Coming back to MC

Brian Wis
Hello anyone who is out there, my name is Brian and I am a music teacher from Illinois. In about 1993 I began a project with Hypercard to help young students read music notation. It worked pretty well, but eventually I moved on to teach high school and then college, and I didn't have much need for the stack. I did port the project to MetaCard before I stopped working on it...gosh that must have been 10 years ago I bet.

Anyway, I started thinking about bringing the stack up to date and started researching the whereabouts of MC, and I found this group. I see that IDE 4.1 is available (I have downloaded it), but I'm not quite sure how to proceed as far as getting this together with LiveCode 5.0. Is MC compatible with 5.0, and if so can I just follow the pdf installation instructions that exist for version LIveCode 4.5?

Many thanks for any advice.

Brian

Re: Coming back to MC

Ken Ray

On Nov 23, 2011, at 3:27 PM, Brian Wis wrote:

Anyway, I started thinking about bringing the stack up to date and started researching the whereabouts of MC, and I found this group. I see that IDE 4.1 is available (I have downloaded it), but I'm not quite sure how to proceed as far as getting this together with LiveCode 5.0. Is MC compatible with 5.0, and if so can I just follow the pdf installation instructions that exist for version LIveCode 4.5?

Yes, that should work… if it doesn't, post to the list again and we'll figure it out.

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software, Inc.
Email: kray@...
Web Site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/

On Nov 23, 2011, at 9:23 PM, Brian Wis wrote:

Well it generally seems OK, with one issue thus far: The ask dialog does not work correctly. Essentially it comes up blank, and it does not utilize the user input as it should either. Have I missed something in the installation process?

My suggestion would be start over, and use Jacque's "MetaCard Setup" plugin for LiveCode to create your MC installation. You can find it in the "Files" area of the Yahoo group - make sure you download "metacard_setup201.rev.zip".  After you install her plugin, you can launch LiveCode and select "Metacard Setup" from the Plugins menu in the LC IDE. A few button clicks and you'll have a fully working verson of MetaCard with the latest IDE.

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software, Inc.
Email: kray@...
Web Site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/

Re: Coming back to MC

Alejandro Tejada
Hi All,

Ken Ray wrote
My suggestion would be start over, and use Jacque's "MetaCard Setup" plugin for LiveCode to create your MC installation. You can find it in the "Files" area of the Yahoo group - make sure you download "metacard_setup201.rev.zip".  After you install her plugin, you can launch LiveCode and select "Metacard Setup" from the Plugins menu in the LC IDE. A few button clicks and you'll have a fully working verson of MetaCard with the latest IDE.
This is the new direction of the MC IDE group in Yahoo:

I am glad to found this group among the Technology category,
because some years ago, this MC IDE group appear within a different
category, maybe economy or philosophy. I still wonder how
that happen.

Mr. Wis, in this mail list there are many profesionals who work
with music and audio. Strangely enough, audio is precisely
one of the few areas that have been relatively unchanged since
MetaCard days.

I should have in one of my backup disk, the sounds of a piano
that I recorded for a similar purpose as yours. If you think that
these sounds could be useful for your project, I could post them
in some File repository for your use.

Have a nice weekend!

Al