Connecting LC to Xcode

JJS via use-livecode
I’m trying to get set up to build for iOS. I got an iOS development certificate and a provisioning profile. In my standalone setting under iOS I have selected that profile. But when I try to set up Preferences for mobile support, I locate Xcode app bundle per the instructions (version 11.2.1) and I get an error “The chosen folder is not a valid iOS SDK. Selected Xcode must be an iOS SDK among: 8.2, 9.2, 10.2, 11.2, 12.2” I’ve tried LC version 9.0.5, 9.5.0, 9.5.1

Marty

Re: Connecting LC to Xcode

JJS via use-livecode

LC and Xcode are a wee bit particular which version. Bookmark this page:

https://livecode.com/docs/9-5-0/faq/faq/

Best wishes,

Curry Kenworthy

Custom Software Development
"Better Methods, Better Results"
LiveCode Training and Consulting
http://livecodeconsulting.com/

Re: Connecting LC to Xcode

JJS via use-livecode
Wow, this is fun. Well thanks to Curry I got a version of Xcode that works (10.1) with LC 9.5 and Mojave. I make a simple app with one button and try to launch in the Simulator and I get an error "The simulator seems to be taking a long time to launch..." Sometimes get another error "Unable to start simulation: Time out waiting for device to start."

I try launching the Simulator first, then click the "Test” button in LC and that results in "Unable to start simulation: Failed to install the requested application"

> On Dec 3, 2019, at 6:31 PM, Curry Kenworthy via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> LC and Xcode are a wee bit particular which version. Bookmark this page:
>
> https://livecode.com/docs/9-5-0/faq/faq/
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Curry Kenworthy
>
> Custom Software Development
> "Better Methods, Better Results"
> LiveCode Training and Consulting
> http://livecodeconsulting.com/

Re: Connecting LC to Xcode

JJS via use-livecode
I found that launching the simulator and getting a device running BEFORE testing from LC often helped.  As an aside, since setting up LC 9.6.0(dp1) and xCode 11.1 Ive been unable to get the simulator to load my app. I’m still fiddling to see what how to attack it differently :- )
(If I go back to LC 9.0.5 and xCode 10.1 I can get it to work.)

Scott Morrow

Elementary Software
(Now with 20% less chalk dust!)
web       https://elementarysoftware.com/
email     [hidden email]
booth    1-800-615-0867

> On Dec 3, 2019, at 8:16 PM, Marty Knapp via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Wow, this is fun. Well thanks to Curry I got a version of Xcode that works (10.1) with LC 9.5 and Mojave. I make a simple app with one button and try to launch in the Simulator and I get an error "The simulator seems to be taking a long time to launch..." Sometimes get another error "Unable to start simulation: Time out waiting for device to start."
>
> I try launching the Simulator first, then click the "Test” button in LC and that results in "Unable to start simulation: Failed to install the requested application"
>
>> On Dec 3, 2019, at 6:31 PM, Curry Kenworthy via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> LC and Xcode are a wee bit particular which version. Bookmark this page:
>>
>> https://livecode.com/docs/9-5-0/faq/faq/
>>
>> Best wishes,
>>
>> Curry Kenworthy
>>
>> Custom Software Development
>> "Better Methods, Better Results"
>> LiveCode Training and Consulting
>> http://livecodeconsulting.com/

Re: Connecting LC to Xcode

JJS via use-livecode
Hello all,

I usually follow these steps, and I almost never have problems with the
simulator:

(Note: these instructions are for Xcode11.1, but are applicable to any
Xcode version)

0. Make sure the command line tools that will be used by LiveCode are the
ones of the correct Xcode:
 (Launch Xcode 11.1, go to Xcode's menubar and choose Xcode-> Preferences->
Locations and in the Command Line Tools dropdown choose "Xcode 11.1")

1. Open the Simulator from Xcode11.1 (Launch Xcode, go to Xcode's menubar
and choose
Xcode -> Open Developer Tool -> Simulator

