Code Security When Using LiveCode Server

Code Security When Using LiveCode Server

Gregory Lypny
Hello everyone,

In developing a site using LiveCode server, I’d be interested in your thoughts on keeping prying eyes away from LiveCode scripts.  I imagine that keeping the scripts in files and stacks, as opposed to embedded in web pages, is the best thing.

Gregory

Re: Code Security When Using LiveCode Server

J. Landman Gay
On 4/21/12 1:02 PM, Gregory Lypny wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> In developing a site using LiveCode server, I’d be interested in your
> thoughts on keeping prying eyes away from LiveCode scripts.  I
> imagine that keeping the scripts in files and stacks, as opposed to
> embedded in web pages, is the best thing.

Visitors to your site can't see the scripts. They execute on the server
and provide output, but the scripts themselves aren't in the web page
that the user receives. The only way to see the scripts is to have
access to the server files.

Gregory Lypny wrote:

 > In developing a site using LiveCode server, I’d be interested in your
 > thoughts on keeping prying eyes away from LiveCode scripts.  I
 > imagine that keeping the scripts in files and stacks, as opposed to
 > embedded in web pages, is the best thing.

Why not?

Jacque's right about the difference between the raw page and what the
user gets, but personally I find embedding tons of LiveCode into my HTML
distracting; I prefer to put simple function call in HTML and let
libraries handle the rest.

  Fourth World

Re: Code Security When Using LiveCode Server

Mike Bonner
Plus you can put any included library files or stacks outside the webserver
document root so they can only be hit indirectly.

Be  careful if you use a library stack made with 5.5 and save it in the
legacy format. I don't believe the current lc server can load up 5.5
stacks.
On Sat, Apr 21, 2012 at 12:19 PM, Richard Gaskin <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> Gregory Lypny wrote:
>
> > In developing a site using LiveCode server, I’d be interested in your
> > thoughts on keeping prying eyes away from LiveCode scripts.  I
> > imagine that keeping the scripts in files and stacks, as opposed to
> > embedded in web pages, is the best thing.
>
> Why not?
>
> Jacque's right about the difference between the raw page and what the user
> gets, but personally I find embedding tons of LiveCode into my HTML
> distracting; I prefer to put simple function call in HTML and let libraries
> handle the rest.
>
> --
>  Richard Gaskin
>  Fourth World
>  LiveCode training and consulting: http://www.fourthworld.com
>  Webzine for LiveCode developers: http://www.LiveCodeJournal.com
>  LiveCode Journal blog: http://LiveCodejournal.com/**blog.irv<http://LiveCodejournal.com/blog.irv>

Re: Code Security When Using LiveCode Server

Pierre Sahores-2
Conformed : LC server can handle stack's libs saved under up to the 5.0.2 version of LC

Le 21 avr. 2012 à 20:24, Mike Bonner a écrit :

> Plus you can put any included library files or stacks outside the webserver
> document root so they can only be hit indirectly.
>
> Be  careful if you use a library stack made with 5.5 and save it in the
> legacy format. I don't believe the current lc server can load up 5.5
> stacks.
> On Sat, Apr 21, 2012 at 12:19 PM, Richard Gaskin <[hidden email]
>> wrote:
>
>> Gregory Lypny wrote:
>>
>>> In developing a site using LiveCode server, I’d be interested in your
>>> thoughts on keeping prying eyes away from LiveCode scripts.  I
>>> imagine that keeping the scripts in files and stacks, as opposed to
>>> embedded in web pages, is the best thing.
>>
>> Why not?
>>
>> Jacque's right about the difference between the raw page and what the user
>> gets, but personally I find embedding tons of LiveCode into my HTML
>> distracting; I prefer to put simple function call in HTML and let libraries
>> handle the rest.
>>
>> --
>> Richard Gaskin
>> Fourth World
>> LiveCode training and consulting: http://www.fourthworld.com
>> Webzine for LiveCode developers: http://www.LiveCodeJournal.com
>> LiveCode Journal blog: http://LiveCodejournal.com/**blog.irv<http://LiveCodejournal.com/blog.irv>

