Delete element from array

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
how do you remove a key from an array?

Re: Delete element from array

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
delete variable tMyArray["this key"]

On 1/24/17 6:54 PM, Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami via use-livecode wrote:
> how do you remove a key from an array?

Phil Davis

Re: Delete element from array

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
delete variable aArrayName ["Element"]

Bob S

> On Jan 24, 2017, at 18:54 , Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> how do you remove a key from an array?

Re: Delete element from array

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
Thank. Yes.. it is there in the dictionary but I glossed over it somehow. Not sure the new dictionary is an improvement of the one we had all these years…

@Bernd: is your dictionary plug in working in the latest 8+ versions of LC?

On 1/24/17, 5:04 PM, "use-livecode on behalf of Phil Davis via use-livecode" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

    delete variable tMyArray["this key"]

Re: Delete element from array

BNig
@Bernd: is your dictionary plug in working in the latest 8+ versions of LC?
That is Björnke who did the plug in.

Kind regards
Bernd

Re: Delete element from array

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
Hi Brahma,
Goes without saying perhaps but it would be extremely helpful if you could
articulate *why* you find this information harder to come by in the current
dictionary. Thanks!

On Thu, 26 Jan 2017 at 20:37, BNig via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> @Bernd: is your dictionary plug in working in the latest 8+ versions of
> LC?

That is Björnke who did the plug in.

Kind regards
Bernd

Re: Delete element from array

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
Others can please chime in here… I'm not sure exactly why the new dictionary is "irritating" but it is.

let's say I want to see all the properties for buttons. I think the old dictionary gave us that option.

Now if I click on "association "button"  and click type "properties" I get the button props, but the top window on the right only shows a only a few

there was a view in the older dictionary that had a much longer list… I would prefer myself a left column that was really long so I can see at a glance all the props that the vertical column height will allow, depending on how the user has the window sized… and the definitions on the right take up the whole vertical space i.e. split window horizontally.

IMHO we get:
1) to see a longer list of dictionary entries with out scrolling and
 2) can read more of the definition without scrolling.  to conserve screen space I could narrow the window and the definition area on the right panel would narrow responsively.

OK now if I type "htmltext" into the search, it comes up empty… why? well of course… I am now "stuck" in

associations: "button"
type: "property"

I'm scratching my head… what is happening?  Let's say I have a misconception that htmltext has something to do with buttons (it does not, but newbies will not know that) so I'm just stuck… my search gave me nothing.. I'm trying to understand buttons.  the right and left arrow don’t do anything…

In the far left column you need a "clear" button or something… I could click that, and then my search for "htmltext" would return results (without having to type again.)  Only now as I test did I discover that the way to dismiss the filters is to click on the filter label "button" or "properties" to "back out" of where you are… that is UI "mysterious hidden behavior" that breaks all the rules for any good UI design… at least put a small X  top the right of each filter or a "clear all" or something.  I don't mind a few "mystery meat" icons… any 8 year old today just clicks on everything.. but you don't even have a control to reset the space back to "top..

OK so I dismiss the filters on the left (but inadvertently leave my search string  "htmlText" in the box top right) click on group filter, database list of terms is empty… Oh.. .duh I have to go up and manually delete my search string…*now* the list appears again..

Then there's the two little arrows at the top next ot a clock… what do they do? hmm, I go to  control structure filter… click on  the left arrow at the top and takes me to "revCloseCursor"  Why?  Oh wait, I guess that was my previous view…

It just feels more like a "burden" now to look for information. Perhaps others with more UI/UX experience can offer thoughts on this.  I'm using it more and more now that I'm away from server side code and code the UI again (too much fun…) Maybe its just me… and I need to "get used to it" like riding a motor cycle instead of a bike….

On 1/26/17, 1:32 PM, "use-livecode on behalf of Ali Lloyd via use-livecode" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

    Hi Brahma,
    Goes without saying perhaps but it would be extremely helpful if you could
    articulate *why* you find this information harder to come by in the current
    dictionary. Thanks!

Re: Delete element from array

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
On Thu, Jan 26, 2017 at 3:32 PM, Ali Lloyd via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Goes without saying perhaps but it would be extremely helpful if you could
> articulate *why* you find this information harder to come by in the current
> dictionary. Thanks!

The new dictionary, like the project browser, is targeted to people who
think exactly that way, and access things in that pointy-clicky way.

And even then, pulldown for categories rather than clicking.

Those of us that run the other way in accessing a UI will *never* find this
approach an adequate replacement.

I suspect the preference for the larger amount of *actual* information that
could be displayed in the older forms will run with this preference, too.

