Clipboard Anomally [BUG]?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
31 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Clipboard Anomally [BUG]?

William Marriott
Bug #(s)?

I also notice on Windows, whenever I paste something from Rev, that Rev
"blinks" in the background. That's just plain weird! :)

Ken Ray wrote:

[...]
> Actually that's the problem, Xavier... when you resume Rev, the clipboard
> registers as being empty, even though it actually has something in it (you
> can tell because you can switch to any other app and paste).
>
> IMHO, it's a confirmed bug (at least on OS X).



_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Clipboard Anomally [BUG]?

Ken Ray
On 11/13/06 11:06 AM, "Bill Marriott" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Bug #(s)?

Well, a related bug is #3877 that identifies that Rev doesn't recognize a
change in the clipboard when made by an outside agent, but I think the one
that is spot on is #2602 filed by Rodney Tamblyn, but this has been resolved
as "CANT_REPRODUCE". I think RunRev needs to reopen it and let Kay add the
example that was posted.

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software, Inc.
Web site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/
Email: [hidden email]

_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: Clipboard Anomally [BUG]?

MisterX
In reply to this post by William Marriott
that I haven't seen... yet...



> -----Original Message-----
> From: [hidden email]
> [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of
> Bill Marriott
> Sent: Monday, 13 November, 2006 18:07
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: Clipboard Anomally [BUG]?
>
> Bug #(s)?
>
> I also notice on Windows, whenever I paste something from
> Rev, that Rev "blinks" in the background. That's just plain weird! :)
>
> Ken Ray wrote:
>
> [...]
> > Actually that's the problem, Xavier... when you resume Rev, the
> > clipboard registers as being empty, even though it actually has
> > something in it (you can tell because you can switch to any
> other app and paste).
> >
> > IMHO, it's a confirmed bug (at least on OS X).
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> use-revolution mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage
> your subscription preferences:
> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution

_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: Clipboard Anomally [BUG]?

MisterX
In reply to this post by Ken Ray
AFAIK, it works normally on PCs (usually ;)

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [hidden email]
> [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Ken Ray
> Sent: Monday, 13 November, 2006 18:01
> To: Use Revolution List
> Subject: Re: Clipboard Anomally [BUG]?
>
> On 11/13/06 10:49 AM, "MisterX" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Kay,
> >
> > cut this into pieces...
> >
> > If you can paste from any app into teachtext, you know your
> OS is working.
> > If you can't paste via menu shortcuts, the menus are at
> fault If you
> > can't paste via menus, either the menus are not scripted OK
> (I've seen
> > it happen) or indeed the clipboard is at fault...
> >
> > One very simple way to see this:
> > make a palette stack, with a backscript that has the following:
> >
> > on resume
> >   put the clipboard into fld "clips" of stack "clipboardwatcher"
> >   put the clibpoarddata["text"] into fld "text" of stack
> "clipboardwatcher"
> >   pass resume
> > end resume
> >
> > as soon as you "resume" rev, your palette will show the
> clipboard content.
>
> Actually that's the problem, Xavier... when you resume Rev,
> the clipboard registers as being empty, even though it
> actually has something in it (you can tell because you can
> switch to any other app and paste).
>
> IMHO, it's a confirmed bug (at least on OS X).
>
> Ken Ray
> Sons of Thunder Software, Inc.
> Web site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/
> Email: [hidden email]
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> use-revolution mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage
> your subscription preferences:
> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution

_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Clipboard Anomally [BUG]?

Jim Ault
In reply to this post by Ken Ray
On 11/13/06 9:29 AM, "Ken Ray" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 11/13/06 11:06 AM, "Bill Marriott" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Bug #(s)?
>
> Well, a related bug is #3877 that identifies that Rev doesn't recognize a
> change in the clipboard when made by an outside agent, but I think the one
> that is spot on is #2602 filed by Rodney Tamblyn, but this has been resolved
> as "CANT_REPRODUCE". I think RunRev needs to reopen it and let Kay add the
> example that was posted.
I think the underlying problem is not that tech support
CANT_REPRODUCE the receipe

but rather it is
CONSISTENTLY INCONSISTENT to the user.

I have spent many hours over the last 2 years building work-arounds.

Jim Ault
Las Vegas


_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Clipboard Anomally [BUG]?

Ken Ray
On 11/13/06 11:44 AM, "Jim Ault" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 11/13/06 9:29 AM, "Ken Ray" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 11/13/06 11:06 AM, "Bill Marriott" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Bug #(s)?
>>
>> Well, a related bug is #3877 that identifies that Rev doesn't recognize a
>> change in the clipboard when made by an outside agent, but I think the one
>> that is spot on is #2602 filed by Rodney Tamblyn, but this has been resolved
>> as "CANT_REPRODUCE". I think RunRev needs to reopen it and let Kay add the
>> example that was posted.
> I think the underlying problem is not that tech support
> CANT_REPRODUCE the receipe
>
> but rather it is
> CONSISTENTLY INCONSISTENT to the user.

Well, I think that's why Kay made the post... if everyone who follows Kay's
instructions on OS X gets the same result, it is a consistently
reproduceable bug.

> I have spent many hours over the last 2 years building work-arounds.

Hopefully this can be fixed so no more workaround are needed...

:-)

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software, Inc.
Web site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/
Email: [hidden email]


_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Clipboard Anomally [BUG]?

William Marriott
Ok, this thread is an excellent example of something that needs to be in the
bug database, not the use-rev list.