Pierre Sahores
mobile : 06 03 95 77 70
www.sahores-conseil.com

Re: Code Security When Using LiveCode Server

Phil Davis-5
On 4/21/12 11:19 AM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> Gregory Lypny wrote:
>
> > In developing a site using LiveCode server, I’d be interested in your
> > thoughts on keeping prying eyes away from LiveCode scripts.  I
> > imagine that keeping the scripts in files and stacks, as opposed to
> > embedded in web pages, is the best thing.
>
> Why not?
>
> Jacque's right about the difference between the raw page and what the user
> gets, but personally I find embedding tons of LiveCode into my HTML
> distracting; I prefer to put simple function call in HTML and let libraries
> handle the rest.

Amen to this. Being a long-time desktop app builder, I find it an order of
magnitude easier to work with stacks in the IDE than to work on code
intermingled with HTML. In one big web app I stash all my lib stacks in a folder
on the server machine that is outside the web server's reach, but still
accessible as lib stacks via the server's file system. The app's web pages
contain only enough LC to start using the libs and they do almost everything.
I'm pretty confident no one will ever get them unless I have a serious non-web
kind of security breach.

Phil Davis

> --
>  Richard Gaskin
>  Fourth World
>  LiveCode training and consulting: http://www.fourthworld.com
>  Webzine for LiveCode developers: http://www.LiveCodeJournal.com
>  LiveCode Journal blog: http://LiveCodejournal.com/blog.irv

Phil Davis

PDS Labs
Professional Software Development
http://pdslabs.net

Animation

J. Downs
Hey, all.

I'd like to experiment with LC for some video game development.  Sprite animation with collision detection, vertical and horizontal landscape scrolling, etc.  Can LC keep up the pace when the number of on-screen objects gets to a dozen or more?  Need special add-ons like the Animation Engine, or can it all be done natively?  Any exceptional online tutorials, etc. you would recommend?

All help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
J.

Re: Animation

Malte Brill
Hi J,

I'd say it really depends on the targeted platform. The weaker the hardware, the more hoops you need to jump through. Regarding animationEngine: As the developer of said add on it comes naturally for me to think it is helpful, however, it is written completely in liveCode. No rocket sience in it, just making life a little easier I guess. If you have the time to read a lot of tutorials and books there is nothing in it an experienced livecode developer couldn't write themselves with a few months / years of time. :-)

All the best,

Malte

Re: Animation

J. Downs
Thanks, Malte.  I've downloaded the AnimationEngine trial and will take a look this afternoon.  :)

At this time, I am just playing around, so I will be developing on Mac OS X for deployment on same.  If I get really crazy, I might see how my ideas run on my BootCamp Windows install.  Not looking at any mobile deployments for now.

I did lots of arcade-style development back in the day—and by that, I mean almost 30 years ago using Player-Missile Graphics in both BASIC and machine language on my Atari 800XL.  (Wow, I'm old.)  I also did my share of heavy-lifting with HyperCard in the late '90s, so I'm extremely comfortable with the LC core concepts.

Just bridging the gap by trying a few fun idea.  I'd like to try a side-scroller with parallax and some other challenges.

Thanks in advance to any other ideas you all might have.

J.

On Apr 22, 2012, at 10:20 AM, Malte Brill wrote:

> Hi J,
>
> I'd say it really depends on the targeted platform. The weaker the hardware, the more hoops you need to jump through. Regarding animationEngine: As the developer of said add on it comes naturally for me to think it is helpful, however, it is written completely in liveCode. No rocket sience in it, just making life a little easier I guess. If you have the time to read a lot of tutorials and books there is nothing in it an experienced livecode developer couldn't write themselves with a few months / years of time. :-)
>
> All the best,
>
> Malte

Re: Animation

Malte Brill
Hi J,

I joined the Atari camp with the ST. Had an Amstrad CPC before that. And a Sinclair zx Spectrum. So I guess I can be counted into the I am old camp too :-D
I once did a Parallax scroller in liveCode (when it was still rev). Might be fun to dig that one up and try with the accelerated rendering stuff. Will dig through my archives tomorrow to see if I still can find it.

