Check out Jerry's new videos

1234 ... 8

Check out Jerry's new videos

Sarah Reichelt-2
Hi List,

I am really excited about a new development initiative started by
Jerry Daniels of tRev fame.

Like many of you, Jerry & I want to develop for the iPad, but we don't
want the hassle of dealing with the App Store and we don't want to
struggle with Objective-C. So it looks like web apps are a possible
solution, but that requires learning so many technologies: HTML, CSS,
Javascript etc.

So what is the answer? Rodeo!

Go to http://rodeoapps.com/ and check out the three introductory videos.

And if you still don't have tRev, run to http://reveditor.com/tag/shouldiswitch

Cheers,
Sarah

Re: Check out Jerry's new videos

stevef
Hi Sarah

This sounds promising.

Can I give you a call?

Steve Flavel

On 08/05/2010, at 6:15 AM, Sarah Reichelt wrote:

> Hi List,
>
> I am really excited about a new development initiative started by
> Jerry Daniels of tRev fame.
>
> Like many of you, Jerry & I want to develop for the iPad, but we don't
> want the hassle of dealing with the App Store and we don't want to
> struggle with Objective-C. So it looks like web apps are a possible
> solution, but that requires learning so many technologies: HTML, CSS,
> Javascript etc.
>
> So what is the answer? Rodeo!
>
> Go to http://rodeoapps.com/ and check out the three introductory videos.
>
> And if you still don't have tRev, run to http://reveditor.com/tag/shouldiswitch
>
> Cheers,
> Sarah

Re: Check out Jerry's new videos

René Micout
Yes I have seen, but I don't understand... !?   :-(
René

Le 8 mai 2010 à 00:15, Sarah Reichelt a écrit :

> Hi List,
>
> I am really excited about a new development initiative started by
> Jerry Daniels of tRev fame.
>
> Like many of you, Jerry & I want to develop for the iPad, but we don't
> want the hassle of dealing with the App Store and we don't want to
> struggle with Objective-C. So it looks like web apps are a possible
> solution, but that requires learning so many technologies: HTML, CSS,
> Javascript etc.
>
> So what is the answer? Rodeo!
>
> Go to http://rodeoapps.com/ and check out the three introductory videos.
>
> And if you still don't have tRev, run to http://reveditor.com/tag/shouldiswitch
>
> Cheers,
> Sarah

Re: Check out Jerry's new videos

Neal Campbell K3NC
Not to divert anyone from Jerry's Rodeo (I am a Kickstarter!) but if you
want to see something like it, see the link below
http://www.componentone.com/SuperProducts/StudioiPhone/

Its nothing like the ease of Rev (its ,Net after all) but I think its a
similar concept. Except Rodeo (the new product) is a server-oriented app.

Neal Campbell

Re: Check out Jerry's new videos

Jerry Daniels-2
Neal,

Thanks, for Kicking In, btw!

Rodeo's emphasis on server technology is a big plus:

1. We are really leveraging revServer to make it fast and develop it
fast.
2. This eliminates the need to update client apps as Rodeo improves.

Best,

Jerry Daniels

Use tRev's buy link during your 7 day free trial to get 20% off:

On May 7, 2010, at 5:53 PM, Neal Campbell wrote:

> Not to divert anyone from Jerry's Rodeo (I am a Kickstarter!) but if
> you
> want to see something like it, see the link below
> http://www.componentone.com/SuperProducts/StudioiPhone/
>
> Its nothing like the ease of Rev (its ,Net after all) but I think
> its a
> similar concept. Except Rodeo (the new product) is a server-oriented
> app.
>

> Neal Campbell

Re: Check out Jerry's new videos

Thomas McGrath III-3
I already have a life time subscription to on-rev's revServer and I already own tRev, tText, revMobile, RunRev. So I am a bit confused about what is being offered by Rodeo? On the surface it looks like a 'controlled' access to on-rev through privately owned Rodeo and that the benefit of paying this extra $10 a month is that you will provide some iRev Libraries to handle iPad specific UI elements and or access to webKit in a web app???

I hope this is not the case as right away I can see that this will inhibit contributions to a 'free' repository of library like snippets for us on-rev users.

Tom
On May 7, 2010, at 6:56 PM, Jerry Daniels wrote:

> Neal,
>
> Thanks, for Kicking In, btw!
>
> Rodeo's emphasis on server technology is a big plus:
>
> 1. We are really leveraging revServer to make it fast and develop it fast.
> 2. This eliminates the need to update client apps as Rodeo improves.
>
> Best,
>
> Jerry Daniels
>
> Use tRev's buy link during your 7 day free trial to get 20% off:
> http://reveditor.com/tag/shouldiswitch
>
> On May 7, 2010, at 5:53 PM, Neal Campbell wrote:
>
>> Not to divert anyone from Jerry's Rodeo (I am a Kickstarter!) but if you
>> want to see something like it, see the link below
>> http://www.componentone.com/SuperProducts/StudioiPhone/
>>
>> Its nothing like the ease of Rev (its ,Net after all) but I think its a
>> similar concept. Except Rodeo (the new product) is a server-oriented app.
>>

>> Neal Campbell

Re: Check out Jerry's new videos

Sarah Reichelt-2
Think of it as a construction kit for web apps.

