Cannot get a compiled app to work

pink
So, I made some major revisions to an app that I've been working on, it works fine in a the iOS simulator, but when I put the app on my iPad all I get is the splash screen for a few seconds and then it closes immediately. I've compiled and added through Xcode... I also tried making a beta version and adding ti through TestFlight, neither works.

I tried rolling back to the last version of the stack that works on my iPad, but now when I compile that version, it does not work either.

The important thing to note first, is that my iPad is running 9.3.5.

1. Is it possible that something is causing my app to be compiled in such a way that it is not compatible with iOS 9?
2. What version of Xcode do I need for Livecode 8.1.0? (That was the last version of Livecode that successfully compiled my app and worked on my iPad)
3. Anyone with an iOS 10 device iPad willing to help me out with a test?
4. Any other suggestions about things I can try?
---
Greg (pink) Miller
mad, pink and dangerous to code

Re: Cannot get a compiled app to work

panagiotis merakos-2
Hi Greg,

Since your app does work on the simulator but crashes on startup on a
physical device, a rough guess of the cause is that your app tries to load
"something" on startup (an external maybe?), which can be found on the
simulator because the path to it is valid, but fails on device because the
path to "something" is not found.

I suggest you have a look at the device log in Xcode when you install and
launch the app in your iPad.

PS: The fact that your iPad runs iOS 9.x is not a problem, as long as in
the iOS standalone settings you have NOT chosen to build for "iOS 10.0 or
later".

Best,
Panos
--

On Tue, Dec 6, 2016 at 12:38 PM, pink <[hidden email]> wrote:

> So, I made some major revisions to an app that I've been working on, it
> works
> fine in a the iOS simulator, but when I put the app on my iPad all I get is
> the splash screen for a few seconds and then it closes immediately. I've
> compiled and added through Xcode... I also tried making a beta version and
> adding ti through TestFlight, neither works.
>
> I tried rolling back to the last version of the stack that works on my
> iPad,
> but now when I compile that version, it does not work either.
>
> The important thing to note first, is that my iPad is running 9.3.5.
>
> 1. Is it possible that something is causing my app to be compiled in such a
> way that it is not compatible with iOS 9?
> 2. What version of Xcode do I need for Livecode 8.1.0? (That was the last
> version of Livecode that successfully compiled my app and worked on my
> iPad)
> 3. Anyone with an iOS 10 device iPad willing to help me out with a test?
> 4. Any other suggestions about things I can try?

Panagiotis Merakos <[hidden email]>
LiveCode Software Developer

Everyone Can Create Apps <https://livecode.com>

Re: Cannot get a compiled app to work

pink
I've checked the log, and I'm not sure what to make of it...

Here's the hilights:

Incident Identifier: AFAA6B71-1B35-4D4C-8724-FF8718751FC9
CrashReporter Key:   f7ae25e6109f1f1c31242e123b0dda7eb3f1df37
Hardware Model:      iPad2,6
Process:             MadPink Planning Board 2.1.6 [263]
Identifier:          pink.mad.planningboard2
Version:             2.1.6 (2.1.6)
Code Type:           ARM (Native)
Parent Process:      launchd [1]

Date/Time:           2016-12-06 18:50:14.14 -0500
Launch Time:         2016-12-06 18:50:12.12 -0500
OS Version:          iOS 9.3.5 (13G36)
Report Version:      104

Exception Type:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Subtype: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x00000004
Triggered by Thread:  5

The full log is here:   http://pink.guru/paste/1
---
Greg (pink) Miller
mad, pink and dangerous to code

Re: Cannot get a compiled app to work

pink
alright... after hours of messing around with the program, I have found the cause... I was using Hermann's SVGText widget... once I removed it, the program compiled and worked correctly...

so, why would the widget work correctly on the simulator but not an actual device?

I haven't really dabbled much with LCB, but are there other issues with community widgets in builds?

---
Greg (pink) Miller
mad, pink and dangerous to code

Re: Cannot get a compiled app to work

panagiotis merakos-2
Hi Greg,

I was about to post a reply with my results, since I already have your
.livecode file (you sent it to me for bug 18958).

I also had to remove this widget, otherwise I was getting an error "cannot
load module" when building the iOS standalone. After removing the widget, I
was able to build an iOS standalone. However, after installing the app on
an iPad, the app was crashing on startup.

I noticed that if I change the "Search for required Inclusions" to "Select
Inclusions" (and rebuild an ios standalone), the app no longer crashes on
startup. So my guess is that "Search for required inclusions" adds an
inclusion X to the required ones, but X cannot be found in the standalone,
thus it crashes.

I suggest you rebuild the standalone *without* removing this custom widget,
but choose "Select Inclusions" and make sure you have checked this
particular widget in the "Inclusions" pane.

Please let us know if this fixes the problem.

Best regards,
Panos
--

On Wed, Dec 7, 2016 at 12:40 PM, pink <[hidden email]> wrote:

> alright... after hours of messing around with the program, I have found the
> cause... I was using Hermann's SVGText widget... once I removed it, the
> program compiled and worked correctly...
>
> so, why would the widget work correctly on the simulator but not an actual
> device?
>
> I haven't really dabbled much with LCB, but are there other issues with
> community widgets in builds?

Panagiotis Merakos <[hidden email]>
LiveCode Software Developer

Everyone Can Create Apps <https://livecode.com>

Re: Cannot get a compiled app to work

pink
I gave this a try, I switched to "Select Inclusions" and selected the SVG Text widget. It still does not work.
---
Greg (pink) Miller
mad, pink and dangerous to code

Re: Cannot get a compiled app to work

pink
When I first posted, I mentioned that the program worked in the simulator... that was entirely accurate...

I tested the app in the simulator, but when I went to the section where the SVG Text widget should have been displayed, it wasn't there. I've tried this out a few times, including just making a simple one card stack that only had that one widget in it, here are the notes from this test:

The first time I clicked test and sent the app to the simulator, the app would open, but the widget itself was not displayed.

Any subsequent time I sent the app to the simulator, the app would give me the splash screen and close immediately (UNLESS I restart Livecode).

Regardless, my app will not work on my iPad with the widget in place, doesn't matter if I search for inclusions or select them myself.

---
Greg (pink) Miller
mad, pink and dangerous to code

Re: Cannot get a compiled app to work

panagiotis merakos
Hi Greg,

Thanks for the follow up. Could you please file a bug report, including the
simplified sample stack and the .lcb file needed to create the widget?

Best regards,
Panos