Couple CGI questions--timed events

Thomas McCarthy

Question 1:
Can my rev cgi engine do things (such as send out emails) at predetermined intervals?

Question 2:
This is related to question 1. If my cgi script starts up the Rev engine. When does the rev engine shut down?

thanks
tom

Re: Couple CGI questions--timed events

jbv-2

Thomas,

> Question 1:
> Can my rev cgi engine do things (such as send out emails) at predetermined intervals?

you'd better use cron jobs on your server for that...

> Question 2:
> This is related to question 1. If my cgi script starts up the Rev engine. When does the rev engine shut down?

Theorically when your script execution is over IMHO.

Best,
JB

Re: Couple CGI questions--timed events

Dan Shafer

On Aug 22, 2005, at 7:42 AM, Thomas McCarthy wrote:

> Question 1:
> Can my rev cgi engine do things (such as send out emails) at
> predetermined intervals?

No. The CGI runs on request from a browser or other client. To do
this it would have to stay running, which is not how CGIs are
designed to work.

> Question 2:
> This is related to question 1. If my cgi script starts up the Rev
> engine. When does the rev engine shut down?

Each time the CGI is called, the engine is invoked, does the CGI
task, and terminates.

> thanks
> tom

Dan Shafer, Revolution Consultant and Author
http://www.shafermedia.com
 From http://www.revolutionpros.com, Click "My Stuff"

Re: Couple CGI questions--timed events

Andre Garzia

On Monday, August 22, 2005, at 04:07AM, Dan Shafer <[hidden email]> wrote:

>On Aug 22, 2005, at 7:42 AM, Thomas McCarthy wrote:
>

>> Question 1:
>> Can my rev cgi engine do things (such as send out emails) at
>> predetermined intervals?
>>
>No. The CGI runs on request from a browser or other client. To do
>this it would have to stay running, which is not how CGIs are
>designed to work.

for that task, cron is your friend! :-)

>> Question 2:
>> This is related to question 1. If my cgi script starts up the Rev
>> engine. When does the rev engine shut down?
>>
>Each time the CGI is called, the engine is invoked, does the CGI
>task, and terminates.

I find that the time after the reply to the browser but before engine shutdown is a very nice place to do all kinds of mantainance tasks. The  client is  happy and I think we can steal some more CPU cycles doing things that will speed up our system by leaving it in a nice shape. For example, this is a nice time to process text files and generate quick indexes.

cheers
andre