Clipboard Anomally [BUG]?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
31 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Clipboard Anomally [BUG]?

Kay C Lan
Well folks with the opportunity to spend all yesterday scripting, what
did I do. I went bug hunting. I've never submitted a bug into Bugzilla
but I felt it was time I stepped up and gave it a shot so I went after
the 'IDE anomaly' that irks me most.

The occasional failure of the IDE to paste the contents of the clipboard.

Here is my recipe. Sorry this is Mac specific as it uses Automator - I
guess there is some Windows equivalent of Automator which might
produce a similar result.

Basically when you run this script nothing ends up in field "Text",
nothing in the msg box, but if you select any other application that
handles text and select 'Paste' or the keyboard shortcut, the contents
of your file will be pasted. Going back to Rev and using either the
keyboard or the menu will NOT paste anything into field "Text".

TextEdit Test
Step 1: Start TextEdit, create a new document and enter some text.
>From the 'Format' menu select "Make Plain Text" and save to your
desktop with a useful name like 'Input.txt' I left the Encoding as
'Western (Mac OS Roman)'

Step 2: If you are familiar with Automator:
        i) Finder action to "Ask For Finder Items"
        ii) Finder action to "Open Finder Item" Open with "TextEdit"
        iii) TextEdit action to "Get Contents of TextEdit Document"
        iv) System action to "Copy to Clipboard"
        v) TextEdit action to "New Text File" Save as "Output.txt" to 'Desktop'
       
       
If you are not familiar with Automator:
        a) Select 'New' from the 'File' menu.
        b) Choose 'Finder' in Library column, Applications folder.
        c) Select from the 'Action' Column: "Ask for Finder Items"
The defaults should be: Type: Files, Start at: Desktop, Allow Multiple: No
        d) Select from the 'Action' Column: "Open Finder Items"
Change "Open with:" from the Default Application to "TextEdit"
        e) Choose 'TextEdit' in the Library column
        f) Drag "Get Contents of TextEdit Document" from the Action column to
the Automator window.
        g) Drag "Copy to Clipboard" from the Action column to the Automator window.
        h) Choose 'TextEdit' from the Library column.
        i) Drag "New Text File" from the Action column to the Automator window.
Set 'Save as' to "Output.txt" and 'Where' to "Desktop"


Step 3: Save as... "Text to CB TextEdit" as an application. The name
must be the same as used in the Rev script.

Step 4: Click the Automator 'Run' button to confirm that it operates
as expected (delete the Output.txt file created on your desktop)

Step 5: In Rev create a new stack with one button "Start" and one field "Text"
Step 6: In the button place the following script:

Be careful of line breaks, line numbers are commented at the end.

on mouseUP  --1
set the clipboardData["text"] to empty  --2
        do "tell application" & quote & "Text to CB TextEdit" & quote &
return & "run" & return & "end tell" & return & "tell application" &
quote & "Revolution" & quote & return & "activate" & return & "end
tell" as AppleScript  --3
    --do "tell application" & quote & "Text to CB BBEdit" & quote &
return & "run" & return & "end tell" & return & "tell application" &
quote & "Revolution" & quote & return & "activate" & return & "end
tell" as AppleScript  --4
    wait 10 seconds  --gives Automator time to do it's thing  --5
    select text of field "Text"  --6
    paste  --7
    --the breakpoint is here so that you can use the Variable Watcher
to see that tMyStore initially contains "empty" then it is empty.  --8
    breakpoint  --9
    put the clipboard into tMyStore  --10
    put the clipboardData["Text"] into tMyStore  --11
    put tMyStore into msg  --12
end mouseUp  --13

You'll notice in the script above a 'do' statement at line 4 which has
been commented out. Because TextEdit isn't the most powerful text
editor around I thought I'd give it another go using BBEdit, and one
further step, converting the file contents to ASCII. I imagine this
might be possible with the free TextWrangler if you don't own BBEdit.

BBEdit Test
Step 7: Now that you are familiar with Automator:
        i) Finder action to "Ask For Finder Items"
        ii) Finder action to "Open Finder Item" Open with "TextEdit"
        iii) BBEdit action to "Get Contents of BBEdit Document"
        **iv) BBEdit action to "Convert to ASCII"**
        v) System action to "Copy to Clipboard"
        vi) BBEdit action to "New BBEdit Document" Save as "Output.txt" to 'Desktop'

Step 8: Save as... **"Text to CB BBEdit"** as an application. The name
must be the same as used in the Rev script.