2. Wait until the simulator fully loads, until it shows the device's Home
screen

3. You can change device by clicking on the Simulator's app menubar:

Hardware -> Device -> iOS 13.1 -> <device_name>

4. Again, wait until the new simulator device fully loads, until it shows
the
device's Home screen

5. Now go back to LiveCode, choose the iOS simulator under "Test Target"
and
finally press the Test button (or choose Development -> "Test")

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Panos

On Wed, 4 Dec 2019 at 08:00, scott--- via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I found that launching the simulator and getting a device running BEFORE
> testing from LC often helped.  As an aside, since setting up LC 9.6.0(dp1)
> and xCode 11.1 Ive been unable to get the simulator to load my app. I’m
> still fiddling to see what how to attack it differently :- )
> (If I go back to LC 9.0.5 and xCode 10.1 I can get it to work.)
>
> Scott Morrow
>
> Elementary Software
> (Now with 20% less chalk dust!)
> web       https://elementarysoftware.com/
> email     [hidden email]
> booth    1-800-615-0867
> > On Dec 3, 2019, at 8:16 PM, Marty Knapp via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Wow, this is fun. Well thanks to Curry I got a version of Xcode that
> works (10.1) with LC 9.5 and Mojave. I make a simple app with one button
> and try to launch in the Simulator and I get an error "The simulator seems
> to be taking a long time to launch..." Sometimes get another error "Unable
> to start simulation: Time out waiting for device to start."
> >
> > I try launching the Simulator first, then click the "Test” button in LC
> and that results in "Unable to start simulation: Failed to install the
> requested application"
> >
> >> On Dec 3, 2019, at 6:31 PM, Curry Kenworthy via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >>

> >> LC and Xcode are a wee bit particular which version. Bookmark this page:
> >>
> >> https://livecode.com/docs/9-5-0/faq/faq/
> >>
> >> Best wishes,
> >>
> >> Curry Kenworthy
> >>
> >> Custom Software Development
> >> "Better Methods, Better Results"
> >> LiveCode Training and Consulting
> >> http://livecodeconsulting.com/

Re: Connecting LC to Xcode

JJS via use-livecode
I love the way your steps are numbered 0 - 5. Very techy. :-)

Bob S

> On Dec 3, 2019, at 23:25 , panagiotis merakos via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello all,
>
> I usually follow these steps, and I almost never have problems with the
> simulator:
>
> (Note: these instructions are for Xcode11.1, but are applicable to any
> Xcode version)
>
> 0. Make sure the command line tools that will be used by LiveCode are the
> ones of the correct Xcode:
> (Launch Xcode 11.1, go to Xcode's menubar and choose Xcode-> Preferences->
> Locations and in the Command Line Tools dropdown choose "Xcode 11.1")

Re: Connecting LC to Xcode

JJS via use-livecode
Yes those are the steps I’ve tried, only using Xcode 10.1 (couldn’t get LC to accept 11.2). When I click the “Test” button it starts going through the process of prepping the app then errors out with the message “Unable to start simulation: Failed to install the requested application”

If I change the test target to my actual iPhone it installs it fine, so I guess I’ll just do that.

> On Dec 3, 2019, at 11:25 PM, panagiotis merakos via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello all,
>
> I usually follow these steps, and I almost never have problems with the
> simulator:
>
> (Note: these instructions are for Xcode11.1, but are applicable to any
> Xcode version)
>
> 0. Make sure the command line tools that will be used by LiveCode are the
> ones of the correct Xcode:
> (Launch Xcode 11.1, go to Xcode's menubar and choose Xcode-> Preferences->
> Locations and in the Command Line Tools dropdown choose "Xcode 11.1")
>
> 1. Open the Simulator from Xcode11.1 (Launch Xcode, go to Xcode's menubar
> and choose
> Xcode -> Open Developer Tool -> Simulator
>
> 2. Wait until the simulator fully loads, until it shows the device's Home
> screen
>
> 3. You can change device by clicking on the Simulator's app menubar:
>
> Hardware -> Device -> iOS 13.1 -> <device_name>
>
> 4. Again, wait until the new simulator device fully loads, until it shows
> the
> device's Home screen
>
> 5. Now go back to LiveCode, choose the iOS simulator under "Test Target"
> and
> finally press the Test button (or choose Development -> "Test")
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Kind regards,
> Panos
>

