Completely OT - flat earth

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
I just watched the eclipse where I live, while debating flat earth believers online. Some irony there, I suppose.

It reminded me of the time another programmer told me LiveCode was a toy. Years later when asked by management to duplicate the functions of an app I created so that those functionalities could be incorporated into that team's main app, that same programmer concluded it would be impractical because my app did way more than they realized. The app saves that team about 2 hours a day of expensive staff time, which is quite a lot considering they have used it for 10 years.

My point? The Earth is not flat. LC is great, even if some mainstream programmers are so entrenched, they cannot perceive its value.

Sent from my iPhone

Re: Completely OT - flat earth

On 8/21/17 2:53 PM, Jonathan Lynch via use-livecode wrote:
> I just watched the eclipse where I live, while debating flat earth believers online. Some irony there, I suppose.

I watched it too, dropped everything to do it. Amazing. We didn't get
totality here but it was about 80%.

I read recently that the flat-earther movement is growing. That's
amazing too. Some people will believe anything.

> It reminded me of the time another programmer told me LiveCode was a toy. Years later when asked by management to duplicate the functions of an app I created so that those functionalities could be incorporated into that team's main app, that same programmer concluded it would be impractical because my app did way more than they realized.

They said the same thing about HyperCard back in the day, and HC wasn't
nearly as advanced as LC is now. Some people will believe anything...

Re: Completely OT - flat earth

On Mon, August 21, 2017 10:17 pm, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode wrote:

> I read recently that the flat-earther movement is growing.

That's because of global warming : earth is slowly melting and will get 100%
flat by the year 2100...

</joke mode off>

Re: Completely OT - flat earth

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
Have you ever met/heard-of a 'Flat-Earth' pilot? Or geologist? Or
astrophysicist? Or plain physicist? Me neither.

Sean Cole
*Pi Digital Productions Ltd*
www.pidigital.co.uk
+44(1634)402193
+44(7702)116447
'Don't try to think outside the box. Just remember the truth: There is no
box!'
'For then you realise it is not the box you are trying to look outside of,
but it is yourself!'

eMail Ts & Cs <http://pidigital.co.uk/emailTCs.rtf>   Pi Digital
Productions Ltd is a UK registered limited company, no. 5255609

On 21 August 2017 at 21:17, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 8/21/17 2:53 PM, Jonathan Lynch via use-livecode wrote:
>
>> I just watched the eclipse where I live, while debating flat earth
>> believers online. Some irony there, I suppose.
>>

> I watched it too, dropped everything to do it. Amazing. We didn't get
> totality here but it was about 80%.
>
> I read recently that the flat-earther movement is growing. That's amazing
> too. Some people will believe anything.
>

> It reminded me of the time another programmer told me LiveCode was a toy.
>> Years later when asked by management to duplicate the functions of an app I
>> created so that those functionalities could be incorporated into that
>> team's main app, that same programmer concluded it would be impractical
>> because my app did way more than they realized.
>>

> They said the same thing about HyperCard back in the day, and HC wasn't
> nearly as advanced as LC is now. Some people will believe anything...

Re: Completely OT - flat earth

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
Here’s a video I took from my plane seat yesterday:

https://www.facebook.com/colin.holgate.5/videos/10159330358430694/

Unfortunately we crossed the eclipse path sooner than I hoped, and so only got around 75% eclipse.

Re: Completely OT - flat earth

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
Totality in Corvallis, Or, USA. Awesome!
Bill P

William Prothero
http://es.earthednet.org

> On Aug 22, 2017, at 7:09 AM, Colin Holgate via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Here’s a video I took from my plane seat yesterday:
>
> https://www.facebook.com/colin.holgate.5/videos/10159330358430694/
>
> Unfortunately we crossed the eclipse path sooner than I hoped, and so only got around 75% eclipse.

Re: Completely OT - flat earth

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
Here's the problem though. Trying to convince those who have made their living teaching that the earth is flat, would have to admit that all those hard long days and nights and years spent refining their "science" was all for naught, a fools errand, and that indeed their entire life and reputation is now in jeopardy. All the higher education, all the respected colleagues, the money spent that maybe they are still paying back, all for nothing. And you expect them to be honestly engaged in adopting a better way? No, the flat earthers must be flat earthers for all posterity. They are all in. Allegorically speaking.