Step 9: Click the Automator 'Run' button to confirm that it operates
as expected (delete the Output.txt file created on your desktop)

Step 10: In the button script comment the first 'do' statement and
uncomment the second one.

Looking for confirmation that others experience a clipboard full of
text that only Rev doesn't want to touch and believe this is a bug.
_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Clipboard Anomally [BUG]?

Chipp Walters
Kay,
Isn't there a simpler recipe...like open up BBEdit, select text, copy, then
paste into fld "text"?

Frankly, I'm not sure I even understand where the bug lies, the failure to
copy the text by Rev, or the failure of Automator to put the text on the
clipboard in a timely matter?

If I were you, I might want to try and distill this into a simpler form,
where anyone can recreate the bug in the minimal number of steps, w/out
introducing so many different outside variables.

Oh, and I might try:
wait 10 seconds with messages

Good luck!

-Chipp
_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Clipboard Anomally [BUG]?

Jim Ault
In reply to this post by Kay C Lan
On 11/8/06 11:47 PM, "Kay C Lan" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The occasional failure of the IDE to paste the contents of the clipboard.

This has been discussed before on this list, probably about a year ago.
Don't know if there is a Bugzilla or not.

Yes, the clipboardData is not 100% reliable.  I did create one solution for
AppleScript, moving text by copy in Excel, paste into BBEdit, copy, then
paste into Rev in order to bring some table data from Excel.  This produced
cleaner formatting(tabs), but still was not 100% reliable.  Without the
BBEdit step, less than 50% reliable.

My end solution was to parse the returned 'result' for the quote/comma list
format of AppleScript.  Works fine for limited needs.

If the simple Applescript return does not work for you, I would suggest you
save as a tempFile.txt to the desktop from AppleScript, then
put url ("file:"&path&filenameUsed.txt) into theVarYouWant
delete file path&filenameUsed.txt

I can post the script I use to pass variables directly to Excel, then use
the returned values in Rev.  This does not involve triggering Excel VBA
macros, although you could.