Cheers,

Malte

Re: Animation

jim hurley
Hi J,

LC can handle the game of 9 ball pool fairly well, and that is fairly computationally intensive--handling the collisions between multiple moving balls.

   You can find it at http://jamesphurley.com/Revolution.html

To download a stack from that web site, get the link and run this in the msg box

go url "[the link]"

There are a number of other simulations, in particular "Bouncing ball tools" at that web site  that deal with the complexities of collisions with walls in a convex polygon.

See also "Programmable Graphics"  in RevOnLine. There are 21 cards there demonstrating a variety of  animation problems.

Jim

> Message: 18
> Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2012 09:39:21 -0500
> From: "J. Downs" <[hidden email]>
> To: How to use LiveCode <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Animation
>
> Hey, all.
>
> I'd like to experiment with LC for some video game development.  Sprite animation with collision detection, vertical and horizontal landscape scrolling, etc.  Can LC keep up the pace when the number of on-screen objects gets to a dozen or more?  Need special add-ons like the Animation Engine, or can it all be done natively?  Any exceptional online tutorials, etc. you would recommend?
>
> All help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> J.

Re: Code Security When Using LiveCode Server

Gregory Lypny
Hello Jacqueline, Richard, Mike, Pierre, and Phil,

Thank you for your helpful thoughts on web code security.  I think I’ll prototype with a combination of stacks for sensitive things (I’ll do some homework on where to place the stacks and how to refer to them) and embedded lines for innocuous things.

Gregory Lypny

Associate Professor of Finance
John Molson School of Business
Concordia University

Re: Animation

J. Downs
Thanks, Jim!  I will take a peek.

J.

On Apr 22, 2012, at 3:38 PM, Jim Hurley wrote:

> Hi J,
>
> LC can handle the game of 9 ball pool fairly well, and that is fairly computationally intensive--handling the collisions between multiple moving balls.
>
>   You can find it at http://jamesphurley.com/Revolution.html
>
> To download a stack from that web site, get the link and run this in the msg box
>
> go url "[the link]"
>
> There are a number of other simulations, in particular "Bouncing ball tools" at that web site  that deal with the complexities of collisions with walls in a convex polygon.
>
> See also "Programmable Graphics"  in RevOnLine. There are 21 cards there demonstrating a variety of  animation problems.
>
> Jim
>

>> Message: 18
>> Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2012 09:39:21 -0500
>> From: "J. Downs" <[hidden email]>
>> To: How to use LiveCode <[hidden email]>
>> Subject: Animation
>>
>> Hey, all.
>>
>> I'd like to experiment with LC for some video game development.  Sprite animation with collision detection, vertical and horizontal landscape scrolling, etc.  Can LC keep up the pace when the number of on-screen objects gets to a dozen or more?  Need special add-ons like the Animation Engine, or can it all be done natively?  Any exceptional online tutorials, etc. you would recommend?
>>
>> All help would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> J.

Re: Animation

barryb@libero.it
Dear J.Downs

Derek Bump  posted "Building a Side-Scrolling Game in Revolution" in this list on September 10th 2009 you can find the whole message at the list archives,
http://lists.runrev.com/pipermail/use-livecode/2009-September/128220.html
and then download the stack from his site from the link given there.

Wait, hold on! His site states that it is Closed Down due to change of activity. Thats a pity, we will all miss the stacks he often offered for our delight and the help he gave to many. Best wishes Derek in your new venture.

 J, if you would like the stack, please write me offline and I will send
you a copy. My grandsons love it despite the hours they spend on Nintendo!
Barry

Re: Animation

BNig
Dereks game can be found on
rev-online
http://revonline2.runrev.com/stack/359/Side-Scrolling-Game-Test

If rev-online works for you from within LiveCode then you can also access it from "user samples"
or menu "Development" -> Rev Online

Kind regards

Bernd