DataGrid Column Labels

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
I have just started having an issue with the Column Labels on some newly created tables.

Basically they do not show unless I press “Refresh Data Grid" in the Property Inspector.

If I then shut down LiveCode and relaunch it they have gone missing again.

I am using the community edition of LC9 in OSX 10.13.4.

It is only affecting newly created DataGrids.

DataGrids that have been created in previous versions seem OK.

My only solution has been to overlay the DataGrid with a label.

Is this an issue anyone else has been having or is it just me?

I have been using the DGH 2.0.0 plugin if that makes a difference.

Thanks for any pointers.

All the best

Terry

Re: DataGrid Column Labels

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
I had a similar issue. Labels would not appear. I got the dgprop ["column labels"] of the datagrid and they were all correct! That made me think there is something wrong with the behavior, but other datagrids were working fine! What I did to fix it is I got the behavior of another datagrid that DID work, and set the behavior of the errant datagrid to the long id of that.

Bob S

> On Apr 13, 2018, at 11:52 , Terence Heaford via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I have just started having an issue with the Column Labels on some newly created tables.
>
> Basically they do not show unless I press “Refresh Data Grid" in the Property Inspector.
>
> If I then shut down LiveCode and relaunch it they have gone missing again.
>
> I am using the community edition of LC9 in OSX 10.13.4.
>
> It is only affecting newly created DataGrids.
>
> DataGrids that have been created in previous versions seem OK.
>
> My only solution has been to overlay the DataGrid with a label.
>

> Is this an issue anyone else has been having or is it just me?
>
> I have been using the DGH 2.0.0 plugin if that makes a difference.
>

> Thanks for any pointers.
>

> All the best
>
> Terry

Re: DataGrid Column Labels

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
Thanks

Will have a look at that although the column does not have a column behaviour.

I have changed the properties of the header with DGH but the props listed in the Property Inspector do seem correct.

If I go back into DGH and click on the green tick to accept a change of margins for the header, the label again shows until the next time I restart the Stack in LiveCode
at which point it disappears again.

I can’t see what I have done to cause this errant behaviour.

There must be a bug somewhere but where…?

All the best

Terry

> On 13 Apr 2018, at 22:00, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I had a similar issue. Labels would not appear. I got the dgprop ["column labels"] of the datagrid and they were all correct! That made me think there is something wrong with the behavior, but other datagrids were working fine! What I did to fix it is I got the behavior of another datagrid that DID work, and set the behavior of the errant datagrid to the long id of that.
>
> Bob S
>

>> On Apr 13, 2018, at 11:52 , Terence Heaford via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I have just started having an issue with the Column Labels on some newly created tables.
>>
>> Basically they do not show unless I press “Refresh Data Grid" in the Property Inspector.
>>
>> If I then shut down LiveCode and relaunch it they have gone missing again.
>>
>> I am using the community edition of LC9 in OSX 10.13.4.
>>
>> It is only affecting newly created DataGrids.
>>
>> DataGrids that have been created in previous versions seem OK.
>>
>> My only solution has been to overlay the DataGrid with a label.
>>

>> Is this an issue anyone else has been having or is it just me?
>>
>> I have been using the DGH 2.0.0 plugin if that makes a difference.
>>

>> Thanks for any pointers.
>>

>> All the best
>>
>> Terry

Re: DataGrid Column Labels

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
When I look at the Data Grid Templates in the project browser I see 2 tables that refer to DG2.

I suspect these are the culprits because these are associated with the two new tables I have added to the project.

Where there problems are, I don’t know.

Thanks

Terry

> On 14 Apr 2018, at 08:17, Terence Heaford via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thanks
>
> Will have a look at that although the column does not have a column behaviour.
>
> I have changed the properties of the header with DGH but the props listed in the Property Inspector do seem correct.
>
> If I go back into DGH and click on the green tick to accept a change of margins for the header, the label again shows until the next time I restart the Stack in LiveCode
> at which point it disappears again.
>
> I can’t see what I have done to cause this errant behaviour.
>
> There must be a bug somewhere but where…?
>

> All the best
>
> Terry
>

>> On 13 Apr 2018, at 22:00, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I had a similar issue. Labels would not appear. I got the dgprop ["column labels"] of the datagrid and they were all correct! That made me think there is something wrong with the behavior, but other datagrids were working fine! What I did to fix it is I got the behavior of another datagrid that DID work, and set the behavior of the errant datagrid to the long id of that.
>>
>> Bob S
>>