Jim Ault
Las Vegas

On 11/8/06 11:47 PM, "Kay C Lan" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Well folks with the opportunity to spend all yesterday scripting, what
> did I do. I went bug hunting. I've never submitted a bug into Bugzilla
> but I felt it was time I stepped up and gave it a shot so I went after
> the 'IDE anomaly' that irks me most.
>
> The occasional failure of the IDE to paste the contents of the clipboard.
>
> Here is my recipe. Sorry this is Mac specific as it uses Automator - I
> guess there is some Windows equivalent of Automator which might
> produce a similar result.
>
> Basically when you run this script nothing ends up in field "Text",
> nothing in the msg box, but if you select any other application that
> handles text and select 'Paste' or the keyboard shortcut, the contents
> of your file will be pasted. Going back to Rev and using either the
> keyboard or the menu will NOT paste anything into field "Text".
>
> TextEdit Test
> Step 1: Start TextEdit, create a new document and enter some text.
>> From the 'Format' menu select "Make Plain Text" and save to your
> desktop with a useful name like 'Input.txt' I left the Encoding as
> 'Western (Mac OS Roman)'
>
> Step 2: If you are familiar with Automator:
> i) Finder action to "Ask For Finder Items"
> ii) Finder action to "Open Finder Item" Open with "TextEdit"
> iii) TextEdit action to "Get Contents of TextEdit Document"
> iv) System action to "Copy to Clipboard"
> v) TextEdit action to "New Text File" Save as "Output.txt" to 'Desktop'
>
>
> If you are not familiar with Automator:
> a) Select 'New' from the 'File' menu.
> b) Choose 'Finder' in Library column, Applications folder.
> c) Select from the 'Action' Column: "Ask for Finder Items"
> The defaults should be: Type: Files, Start at: Desktop, Allow Multiple: No
> d) Select from the 'Action' Column: "Open Finder Items"
> Change "Open with:" from the Default Application to "TextEdit"
> e) Choose 'TextEdit' in the Library column
> f) Drag "Get Contents of TextEdit Document" from the Action column to
> the Automator window.
> g) Drag "Copy to Clipboard" from the Action column to the Automator window.
> h) Choose 'TextEdit' from the Library column.
> i) Drag "New Text File" from the Action column to the Automator window.
> Set 'Save as' to "Output.txt" and 'Where' to "Desktop"
>
>
> Step 3: Save as... "Text to CB TextEdit" as an application. The name
> must be the same as used in the Rev script.
>
> Step 4: Click the Automator 'Run' button to confirm that it operates
> as expected (delete the Output.txt file created on your desktop)
>
> Step 5: In Rev create a new stack with one button "Start" and one field "Text"
> Step 6: In the button place the following script:
>
> Be careful of line breaks, line numbers are commented at the end.
>
> on mouseUP  --1
> set the clipboardData["text"] to empty  --2
> do "tell application" & quote & "Text to CB TextEdit" & quote &
> return & "run" & return & "end tell" & return & "tell application" &
> quote & "Revolution" & quote & return & "activate" & return & "end
> tell" as AppleScript  --3
>     --do "tell application" & quote & "Text to CB BBEdit" & quote &
> return & "run" & return & "end tell" & return & "tell application" &
> quote & "Revolution" & quote & return & "activate" & return & "end
> tell" as AppleScript  --4
>     wait 10 seconds  --gives Automator time to do it's thing  --5
>     select text of field "Text"  --6
>     paste  --7
>     --the breakpoint is here so that you can use the Variable Watcher
> to see that tMyStore initially contains "empty" then it is empty.  --8
>     breakpoint  --9
>     put the clipboard into tMyStore  --10
>     put the clipboardData["Text"] into tMyStore  --11
>     put tMyStore into msg  --12
> end mouseUp  --13
>
> You'll notice in the script above a 'do' statement at line 4 which has
> been commented out. Because TextEdit isn't the most powerful text
> editor around I thought I'd give it another go using BBEdit, and one
> further step, converting the file contents to ASCII. I imagine this
> might be possible with the free TextWrangler if you don't own BBEdit.
>
> BBEdit Test
> Step 7: Now that you are familiar with Automator:
> i) Finder action to "Ask For Finder Items"
> ii) Finder action to "Open Finder Item" Open with "TextEdit"
> iii) BBEdit action to "Get Contents of BBEdit Document"
> **iv) BBEdit action to "Convert to ASCII"**
> v) System action to "Copy to Clipboard"
> vi) BBEdit action to "New BBEdit Document" Save as "Output.txt" to 'Desktop'
>
> Step 8: Save as... **"Text to CB BBEdit"** as an application. The name
> must be the same as used in the Rev script.
>
> Step 9: Click the Automator 'Run' button to confirm that it operates
> as expected (delete the Output.txt file created on your desktop)
>
> Step 10: In the button script comment the first 'do' statement and
> uncomment the second one.
>
> Looking for confirmation that others experience a clipboard full of
> text that only Rev doesn't want to touch and believe this is a bug.
> _______________________________________________
> use-revolution mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription
> preferences:
> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution


_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Clipboard Anomally [BUG]?

Kay C Lan
In reply to this post by Chipp Walters
On 11/9/06, Chipp Walters <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Isn't there a simpler recipe...like open up BBEdit, select text, copy, then
> paste into fld "text"?

Yes, that works perfectly well, and I've long since discovered my own
workarounds, but I guess I failed to express my point clearly. Not the
first time:-)

> Frankly, I'm not sure I even understand where the bug lies, the failure to
> copy the text by Rev, or the failure of Automator to put the text on the
> clipboard in a timely matter?

The 'possible' bug is that the keyboard shortcut for pasting text in
Rev occasionally doesn't work. I experience this several times a Rev
session BUT can not reproduce it reliably. I know that others on the
list have experienced the same anomaly. Jim, in his solution mentions
a 'not 100% reliable', which again means hard to actually pin down,
even harder to troubleshoot.

Through other scripting I've been doing I came across this situation
where Automator puts text into the clipboard and EVERY other
application can paste that text EXCEPT Rev. This happens, for me
anyway, EVERY TIME. Yes, it could be a problem with TextEdit, BBEdit
or Automator. But I feel that if others were to try this and got a
100% FAILURE, then that will help Rev quickly locate if the problem is
with Rev or one of the other Apps. If it is with Rev I fell that this
might go a long way in solving the random failure of Rev to paste the
clipboard.

Yes I do applogise, my recipe does look as though it is long and
tedious to work through, but actually, if you've done any work with
Automator, the whole process of creating a small text file, the
Autmator app and the Rev Stack should not be more than 10min.

