list? Can you pull them up quickly in an
> > organized fashion?
> >

> > William D Jamieson
> > Amplifiid Education
> > Co-Founder
> > (408) 692-5356
> > www.amplifiideducation.com
> > [hidden email]
> > <http://facebook.com/williamdjamieson>
> > <http://www.linkedin.com/in/williamdjamieson>

Re: Can we move the use-list to a Google Chat

Mike Kerner
I get the inability to search the archive for n00bs.  That's a problem.
For those of us who receive these messages in one of our google accounts,
it isn't a problem.  In my case I have a hair under 13,000 threads that I
have received since my arrival in the LC community. I wonder if Edinburgh
has something resembling a searchable index for the n00bs, though.

On Fri, Sep 30, 2016 at 4:22 PM, Skip Kimpel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Same here..... -1 for Google Chat.  I much prefer a listserv for the same
> reason Matthias referred to as it is quick and easy to respond to using a
> tool (email) that is in my face 24/7.
>
> SKIP
>
> On Fri, Sep 30, 2016 at 4:08 PM, Matthias Rebbe <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Google Chat would be a NoGo for me.
> >
> > My mail app is opened all the day anyway, so the mailing list is the best
> > solution for me.
> > I know that the forum is also a good source of help and knowledge and i
> am
> > trying to visit it as often as possible.
> > Just today i installed an RSS reader to be up to date with new forum
> posts.
> > But the mailing list will be my number one source.
> > Why, because i can read and respond very quick and easily.
> >
> > Google Chat or any other web based system would stop me to participate in
> > discussions or at least it would stop me to participate regularly in
> > discussions.
> >
> > But that´s just my opinion.
> >
> > Matthias
> >
> > > Am 30.09.2016 um 21:53 schrieb William Jamieson <
> > [hidden email]>:
> > >
> > > I was raised with a computer, with facebook for my friends and google
> as
> > my
> > > study guide. I don't really understand the use-list's format and have
> > only
> > > attempted to read it maybe 5 times in the 2 years I have been on it.
> > >
> > > Forums are great but still remind me of my childhood and are generally
> > used
> > > for specific issues. I would really like a Slack thread that can be
> > > indexed, but to ask people to move away from email might be a little
> too
> > > technological for most.
> > >
> > > As a person who wants to be involved with the community, and seeing
> that
> > > the answers to a lot of problems and issues are contained in this
> > massive,
> > > unindexed, scattered, blob, of words that spans thousands of emails in
> my
> > > inbox, I would like to make a plea to use any alternative that works.
> > >
> > > I understand that the use-list is for the OG's but let me ask you, at
> > what
> > > cost is it acceptable? Even for the OG's, let me ask you, how many
> > > solutions pointers to the problems you have had do you think are
> > contained
> > > within the history of the use-list? Can you pull them up quickly in an
> > > organized fashion?
> > >

> > > William D Jamieson
> > > Amplifiid Education
> > > Co-Founder
> > > (408) 692-5356
> > > www.amplifiideducation.com
> > > [hidden email]
> > > <http://facebook.com/williamdjamieson>
> > > <http://www.linkedin.com/in/williamdjamieson>

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

On Fri, Sep 30, 2016 at 1:22 PM, Skip Kimpel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Same here..... -1 for Google Chat.  I much prefer a listserv for the same
> reason Matthias referred to as it is quick and easy to respond to using a
> tool (email) that is in my face 24/7.

--
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
(702) 508-8462

Re: Can we move the use-list to a Google Chat

Dr. Hawkins
On Fri, Sep 30, 2016 at 1:22 PM, Skip Kimpel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Same here..... -1 for Google Chat.  I much prefer a listserv for the same
> reason Matthias referred to as it is quick and easy to respond to using a
> tool (email) that is in my face 24/7.

That.  Listserves are in the mail that is part of our normal workflow,
while a board is an independent destination.