>>> On Apr 13, 2018, at 11:52 , Terence Heaford via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I have just started having an issue with the Column Labels on some newly created tables.
>>>
>>> Basically they do not show unless I press “Refresh Data Grid" in the Property Inspector.
>>>
>>> If I then shut down LiveCode and relaunch it they have gone missing again.
>>>
>>> I am using the community edition of LC9 in OSX 10.13.4.
>>>
>>> It is only affecting newly created DataGrids.
>>>
>>> DataGrids that have been created in previous versions seem OK.
>>>
>>> My only solution has been to overlay the DataGrid with a label.
>>>

>>> Is this an issue anyone else has been having or is it just me?
>>>
>>> I have been using the DGH 2.0.0 plugin if that makes a difference.
>>>

>>> Thanks for any pointers.
>>>

>>> All the best
>>>
>>> Terry

Re: DataGrid Column Labels

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
More investigation.

Instead of using DGH to change the header label I did it manually by editing the groups.

This worked until a reload of the project at which point the header label had disappeared again.

Upon working through the header by editing the groups you eventually come to the text field that contains the header text.

This was empty.

Clearly something in the script of the DataGrid is emptying that field.

At this point I am giving up although if you create the headers on opening the project with the likes of:

set the dgProp[ "columns" ] of group  “myTable" of cd  “myCard" of stack  “myStack" to "test"

set the dgProp[ "column labels" ] of group "myTable" of cd "myCard" of stack "myStack" to "TEST"

Then they do seem to stick for the duration of the project being open. I have placed these in open stack

All the best

Terry

> On 14 Apr 2018, at 09:03, Terence Heaford via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> When I look at the Data Grid Templates in the project browser I see 2 tables that refer to DG2.
>
> I suspect these are the culprits because these are associated with the two new tables I have added to the project.
>
> Where there problems are, I don’t know.
>

> Thanks
>
> Terry
>

>> On 14 Apr 2018, at 08:17, Terence Heaford via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Will have a look at that although the column does not have a column behaviour.
>>
>> I have changed the properties of the header with DGH but the props listed in the Property Inspector do seem correct.
>>
>> If I go back into DGH and click on the green tick to accept a change of margins for the header, the label again shows until the next time I restart the Stack in LiveCode
>> at which point it disappears again.
>>
>> I can’t see what I have done to cause this errant behaviour.
>>
>> There must be a bug somewhere but where…?
>>

>> All the best
>>
>> Terry
>>

>>> On 13 Apr 2018, at 22:00, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I had a similar issue. Labels would not appear. I got the dgprop ["column labels"] of the datagrid and they were all correct! That made me think there is something wrong with the behavior, but other datagrids were working fine! What I did to fix it is I got the behavior of another datagrid that DID work, and set the behavior of the errant datagrid to the long id of that.
>>>
>>> Bob S

Re: DataGrid Column Labels

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
I see what you have done and when I create a new project with LC9 and create a Data Grid I do not have any problems.

The issue I have is when I create a Data Grid within a project that has been created with an earlier version of LC.

If this is relevant I do not know.

For the moment I have settled on placing this in the preOpenCard handler

put  “aa,bb,cc,dd,ee,ff,gg,hh" into tFields

replace "," with CR in tFields

set the dgProp[ "column labels" ] of group  “myTable" to tFields

This does the trick but it would be better if I knew why?

There are 13 Data Grids in the project.

8 that were there before LC9 are OK the other 5 exhibit the issue.

All the best

Terry

> On 15 Apr 2018, at 05:23, James Hale <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I am using 9 on a Mac and I cannot reproduce your issue.
>
> I noticed you mention DGH and so perhaps it is a Data Grid Helper issue (although I fail to see how.)
>
> If I open the PI for a data grid and click on the Columns tab, click on a column in the list
>
> (here's one I prepared earlier.)
>
> <DGH005.jpeg>
>
> Then type a name in the "Name" field, tab out or hit the Enter key and the label I entered (in the above image "Name") appears in my data grid on my stack. I do not need to refresh anything.
> If I then save my stack, quit LC, relaunch and open the saved stack, the labels are there as expected.
>
> So maybe something else is going on in your case?
>
> James

Re: DataGrid Column Labels

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
As I mentioned, I get the behavior of a datagrid that IS working, then set the behavior of the datagrid that ISN'T working to that behavior. I'm not sure why but there seem to be more than one datagrid behavior object floating around.