Thanks to those who can spare the time:-)
_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Clipboard Anomally [BUG]?

Kay C Lan
In reply to this post by Chipp Walters
On 11/9/06, Chipp Walters <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Isn't there a simpler recipe...like open up BBEdit, select text, copy, then
> paste into fld "text"?

Sorry, I didn't even make that clear:-(

As a recipe for showing the bug, no, what you propose does not do it.
Or doesn't do it frequently. I do have a firm belief that the
'trigger' for the bug is switching between apps. I typically have
several apps open and copy and paste code snippets from them. This
includes Preview and/or Acrobat, BBEdit and CopyPaste. But it's never
predictable.

As a recipe for getting BBEdit text into a Rev field, what you suggest
works 99.9% of the time, and I acknowledge that my process isn't a
logical way to get a text file into Rev, but I'm more focused on a
100% repeatable situation where the clipboard contains text, but Rev
won't paste it.

Now I hope I've expressed myself clearly:-)
_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Clipboard Anomally [BUG]?

J. Landman Gay
Kay C Lan wrote:

> On 11/9/06, Chipp Walters <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Isn't there a simpler recipe...like open up BBEdit, select text, copy,
>> then
>> paste into fld "text"?
>
> Sorry, I didn't even make that clear:-(
>
> As a recipe for showing the bug, no, what you propose does not do it.
> Or doesn't do it frequently. I do have a firm belief that the
> 'trigger' for the bug is switching between apps. I typically have
> several apps open and copy and paste code snippets from them. This
> includes Preview and/or Acrobat, BBEdit and CopyPaste. But it's never
> predictable.
>
> As a recipe for getting BBEdit text into a Rev field, what you suggest
> works 99.9% of the time, and I acknowledge that my process isn't a
> logical way to get a text file into Rev, but I'm more focused on a
> 100% repeatable situation where the clipboard contains text, but Rev
> won't paste it.
>
> Now I hope I've expressed myself clearly:-)

Do you have an openfield script in the field that won't accept a paste?
Someone recently notified me of a problem with that, but I haven't had
time to verify it yet. I don't think all openfield scripts cause a
problem, but some particular ones might. Maybe we can narrow it down.

--
Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     [hidden email]
HyperActive Software           |     http://www.hyperactivesw.com
_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Clipboard Anomally [BUG]?

Chipp Walters
In reply to this post by Kay C Lan
Kay,

Can you paste via the menu? If so, then I imagine there is a problem with
the key shortcut, which would be an IDE bug and you could create a
frontscript plugin to override (if you really had to have this functionality
now). If you cannot paste via the menu, then perhaps you can put in the msg
box:

put the clipboarddata["text"]  (I think that's the correct syntax)

and see if the data is even on the clipboard at all. If it's not on the
clipboard, then you can switch to another program (other than BBedit or
TeachText) and see if you can paste it there. If you cannot, then perhaps
there's a problem with Automator. If you can paste it there, and it never
shows in Rev, you have an engine bug.

best,

Chipp
_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Clipboard Anomally [BUG]?

J. Landman Gay
Chipp Walters wrote:
> If you cannot paste via the menu, then perhaps you can put in the msg
> box:
>
> put the clipboarddata["text"]  (I think that's the correct syntax)
>
> and see if the data is even on the clipboard at all.

Speaking of clipboards, I'm having some trouble in Windows. I found that
if I have something on the clipboard and then I do some other action in
the OS -- like launching an application -- the clipboard gets emptied.
For example, I had some text on the clipboard, then I launched Rev,
opened a stack, and tried to paste and the clipboard was gone. I thought
it was a Rev bug, but when I repeated the experiment and opened Notepad
instead, the same thing happened. But if both apps were already running,
then the clipboard transfered over as long as I didn't do anything else
in between. What makes that happen, and is there a workaround?

--
Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     [hidden email]
HyperActive Software           |     http://www.hyperactivesw.com
_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Clipboard Anomally [BUG]?

