Creeping IDE Script Editor window position

Creeping IDE Script Editor window position

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
Anybody notice this? I'm using LC 8.1.7 RC3 and the script =
editor creeps up further toward the top of the page each time it is =
closed, then opened, until it disappears behind the tool bar and is hard =
to access. Also, the bottom of the window seems to get larger and is off
the screen and can't be resized.

I'm on Mac OS10.12.6.
Best,
Bill P

William A. Prothero
http://earthlearningsolution.org/

Re: Creeping IDE Script Editor window position

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
Hi Bill,

I see the same thing. I am on the same OS version.

Best Regards
Ron

> On Oct 9, 2017, at 8:24 AM, William Prothero via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Anybody notice this? I'm using LC 8.1.7 RC3 and the script =
> editor creeps up further toward the top of the page each time it is =
> closed, then opened, until it disappears behind the tool bar and is hard =
> to access. Also, the bottom of the window seems to get larger and is off
> the screen and can't be resized.
>
> I'm on Mac OS10.12.6.
> Best,
> Bill P
>
> William A. Prothero
> http://earthlearningsolution.org/

Re: Creeping IDE Script Editor window position

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
Do you have 2 monitors of differing resolutions? This will happen if you do, under certain circumstances, especially (I think) if one of the monitors is a retina display, like a Mac laptop. I am always readjusting my windows, not just the script editor.

Bob S

> On Oct 9, 2017, at 08:24 , William Prothero via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Anybody notice this? I'm using LC 8.1.7 RC3 and the script =
> editor creeps up further toward the top of the page each time it is =
> closed, then opened, until it disappears behind the tool bar and is hard =
> to access. Also, the bottom of the window seems to get larger and is off
> the screen and can't be resized.
>
> I'm on Mac OS10.12.6.
> Best,
> Bill P
>
> William A. Prothero
> http://earthlearningsolution.org/

Re: Creeping IDE Script Editor window position

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
Hi all,

I see similar problems (not only in 8.1.7 rc3) in a multiple-monitor setup
on OSX.

For me the problems are fixed if align the tops of the two monitors in the
System Preferences -> Displays -> Arrangement

Hope this helps.

Best,
Panos
--

On Mon, Oct 9, 2017 at 5:02 PM, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Do you have 2 monitors of differing resolutions? This will happen if you
> do, under certain circumstances, especially (I think) if one of the
> monitors is a retina display, like a Mac laptop. I am always readjusting my
> windows, not just the script editor.
>
> Bob S
>

> > On Oct 9, 2017, at 08:24 , William Prothero via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Anybody notice this? I'm using LC 8.1.7 RC3 and the script =
> > editor creeps up further toward the top of the page each time it is =
> > closed, then opened, until it disappears behind the tool bar and is hard
> =
> > to access. Also, the bottom of the window seems to get larger and is off
> > the screen and can't be resized.
> >
> > I'm on Mac OS10.12.6.
> > Best,
> > Bill P
> >
> > William A. Prothero
> > http://earthlearningsolution.org/

Re: Creeping IDE Script Editor window position

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
Hi Panos,

I am using only a single monitor and it happens to me. I quit using 8.1.7 (RC3) because if it. The top of my editor goes behind the menu bar, so you can’t move it. The bottom goes off the bottom of the monitor and wraps around to the top of the monitor. Makes it impossible to debug your code when you can’t scroll to the bottom of the window to see the values in variables. Of course, if you know the variable name you can type them one at a time to see the values but I just use a different version of LiveCode. I also still get partial selections of code when I drag the cursor across a line. This has been reported for different version of LiveCode before. I do try out the different versions of LiveCode releases as they come out.

Best Regards
Ron

On 10/09/2017 10:46 AM, Ronny Metzker via use-livecode wrote:
> Hi Panos,
>
> I quit using 8.1.7 (RC3) because if it. The top of my editor goes behind the menu bar, so you can’t move it.

I used to have that problem with the dictionary.

Re: Creeping IDE Script Editor window position

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
On the other hand, we are developers, so there is no need to
write more than one of

set rect of stack "revNewScripteditor 1" to 100,100,800,800
set rect of stack "revErrorDisplay" to 100,100,800,800
set rect of stack "revDictonary" to 100,100,800,800

Re: Creeping IDE Script Editor window position

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
I have two monitors. One is on a MacBook Pro, and the resolutions are different. I set to “default resolution” on both displays. The main display that I use is the second display but I get the same effect on both the laptop monitor and the external monitor.

It’s a pain but if I keep dragging it down, it’s ok. But, if it goes to the top, it’s impossible!
Best,
Bill

> On Oct 9, 2017, at 12:46 PM, Mark Wieder via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 10/09/2017 10:46 AM, Ronny Metzker via use-livecode wrote:
>> Hi Panos,
>> I quit using 8.1.7 (RC3) because if it. The top of my editor goes behind the menu bar, so you can’t move it.
>
> I used to have that problem with the dictionary.
>
> --
> Mark Wieder

Re: Creeping IDE Script Editor window position

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
Interestingly, the project browser comes up at the same place each time it’s opened.
Hmm…
Bill P

> On Oct 9, 2017, at 1:14 PM, William Prothero via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I have two monitors. One is on a MacBook Pro, and the resolutions are different. I set to “default resolution” on both displays. The main display that I use is the second display but I get the same effect on both the laptop monitor and the external monitor.
>
> It’s a pain but if I keep dragging it down, it’s ok. But, if it goes to the top, it’s impossible!
> Best,
> Bill
>
>> On Oct 9, 2017, at 12:46 PM, Mark Wieder via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On 10/09/2017 10:46 AM, Ronny Metzker via use-livecode wrote:
>>> Hi Panos,
>>> I quit using 8.1.7 (RC3) because if it. The top of my editor goes behind the menu bar, so you can’t move it.
>>
>> I used to have that problem with the dictionary.
>>
>> --
>> Mark Wieder

Re: Creeping IDE Script Editor window position

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
Mac OS 10.13.x
LC 8.1.7 (rc3)

I invested a some time into figuring out the creepring IDE SE Windows. This issue I am sure is related to Bugs #19419 & 19853 (sure would be nice if this could get looked at, pretty please). I find the creeping window only occurs when I open the IDE on my secondary monitor on Mac OS.

The reason the script editor window moves down on each load appears to be the result of the system property “the effective top” not having the correct value on multi-monitor (Mac) setups when the IDE opens on the secondary monitor. I do not have access to Windows/Linux at the moment so I can not confirm the behavior on those systems.

I am not creating a PR as I suspect the issue is likely to be fixed when bug 19419 is fixed.

How to “band-aid” the creeping IDE Window (when IDE is on secondary monitor) (NOTE: this is intended for more advanced users. Perform at your own risk. Backup your LC App before starting. I take no responsibility if this kills your install ;-)

Tested on LC 8.1.7 (rc3) Mac Users only:
0: Make sure Livecode is not running.
1. In your text editor of choice, open the application Contents and edit Tools->Toolset->libraries->revidelibrary.8.livecodescript
2. search for the command revIDEEnsureOnscreen
3. change this line (on or about line 4531)

if the effective top of stack pStackName < item 2 of tScreenRect then

if the top of stack pStackName < item 2 of tScreenRect then

NOTE: this change can result in the IDE title bar being under the menu bar. For me, I’ll take this minor risk over the IDE moving down each time I open it up.

There have not been any code changes in this part of the code for a long time (last by runrevElanor in 2 years ago). I do believe the root of the issue is that the effective top is not returning a good result as it is likely related to bug 19419.

- Bob Hall