Custom prop weirdness

MisterX
ok, im working on this bot war concept... Here's a peek...

This is driving me nuts!!!
I got everything going except transcript which wont cooperate...

   create button bot[x,"name"] in grp "arena"
    put it into thebot
    put word 3 of it into btnid

    set the bot["script"] of thebot to bot[x,"botscript"]
    -- no error and no bot custom prop nothing happens

    set the bot["script"] of btn id btnid to bot[x,"botscript"]
    -- no error and no bot custom prop nothing happens

    set the botscript of btn id btnid to bot[x,"botscript"]
    -- THIS WORKS!

BUT if i do this in the message bot

  set the bot["script"] of btn id 1551 to "hello"

it works! i get what i want...

WTF is wrong with the line :

  set the bot["script"] of btn id btnid to bot[x,"botscript"]

?

The array contains a script text, the button id and the button exist and are
valid. There are no reverrors, debugging info - "seems" reliable...

Can anyone explain where the error is?

--

The game is coming along really nicely! I got the game nearly ready except
for the botscript parser to come... Works perfectly except for this

cheers
Xavier

Re: Custom prop weirdness

Eric Chatonet
Hi Xavier,

Le 17 juin 05 à 11:46, MisterX a écrit :

>   set the bot["script"] of btn id btnid to bot[x,"botscript"]

set the bot["script"] of btn id btnid to the bot[x,"botscript"] of
<object>

????

Best Regards from Paris,

Eric Chatonet.
So Smart Software

Re: Custom prop weirdness

Brian Yennie
Xavier,

This works here in the message box:

put "myprop" into x["name"]
put "mypropvalue" into x["value"]
set the x["name"] of this stack to x["value"]
put the myprop of this stack  ## displays "mypropvalue"

Sounds like an error in your script elsewhere...

> ok, im working on this bot war concept... Here's a peek...
>
> This is driving me nuts!!!
> I got everything going except transcript which wont cooperate...
>
>    create button bot[x,"name"] in grp "arena"
>     put it into thebot
>     put word 3 of it into btnid
>
>     set the bot["script"] of thebot to bot[x,"botscript"]
>     -- no error and no bot custom prop nothing happens
>
>     set the bot["script"] of btn id btnid to bot[x,"botscript"]
>     -- no error and no bot custom prop nothing happens
>
>     set the botscript of btn id btnid to bot[x,"botscript"]
>     -- THIS WORKS!
>

> BUT if i do this in the message bot
>
>   set the bot["script"] of btn id 1551 to "hello"
>
> it works! i get what i want...
>
> WTF is wrong with the line :
>
>   set the bot["script"] of btn id btnid to bot[x,"botscript"]
>
> ?
>
> The array contains a script text, the button id and the button exist
> and are
> valid. There are no reverrors, debugging info - "seems" reliable...
>
> Can anyone explain where the error is?
>
> --
>
> The game is coming along really nicely! I got the game nearly ready
> except
> for the botscript parser to come... Works perfectly except for this
> unexplainable crap...

> cheers
> Xavier

RE: Custom prop weirdness

MisterX
Eric!

no, the bot[x,"botscript"] is a variable name though...

But i see the point... I manage to confuse the IDE again... ;)

switching local's name to bot matrix global instad...
Easier that cleaning and switching cps names... ;)

Thanks for that heads-up...

cheers
Xavier

  _____

Le 17 juin 05 à 11:46, MisterX a écrit :

  set the bot["script"] of btn id btnid to bot[x,"botscript"]

set the bot["script"] of btn id btnid to the bot[x,"botscript"] of <object>

????

Best Regards from Paris,

Eric Chatonet.
So Smart Software

Email        [hidden email]/
Phone        33 (0)1 43 31 77 62
Mobile        33 (0)6 20 74 50 86

RE: Custom prop weirdness

MisterX
Thanks Brian,

like i did say, it works in the message
Not in the script... i didn't mention i had a global "bot" already...

engine confusion which shouldn't happen... TAOO's semantic symbiosic (a
sub-subject in dynamic scripting) is now on the freeze pending further
testing!

cheers
Xavier

Re: Custom prop weirdness

Eric Chatonet
Hi Xavier,

  If my confusion (I  figure it out but the mail was sent) can help
to clear the things, I'm very, very proud ;-)

Le 17 juin 05 à 12:17, MisterX a écrit :

> Eric!
>
> no, the bot[x,"botscript"] is a variable name though...
>
> But i see the point... I manage to confuse the IDE again... ;)
>
> switching local's name to bot matrix global instad...
> Easier that cleaning and switching cps names... ;)
>
> Thanks for that heads-up...

Best Regards from Paris,

Eric Chatonet.
So Smart Software

Re: Custom prop weirdness

Brian Yennie
Xavier,

It also works in a test button, and still yet if I declare a global
elsewhere with the same name as the local array.
I don't see how this is anything other than an error in your script
somewhere... am I missing something?

In what way is the engine confused?