Jim Ault
In reply to this post by Chipp Walters
On 11/9/06 9:32 PM, "Chipp Walters" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Kay,
>
> Can you paste via the menu? If so, then I imagine there is a problem with
> the key shortcut, which would be an IDE bug and you could create a
> frontscript plugin to override (if you really had to have this functionality
> now). If you cannot paste via the menu, then perhaps you can put in the msg
> box:

The keyboard shortcut not working for cut, copy, paste on Mac OSX and Rev
2.6.1 and for 2.7.2 has been discussed before (not sure about WinXP).  I
experience it every week and just start using the menu when it occurs.
Restarting Rev will fix it, but when developing, it is not worth the restart
just for this.  This is not limited to text between apps, but also copy
object, paste object, duplicate object within Rev.

>From my days of programming with Excel intensively on Win and Mac, the
clipboard has many definitions (bit maps, charts, cell ranges, spinners,
etc) that I got used to clipboard data not being 'transportable' between
apps.  I just assumed that Rev was managing the clipboard in its own way and
the compatibility with the system clipboard environment was not perfect.

I could be wrong and it is a bug.  My opinion is not to trust the Rev
clipboard, just like the Excel variations I found.

Jim Ault
Las Vegas


_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: Clipboard Anomally [BUG]?

MisterX

on windows, you just cannot rely on menu shortcuts, anywhere...

On Metacard they work though! Though the clipboard has it's issues too in MC
(like text between backslashed being stripped out! MC v2.5.1)

Launching new apps to paste into them certainly works (however, you will
loose your rev stack's selection for which another frontscript is needed)...

Lots of bugzillas since 2.1.2 have been posted but these features don't seem
to be tested for long because they go through every PC release unchecked...

I made a plugin 2 years ago to address this issue but it was ignored at
large as I remember - but it works great here! Trying to fix the html
problems of pasting out of rev also didn't work as I posted a week or 2 ago
- but that post too was ignored at large...

Regards,
Xavier

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [hidden email]
> [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Jim Ault
> Sent: Friday, 10 November, 2006 07:26
> To: How to use Revolution
> Subject: Re: Clipboard Anomally [BUG]?
>
> On 11/9/06 9:32 PM, "Chipp Walters" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Kay,
> >
> > Can you paste via the menu? If so, then I imagine there is
> a problem
> > with the key shortcut, which would be an IDE bug and you
> could create
> > a frontscript plugin to override (if you really had to have this
> > functionality now). If you cannot paste via the menu, then
> perhaps you
> > can put in the msg
> > box:
>
> The keyboard shortcut not working for cut, copy, paste on Mac
> OSX and Rev
> 2.6.1 and for 2.7.2 has been discussed before (not sure about
> WinXP).  I experience it every week and just start using the
> menu when it occurs.
> Restarting Rev will fix it, but when developing, it is not
> worth the restart just for this.  This is not limited to text
> between apps, but also copy object, paste object, duplicate
> object within Rev.
>
> >From my days of programming with Excel intensively on Win
> and Mac, the
> clipboard has many definitions (bit maps, charts, cell
> ranges, spinners,
> etc) that I got used to clipboard data not being
> 'transportable' between apps.  I just assumed that Rev was
> managing the clipboard in its own way and the compatibility
> with the system clipboard environment was not perfect.
>
> I could be wrong and it is a bug.  My opinion is not to trust
> the Rev clipboard, just like the Excel variations I found.
>
> Jim Ault
> Las Vegas
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> use-revolution mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage
> your subscription preferences:
> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution

_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Clipboard Anomally [BUG]?

Chipp Walters
In reply to this post by J. Landman Gay
On 11/9/06, J. Landman Gay <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> Speaking of clipboards, I'm having some trouble in Windows. I found that
> if I have something on the clipboard and then I do some other action in
> the OS -- like launching an application -- the clipboard gets emptied.
> For example, I had some text on the clipboard, then I launched Rev,
> opened a stack, and tried to paste and the clipboard was gone. I thought
> it was a Rev bug, but when I repeated the experiment and opened Notepad
> instead, the same thing happened. But if both apps were already running,
> then the clipboard transfered over as long as I didn't do anything else
> in between. What makes that happen, and is there a workaround?


Hi Jacque,
Actually, I find copy/paste clipboard issues always occur when launching
Rev. Rev seems to always start with a clear clipboard on XP. I don't have
the same problem with copy/paste text in other apps. I do have problems
copy/paste images to Photoshop on occassion, but there is a registry hack
for it.

best,
Chipp
_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Clipboard Anomally [BUG]?

Trevor DeVore
In reply to this post by Kay C Lan
On Nov 8, 2006, at 11:47 PM, Kay C Lan wrote:
>
> The occasional failure of the IDE to paste the contents of the  
> clipboard.