I'm not even sure how many list serves come to my mail, but it is ar more
than I would be willing to have separate applications./windows/tabs for . .
.

If something comes through with a question I can answer, I can answer it
then, not later when I go to a site (or whatever).

And with all of us doing this, we frequently have critical answers in
minutes, not days  . . .

--
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
(702) 508-8462

Re: Can we move the use-list to a Google Chat

pmbrig

> On Sep 30, 2016, at 5:24 PM, Mike Kerner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I get the inability to search the archive for n00bs.  That's a problem.
> For those of us who receive these messages in one of our google accounts,
> it isn't a problem.  In my case I have a hair under 13,000 threads that I
> have received since my arrival in the LC community. I wonder if Edinburgh
> has something resembling a searchable index for the n00bs, though.

Nabble has a searchable index of the messages posted to the listserv:

http://runtime-revolution.278305.n4.nabble.com/

— Peter

Peter M. Brigham

Re: Can we move the use-list to a Google Chat

FWIW I don't see this as an XOR operation, but an AND.

Some like the categorized, searchable forums.

Others like the continuum flow of this list, searchable in Nabble:
http://runtime-revolution.278305.n4.nabble.com/

Others like FB:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/livecodeusers/

...or G+:
https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/109731058120269230218

...or LinkedIn, where our group now has over 2500 members:
https://www.linkedin.com/groups/50811

(With LinkedIn being the premier professional space in social media,
home to many budding software entrepreneurs, please consider joining
that group and adding a post there now and then to raise its visibility
there.)

And some love IRC.  I know a good many people who spend lots of time in
IRC, and a lot of major FOSS projects who use it for meetings - and of
course we have a LiveCode channel there, on freenode:
https://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=#livecode

There were a couple Slack groups too, but I'm not sure if they're active
- anyone have a URL for those?

Communities grow organically around whatever communications channels the
members enjoy.

All are indexable content, so all venues benefit all of us using LiveCode.

Let a thousand flowers bloom....

Re: Can we move the use-list to a Google Chat

Jerry Daniels-3
Ask a group on listserv if they want listserv, and what do you get? Listserv.

Best, Jerry

On Sep 30, 2016, 5:13 PM -0500, Richard Gaskin <[hidden email]>, wrote:

> FWIW I don't see this as an XOR operation, but an AND.
>
> Some like the categorized, searchable forums.
>
> Others like the continuum flow of this list, searchable in Nabble:
> http://runtime-revolution.278305.n4.nabble.com/
>
> Others like FB:
> https://www.facebook.com/groups/livecodeusers/
>
> ...or G+:
> https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/109731058120269230218
>
> ...or LinkedIn, where our group now has over 2500 members:
> https://www.linkedin.com/groups/50811
>
> (With LinkedIn being the premier professional space in social media,
> home to many budding software entrepreneurs, please consider joining
> that group and adding a post there now and then to raise its visibility
> there.)
>
> And some love IRC. I know a good many people who spend lots of time in
> IRC, and a lot of major FOSS projects who use it for meetings - and of
> course we have a LiveCode channel there, on freenode:
> https://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=#livecode
>
> There were a couple Slack groups too, but I'm not sure if they're active
> - anyone have a URL for those?
>
> Communities grow organically around whatever communications channels the
> members enjoy.
>
> All are indexable content, so all venues benefit all of us using LiveCode.
>
> Let a thousand flowers bloom....
>
> --
> Richard Gaskin
> Fourth World Systems

Re: Can we move the use-list to a Google Chat

Stephen Barncard-4
Us old timers have been having this discussion for years.    Some of us
have been on the same kind of listserv since Apple ][ days. It seems to
work.
This list's success is directly related to it's serial nature.
We're all in the same room, and we get exposed to a lot of things that
would be missed otherwise.

William, I suggest you get a good mailer that works for you and try
handling this list that way.
Gmail is always good with the best spam filters in the business.

