Changing extention on script only stack

Stephen Barncard via use-livecode
I have my main stack "PanelManager.livecode" with a behavior script with a
file name "panamana.lcs"

Upon compiling for Windows, the script file gets included in the folder
with the program but is renamed "panamana.lcs.livecode"

I would prefer not to have ".livecode" appended onto it.

 > I have a script only stack that is the behavior of a stack that
 > i wish to compile. When I compile it for Windows, I have a
.livecodescript file in the folder. Is it possible to change that
 > extension to .lcs
 >
 > So far all the shots at this I've taken end up appending .livecode to
 > the end.
 >
 > Can this be changed somewhere?

In the file manager.  But I'm guessing you knew that.  So I'm guessing I
don't understand the question.

Re: Changing extention on script only stack

Stephen Barncard via use-livecode
One option to eliminate the external file altogether would be to make it a substack prior to building.

Thanks,
Brian

On 1/8/20 7:58 AM, Brian Milby via use-livecode wrote:
> One option to eliminate the external file altogether would be to make it a substack prior to building.

I have a PR in progress to allow script-only stacks to be substacks.
It's currently partially working.

Re: Changing extention on script only stack

Stephen Barncard via use-livecode
Is there a reason not to just put the script into a button and set the
stack behavior to that? That's what I do when I don't want extra files in
my build.

Sometimes the old ways are best.
--
Jacqueline Landman Gay | [hidden email]
On January 8, 2020 12:28:44 PM Mark Wieder via use-livecode
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 1/8/20 7:58 AM, Brian Milby via use-livecode wrote:
>> One option to eliminate the external file altogether would be to make it a
>> substack prior to building.
>
> I have a PR in progress to allow script-only stacks to be substacks.
> It's currently partially working.
>
> --
>  Mark Wieder
>  [hidden email]

Re: Changing extention on script only stack

Stephen Barncard via use-livecode
+1 from an old guy. :-)

Bob S

> On Jan 8, 2020, at 10:37 , J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Is there a reason not to just put the script into a button and set the stack behavior to that? That's what I do when I don't want extra files in my build.
>
> Sometimes the old ways are best.
> --
> Jacqueline Landman Gay | [hidden email]

Re: Changing extention on script only stack

Stephen Barncard via use-livecode
I could just copy the script into the stack script at build time, but I was
hoping not to.

Here's the story... this particular program is being developed on a
painfully old and slow machine. Livecode's script editor works horribly on
this machine, there is a horrible lag in typing and cutting, copying and
pasting are at best hit or miss. Using an external program to edit the main
script is the only productive way to edit. I was hoping not to have to
switch around too much at compile time, especially if I have to undo it
when going back to editing.

Being able to change the extension for script in the built version would be
the best option.

On Wed, Jan 8, 2020 at 1:37 PM J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is there a reason not to just put the script into a button and set the
> stack behavior to that? That's what I do when I don't want extra files in
> my build.
>
> Sometimes the old ways are best.
> --
> Jacqueline Landman Gay | [hidden email]
> On January 8, 2020 12:28:44 PM Mark Wieder via use-livecode
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On 1/8/20 7:58 AM, Brian Milby via use-livecode wrote:
> >> One option to eliminate the external file altogether would be to make
> it a
> >> substack prior to building.
> >
> > I have a PR in progress to allow script-only stacks to be substacks.
> > It's currently partially working.
> >
> > --
> >  Mark Wieder
> >  [hidden email]

Re: Changing extention on script only stack

Stephen Barncard via use-livecode
Aha. You old edge-case, you.

:)

On 1/8/20 2:16 PM, Greg (Pink) Miller via use-livecode wrote:

> I could just copy the script into the stack script at build time, but I was
> hoping not to.
>
> Here's the story... this particular program is being developed on a
> painfully old and slow machine. Livecode's script editor works horribly on
> this machine, there is a horrible lag in typing and cutting, copying and
> pasting are at best hit or miss. Using an external program to edit the main
> script is the only productive way to edit. I was hoping not to have to
> switch around too much at compile time, especially if I have to undo it
> when going back to editing.
>
> Being able to change the extension for script in the built version would be
> the best option.
>
> On Wed, Jan 8, 2020 at 1:37 PM J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Is there a reason not to just put the script into a button and set the
>> stack behavior to that? That's what I do when I don't want extra files in
>> my build.
>>
>> Sometimes the old ways are best.
>> --
>> Jacqueline Landman Gay | [hidden email]
>> HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com
>> On January 8, 2020 12:28:44 PM Mark Wieder via use-livecode
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> it a
>>>
>>> I have a PR in progress to allow script-only stacks to be substacks.
>>> It's currently partially working.
>>>
>>> --
>>>   Mark Wieder
>>>   [hidden email]

