Checkmark for Mac & Windows

dunbarx via use-livecode
I generate lists on the fly with the first item of each line set with a checkmark. After I construct the list under script, I just insert it into a standard LC table field. The user can then toggle the checkmark of each line off or on with a click (a script in the field takes care of that).

On Mac it's just a matter of using the checkmark character (option-v) which I can type right into a script. But on Windows it does not display. I don't want to rely on a specific font in case the user does not have that installed. Is there really not an *simple* way to do this so that it works on both Mac and Windows? I’m redoing a currently Mac-only app so I can release for Windows too and don’t really want to re-work all this if there’s a simple solution that I’m missing.

Thanks,

Marty

Re: Checkmark for Mac & Windows

dunbarx via use-livecode
Check out "imagesource" - it may be what you need.  You can do something
like:

*set* the imageSource of char 1 of line 1 of fld "Test" of this cd to 878
Which is a "+" sign, but you can use your own images.  modTableField uses
this strategy and has icons for the checked and unchecked state.  You could
track state with a particular character in that position if needed.

Thanks,
Brian

On Fri, Mar 23, 2018 at 8:22 PM, Knapp Martin via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I generate lists on the fly with the first item of each line set with a
> checkmark. After I construct the list under script, I just insert it into a
> standard LC table field. The user can then toggle the checkmark of each
> line off or on with a click (a script in the field takes care of that).
>
> On Mac it's just a matter of using the checkmark character (option-v)
> which I can type right into a script. But on Windows it does not display. I
> don't want to rely on a specific font in case the user does not have that
> installed. Is there really not an *simple* way to do this so that it works
> on both Mac and Windows? I’m redoing a currently Mac-only app so I can
> release for Windows too and don’t really want to re-work all this if
> there’s a simple solution that I’m missing.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Marty

Re: Checkmark for Mac & Windows

dunbarx via use-livecode
One idea:

- Create or find a checkmark image you like, that looks good within the
textHeight of your lists
- Import it into your app
- make sure each line of text begins with maybe 3 spaces
- use the ID of the checkmark image as the imageSource of char 1 of each
line
- let your (now modified) script support the same toggle action it now
supports

HTH -
Phil Davis

On 3/23/18 6:22 PM, Knapp Martin via use-livecode wrote:

> I generate lists on the fly with the first item of each line set with a checkmark. After I construct the list under script, I just insert it into a standard LC table field. The user can then toggle the checkmark of each line off or on with a click (a script in the field takes care of that).
>
> On Mac it's just a matter of using the checkmark character (option-v) which I can type right into a script. But on Windows it does not display. I don't want to rely on a specific font in case the user does not have that installed. Is there really not an *simple* way to do this so that it works on both Mac and Windows? I’m redoing a currently Mac-only app so I can release for Windows too and don’t really want to re-work all this if there’s a simple solution that I’m missing.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Marty

Phil Davis

RE: Checkmark for Mac & Windows

dunbarx via use-livecode
Phil, can you provide a sample script?

- Create or find a checkmark image you like, that looks good within the textHeight of your lists
- Import it into your app
- make sure each line of text begins with maybe 3 spaces
- use the ID of the checkmark image as the imageSource of char 1 of each line
- let your (now modified) script support the same toggle action it now supports

HTH -
Phil Davis

On 3/23/18 6:22 PM, Knapp Martin via use-livecode wrote:

> I generate lists on the fly with the first item of each line set with a checkmark. After I construct the list under script, I just insert it into a standard LC table field. The user can then toggle the checkmark of each line off or on with a click (a script in the field takes care of that).
>
> On Mac it's just a matter of using the checkmark character (option-v) which I can type right into a script. But on Windows it does not display. I don't want to rely on a specific font in case the user does not have that installed. Is there really not an *simple* way to do this so that it works on both Mac and Windows? I’m redoing a currently Mac-only app so I can release for Windows too and don’t really want to re-work all this if there’s a simple solution that I’m missing.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Marty

Phil Davis

Re: Checkmark for Mac & Windows

dunbarx via use-livecode
Yes I was thinking I could do that and it’s easy enough. Just seems odd that such a common character can’t be easily typed in Windows.

For Clarence:
set the imageSource of char 1 of line 1 of fld "SomeField” to 1234 —where 1234 is the id of the image you want to use.

Marty

> On Mar 23, 2018, at 9:12 PM, Clarence Martin via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Phil, can you provide a sample script?

Another approach:
- find an open source font that has the character you want, plus all
text looks OK
- include the font (and its license) in your app
- when you start your app, "start using font file tMyFontFile"
- set your table field to use this font
- toggle similar to the way you do now

Phil

On 3/23/18 11:13 PM, Knapp Martin via use-livecode wrote:

> Yes I was thinking I could do that and it’s easy enough. Just seems odd that such a common character can’t be easily typed in Windows.
>
> For Clarence:
> set the imageSource of char 1 of line 1 of fld "SomeField” to 1234 —where 1234 is the id of the image you want to use.
>
> Marty
>
>> On Mar 23, 2018, at 9:12 PM, Clarence Martin via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Phil, can you provide a sample script?

Phil Davis

Re: Checkmark for Mac & Windows

dunbarx via use-livecode
What he said. I have a bullet image I use for list fields if what I am doing is too simple for a datagrid. Sometimes a list is just a list.

Bob S

> On Mar 23, 2018, at 19:15 , Brian Milby via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Check out "imagesource" - it may be what you need.  You can do something
> like:
>
> *set* the imageSource of char 1 of line 1 of fld "Test" of this cd to 878
> Which is a "+" sign, but you can use your own images.  modTableField uses
> this strategy and has icons for the checked and unchecked state.  You could
> track state with a particular character in that position if needed.
>
> Thanks,
> Brian
>
> On Fri, Mar 23, 2018 at 8:22 PM, Knapp Martin via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I generate lists on the fly with the first item of each line set with a
>> checkmark. After I construct the list under script, I just insert it into a
>> standard LC table field. The user can then toggle the checkmark of each
>> line off or on with a click (a script in the field takes care of that).
>>
>> On Mac it's just a matter of using the checkmark character (option-v)
>> which I can type right into a script. But on Windows it does not display. I
>> don't want to rely on a specific font in case the user does not have that
>> installed. Is there really not an *simple* way to do this so that it works
>> on both Mac and Windows? I’m redoing a currently Mac-only app so I can
>> release for Windows too and don’t really want to re-work all this if
>> there’s a simple solution that I’m missing.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Marty

Re: Checkmark for Mac & Windows

dunbarx via use-livecode
I use a space and a tab, then set the tabs of the field to control the distance of the list from the images.

Bob S