> On Wed, 4 Dec 2019 at 08:00, scott--- via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I found that launching the simulator and getting a device running BEFORE
>> testing from LC often helped.  As an aside, since setting up LC 9.6.0(dp1)
>> and xCode 11.1 Ive been unable to get the simulator to load my app. I’m
>> still fiddling to see what how to attack it differently :- )
>> (If I go back to LC 9.0.5 and xCode 10.1 I can get it to work.)
>>
>> Scott Morrow
>>
>> Elementary Software
>> (Now with 20% less chalk dust!)
>> web       https://elementarysoftware.com/
>> email     [hidden email]
>> booth    1-800-615-0867
>>> On Dec 3, 2019, at 8:16 PM, Marty Knapp via use-livecode <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Wow, this is fun. Well thanks to Curry I got a version of Xcode that
>> works (10.1) with LC 9.5 and Mojave. I make a simple app with one button
>> and try to launch in the Simulator and I get an error "The simulator seems
>> to be taking a long time to launch..." Sometimes get another error "Unable
>> to start simulation: Time out waiting for device to start."
>>>
>>> I try launching the Simulator first, then click the "Test” button in LC
>> and that results in "Unable to start simulation: Failed to install the
>> requested application"

Re: Connecting LC to Xcode

JJS via use-livecode
What is your virtual device? I don't have this problem any longer with
Xcode 11.1 (required for LC 9.6dp1), but in older versions the default
iPad was an iPad Air and the default iPhone was an iPhone 5 (or 5s?)
and the Simulator wouldn't fully launch.

In the device Simulator you can launch a different device (you can
have multiple devices running, but can't choose which device to Test
to like you can with Android emulator). Launch a different device by
going to the drop-down menu in Simulator and choose Hardware > Device
 > iOS >

That seemed to work consistently for me. YMMV

--Andrew Bell

> Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2019 20:16:06 -0800
> From: Marty Knapp <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: Connecting LC to Xcode
>
> Wow, this is fun. Well thanks to Curry I got a version of Xcode that
> works (10.1) with LC 9.5 and Mojave. I make a simple app with one
> button and try to launch in the Simulator and I get an error "The
> simulator seems to be taking a long time to launch..." Sometimes get
> another error "Unable to start simulation: Time out waiting for
> device to start."
>
> I try launching the Simulator first, then click the "Test? button in
> LC and that results in "Unable to start simulation: Failed to
> install the requested application"

Re: Connecting LC to Xcode

JJS via use-livecode
Hello Marty,

Hehe, OK, I think I know where the problem is. I had the same problem and
spent a lot of time trying to figure out the problem, as the error message
from the simulator is not informative at all. So, short description of the
problem:

By installing xcode11.x and its additional components, a couple of new
subfolders were created in /Library/Developer/* folder. These new files
contain the new CoreSimulator framework (of xcode11.x), which includes some
changes. One of these is that it no longer allows installing apps to the
simulator that do not include a particular key in the plist. Even if you
uninstall Xcode 11 and install Xcode 10.1, this file is not replaced by
Xcode10.1's equivalent (because the one from Xcode11 is newer, so it does
not allow older ones to overwrite it).

