Capture Keystrokes & MouseMovements without being in focus?

Capture Keystrokes & MouseMovements without being in focus?

Niggemann, Bernd via use-livecode
Hi folks,

Is it possible to still trigger the rawKey message or the mousemove
message? when the LC stack is not in focus?

I know can can sort of create my own mousemove message by tracking the
absolute (or is it relative) location of the mouse

but the rawkey up message seems like a no go for any kind of workaround

is there something i don't know about?

on rawup

I want to add 1 to MyStats["Keystrokes"]

end rawup

I'm afraid the answer is no....so unless by some miracle ...

Thank you.

Re: Capture Keystrokes & MouseMovements without being in focus?

Niggemann, Bernd via use-livecode
The only way I know of is to start a relatively fast send loop and check
the keysdown().  For some things it works fine but for most other things
its not a good answer since you can see if a key is down, but not how long
its down, or tell if it has been pressed, then pressed again before the
next loop cycle. All you can do is see that the key IS down.

If you wanted to say.. Have a loop processing something in the background,
you could have it check the keysdown for <whatever keys you want here> and
if they're present, use revspeak to say how far along the process is.  If
you want to do a real, accurate logging of keys though, I'd say its a no go.

On Thu, Jul 5, 2018 at 9:43 PM Tom Glod via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> Is it possible to still trigger the rawKey message or the mousemove
> message? when the LC stack is not in focus?
>
> I know can can sort of create my own mousemove message by tracking the
> absolute (or is it relative) location of the mouse
>
> but the rawkey up message seems like a no go for any kind of workaround
>
> is there something i don't know about?
>
> on rawup
>
> I want to add 1 to MyStats["Keystrokes"]
>
> end rawup
>
> I'm afraid the answer is no....so unless by some miracle ...
>
> Thank you.

Re: Capture Keystrokes & MouseMovements without being in focus?

Niggemann, Bernd via use-livecode
Hi Mike, actually the main problem I was facing is getting a hotkey press
detected when another stack is in focus ....I think this function will
allow me to do that.

The keystroke counter was  something i wanted to do but can live without.
Thanks, I will try this tomorrow ...i don't see why it wouldn't work for
what I need.

there is always an answer i guess. this community rocks.

On Fri, Jul 6, 2018 at 12:23 AM, Mike Bonner via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> The only way I know of is to start a relatively fast send loop and check
> the keysdown().  For some things it works fine but for most other things
> its not a good answer since you can see if a key is down, but not how long
> its down, or tell if it has been pressed, then pressed again before the
> next loop cycle. All you can do is see that the key IS down.
>
> If you wanted to say.. Have a loop processing something in the background,
> you could have it check the keysdown for <whatever keys you want here> and
> if they're present, use revspeak to say how far along the process is.  If
> you want to do a real, accurate logging of keys though, I'd say its a no
> go.
>
> On Thu, Jul 5, 2018 at 9:43 PM Tom Glod via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > Is it possible to still trigger the rawKey message or the mousemove
> > message? when the LC stack is not in focus?
> >
> > I know can can sort of create my own mousemove message by tracking the
> > absolute (or is it relative) location of the mouse
> >
> > but the rawkey up message seems like a no go for any kind of workaround
> >
> > is there something i don't know about?
> >
> > on rawup
> >
> > I want to add 1 to MyStats["Keystrokes"]
> >
> > end rawup
> >
> > I'm afraid the answer is no....so unless by some miracle ...
> >
> > Thank you.

Re: Capture Keystrokes & MouseMovements without being in focus?

Niggemann, Bernd via use-livecode
Cool, yep.  For that purpose it should work great.

Its interesting when using this method for a game.. One can be typing code
into the script editor, and the game does interesting things because its
still looping.  Not that I have ever inadvertently done such a thing...