Is this possibly related to this bug report?

http://support.runrev.com/bugdatabase/show_bug.cgi?id=3877

--
Trevor DeVore
Blue Mango Learning Systems - www.bluemangolearning.com
[hidden email]


_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Clipboard Anomally [BUG]?

J. Landman Gay
In reply to this post by Chipp Walters
Chipp Walters wrote:

> Actually, I find copy/paste clipboard issues always occur when launching
> Rev. Rev seems to always start with a clear clipboard on XP. I don't have
> the same problem with copy/paste text in other apps.

I restarted WinXP, copied some text in Notepad, closed Notepad, reopened
Notepad, and pasted. It worked. Then I relaunched Revolution, made a new
stack with a field, and pasted. And that worked too. So it isn't
consistent. Today's test seems to show that Rev doesn't automatically
clear the clipboard.

I wish I could pin down when it fails, because I have a standalone with
a registration dialog that users paste a serial number into. If they
copy the serial from an email and launch my app, it only pastes
sporadically. If the dialog is already open when they flip over to email
to copy, it pastes every time.

--
Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     [hidden email]
HyperActive Software           |     http://www.hyperactivesw.com
_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Clipboard Anomally [BUG]?

Mark MacKenzie
I need to be able to do this as well, for a registration stack
function.  I have awful trouble with the copy and paste function
(to/from clipboard) not working as it should.  You have described it
perfectly.

Regards

Mark MacKenzie

J. Landman Gay wrote:

>
> I restarted WinXP, copied some text in Notepad, closed Notepad,
> reopened Notepad, and pasted. It worked. Then I relaunched Revolution,
> made a new stack with a field, and pasted. And that worked too. So it
> isn't consistent. Today's test seems to show that Rev doesn't
> automatically clear the clipboard.
>
> I wish I could pin down when it fails, because I have a standalone
> with a registration dialog that users paste a serial number into. If
> they copy the serial from an email and launch my app, it only pastes
> sporadically. If the dialog is already open when they flip over to
> email to copy, it pastes every time.
>
_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Clipboard Anomally [BUG]?

J. Landman Gay
Mark MacKenzie wrote:
> I need to be able to do this as well, for a registration stack
> function.  I have awful trouble with the copy and paste function
> (to/from clipboard) not working as it should.  You have described it
> perfectly.

One thing you might have to do is add a pasteKey handler to the dialog
card. In my app, there are not yet any menus loaded when the initial
registration window appears, so there is no automatic editing
capabilities. I don't need copying, but I did need pasting, so I added
this to the card:

on pasteKey
  put the clipboardData["text"] into fld "myRegField"
end pasteKey

Or you might want to use "the selectedfield" if you allow pasting to any
field. If you do need the ability to copy, take a look at "copyKey" in
the docs and write a handler to catch that message too.

Adding the pasteKey handler got it working for me on all platforms,
except that on Windows it works only some of the time.

>
> Regards
>
> Mark MacKenzie
>
> J. Landman Gay wrote:
>>
>> I restarted WinXP, copied some text in Notepad, closed Notepad,
>> reopened Notepad, and pasted. It worked. Then I relaunched Revolution,
>> made a new stack with a field, and pasted. And that worked too. So it
>> isn't consistent. Today's test seems to show that Rev doesn't
>> automatically clear the clipboard.
>>
>> I wish I could pin down when it fails, because I have a standalone
>> with a registration dialog that users paste a serial number into. If
>> they copy the serial from an email and launch my app, it only pastes
>> sporadically. If the dialog is already open when they flip over to
>> email to copy, it pastes every time.
>>
> _______________________________________________
> use-revolution mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your
> subscription preferences:
> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
>


--
Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     [hidden email]
HyperActive Software           |     http://www.hyperactivesw.com
_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Clipboard Anomally [BUG]?