Solution:

1. Open Finder, and choose (from Finder's menubar) Go -> Go to Folder and
enter /Library/Developer/
2. Delete the /Library/Developer/ folder (or rename it to
/Library/XCode11_Developer/)
3. In the terminal, type sudo xcode-select --install and press enter. This
will show a dialog asking the user to agree to xcode's terms and conditions
and then to install the additional components. Click "I agree" and then
"Yes install them"
4. This will create a new folder /Library/Developer/, which will contain
the correct additional components (i.e. including the CoreSimulator
framework) from Xcode 10.1
5. Now type in the the Terminal sudo xcode-select -s <path_to_xcode10.1.app>

This will hopefully work. Then, make sure you follow the instructions from
the previous post (i.e. to launch the simulator first and then click "Test"
in LC)

Kind regards,
Panos
--

On Wed, 4 Dec 2019 at 19:55, Marty Knapp via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> 9.6.0(dp1)
> >> and xCode 11.1 Ive been unable to get the simulator to load my app. I’m
> >> still fiddling to see what how to attack it differently :- )
> >> (If I go back to LC 9.0.5 and xCode 10.1 I can get it to work.)
> >>
> >> Scott Morrow
> >>
> >> Elementary Software
> >> (Now with 20% less chalk dust!)
> >> web       https://elementarysoftware.com/
> >> email     [hidden email]
> >> booth    1-800-615-0867

> >> works (10.1) with LC 9.5 and Mojave. I make a simple app with one button
> >> and try to launch in the Simulator and I get an error "The simulator
> seems
> >> to be taking a long time to launch..." Sometimes get another error
> "Unable
> >> to start simulation: Time out waiting for device to start."

> >> and that results in "Unable to start simulation: Failed to install the

OK I took those steps but now when I launch Simulator I get this error:

“Unable to boot device because it cannot be located on disk. Us eat device manager in Xcode of the simctl command line tool to either delete the device properly or erase the contents and settings.”

I try selecting a device from the Hardware menu and can sometimes get one to load but then when I test from LC I get this error:

“Unable to start simulator: 634,0,0,unknown C++ exception 573,228,1,revIPhoneSetSimulatorSDK"

There is a new Developer folder (I renamed the folder for 11.2). I looked in Preferences and removed everything that looked like it belonged to Xcode.

> [...]
>>> (Launch Xcode 11.1, go to Xcode's menubar and choose Xcode->
>> Preferences->
>>> Locations and in the Command Line Tools dropdown choose "Xcode 11.1")
>>>
>>> 1. Open the Simulator from Xcode11.1 (Launch Xcode, go to Xcode's menubar
>>> and choose
>>> Xcode -> Open Developer Tool -> Simulator
>>>
>>> 2. Wait until the simulator fully loads, until it shows the device's Home
>>> screen
>>>
>>> 3. You can change device by clicking on the Simulator's app menubar:
>>>
>>> Hardware -> Device -> iOS 13.1 -> <device_name>
>>>
>>> 4. Again, wait until the new simulator device fully loads, until it shows
>>> the
>>> device's Home screen
>>>
>>> 5. Now go back to LiveCode, choose the iOS simulator under "Test Target"
>>> and
>>> finally press the Test button (or choose Development -> "Test")

Maybe a deinstall of all xcode versions, reboot, reinstall may do a miracle. Seems like strange failures.

Marty Knapp via use-livecode <[hidden email]> schreef op 5 december 2019 00:48:01 CET:

> [...]
>>
>> This will hopefully work. Then, make sure you follow the instructions
>from
>> the previous post (i.e. to launch the simulator first and then click
>"Test"
>> in LC)
>>
>> Kind regards,
>> Panos
>> --
>>
>> On Wed, 4 Dec 2019 at 19:55, Marty Knapp via use-livecode <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Yes those are the steps I’ve tried, only using Xcode 10.1 (couldn’t
>get LC
>>> to accept 11.2). When I click the “Test” button it starts going
>through the
>>> process of prepping the app then errors out with the message “Unable
>>> start simulation: Failed to install the requested application”
>>>
>>> If I change the test target to my actual iPhone it installs it fine,

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Android apparaat met K-9 Mail.

Re: Connecting LC to Xcode

JJS via use-livecode
Indeed, completely re-installing Xcode10.1 at this point will probably fix
the problem.

Another user in the forum had *exactly* the same problem after following
the instructions, and re-installing Xcode10.1 fixed the issue.

Kind regards,
Panos