Re: Changing extention on script only stack

Stephen Barncard via use-livecode
And if you want to edit scripts in an external editor, my tool may be useful to you:
https://github.com/bwmilby/scriptTracker

It would support putting the scripts themselves into a repository so you could track changes.  It generates a consolidated diff every time it exports scripts.

Thanks,
Brian
On Jan 11, 2020, 10:34 PM -0500, Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami via use-livecode <[hidden email]>, wrote:

> No revision control. For people working in a "1 human silo"
>
> Is there a reason not to just put the script into a button and set the
> stack behavior to that? That's what I do when I don't want extra files in
> my build.

Re: Changing extention on script only stack

Stephen Barncard via use-livecode
ScriptTracker was definitely the tool I needed. I didn't need an external
script for any reason other than faster editing.

Greg (Pink) Miller wrote:
> ScriptTracker was definitely the tool I needed. I didn't need an external
> script for any reason other than faster editing.

If people are use SoS solely to get away from performance issues in the
Script Editor, rather than add a pile of other tools to make SoS
development simpler it would seem prudent to review and optimize the
Script Editor.

Re: Changing extention on script only stack

Stephen Barncard via use-livecode
I would offer a clarification for ScriptTracker:  while the files it exports could be used as-is for SoS behaviors, that is not the goal of the tool.  One goal is to allow editing of scripts in external editors (performance is one reason, but there are others too).  A larger goal is to allow Git to be used on a binary stack but have the key piece of information (the code) extracted in such a way to facilitate tracking the changes.  A third goal goes hand in hand with that.  This goal is to allow review of code online without having to download the actual stack.  If you look at all of my public repositories you can review any code that is inside my binary stacks natively on GitHub.

If a stack makes sense to distribute as a binary stack file (and not built as an application), then this makes the tracking easy.  I also think it is better for the end user of the stack.  Trevor does something the other way around with Baker’s Assistant.  He develops with behaviors but then assembles everything into a single binary stack for distribution.  I’ve done something similar with Navigator for my own use.

Thanks,
Brian

Brian Milby wrote:
 > I would offer a clarification for ScriptTracker...

I didn't mean to imply your fine tool's only purpose was to help people
get around a slow Script Editor.  It is indeed very useful for its
intended purposes.

But when we start using tools intended for all sorts of things to hobble
together alternatives that allow us to avoid LC's Script Editor, I begin
to wonder:

Isn't it possible to build an efficient, enjoyable text editor in LC?

I believe it is.

I'd do it if someone would pay my bills for a month.

Re: Changing extention on script only stack

Stephen Barncard via use-livecode
The slow editing in LiveCode is a big drawback for me. It is slow, spacing
is usually off till you hit tab, and generally not efficient.

On Tue, 14 Jan 2020 at 20:06, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Brian Milby wrote:
>  > I would offer a clarification for ScriptTracker...
>
> I didn't mean to imply your fine tool's only purpose was to help people
> get around a slow Script Editor.  It is indeed very useful for its
> intended purposes.
>
> But when we start using tools intended for all sorts of things to hobble
> together alternatives that allow us to avoid LC's Script Editor, I begin
> to wonder:
>
> Isn't it possible to build an efficient, enjoyable text editor in LC?
>
> I believe it is.
>
> I'd do it if someone would pay my bills for a month.
>
> --
>   Richard Gaskin
>   Fourth World Systems
>   Software Design and Development for the Desktop, Mobile, and the Web

Kaveh Bazargan PhD
Director
River Valley Technologies <http://rivervalleytechnologies.com/> • Twitter
<https://twitter.com/kaveh1000> • LinkedIn
<https://www.linkedin.com/in/bazargankaveh/>

Re: Changing extention on script only stack

Stephen Barncard via use-livecode
Let's remember this is just Windows we are talking about. I have no issues whatsoever with the OS X version of LC Script Editor, but the few times I really needed to code and debug in Windows it was like scratching my eyes out with a toothpick.