--
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
(702) 508-8462

Dr. Hawkins wrote:

 > The new dictionary, like the project browser, is targeted to people
 > who think exactly that way, and access things in that pointy-clicky
 > way.
 >
 > And even then, pulldown for categories rather than clicking.
 >
 > Those of us that run the other way in accessing a UI will *never*
 > find this approach an adequate replacement.

What is "the other way?"

I almost never click anything other than results from the search list.
I open the Dict window, type my query, review the results.

What would we do to improve this?

FWIW, I've not really been fond of any Dictionary since MetaCard's.
Even then I didn't really like it all that much, and worked with Jacque
and some others to make a replacement.

The current Dictionary content is in wonderfully well-separated array
files, making it easier than ever for third parties to use existing
internal APIs to deliver the content in any form we choose.

Anyone up for making a new Dictionary using native (non-web-based) LiveCode?

Would take some work, but very doable.

Re: Delete element from array

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
On Fri, Jan 27, 2017 at 8:55 AM, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> What is "the other way?"
>
> I almost never click anything other than results from the search list. I
> open the Dict window, type my query, review the results.
>
> What would we do to improve this?

In 7, you can click on the side to narrow, but the default is "all"

In 8, it's a pull-down button, and as near as I can tell, there is nothing
resembling "all"

7 could also filter to sub levels by clicking the triangles for the
subcategories.

--
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
(702) 508-8462

Dr. Hawkins wrote:

On Fri, Jan 27, 2017 at 8:55 AM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

 >> What is "the other way?"
 >>
 >> I almost never click anything other than results from the search
 >> list. I open the Dict window, type my query, review the results.
 >>
 >> What would we do to improve this?
 >
 > In 7, you can click on the side to narrow, but the default is "all"
 >
 > In 8, it's a pull-down button, and as near as I can tell, there is
 > nothing resembling "all"
 >
 > 7 could also filter to sub levels by clicking the triangles for the
 > subcategories.

I see, thanks.

Aooarently the filters act as toggles.  When you select one a button
with that name appears, which can later be clicked to remove it.  So
after applying filters, removing all of them will return to "all".

LiveCode is a pretty good toolkit for building UIs.  In my experience
far less work for desktop GUUs than using HTML/CSS.

Maybe we can use LC to make a great Dictionary UI?

Re: Delete element from array

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
I'm game to play with this… I need it

where are these array files?

Do we want to change the thread subject to "Dictionary Improvements"

On 1/27/17, 6:55 AM, "use-livecode on behalf of Richard Gaskin via use-livecode" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

    The current Dictionary content is in wonderfully well-separated array
    files, making it easier than ever for third parties to use existing
    internal APIs to deliver the content in any form we choose.

Community Dictionary (was Re: Delete element from array)

Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami wrote:

 > On 1/27/17, 6:55 AM, "use-livecode on behalf of Richard Gaskin wrote:
 >> The current Dictionary content is in wonderfully well-separated array
 >> files, making it easier than ever for third parties to use existing
 >> internal APIs to deliver the content in any form we choose.
 >
 > I'm game to play with this… I need it
 >
 > where are these array files?
 >
 > Do we want to change the thread subject to "Dictionary Improvements"

I've chosen "Community Dictionary".  Run with it or change it as you
like.  Better still, perhaps create a forum thread so the conversation
is less ephemeral.

I used the wrong term with "files".  The actual files on disk at SQLite.
  The API (Dictionary) data is at:

<livecode>/Documentation/resources/data/api/api.sqlite

Somewhere a couple months ago I posted the IDE handlers for obtaining
the array of data associated with a keyword.

I don't recall it offhand, but easily findable by exploring the Script
Editor's "Documentation" pane.

The array itself is quite nicely constructed, with the keyword, its
params, param types, definition, examples, see also, and more all
accessible within it.

Slow Sockets on Mac

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
I'm transferring 40mb over sockets a chunk at a time. The receiver is on a Win 10 Pro Hyper-V Host using LC 8.2.1. The sender uses LC 8.2.1 also.
Sender on a Win10 Host==> 10 seconds
Sender on a Win10 Pro VM==> 10 seconds
Sender on a Win10 Home VM==> 10 seconds
Sender on a 64 bit Linux VM==> 10 seconds
Sender on a Win XP PC==> 10 seconds
Sender on MacBook Pro OS X 10.11==> 60 seconds.

All(except the VMs) have 1000mb nics connected via a 1000mb switch. An increase of 600% makes me think I'm missing something. Anyone else seen this?

Thanks!

