Copying cards from one stack to another

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
Holy Moly Batman!

I was in LC9.5.1rc1 and needed to copy some cards from the substack of
one mainstack stack to the substack of another main stack. I was
surprised to see there appears to be not GUI IDE option to copy a card
form one stack to another, not via the clipboard or by any means I can
figure out.

Thinking this was a bug, I whipped up a couple 3 card test stacks A and
B and started going back in LC version ony to find that as far back as I
have, LC 6.7.11, you still can not copy a card from one stack to another
via the IDE!

The only way appears to be via the 'copy <card> to <stack>' script
command, except, when use the copy command in the message boc in
LC9.5.1rc1 to copy a card, the card appears in the tartget stack (if I
have the stack open and visible). The list of cards in the Project
Browser is not updated, even if I close the Project Browser and reopen
it AND, even though the target stack shows a * in the title bar to
indicate it has unsaved changes - the copied cards - saving the target
stack and/or its mains tack does NOT save the changes. When * does not
go away from the titlebar and when reopened, the copied cards are not
present. The stack do NOT have 'cantModify' set to true.

I can not believe something as basic as copying a card can not be done
via the IDE interface or that the copy command seems broken in 9.5.1rc1.

What the heck am I doing wrong?!?

Re: Copying cards from one stack to another

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
Of course, right after posting this, I discovered that, in the Project
Browser, you can drag and drop cards from one stack to another and then
saving actually saves the changes. Works in LC951rc1 and 960dp1

Still not sure why copy isn't working OR why you can not use Edit > Copy
and Edit >Paste, but at leats I can move on with my work. I just do not
have time to further debug the IDE/engine.

On 12/10/19 1:40 PM, Paul Dupuis via use-livecode wrote:
> Of course, right after posting this, I discovered that, in the Project
> Browser, you can drag and drop cards from one stack to another and then
> saving actually saves the changes. Works in LC951rc1 and 960dp1
>
> Still not sure why copy isn't working OR why you can not use Edit > Copy
> and Edit >Paste, but at leats I can move on with my work. I just do not
> have time to further debug the IDE/engine.

Yep. One of the many mysteries of the Project Browser.
I just end up doing the copypasta thing via the message box to (mostly)
keep out of trouble.