Bob S

Bob Sneidar wrote:

 > Let's remember this is just Windows we are talking about. I have no
 > issues whatsoever with the OS X version of LC Script Editor...

While performance issues are most evident on Windows, there's some
noticeable lag on Mac too.  Most who use external editors here are on Mac.

And then there are oddities that affect all platforms, like the line
numbers getting out of sync with the text when scrolling.

 > ...but the few times I really needed to code and debug in Windows
 > it was like scratching my eyes out with a toothpick.

Yeah, that.

I'll throw in a debugger for free if someone takes me up on by editor offer.

Re: Changing extention on script only stack

Stephen Barncard via use-livecode
I'll pitch in for lunch but I can't fund the whole project.

Bob S

> On Jan 14, 2020, at 14:08 , Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Bob Sneidar wrote:
>
> > Let's remember this is just Windows we are talking about. I have no
> > issues whatsoever with the OS X version of LC Script Editor...
>
> While performance issues are most evident on Windows, there's some noticeable lag on Mac too.  Most who use external editors here are on Mac.
>
> And then there are oddities that affect all platforms, like the line numbers getting out of sync with the text when scrolling.
>

> > ...but the few times I really needed to code and debug in Windows
> > it was like scratching my eyes out with a toothpick.
>
> Yeah, that.
>
> I'll throw in a debugger for free if someone takes me up on by editor offer.
>
> --
> Richard Gaskin
> Fourth World Systems

Re: Changing extention on script only stack

Stephen Barncard via use-livecode
My need for external editors is mostly for Windows (again, the Windows
machines I use are very very old).
I also like reviewing and editing code on my iPad when I am on the go, so
having external scripts is useful even when I don't have LC running. What
else am I going to do at a red light?

but I also have gotten used to using Atom and love it because it is highly
customizable, I can just do a lot from within it that I can't do in the
built-in editor, I can pull and push from Github, I can leave myself
bookmarks and use macros... it's terrific... and faster

the only reasons I ever use the built-in script editor is for watching
variable values, debugging, breakpoints and stepping through scripts... and
I hate when I have to do that because of its performance

Honestly, instead of asking the LC team to beef up the built-in editor, I
would rather they work on providing those debugging capabilities and other
features with external editors. Ditch the built-in editor for a more
seamless integration with Atom (I would argue it is the best option since
it is cross-platform and free.) Heck maybe it just needs one single good
Atom plugin to catch signals from Livecode similar to the remote debugger.
Since I have no idea how it really works I am just assuming it would be
easy to modify ;)

And if I am making whoever is in charge of the built-in editor cry, you are
still loved, and we'll try not to get rid of you

On Tue, Jan 14, 2020 at 5:08 PM Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Bob Sneidar wrote:
>
>  > Let's remember this is just Windows we are talking about. I have no
>  > issues whatsoever with the OS X version of LC Script Editor...
>
> While performance issues are most evident on Windows, there's some
> noticeable lag on Mac too.  Most who use external editors here are on Mac.
>
> And then there are oddities that affect all platforms, like the line
> numbers getting out of sync with the text when scrolling.
>

>  > ...but the few times I really needed to code and debug in Windows
>  > it was like scratching my eyes out with a toothpick.
>
> Yeah, that.
>
> I'll throw in a debugger for free if someone takes me up on by editor
> offer.
>
> --
>   Richard Gaskin
>   Fourth World Systems
>   Software Design and Development for the Desktop, Mobile, and the Web

WEBP Image Format

Stephen Barncard via use-livecode
I have this link although its url is a .png apparently it's in webp format.
This has broken my app.

https://assets.weatherstack.com/images/wsymbols01_png_64/wsymbol_0007_fog.pn

How do I display this in LC? No shells please as this is a mobile app.

Thanks

Ralph DiMola
IT Director
Evergreen Information Services

Re: WEBP Image Format

Stephen Barncard via use-livecode
Hi Ralph,

Webp format is a google image format.

Can you convert the image to standard .png before using it or
is this something google is forcing you to use?

Rick