Stephen Barncard - Sebastopol Ca. USA -
mixstream.org

On Fri, Sep 30, 2016 at 3:38 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ask a group on listserv if they want listserv, and what do you get?
> Listserv.
>
> Best, Jerry
>
> On Sep 30, 2016, 5:13 PM -0500, Richard Gaskin <[hidden email]>,
> wrote:
> > FWIW I don't see this as an XOR operation, but an AND.
> >
> > Some like the categorized, searchable forums.
> >
> > Others like the continuum flow of this list, searchable in Nabble:
> > http://runtime-revolution.278305.n4.nabble.com/
> >
> > Others like FB:
> > https://www.facebook.com/groups/livecodeusers/
> >
> > ...or G+:
> > https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/109731058120269230218
> >
> > ...or LinkedIn, where our group now has over 2500 members:
> > https://www.linkedin.com/groups/50811
> >
> > (With LinkedIn being the premier professional space in social media,
> > home to many budding software entrepreneurs, please consider joining
> > that group and adding a post there now and then to raise its visibility
> > there.)
> >
> > And some love IRC. I know a good many people who spend lots of time in
> > IRC, and a lot of major FOSS projects who use it for meetings - and of
> > course we have a LiveCode channel there, on freenode:
> > https://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=#livecode
> >
> > There were a couple Slack groups too, but I'm not sure if they're active
> > - anyone have a URL for those?
> >
> > Communities grow organically around whatever communications channels the
> > members enjoy.
> >
> > All are indexable content, so all venues benefit all of us using
> LiveCode.
> >
> > Let a thousand flowers bloom....
> >
> > --
> > Richard Gaskin
> > Fourth World Systems
> > Software Design and Development for the Desktop, Mobile, and the Web

Re: Can we move the use-list to a Google Chat

Wprothero

Folks:
I’m on my email several times a day. The first category I check are the postings from this listserve. It’s within my flow. When I go to the forum, I see a bunch of topics. I only go to any that I’m interested in and it’s pretty rare that I go there except for a topic I’m following.

The listserve posts I see are often surprising, offering information I didn’t know I needed. That’s what I like about it.

I would miss this listserve.
Best,
Bill

William Prothero, Ph.D.
University of California, Santa Barbara, Emeritus

Http://es.earthednet.org

Re: Can we move the use-list to a Google Chat

Mike Kerner
With this gmail account, I also have a filter and a "label" set up, so all
the livecode stuff ends up in one place, separated from the rest of the
traffic.

On Fri, Sep 30, 2016 at 6:45 PM, William Prothero <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]

>>> But the mailing list will be my number one source.
>>> Why, because i can read and respond very quick and easily.
>>>
>>> Google Chat or any other web based system would stop me to participate in
>>> discussions or at least it would stop me to participate regularly in
>>> discussions.
>>>
>>> But that´s just my opinion.
>>>
>>> Matthias

>> as
>>> my
>>> only

>>> used
>> too

>> that
>>> massive,
>> my

>>> what
>>> contained

>   and did a little diving.
> And God said, "This is good."

Re: Can we move the use-list to a Google Chat

xtalkprogrammer
No.

Kind regards,

Mark Schonewille
http://economy-x-talk.com
https://www.facebook.com/marksch

Buy the most extensive book on the
LiveCode language:
http://livecodebeginner.economy-x-talk.com

Op 30-Sep-16 om 21:53 schreef William Jamieson:

> I was raised with a computer, with facebook for my friends and google as my
> study guide. I don't really understand the use-list's format and have only
> attempted to read it maybe 5 times in the 2 years I have been on it.
>
> Forums are great but still remind me of my childhood and are generally used
> for specific issues. I would really like a Slack thread that can be
> indexed, but to ask people to move away from email might be a little too
> technological for most.
>
> As a person who wants to be involved with the community, and seeing that
> the answers to a lot of problems and issues are contained in this massive,
> unindexed, scattered, blob, of words that spans thousands of emails in my
> inbox, I would like to make a plea to use any alternative that works.
>
> I understand that the use-list is for the OG's but let me ask you, at what
> cost is it acceptable? Even for the OG's, let me ask you, how many
> solutions pointers to the problems you have had do you think are contained
> within the history of the use-list? Can you pull them up quickly in an
> organized fashion?
>