Martin Baxter-4
In reply to this post by J. Landman Gay
J. Landman Gay wrote:

> Chipp Walters wrote:
>
>> Actually, I find copy/paste clipboard issues always occur when launching
>> Rev. Rev seems to always start with a clear clipboard on XP. I don't have
>> the same problem with copy/paste text in other apps.
>
> I restarted WinXP, copied some text in Notepad, closed Notepad, reopened
> Notepad, and pasted. It worked. Then I relaunched Revolution, made a new
> stack with a field, and pasted. And that worked too. So it isn't
> consistent. Today's test seems to show that Rev doesn't automatically
> clear the clipboard.
>
> I wish I could pin down when it fails, because I have a standalone with
> a registration dialog that users paste a serial number into. If they
> copy the serial from an email and launch my app, it only pastes
> sporadically. If the dialog is already open when they flip over to email
> to copy, it pastes every time.
>

I dunno either, but some time ago when I was experimenting with a linux
version of my app, I found that keyboard shortcuts for menu items in
general failed on that platform, so I included a commandkey handler in
the card script, and that worked reliably. Just thought I'd mention it.

Martin Baxter
_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Clipboard Anomally [BUG]?

Kay C Lan
OK folks, sorry for disappearing for a while but I had to pop out and earn
some money to feed the family:-)

I do have to say though that I'm a little disappointed, especially when I
see comments like:

I wish I could pin down when it fails,
>

when I believe I have created a recipe that does just that - although
granted if you're on Win and I've only done a Mac recipe I can understand.

Also, comments like:

Can you paste via the menu?, and
>

then you can switch to another program (other than BBedit or
> TeachText) and see if you can paste it there. If you cannot, then perhaps
> there's a problem with Automator. If you can paste it there, and it never
> shows in Rev, you have an engine bug.
>

I thought I made it very clear at the beginning with:

but if you select any other application that
> handles text and select 'Paste' or the keyboard shortcut, the contents
> of your file will be pasted. Going back to Rev and using either the
> keyboard or the menu will NOT paste anything into field "Text".


[or a blank script, or the msg box]

But just to clarify, other than BBEdit and TextEdit, I can paste the
clipboard using the menu or the keyboard shortcut, into: NeoOffice -
Wordprocessing, Spreadsheet cell & text box in a Drawing; Stickies; the
search field in Google using Safari or FireFox; Mail; the search field in
Preview and Acrobat; the Spotlight field in Finder; AppleScript's Script
Editor; Terminal; the text entry field of the Dictionary Dashboard Widget;
the typing test field of the Keyboard tab of the Keyboard and Mouse
Preference Pane. I could test others....

All I wanted was someone, just one other person, to repeat what I've done,
to either confirm what I'm experiencing (a bug) or determine that they don't
experience it (then it's my set-up). If it is confirmed then I believe it
will help solve the sporadic copy/paste anomalies that have been expressed
here, and rather than talk about hacks and work-arounds, we can hopefully
get Rev to copy/paste like it should.

So someone, please, with sugar on top:-)
_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: Clipboard Anomally [BUG]?

MisterX
Kay,

cut this into pieces...

If you can paste from any app into teachtext, you know your OS is working.
If you can't paste via menu shortcuts, the menus are at fault
If you can't paste via menus, either the menus are not scripted OK (I've
seen it happen) or indeed the clipboard is at fault...

One very simple way to see this:
make a palette stack, with a backscript that has the following:

on resume
  put the clipboard into fld "clips" of stack "clipboardwatcher"
  put the clibpoarddata["text"] into fld "text" of stack "clipboardwatcher"
  pass resume
end resume

as soon as you "resume" rev, your palette will show the clipboard content.

The same process can be made for the menu shortcut, and the
cutkey/copykey/pastekey messages...

Make a frontscript:

on controlkeydown k (or commandkeydown)
  put k into fld x of stack "mypalette"
  pass controlkeydown
end controlkeydown

on pastekey
  put "pasting detected" into fld x of stack "keyboardwatcher"
  pass pastekey
end pastekey

etc...

That should help you I think... There's sure a "clipboard" window app
somewhere like on MacOS 1.0 that shows you the OS's clipboard content too...
(there was a great Desk Accessory named "Alchemist" too which did what im
saying above plus lots more.

I was working on that but apparently, I can't change the
clipboarddata["html"] as advertised.