Ralph DiMola
IT Director
Evergreen Information Services

Re: Community Dictionary (was Re: Delete element from array)

Richard Gaskin wrote:

    <livecode>/Documentation/resources/data/api/api.sqlite

Oh boy, gonna have fun with that!

BR

Re: Delete element from array

jameshale
Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode wrote
Others can please chime in here… I'm not sure exactly why the new dictionary is "irritating" but it is.

let's say I want to see all the properties for buttons. I think the old dictionary gave us that option.

Now if I click on "association "button"  and click type "properties" I get the button props, but the top window on the right only shows a only a few
Not sure what you mean. When I click on the Type "properties" and Associations "Button" I get a list of 116 item in the top right hand window of the dictionary. Of course only the first 22 are showing and to see the rest I need to scroll the list. Perhaps if the font was smaller you would see more items at one time but to say they are not all there. If you compare the LC8 with the LC6 dictionary under these circumstances you will notice the absence of some items. As far as I can tell they appear to be synonyms for existing terms. For example the entry for "accelKey" is not in LC8+ as a seperate entry but is listed as a synonym for "acceleratorKey".

Typing "accel" into the search box on LC6 will display 6 items. On LC8 only 3 as the extra 3 items under LC6 are synonyms of the three items shared with LC8+.

So I guess on change to bring the LC8+ dictionary up to par with the old one would be to duplicate all the entries that are synonyms. Not sure if that would be wise, although having synonyms show up would be nice.

Re: Community Dictionary (was Re: Delete element from array)

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
Do me a favor, please, and post to the thread I already started on the
forum.

I also have a bug report that I started on this, that I suppose you could
contribute to, but I would think that first the forum would be the place to
go, until we have some firm things, so The Team doesn't have even more
stuff to read when they should be writing.

On Sat, Jan 28, 2017 at 12:03 AM, Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami via
use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Richard Gaskin wrote:
>
>     <livecode>/Documentation/resources/data/api/api.sqlite
>
> Oh boy, gonna have fun with that!
>
> BR

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Re: Community Dictionary (was Re: Delete element from array)

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
Also, over there, I have included a list of bug reports that I found that
seem to be relevant.  If you have submitted a bug report for *the way the
dictionary works*  (not for an entry being incorrect or requiring
modification, because that is a separate, but eventually related project),
please weigh in so we can add it to the list.

On Mon, Jan 30, 2017 at 12:00 PM, Mike Kerner <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Do me a favor, please, and post to the thread I already started on the
> forum.
> http://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=28731
>
> I also have a bug report that I started on this, that I suppose you could
> contribute to, but I would think that first the forum would be the place to
> go, until we have some firm things, so The Team doesn't have even more
> stuff to read when they should be writing.
>
> On Sat, Jan 28, 2017 at 12:03 AM, Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami via
> use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Richard Gaskin wrote:
>>
>>     <livecode>/Documentation/resources/data/api/api.sqlite
>>
>> Oh boy, gonna have fun with that!
>>
>> BR

>    and did a little diving.
> And God said, "This is good."

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Re: Community Dictionary (was Re: Delete element from array)

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
Everyone,
Have a look at what Bernd has done.  Again, the thread is
http://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=28731&p=151678#p151678

On Mon, Jan 30, 2017 at 9:10 PM, Mike Kerner <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Also, over there, I have included a list of bug reports that I found that
> seem to be relevant.  If you have submitted a bug report for *the way the
> dictionary works*  (not for an entry being incorrect or requiring
> modification, because that is a separate, but eventually related project),
> please weigh in so we can add it to the list.
>
> On Mon, Jan 30, 2017 at 12:00 PM, Mike Kerner <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Do me a favor, please, and post to the thread I already started on the
>> forum.
>> http://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=28731
>>
>> I also have a bug report that I started on this, that I suppose you could
>> contribute to, but I would think that first the forum would be the place to
>> go, until we have some firm things, so The Team doesn't have even more
>> stuff to read when they should be writing.
>>
>> On Sat, Jan 28, 2017 at 12:03 AM, Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami via
>> use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Richard Gaskin wrote:
>>>
>>>     <livecode>/Documentation/resources/data/api/api.sqlite
>>>
>>> Oh boy, gonna have fun with that!
>>>
>>> BR

>> On the first day, God created the heavens and the Earth
>> On the second day, God created the oceans.
>> On the third day, God put the animals on hold for a few hours,
>>    and did a little diving.
>> And God said, "This is good."

>    and did a little diving.
> And God said, "This is good."

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Re: Community Dictionary (was Re: Delete element from array)

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
Very nice! I think I'll start using it as my primary docs UI and see if
there's anything I wish it had in addition. I love the simplicity of it.

Phil Davis

--
Phil Davis