Cheers,
Sarah

On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 9:22 AM, Thomas McGrath III <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I already have a life time subscription to on-rev's revServer and I already own tRev, tText, revMobile, RunRev. So I am a bit confused about what is being offered by Rodeo? On the surface it looks like a 'controlled' access to on-rev through privately owned Rodeo and that the benefit of paying this extra $10 a month is that you will provide some iRev Libraries to handle iPad specific UI elements and or access to webKit in a web app???
>
> I hope this is not the case as right away I can see that this will inhibit contributions to a 'free' repository of library like snippets for us on-rev users.
>

> Tom
> On May 7, 2010, at 6:56 PM, Jerry Daniels wrote:
>
>> Neal,
>>
>> Thanks, for Kicking In, btw!
>>
>> Rodeo's emphasis on server technology is a big plus:
>>
>> 1. We are really leveraging revServer to make it fast and develop it fast.
>> 2. This eliminates the need to update client apps as Rodeo improves.
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Jerry Daniels
>>
>> Use tRev's buy link during your 7 day free trial to get 20% off:
>> http://reveditor.com/tag/shouldiswitch
>>
>> On May 7, 2010, at 5:53 PM, Neal Campbell wrote:
>>
>>> Not to divert anyone from Jerry's Rodeo (I am a Kickstarter!) but if you
>>> want to see something like it, see the link below
>>> http://www.componentone.com/SuperProducts/StudioiPhone/
>>>
>>> Its nothing like the ease of Rev (its ,Net after all) but I think its a
>>> similar concept. Except Rodeo (the new product) is a server-oriented app.
>>>

>>> Neal Campbell

Re: Check out Jerry's new videos

slylabs13
Ok I'm in!

Bob

On May 7, 2010, at 3:15 PM, Sarah Reichelt wrote:

> Hi List,
>
> I am really excited about a new development initiative started by
> Jerry Daniels of tRev fame.
>
> Like many of you, Jerry & I want to develop for the iPad, but we don't
> want the hassle of dealing with the App Store and we don't want to
> struggle with Objective-C. So it looks like web apps are a possible
> solution, but that requires learning so many technologies: HTML, CSS,
> Javascript etc.
>
> So what is the answer? Rodeo!
>
> Go to http://rodeoapps.com/ and check out the three introductory videos.
>
> And if you still don't have tRev, run to http://reveditor.com/tag/shouldiswitch
>
> Cheers,
> Sarah

Re: Check out Jerry's new videos

Peter Alcibiades
Guys, they will declare you a virus, or counter revolutionary, or something, and they will ban you not only from the store, but also from their browser.

Of course they thought of this.  If you get away with it, the App Store goes up in smoke.  It always was going to happen that they would use their control of Safari to ban sites.  They always were going to have to plug that loophole.  You will just make them do it tomorrow rather than the next day.

Nice try though.  Got yourselves all on the list of counter revolutionary right wing deviationists and anti-Party clique members now, fairly high up.

Re: Check out Jerry's new videos

Ian Wood-3

On 8 May 2010, at 00:52, Peter Alcibiades wrote:

> Of course they thought of this.

Yes, we *know* that Apple thought of it - it's one of the recommended
methods for creating iPhone/iPad content, with tons of documentation
on Apple's developer site and with specific tools in Xcode. Plus
PhoneGap has been confirmed as working this way without breaking the
SDK terms.

http://developer.apple.com/tools/dashcode/

;-)

Ian

Re: Check out Jerry's new videos

Jerry Daniels-2
IMO, Apple needs to keep the web apps door wide open. Why? It's their answer to the regulators in US and EU.

And thanks to revServer technology and On-Rev, we have muscle to do the heavy lifting on the cloud instead of the iPad.

If you are not exploring On-Rev and doing CGI work with it, I HIGHLY recommend it. Worth every penny!

Best,

Jerry Daniels

Use tRev's buy link during your free trial to get 20% off:

On May 7, 2010, at 7:06 PM, Ian Wood <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 8 May 2010, at 00:52, Peter Alcibiades wrote:
>
>> Of course they thought of this.
>
> Yes, we *know* that Apple thought of it - it's one of the recommended methods for creating iPhone/iPad content, with tons of documentation on Apple's developer site and with specific tools in Xcode. Plus PhoneGap has been confirmed as working this way without breaking the SDK terms.
>
> http://developer.apple.com/tools/dashcode/
>
> ;-)
>
> Ian

Re: Check out Jerry's new videos

Peter Alcibiades
Jerry, its for Linux.  So I don't have revBrowser, don't have the browser plug-in, no desktop version.

