[Completely OT] Withdrawal symptoms from Slashdot

[Completely OT] Withdrawal symptoms from Slashdot

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
Completely off topic, but I need help ;-)

For many years now my standard "I have 30 seconds (or minutes) to fill
in, what's happening in the world" web site has been slashdot, but it
seems to be completely off the air for now.

I'm looking for suggestions for alternates that are worth using while
waiting for a build, or just to give me some interesting. The less
video, the better :-)

Thanks

Alex.

Re: [Completely OT] Withdrawal symptoms from Slashdot

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
Hi Alex,

Try..

https://news360.com <https://news360.com/>

You can choose a technical focus too.

Enjoy!

Rick

> On Mar 3, 2018, at 7:09 PM, Alex Tweedly via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Completely off topic, but I need help ;-)
>
> For many years now my standard "I have 30 seconds (or minutes) to fill in, what's happening in the world" web site has been slashdot, but it seems to be completely off the air for now.
>
> I'm looking for suggestions for alternates that are worth using while waiting for a build, or just to give me some interesting. The less video, the better :-)
>
> Thanks
>
> Alex.

Re: [Completely OT] Withdrawal symptoms from Slashdot

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
Slashdot is definitely still there. Make sure you are going to
https://slashdot.org . I suppose they may have been having a problem the
last time you tried the site, but it is definitely up and running right
now.

> Alex Tweedly via use-livecode <mailto:[hidden email]>
> March 3, 2018 at 7:09 PM
> Completely off topic, but I need help ;-)
>
> For many years now my standard "I have 30 seconds (or minutes) to fill
> in, what's happening in the world" web site has been slashdot, but it
> seems to be completely off the air for now.
>
> I'm looking for suggestions for alternates that are worth using while
> waiting for a build, or just to give me some interesting. The less
> video, the better :-)
>
> Thanks
>
> Alex.

Re: [Completely OT] Withdrawal symptoms from Slashdot

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
Or this:

https://alternativeto.net/software/slashdot/

Phil Davis

On 3/3/18 6:37 PM, Rick Harrison via use-livecode wrote:

> Hi Alex,
>
> Try..
>
> https://news360.com <https://news360.com/>
>
> You can choose a technical focus too.
>
> Enjoy!
>
> Rick
>
>> On Mar 3, 2018, at 7:09 PM, Alex Tweedly via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Completely off topic, but I need help ;-)
>>
>> For many years now my standard "I have 30 seconds (or minutes) to fill in, what's happening in the world" web site has been slashdot, but it seems to be completely off the air for now.
>>
>> I'm looking for suggestions for alternates that are worth using while waiting for a build, or just to give me some interesting. The less video, the better :-)
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Alex.

Phil Davis

Re: [Completely OT] Withdrawal symptoms from Slashdot

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
Hacker News always has some interesting reading. The comments section for
each submission can be insightful as a broad range of programmers/
engineers that work in the relevant fields share thoughts and knowledge on
the topics at hand

https://news.ycombinator.com/

"*Hacker News* is a social news
<https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_news> website focusing on computer
science <https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_Science> and
entrepreneurship <https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Startup_company>. It is
run by Paul Graham
<https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Graham_%28computer_programmer%29>'s
investment fund and startup incubator, Y Combinator
<https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Y_Combinator_%28company%29>. In general,
content that can be submitted is defined as "anything that gratifies one's
intellectual curiosity"

On 03/03/2018 04:09 PM, Alex Tweedly via use-livecode wrote:
> Completely off topic, but I need help ;-)
>
> For many years now my standard "I have 30 seconds (or minutes) to fill
> in, what's happening in the world" web site has been slashdot, but it
> seems to be completely off the air for now.
>
> I'm looking for suggestions for alternates that are worth using while
> waiting for a build, or just to give me some interesting. The less
> video, the better :-)

/. is back on the air now, but nonetheless...

https://www.mercurynews.com/tag/siliconbeat/
https://whatthefuckjusthappenedtoday.com/
https://www.boingboing.net

On 03/03/2018 08:16 PM, Rodney Somerstein via use-livecode wrote:
> Slashdot is definitely still there. Make sure you are going to
> https://slashdot.org . I suppose they may have been having a problem the
> last time you tried the site, but it is definitely up and running right
> now.

Slashdot was having some hiccups transferring to new servers.
They seem to have recovered nicely now.

Re: [Completely OT] Withdrawal symptoms from Slashdot

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
The mark of a good IT staff. :-)

Bob S