Bob S

> On Apr 16, 2018, at 08:29 , Terence Heaford via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I see what you have done and when I create a new project with LC9 and create a Data Grid I do not have any problems.
>
> The issue I have is when I create a Data Grid within a project that has been created with an earlier version of LC.
>
> If this is relevant I do not know.
>
> For the moment I have settled on placing this in the preOpenCard handler
>

> put  “aa,bb,cc,dd,ee,ff,gg,hh" into tFields
>
> replace "," with CR in tFields
>
> set the dgProp[ "column labels" ] of group  “myTable" to tFields
>

> This does the trick but it would be better if I knew why?
>
> There are 13 Data Grids in the project.
>
> 8 that were there before LC9 are OK the other 5 exhibit the issue.
>

> All the best
>
> Terry

Re: DataGrid Column Labels

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
I’ve had a look at various behaviours but rather then make a mess of everything can you give a blow by blow of your actions please.

Thanks

Terry

> On 17 Apr 2018, at 15:47, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> As I mentioned, I get the behavior of a datagrid that IS working, then set the behavior of the datagrid that ISN'T working to that behavior. I'm not sure why but there seem to be more than one datagrid behavior object floating around.
>
> Bob S
>

>> On Apr 16, 2018, at 08:29 , Terence Heaford via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I see what you have done and when I create a new project with LC9 and create a Data Grid I do not have any problems.
>>
>> The issue I have is when I create a Data Grid within a project that has been created with an earlier version of LC.
>>
>> If this is relevant I do not know.
>>
>> For the moment I have settled on placing this in the preOpenCard handler
>>

>> put  “aa,bb,cc,dd,ee,ff,gg,hh" into tFields
>>
>> replace "," with CR in tFields
>>
>> set the dgProp[ "column labels" ] of group  “myTable" to tFields
>>

>> This does the trick but it would be better if I knew why?
>>
>> There are 13 Data Grids in the project.
>>
>> 8 that were there before LC9 are OK the other 5 exhibit the issue.
>>

>> All the best
>>
>> Terry

Re: DataGrid Column Labels

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
1. Find a datagrid that does not exhibit the problem. In the message box put:
put the behavior of group <working datagrid name"

2. Copy what's in the message

3. Go to the datagrid that is NOT working

4. In the message box type:
set the behavior of <the bad datagrid name> to <paste what you copied>

Bob S

> On Apr 17, 2018, at 23:36 , Terence Heaford via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I’ve had a look at various behaviours but rather then make a mess of everything can you give a blow by blow of your actions please.
>

> Thanks
>
> Terry
>

>> On 17 Apr 2018, at 15:47, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> As I mentioned, I get the behavior of a datagrid that IS working, then set the behavior of the datagrid that ISN'T working to that behavior. I'm not sure why but there seem to be more than one datagrid behavior object floating around.
>>
>> Bob S

Re: DataGrid Column Labels

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
I'm curious as to the differences..
Bob, what do you get if you..
put the behavior of group "workingdatagridname" into tWorking
put the behavior of group "nonworkingdatagridname" into tBroken
get dicompare(the script of tWorking,tBroken,1)
put it

On Wed, Apr 18, 2018 at 8:53 AM, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> 1. Find a datagrid that does not exhibit the problem. In the message box
> put:
> put the behavior of group <working datagrid name"
>
> 2. Copy what's in the message
>
> 3. Go to the datagrid that is NOT working
>
> 4. In the message box type:
> set the behavior of <the bad datagrid name> to <paste what you copied>
>
> Bob S
>

> > On Apr 17, 2018, at 23:36 , Terence Heaford via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I’ve had a look at various behaviours but rather then make a mess of
> everything can you give a blow by blow of your actions please.
> >

> > Thanks
> >
> > Terry
> >

> >> On 17 Apr 2018, at 15:47, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> As I mentioned, I get the behavior of a datagrid that IS working, then
> set the behavior of the datagrid that ISN'T working to that behavior. I'm
> not sure why but there seem to be more than one datagrid behavior object
> floating around.
> >>
> >> Bob S

Re: DataGrid Column Labels

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
Should have been diffcompare(the script of tWorking, the script of tBroken,
1)
Typos galore.

On Wed, Apr 18, 2018 at 9:05 AM, Mike Bonner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm curious as to the differences..
> Bob, what do you get if you..
> put the behavior of group "workingdatagridname" into tWorking
> put the behavior of group "nonworkingdatagridname" into tBroken
> get dicompare(the script of tWorking,tBroken,1)
> put it
>
> On Wed, Apr 18, 2018 at 8:53 AM, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> 1. Find a datagrid that does not exhibit the problem. In the message box
>> put:
>> put the behavior of group <working datagrid name"
>>
>> 2. Copy what's in the message
>>
>> 3. Go to the datagrid that is NOT working
>>
>> 4. In the message box type:
>> set the behavior of <the bad datagrid name> to <paste what you copied>
>>
>> Bob S
>>

>> > On Apr 17, 2018, at 23:36 , Terence Heaford via use-livecode <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > I’ve had a look at various behaviours but rather then make a mess of
>> everything can you give a blow by blow of your actions please.
>> >

>> > Thanks
>> >
>> > Terry

>> set the behavior of the datagrid that ISN'T working to that behavior. I'm
>> not sure why but there seem to be more than one datagrid behavior object
>> floating around.

