Creating a answer hyperlink

subzero569
I have a simple answer dialog displayed to a user.

example: answer information "Today is
Tuesday."&cr&"http://www.somesite.com" with ok titled information

How can I turn the URL above into a hyperlink to launch the users
browser?  I am only concerned with Windows solution.

I have searched the archives and can't seem to find the right answer.
I tried goRevURL but didn't get it to work.

TIA,

Josh
--
Inch by inch, life is a cinch.
Yard by yard, life is very hard.

Re: Creating a answer hyperlink

Dan Shafer
I could be wrong (often am) but I think you'll have to use a regular
substack to do this and not an answer dialog. As far as I can tell,
an answer dialog responds only to clicks on buttons, not to any mouse
actions in the text.

You *could* of course program a button click to take the user to the
site with revGoURL but since you have no control over the appearance
of the buttons or of the labels of the buttons in an answer dialog,
I'm not sure that accomplishes what you want.

The good news is that doing this in a substack is easy and, in some
ways, preferable to using the built-in ask/answer dialogs anyway.

On Aug 23, 2005, at 9:53 AM, subzero569 wrote:

> I have a simple answer dialog displayed to a user.
>
> example: answer information "Today is
> Tuesday."&cr&"http://www.somesite.com" with ok titled information
>
> How can I turn the URL above into a hyperlink to launch the users
> browser?  I am only concerned with Windows solution.
>
> I have searched the archives and can't seem to find the right answer.
> I tried goRevURL but didn't get it to work.
>
> TIA,
>
> Josh
> --
> Inch by inch, life is a cinch.
> Yard by yard, life is very hard.

Dan Shafer, Revolution Consultant and Author
http://www.shafermedia.com
 From http://www.revolutionpros.com, Click "My Stuff"

Re: Creating a answer hyperlink

Stephen Barncard
what about htmltext? Thanks to Eric's htmltext builder in his
tutorials, I created the following script:

put "<p><font face=" & quote & "Charcoal" & quote & " size=" & quote
& "36" & quote & ">DUDE</font></p>" & quote & "    & cr & " & quote &
"<p><font face=" & quote & "Charcoal" & quote & ">YOU LEFT THE WATER
face=" & quote & "Charcoal" & quote &

answer error tPrompt with "Cancel" or "OK" titled "Test" as sheet

This puts up a neat dialog with a clickable link - but according to
the message watcher no messages are sent when clicked - even though
the link does hilite.
Guess it has to be built. But it would be neat to send a message from
the htmltext. The limitation is the dialog mode itself by definition.

sqb

Dan said:

>I could be wrong (often am) but I think you'll have to use a regular
>substack to do this and not an answer dialog. As far as I can tell,
>an answer dialog responds only to clicks on buttons, not to any
>mouse actions in the text.
>
>You *could* of course program a button click to take the user to the
>site with revGoURL but since you have no control over the appearance
>of the buttons or of the labels of the buttons in an answer dialog,
>I'm not sure that accomplishes what you want.
>
>The good news is that doing this in a substack is easy and, in some
>ways, preferable to using the built-in ask/answer dialogs anyway.

Re: Creating a answer hyperlink

Chris Sheffield-2

On Aug 23, 2005, at 12:47 PM, Stephen Barncard wrote:

> This puts up a neat dialog with a clickable link - but according to
> the message watcher no messages are sent when clicked - even though
> the link does hilite.
> Guess it has to be built. But it would be neat to send a message
> from the htmltext. The limitation is the dialog mode itself by
> definition.

Stephen,

Not quite true.  Well, maybe the message watcher doesn't see it, but
it does work if you put a linkClicked handler in the same script
where you call the answer dialog.  I've got a program that uses this
method and it works perfectly.  The linkClicked handler then calls
revGoURL like normal.

Chris Sheffield
Read Naturally
The Fluency Company
http://www.readnaturally.com

Re: Creating a answer hyperlink

Chris Sheffield-2

On Aug 23, 2005, at 12:47 PM, Stephen Barncard wrote:

> This puts up a neat dialog with a clickable link - but according to
> the message watcher no messages are sent when clicked - even though
> the link does hilite.
> Guess it has to be built. But it would be neat to send a message
> from the htmltext. The limitation is the dialog mode itself by
> definition.

Stephen,

Not quite true.  Well, maybe the message watcher doesn't see it, but
it does work if you put a linkClicked handler in the same script
where you call the answer dialog.  I've got a program that uses this
method and it works perfectly.  The linkClicked handler then calls
revGoURL like normal.