Ken, will you add the comment(s) to the necessary bugs so it can be
re-opened?

Thanks,

Bill

"Ken Ray" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:C17E0DAC.4B85C%[hidden email]...

> On 11/13/06 11:44 AM, "Jim Ault"
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 11/13/06 9:29 AM, "Ken Ray"
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> On 11/13/06 11:06 AM, "Bill Marriott" <[hidden email]>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>>> Bug #(s)?
>>>
>>> Well, a related bug is #3877 that identifies that Rev doesn't recognize
>>> a
>>> change in the clipboard when made by an outside agent, but I think the
>>> one
>>> that is spot on is #2602 filed by Rodney Tamblyn, but this has been
>>> resolved
>>> as "CANT_REPRODUCE". I think RunRev needs to reopen it and let Kay add
>>> the
>>> example that was posted.
>> I think the underlying problem is not that tech support
>> CANT_REPRODUCE the receipe
>>
>> but rather it is
>> CONSISTENTLY INCONSISTENT to the user.
>
> Well, I think that's why Kay made the post... if everyone who follows
> Kay's
> instructions on OS X gets the same result, it is a consistently
> reproduceable bug.
>
>> I have spent many hours over the last 2 years building work-arounds.
>
> Hopefully this can be fixed so no more workaround are needed...
>
> :-)
>
> Ken Ray
> Sons of Thunder Software, Inc.
> Web site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/
> Email: [hidden email]
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> use-revolution mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your
> subscription preferences:
> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
>



_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Clipboard Anomally [BUG]?

Kay C Lan
In reply to this post by Ken Ray
On 11/13/06 11:44 AM, "Jim Ault" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> > I think the underlying problem is not that tech support
> > CANT_REPRODUCE the receipe
> >
> > but rather it is
> > CONSISTENTLY INCONSISTENT to the user.


On 11/14/06, Ken Ray <[hidden email]> responded:

Well, I think that's why Kay made the post... if everyone who follows Kay's
> instructions on OS X gets the same result, it is a consistently
> reproduceable bug.
>
> > I have spent many hours over the last 2 years building work-arounds.
>
> Hopefully this can be fixed so no more workaround are needed...


YES, precisely! Thank you so much Ken.

I'll look into Bugs #3877, #2602 and anything else that looks remotely like
an 'inconsistent clipboard anomaly' and add my recipe there. Might be a
little slow as I have to head off to my son's athletics carnival now.

Ken, thanks also for the extra detective work with the older versions of
MetaCard/Rev and the bit about Quitting and Restarting MC/Rev. I'll be sure
to include these details, acknowledged to you, in my Bugzilla entry.

Ken, I'll email you the 'sugar on top' off-list;-)

PS I was really starting to wonder there about my command of the English
language, fortunately bribery works every time:-)
_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Clipboard Anomally [BUG]?

Ken Ray
In reply to this post by William Marriott
On 11/13/06 5:54 PM, "Bill Marriott" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ok, this thread is an excellent example of something that needs to be in the
> bug database, not the use-rev list.
>
> Ken, will you add the comment(s) to the necessary bugs so it can be
> re-opened?

Done!

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software, Inc.
Web site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/
Email: [hidden email]

_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Clipboard Anomally [BUG]?

Ken Ray
In reply to this post by Kay C Lan
On 11/13/06 6:08 PM, "Kay C Lan" <[hidden email]> wrote:

 YES, precisely! Thank you so much Ken.
>
> I'll look into Bugs #3877, #2602 and anything else that looks remotely like
> an 'inconsistent clipboard anomaly' and add my recipe there.
>
> Ken, thanks also for the extra detective work with the older versions of
> MetaCard/Rev and the bit about Quitting and Restarting MC/Rev. I'll be sure
> to include these details, acknowledged to you, in my Bugzilla entry.


Thanks, Kay, but don't bother submitting an entry... I added your recipe and
my results to 2602 on Bill Marriott's suggestion.

However as I was adding it, I thought of something: suppose the act of
putting the text of the file via Automator sets it to be a special *type* of
clipboarddata that Rev doesn't understand? If so, it would then make sense
that it couldn't be pasted, and also why 'the clipboard' was 'empty'
(although I would suggest (if this is actually true) that this be changed to
'unknown'). The reason I mention is is that if I manually copy the text from
TextEdit and switch to Rev, it is in the clipboard.

Anyway, something for RunRev to ponder...

> Ken, I'll email you the 'sugar on top' off-list;-)
>
> PS I was really starting to wonder there about my command of the English
> language, fortunately bribery works every time:-)

:-D


Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software, Inc.
Web site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/
Email: [hidden email]

_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Clipboard Anomally [BUG]?

Kay C Lan
On 11/14/06, Ken Ray <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>
> Thanks, Kay, but don't bother submitting an entry... I added your recipe
> and
> my results to 2602 on Bill Marriott's suggestion.


Thanks again, I've gone and given it 5 votes:-)

However as I was adding it, I thought of something: suppose the act of
> putting the text of the file via Automator sets it to be a special *type*
> of
> clipboarddata that Rev doesn't understand?


Yes, that does seem to be a logical explanation, and also one of the reasons
why I tried it with BBEdit as well with the extra step of converting the
Text to ASCII, just to make sure it was nothing but ASCII. Even if this is
the cause, as you infer, it suggest that Rev's filter is set a little too
tight, and by resolving this I'm hoping well experience a little more
consistency in copy/paste between other apps and Rev.

I'll be keeping an eye on 2602 ;-)
_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
12