Bob S

> On Aug 21, 2017, at 12:53 , Jonathan Lynch via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I just watched the eclipse where I live, while debating flat earth believers online. Some irony there, I suppose.
>
> It reminded me of the time another programmer told me LiveCode was a toy. Years later when asked by management to duplicate the functions of an app I created so that those functionalities could be incorporated into that team's main app, that same programmer concluded it would be impractical because my app did way more than they realized. The app saves that team about 2 hours a day of expensive staff time, which is quite a lot considering they have used it for 10 years.
>
> My point? The Earth is not flat. LC is great, even if some mainstream programmers are so entrenched, they cannot perceive its value.
>
> Sent from my iPhone

Re: Completely OT - flat earth

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
They have described me as a "flat earth denier" and a "globetard" - so clearly they have constructed their own vocabulary and subculture. If they change their minds, they lose that feeling of belonging to a special club.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Aug 22, 2017, at 11:06 AM, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Here's the problem though. Trying to convince those who have made their living teaching that the earth is flat, would have to admit that all those hard long days and nights and years spent refining their "science" was all for naught, a fools errand, and that indeed their entire life and reputation is now in jeopardy. All the higher education, all the respected colleagues, the money spent that maybe they are still paying back, all for nothing. And you expect them to be honestly engaged in adopting a better way? No, the flat earthers must be flat earthers for all posterity. They are all in. Allegorically speaking.
>
> Bob S
>

>> On Aug 21, 2017, at 12:53 , Jonathan Lynch via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I just watched the eclipse where I live, while debating flat earth believers online. Some irony there, I suppose.
>>
>> It reminded me of the time another programmer told me LiveCode was a toy. Years later when asked by management to duplicate the functions of an app I created so that those functionalities could be incorporated into that team's main app, that same programmer concluded it would be impractical because my app did way more than they realized. The app saves that team about 2 hours a day of expensive staff time, which is quite a lot considering they have used it for 10 years.
>>
>> My point? The Earth is not flat. LC is great, even if some mainstream programmers are so entrenched, they cannot perceive its value.
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone

Re: Completely OT - flat earth

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
For some reason, I like this guys humor..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvAk9718Jo8&t=201s

On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 9:15 AM, Jonathan Lynch via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> They have described me as a "flat earth denier" and a "globetard" - so
> clearly they have constructed their own vocabulary and subculture. If they
> change their minds, they lose that feeling of belonging to a special club.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> > On Aug 22, 2017, at 11:06 AM, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Here's the problem though. Trying to convince those who have made their
> living teaching that the earth is flat, would have to admit that all those
> hard long days and nights and years spent refining their "science" was all
> for naught, a fools errand, and that indeed their entire life and
> reputation is now in jeopardy. All the higher education, all the respected
> colleagues, the money spent that maybe they are still paying back, all for
> nothing. And you expect them to be honestly engaged in adopting a better
> way? No, the flat earthers must be flat earthers for all posterity. They
> are all in. Allegorically speaking.
> >
> > Bob S
> >

> >> On Aug 21, 2017, at 12:53 , Jonathan Lynch via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> I just watched the eclipse where I live, while debating flat earth
> believers online. Some irony there, I suppose.
> >>
> >> It reminded me of the time another programmer told me LiveCode was a
> toy. Years later when asked by management to duplicate the functions of an
> app I created so that those functionalities could be incorporated into that
> team's main app, that same programmer concluded it would be impractical
> because my app did way more than they realized. The app saves that team
> about 2 hours a day of expensive staff time, which is quite a lot
> considering they have used it for 10 years.
> >>
> >> My point? The Earth is not flat. LC is great, even if some mainstream
> programmers are so entrenched, they cannot perceive its value.
> >>
> >> Sent from my iPhone

Re: Completely OT - flat earth

On 8/22/17 8:34 AM, jbv via use-livecode wrote:
> On Mon, August 21, 2017 10:17 pm, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode wrote:
>>
>> I read recently that the flat-earther movement is growing.
>
> That's because of global warming : earth is slowly melting and will get 100%
> flat by the year 2100...

Okay, I laughed. :)