Chris Sheffield
Read Naturally
The Fluency Company
http://www.readnaturally.com

Re: Creating a answer hyperlink

Chris Sheffield

On Aug 23, 2005, at 12:47 PM, Stephen Barncard wrote:

> This puts up a neat dialog with a clickable link - but according to
> the message watcher no messages are sent when clicked - even though
> the link does hilite.
> Guess it has to be built. But it would be neat to send a message
> from the htmltext. The limitation is the dialog mode itself by
> definition.

Stephen,

Not quite true.  Well, maybe the message watcher doesn't see it, but
it does work if you put a linkClicked handler in the same script
where you call the answer dialog.  I've got a program that uses this
method and it works perfectly.  The linkClicked handler then calls
revGoURL like normal.

Chris Sheffield
Read Naturally
The Fluency Company
http://www.readnaturally.com

Problem with Scrolling List Field

David Burgun
Hi All,

I have a Field that is setup as a scrolling list. I can add to the
list no problem. However I want to be able to let the user select a
single item in the list and then press a "delete" button to delete it.

This is the code I have, on the Field:

on mouseUp
local myClickLine

put the clickLike into myClickLine
if myClickLine is not empty then
   select myClickLine
else
   select empty

Then on the delete button:

on mouseUp
local mySelectedLine

put the selectedLine into mySelectedLine
if mySelectedLine is not empty then
    put theSelectedLine --Dump to message box
    delete theSelectedLine
    select empty
else
   beep

But when I run this, the first time I selected a line it *sometimes*
works but then it doesn't work from then on, e.g. it doesn't delete
the line, but the message box contains line and field number as
expected. If I manually type "delete line 1 of field 1" in the
message box, the line gets deleted as expected.

What am I doing wrong???

Thanks a lot
Dave

Re: Creating a answer hyperlink

Ken Ray
On 8/23/05 2:08 PM, "Chris Sheffield" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Aug 23, 2005, at 12:47 PM, Stephen Barncard wrote:
>
>> This puts up a neat dialog with a clickable link - but according to
>> the message watcher no messages are sent when clicked - even though
>> the link does hilite.
>> Guess it has to be built. But it would be neat to send a message
>> from the htmltext. The limitation is the dialog mode itself by
>> definition.
>

> Stephen,
>
> Not quite true.  Well, maybe the message watcher doesn't see it, but
> it does work if you put a linkClicked handler in the same script
> where you call the answer dialog.  I've got a program that uses this
> method and it works perfectly.  The linkClicked handler then calls
> revGoURL like normal.

Can you clarify this a bit more, Chris? I tried this in a button:

on mouseUp
end mouseUp

on linkClicked pLink
  put pLink
end linkClicked

and it didn't work... I clicked the link, but the answer dialog remained up
and nothing showed up in the message box.

Any hints?

:-)

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software
Web site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/
Email: [hidden email]

Re: Creating a answer hyperlink

Eric Chatonet
Hi Chris,

Could you explain how do you get this result?
A priori, if you use the standard dialog, the linkClicked message
will be sent to the answer dialog stack (card 1) and never to the
calling stack.
May be this works in a standalone if the standard dialog has become a
"substack" and if your call is located in the script of your main
stack (I did not verify).
I asked Runrev a long time ago to handle links in answer dialogs (at
least revGoUrl <the effective text> and revMail <the effective
address>) but I was not heard...

Le 23 août 05 à 21:08, Chris Sheffield a écrit :

> On Aug 23, 2005, at 12:47 PM, Stephen Barncard wrote:
>

>> This puts up a neat dialog with a clickable link - but according
>> to the message watcher no messages are sent when clicked - even
>> though the link does hilite.
>> Guess it has to be built. But it would be neat to send a message
>> from the htmltext. The limitation is the dialog mode itself by
>> definition.
>>

> Stephen,
>
> Not quite true.  Well, maybe the message watcher doesn't see it,
> but it does work if you put a linkClicked handler in the same
> script where you call the answer dialog.  I've got a program that
> uses this method and it works perfectly.  The linkClicked handler
> then calls revGoURL like normal.

Best Regards from Paris,

Eric Chatonet.
So Smart Software

Re: Problem with Scrolling List Field

Ken Ray
On 8/23/05 2:15 PM, "David Burgun" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> But when I run this, the first time I selected a line it *sometimes*
> works but then it doesn't work from then on, e.g. it doesn't delete
> the line, but the message box contains line and field number as
> expected. If I manually type "delete line 1 of field 1" in the
> message box, the line gets deleted as expected.
>
> What am I doing wrong???