I did think about it when the introductory deal was introduced, but took a pass because there was no way of knowing if I'd ever be able to use it.  The Rev site says that the Linux desktop version is coming soon.  Is it really.

Its a nice idea you guys have had.  Hope you do get away with it!

Re: Check out Jerry's new videos

Robert Mann
Looks brilliant! I came to some very similar conclusion for a project of mine and jotted down today in a post about ipad that going on with on-rev seemed to me a (lost from the eyes) priority for runrev.

Long time ago there was the promiss that stacks would run ok instead of plain .irev files, and that the on-rev server would be available "soon" for september 09.

I do hope your project will help them focus again on that issue and lead to the long waited opening of the on-rev beta program! I do feel really frustrated that they went on the mobile program before delivering the promissed on-rev stuff which seemed sooooo important to me and my projects over here in France. [copy to runrev]

And.. as we say in France "chapeau bas" jerry and the team for tRev and its future as Rodéo. That looks liek a great western like heroic move from here!!

Re: Check out Jerry's new videos

Colin Holgate-2
I think you may be missing a bigger market. HTML5 is supposed the be all the rage, but there are almost no tools for making HTML5 pages. You could promote your tool for making HTML5 pages, and then the fact that it might be iPad compatible would be a selling point for your tool. As it stands it sounds like an iPad web app tool, and people needing HTML5 pages might not think of using it, and people like me who want to do iPad apps will realize that your tool won't work offline, and so won't be interested.

Re: Check out Jerry's new videos

Sarah Reichelt-2
> Jerry, its for Linux.  So I don't have revBrowser, don't have the browser
> plug-in, no desktop version.
>
> I did think about it when the introductory deal was introduced, but took a
> pass because there was no way of knowing if I'd ever be able to use it.  The
> Rev site says that the Linux desktop version is coming soon.  Is it really.

Peter, you don't need the On-Rev client app to use On-Rev. The files
are just text-based so it's like editing html or PHP files, you can
use any text editor and any FTP client.

On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 11:21 AM, Colin Holgate <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I think you may be missing a bigger market. HTML5 is supposed the be all the rage, but there are almost no tools for making HTML5 pages. You could promote your tool for making HTML5 pages, and then the fact that it might be iPad compatible would be a selling point for your tool. As it stands it sounds like an iPad web app tool, and people needing HTML5 pages might not think of using it, and people like me who want to do iPad apps will realize that your tool won't work offline, and so won't be interested.

Hi Colin, interesting thoughts about HTML5.

As regards Rodeo, while iPad editing will be through the browser and
require you to be online, the desktop app will work offline.

Cheers,
Sarah

Re: Check out Jerry's new videos

René Micout
Hello Jerry,
I am an on-rev founder, but I have not yet used...
I begin to understand the "thing" (Rodeo), but I am going to need a little time to really assimilate the concept...
Is all iPad functionnality is available ? Music by example ?
Thanks
René

Is Rodeo working off-line ?_______________________________________________

Re: Check out Jerry's new videos

Peter Alcibiades
"Peter, you don't need the On-Rev client app to use On-Rev."

But don't you need the browser plug-in to use the pages you've made?  For instance, I seemingly can't get to the parts of your site that are Rev based, because of no plug-in.   Or is this a mistake?

Can you step through it,  you want to make a web app, usable through the browser, either on the local machine  or on a local server, or on the On-Rev server.  What bits exactly do you have to use from Rev?

Peter

On 8 May 2010, at 02:21, Colin Holgate wrote:

> people like me who want to do iPad apps will realize that your tool
> won't work offline, and so won't be interested.

That depends on how Rodeoapps sets up the pages - the HTML5 spec
allows for data to be stored locally on the browsing device via SQLite.

On 8 May 2010, at 09:16, Peter Alcibiades wrote:

> "Peter, you don't need the On-Rev client app to use On-Rev."
>
> But don't you need the browser plug-in to use the pages you've
> made?  For
> instance, I seemingly can't get to the parts of your site that are Rev
> based, because of no plug-in.   Or is this a mistake?

On-Rev is equivalent to things like PHP - it's ALL server-side. I use
it for a number of more complex utility pages that I'd never have time
to learn how to do in PHP. Like Sarah says, all you need to do is
upload .irev text files. The desktop client then gives you the ability
to debug remotely.

Sarah's site has both information about On-Rev and information about
the plug-in, two separate things.

> Can you step through it,  you want to make a web app, usable through
> the
> browser, either on the local machine  or on a local server, or on
> the On-Rev
> server.  What bits exactly do you have to use from Rev?

I assume that their service is using the On-Rev server to generate all
the HTML5/CSS/JS files.

Ian
1234 ... 8