Re: DataGrid Column Labels

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
All my tables just say

button id 1005 of stack "revDataGridLibrary"

Did the copy and paste thing and it did not work.

??

Terry

> On 18 Apr 2018, at 15:53, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> 2. Copy what's in the message

Re: DataGrid Column Labels

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
It’s weird but placing this in the preopenCard script sorts out the issue for now.

set the dgProp[ "column labels" ] of group  “myTable" to the dgProp[ "column labels" ] of group "myTable"

All the best

Terry

> On 18 Apr 2018, at 18:43, Terence Heaford via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> All my tables just say
>
> button id 1005 of stack "revDataGridLibrary"
>

> Did the copy and paste thing and it did not work.
>
> ??
>
> Terry
>
>> On 18 Apr 2018, at 15:53, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> 2. Copy what's in the message

Re: DataGrid Column Labels

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
Ah. My problem was that my datagrids had different objects when I checked. Probably because I have been working with this project since the v6 days.

BTW I replaced my datagrids which were showing non-3D column labels with fresh ones and they look fine now. I have 2 scripts that help me with this. They do not account for custom properties though. I need to update them to account for that:

on saveDatagrid pDataGrid
   if pDatagrid is empty then
      put the short name of the selectedObject into pDataGrid
   end if

   if not there is a group pDataGrid then
      put "Invalid arguement. pDataGrid must be the name of a datagrid in the current stack." into mmsg
      answer info mmsg as sheet
      exit saveDatagrid
   end if

   put the short name of group pDataGrid into aSavedDataGrids [pDataGrid]["name"]
   put the height of group pDataGrid into aSavedDataGrids [pDataGrid]["height"]
   put the width of group pDataGrid into aSavedDataGrids [pDataGrid]["width"]
   put the loc of group pDataGrid into aSavedDataGrids [pDataGrid]["loc"]
   put the script of group pDataGrid into aSavedDataGrids [pDataGrid]["script"]
   put the dgprop ["columns"] of group pDataGrid into aSavedDataGrids [pDataGrid]["columns"]
   put the dgprop ["column labels"] of group pDataGrid into aSavedDataGrids [pDataGrid]["column labels"]
   put the dgprop ["column widths"] of group pDataGrid into aSavedDataGrids [pDataGrid]["column widths"]
   put the dgprop ["allow editing"] of group pDataGrid into aSavedDataGrids [pDataGrid]["allow editing"]
   put the dgProp ["multiple lines"] of group pDataGrid into aSavedDataGrids [pDataGrid]["multiple lines"]
   put getParentStack(the long id of group pDataGrid) into tThisStack
   set the pSavedDataGrids of tThisStack to  aSavedDataGrids
end saveDatagrid

on restoreDataGrid pDataGrid
   put getParentStack(the long id of group pDataGrid) into tThisStack
   put the pSavedDataGrids of tThisStack into  aSavedDataGrids

   if aSavedDataGrids is not an array then
      answer info "Invalid arguement. pDataGrid must be an array." as sheet
      exit restoreDataGrid
   end if

   if there is a group pDataGrid then delete group pDataGrid
   copy group "DataGrid" of group "Templates" of stack "revDataGridLibrary" to tThisStack
   put it into tDataGridRef
   set the name of tDataGridRef to aSavedDataGrids [pDataGrid]["name"]
   set the height of group pDataGrid to aSavedDataGrids [pDataGrid]["height"]
   set the width of group pDataGrid to aSavedDataGrids [pDataGrid]["width"]
   set the loc of group pDataGrid to aSavedDataGrids [pDataGrid]["loc"]
   set the script of group pDataGrid to aSavedDataGrids [pDataGrid]["script"]
   set the dgprop ["columns"] of group pDataGrid to aSavedDataGrids [pDataGrid]["columns"]
   set the dgprop ["column labels"] of group pDataGrid to aSavedDataGrids [pDataGrid]["column labels"]
   set the dgprop ["column widths"] of group pDataGrid to aSavedDataGrids [pDataGrid]["column widths"]
   set the dgprop ["allow editing"] of group pDataGrid to aSavedDataGrids [pDataGrid]["allow editing"]
   set the dgProp ["multiple lines"] of group pDataGrid to aSavedDataGrids [pDataGrid]["multiple lines"]
end restoreDataGrid

Bob S