We're all in the same boat! ;)

cheers
Xavier



> -----Original Message-----
> From: [hidden email]
> [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of
> Kay C Lan
> Sent: Monday, 13 November, 2006 16:08
> To: How to use Revolution
> Subject: Re: Clipboard Anomally [BUG]?
>
> OK folks, sorry for disappearing for a while but I had to pop
> out and earn some money to feed the family:-)
>
> I do have to say though that I'm a little disappointed,
> especially when I see comments like:
>
> I wish I could pin down when it fails,
> >
>
> when I believe I have created a recipe that does just that -
> although granted if you're on Win and I've only done a Mac
> recipe I can understand.
>
> Also, comments like:
>
> Can you paste via the menu?, and
> >
>
> then you can switch to another program (other than BBedit or
> > TeachText) and see if you can paste it there. If you cannot, then
> > perhaps there's a problem with Automator. If you can paste
> it there,
> > and it never shows in Rev, you have an engine bug.
> >
>
> I thought I made it very clear at the beginning with:
>
> but if you select any other application that
> > handles text and select 'Paste' or the keyboard shortcut,
> the contents
> > of your file will be pasted. Going back to Rev and using either the
> > keyboard or the menu will NOT paste anything into field "Text".
>
>
> [or a blank script, or the msg box]
>
> But just to clarify, other than BBEdit and TextEdit, I can
> paste the clipboard using the menu or the keyboard shortcut,
> into: NeoOffice - Wordprocessing, Spreadsheet cell & text box
> in a Drawing; Stickies; the search field in Google using
> Safari or FireFox; Mail; the search field in Preview and
> Acrobat; the Spotlight field in Finder; AppleScript's Script
> Editor; Terminal; the text entry field of the Dictionary
> Dashboard Widget; the typing test field of the Keyboard tab
> of the Keyboard and Mouse Preference Pane. I could test others....
>
> All I wanted was someone, just one other person, to repeat
> what I've done, to either confirm what I'm experiencing (a
> bug) or determine that they don't experience it (then it's my
> set-up). If it is confirmed then I believe it will help solve
> the sporadic copy/paste anomalies that have been expressed
> here, and rather than talk about hacks and work-arounds, we
> can hopefully get Rev to copy/paste like it should.
>
> So someone, please, with sugar on top:-)
> _______________________________________________
> use-revolution mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage
> your subscription preferences:
> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution

_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Clipboard Anomally [BUG]?

Ken Ray
In reply to this post by Kay C Lan
On 11/13/06 9:08 AM, "Kay C Lan" <[hidden email]> wrote:


> All I wanted was someone, just one other person, to repeat what I've done,
> to either confirm what I'm experiencing (a bug) or determine that they don't
> experience it (then it's my set-up). If it is confirmed then I believe it
> will help solve the sporadic copy/paste anomalies that have been expressed
> here, and rather than talk about hacks and work-arounds, we can hopefully
> get Rev to copy/paste like it should.
>
> So someone, please, with sugar on top:-)

Confirmed, Kay, on OS 10.4.7 with Rev 2.7.4 (I also tested going back to
MetaCard 2.6.6, and it's the same thing, so it's systemic to the MC/Rev
engine).

I also noted that it didn't matter if Rev was already open or not. That is,
I had thought that perhaps Rev would "initialize the scrap" when it opened
and recognize any text that was there, so I quit Rev and relaunched and then
tried to paste or examine the clipboard and it was still empty (even though
I could switch to other apps and paste the text on the clipboard with
freedom).

One oddity I noticed was that if I switched back to the open TextEdit
document, highlighted the text and copied it *again*, then switched back to
Rev, it would recognize it.

I even tried a workaround with AppleScript to get the data on the clipboard
and still no dice.

Bug confirmed!

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software, Inc.
Web site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/
Email: [hidden email]

_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Clipboard Anomally [BUG]?

Ken Ray
In reply to this post by MisterX
On 11/13/06 10:49 AM, "MisterX" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Kay,
>
> cut this into pieces...
>
> If you can paste from any app into teachtext, you know your OS is working.
> If you can't paste via menu shortcuts, the menus are at fault
> If you can't paste via menus, either the menus are not scripted OK (I've
> seen it happen) or indeed the clipboard is at fault...
>
> One very simple way to see this:
> make a palette stack, with a backscript that has the following:
>
> on resume
>   put the clipboard into fld "clips" of stack "clipboardwatcher"
>   put the clibpoarddata["text"] into fld "text" of stack "clipboardwatcher"
>   pass resume
> end resume
>
> as soon as you "resume" rev, your palette will show the clipboard content.

Actually that's the problem, Xavier... when you resume Rev, the clipboard
registers as being empty, even though it actually has something in it (you
can tell because you can switch to any other app and paste).

IMHO, it's a confirmed bug (at least on OS X).

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software, Inc.
Web site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/
Email: [hidden email]


_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
12