Connecting to Gmail (SSL)

mikey-2
OK, so to connect to Gmail, you have to use SSL.  However, it appears that
you can only use SSL if you have Enterprise.  Do we have another solution?

--
Henny Youngman  - "When I told my doctor I couldn't afford an operation, he
offered to touch-up my X-rays."

Re: Connecting to Gmail (SSL)

xtalkprogrammer
Hi Mikey,

Have a look at WGet and CURL.

--
Best regards,

Mark Schonewille

http://economy-x-talk.com
http://www.salery.biz

Benefit from our inexpensive hosting services. See http://economy-x-talk.com/server.html
  for more info.

On 16 jun 2008, at 21:29, Mikey wrote:

> OK, so to connect to Gmail, you have to use SSL.  However, it
> appears that
> you can only use SSL if you have Enterprise.  Do we have another
> solution?

Kind regards,

Drs. Mark Schonewille

Homepage: http://economy-x-talk.com
KvK: 50277553

Re: Connecting to Gmail (SSL)

mikey-2
How about a link and a platform, please?

Re: Connecting to Gmail (SSL)

xtalkprogrammer
Dear Mikey,

May I recommend your favorite search engine? Really, there's a lot of
info available on the 'net.

--

On 16 jun 2008, at 21:35, Mikey wrote:

> How about a link and a platform, please?
Kind regards,

Drs. Mark Schonewille

Homepage: http://economy-x-talk.com
KvK: 50277553

Re: Connecting to Gmail (SSL)

mikey-2
Oh.  I thought we were talking about an external.  So we're talking about a
service?

--
Fran Lebowitz  - "You're only has good as your last haircut."

Re: Connecting to Gmail (SSL)

mikey-2
So here comes the next stupid question:  1) how does one connect to either
of these once one has the proper utility for the proper platform, and 2)
Since these are intended for http connections not pop3 or imap, do you have
any suggestions on dealing with either to switch protocols?

--
George Carlin  - "Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your
soul goes up on the roof and gets stu...

Re: Connecting to Gmail (SSL)

xtalkprogrammer
Hi Mikey,

WGet and CURL are command line utilities. You call them from the
shell. Have a look at the shell function in the docs.

--

On 16 jun 2008, at 21:51, Mikey wrote:

> Oh.  I thought we were talking about an external.  So we're talking
> about a
> service?
Kind regards,

Drs. Mark Schonewille

Homepage: http://economy-x-talk.com
KvK: 50277553

Re: Connecting to Gmail (SSL)

masmit
Mikey, you're right, they're both http(s) (and ftp in the case of
curl) utilities.

I don't know, but maybe it's possible to interact with gmail over
http...

Failing that, you might look into using some of the email command
line utilities - sendmail, postfix, and I think I heard of soemthing
called 'febooti' for windows.

Shao Sean and Sarah Reichelt have bothe done smtp and pop libraries
in Rev as well - perhaps they could be modified to work with curl or
wget...

Best,

Mark

On 16 Jun 2008, at 20:55, Mikey wrote:

> So here comes the next stupid question:  1) how does one connect to
> either
> of these once one has the proper utility for the proper platform,
> and 2)
> Since these are intended for http connections not pop3 or imap, do
> you have
> any suggestions on dealing with either to switch protocols?
>

> --
> George Carlin  - "Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die,
> your
> soul goes up on the roof and gets stu...

Re: Connecting to Gmail (SSL)

mikey-2
hmm.  FYI, on the gmail list, somebody also suggested using stunnel, which
lets you just use standard smtp and pop3 commands, and then let stunnel
handle the ssl...
--
Rodney Dangerfield  - "I haven't spoken to my wife in years. I didn't want
to interrupt her."