Well, you could try:

  do "delete" && the selectedLine

The possibility might be one of focus - if the button has its traversalOn
property set to true, turn it off - it may be grabbing the focus from the
field.

That's my 2 cents,

Le 23 août 05 à 21:29, Eric Chatonet a écrit :

> I asked Runrev a long time ago to handle links in answer dialogs
> (at least revGoUrl <the effective text> and revMail <the effective
> address>) but I was not heard...

And I add: it would be easy.
If I have a couple of minutes, I shall write a patch tomorrow...

Best Regards from Paris,

Eric Chatonet.
So Smart Software

Re: Creating a answer hyperlink

Chris Sheffield
Okay, for a minute there I thought I was going crazy.  I have this
substack I'm using where this works just fine, but I tried exactly
what you just tried and it didn't work.  The difference:  my substack
is a library that I "put in use".  And sure enough, when I did a
"start using" on the little temp stack I was testing with, it
worked.  Kind of a strange thing.  I guess I never realized that
before because I had been using the substack like that long before I
ever put this answer dialog in.  And when it worked just fine, I just
thought that's how it worked and didn't think about it further.
Anyway, that appears to be the workaround for now.  Until Eric
releases his patch, that is. :-)  Not sure if it's much of a
workaround or not.  Is it worth the extra stack in use just to have
links in an answer dialog?  For me it works well because that script
contains other handlers that are called throughout my program.

Chris

On Aug 23, 2005, at 1:28 PM, Ken Ray wrote:

> On 8/23/05 2:08 PM, "Chris Sheffield" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On Aug 23, 2005, at 12:47 PM, Stephen Barncard wrote:
>>

>>> This puts up a neat dialog with a clickable link - but according to
>>> the message watcher no messages are sent when clicked - even though
>>> the link does hilite.
>>> Guess it has to be built. But it would be neat to send a message
>>> from the htmltext. The limitation is the dialog mode itself by
>>> definition.
>>>

>> Stephen,
>>
>> Not quite true.  Well, maybe the message watcher doesn't see it, but
>> it does work if you put a linkClicked handler in the same script
>> where you call the answer dialog.  I've got a program that uses this
>> method and it works perfectly.  The linkClicked handler then calls
>> revGoURL like normal.
>>

> Can you clarify this a bit more, Chris? I tried this in a button:
>
> on mouseUp
> end mouseUp
>
> on linkClicked pLink
>   put pLink
> end linkClicked
>
> and it didn't work... I clicked the link, but the answer dialog
> remained up
> and nothing showed up in the message box.
>
> Any hints?
>
> :-)
>
> Ken Ray
> Sons of Thunder Software
> Web site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/
> Email: [hidden email]

Chris Sheffield
Read Naturally
The Fluency Company
http://www.readnaturally.com

Re: [Bulk] Problem with Scrolling List Field

Bruce Lewis-2
David,

Note typo "ClickLiKe" in third line of script.

Try:

put word 2 of the ClickLine into tLineClicked
put word 4 of the ClickLine into tFldClicked

Then

delete line tLineClicked of fld tFldClicked

Regards,

Bruce

At 8:15 PM +0100 8/23/05, David Burgun wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>I have a Field that is setup as a scrolling list. I can add to the
>list no problem. However I want to be able to let the user select a
>single item in the list and then press a "delete" button to delete it.
>
>This is the code I have, on the Field:
>
>on mouseUp
>local myClickLine
>
>put the clickLike into myClickLine
>if myClickLine is not empty then
>   select myClickLine
>else
>   select empty
>end if
>end mouseUp
>

>Then on the delete button:
>
>on mouseUp
>local mySelectedLine
>
>put the selectedLine into mySelectedLine
>if mySelectedLine is not empty then
>    put theSelectedLine --Dump to message box
>    delete theSelectedLine
>    select empty
>else
>   beep
>end if
>end mouseUp
>

>But when I run this, the first time I selected a line it *sometimes*
>works but then it doesn't work from then on, e.g. it doesn't delete
>the line, but the message box contains line and field number as
>expected. If I manually type "delete line 1 of field 1" in the
>message box, the line gets deleted as expected.
>
>What am I doing wrong???
>
>Thanks a lot
>Dave

Bruce Lewis