> William D Jamieson
> Amplifiid Education
> Co-Founder
> (408) 692-5356
> www.amplifiideducation.com
> [hidden email]
> <http://facebook.com/williamdjamieson>
> <http://www.linkedin.com/in/williamdjamieson>

Kind regards,

Drs. Mark Schonewille

Homepage: http://economy-x-talk.com
KvK: 50277553

Re: Can we move the use-list to a Google Chat

J. Landman Gay
On 9/30/16 2:53 PM, William Jamieson wrote:
> I don't really understand the use-list's format

It isn't hard. Filter the emails into a folder in your email client, or
subscribe to the digest instead if you only want a single (large-ish)
email per day. The digest is a compilation of all posts in the last
24-hour period.

If you see something you want to respond to, hit "Reply" and start
typing, then send the email. It will go to the list. If you are replying
to a digest, please do remove all the posts except for a short exerpt
from the one you are answering. Some of the digests can get large and
you don't want to quote all of it.

> As a person who wants to be involved with the community, and seeing that
> the answers to a lot of problems and issues are contained in this massive,
> unindexed, scattered, blob, of words that spans thousands of emails in my
> inbox, I would like to make a plea to use any alternative that works.

It works very well for all of us who are here. This has come up many
times in the past and the listserve lives on. We like it.

Nabble has been mentioned if you need to search. There's a duplicate
archive at Gmane as well, with a slightly different interface:
<http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.ide.revolution.user>

Some of us save snippets of useful material in a LiveCode stack, or text
files, or whatever system they prefer. For retrieving old info I didn't
save, I generally hit Nabble.

I depend on the list for the fastest responses possible because not only
is someone always awake and reading it, but most of the pros are here
and they often have answers to fairly obscure problems. I read the
forums via its email digest because that comes to my mailbox as well. I
never visit the forums unless I see something in the digest I want to
answer.

I don't have time to actively peruse a web site, and web sites are far
slower to navigate than emails, even with a fast connection (which not
everyone has.) Basically, if the info doesn't come to me, I won't see it.

Re: Can we move the use-list to a Google Chat

mwieder
On 09/30/2016 06:43 PM, J. Landman Gay wrote:

> Nabble has been mentioned if you need to search. There's a duplicate
> archive at Gmane as well, with a slightly different interface:
> <http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.ide.revolution.user>

Sorry, Gmane's been gone for a while now.

Had a better UI than Nabble, IMO, but it got to be too much work to
maintain. The obituary is posted <somewhere>.

 ahsoftware@gmail.com

On 09/30/2016 03:12 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> but I'm not sure if they're active
> - anyone have a URL for those?

Ah - there's the rub. For anything not maintained by the mothership, you
have to know where it is in order to find it.

 ahsoftware@gmail.com

Re: Can we move the use-list to a Google Chat

Richmond Mathewson-2
"I was raised with a computer, with facebook for my friends and google
as my study guide."

That, presumably, makes you aged between 16 and 21 . . .

Not all of us feel 100% comfortable with Google's octopus-like grip on
various things.

Nor, for that matter, do we see Facebook as the B-all-and-end-all
(although I use it extensively
for communicating with the children I teach).

The use-list may be "retro", but that is not necessarily a bad thing: it
also is really useful when
I need to read it on my Macintoshes that run systems 8.1 and 9.2 using
Netscape 2.

"massive,unindexed, scattered, blob"

Well: as Google lover, all you really need to do is go to Google
in the first line, and whatever you're looking for in the second line,
and press the Return/Enter key,
and "magically" all the refs in both the Use-List and the Forums will
appear.

Richmond.