Deploying to Android (Amazon Fire 7)

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
OK, I've been round the various circles (Lessons, Forum trails, etc.) but I'm completely confused!

On my Mac, I've tried installing Java SDK 8.144, Android Studio 2.3.3 and set up LC 8.1.6 to point at the Android root.  However, I can't see how I get to specify an Android device - a previous Android SDK had menu options for this, but the Studio doesn't seem to offer this without diving into a new project.

I'm a simple animal who needs a straightforward list of things to do in sequence.  I'm trying to do the following:

1. For me, install whatever I need to be able to develop Android apps on my Mac (macOS Sierra 10.12.6), with LiveCode 8.1.6 Business.
2. For a friend running Windows 7 64-bit, install whatever they need to be able to develop Android apps with LiveCode 8.1.6 Community.

In both cases, the target device is the latest spec. Amazon Fire 7 Tablet (2017).  For my friend, this is their 1st go at programming and I've persuaded them to try LiveCode, with me setting it up for them and providing tutoring support.  Between us, we're hoping to develop a very simple app to help aged relatives and friends.

LiveCode emphasises ease and speed of development, which I agree with over the 18 years I've used it (almost completely desktop/laptop developments).  However, getting set up for mobile development is confusing, tedious and tortuous!

Please can someone give me 2 step-by-step guides for these 2 development facilities.

Thanks

Peter
--
Peter Reid
Loughborough, UK

Re: Deploying to Android (Amazon Fire 7)

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
Hi Peter,

Are you able to produce the android standalone file?

I just copy that file to my android device and click on it to install it. I find it much easier than iOS.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Sep 5, 2017, at 4:56 AM, Peter Reid via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> OK, I've been round the various circles (Lessons, Forum trails, etc.) but I'm completely confused!
>
> On my Mac, I've tried installing Java SDK 8.144, Android Studio 2.3.3 and set up LC 8.1.6 to point at the Android root.  However, I can't see how I get to specify an Android device - a previous Android SDK had menu options for this, but the Studio doesn't seem to offer this without diving into a new project.
>
> I'm a simple animal who needs a straightforward list of things to do in sequence.  I'm trying to do the following:
>
> 1. For me, install whatever I need to be able to develop Android apps on my Mac (macOS Sierra 10.12.6), with LiveCode 8.1.6 Business.
> 2. For a friend running Windows 7 64-bit, install whatever they need to be able to develop Android apps with LiveCode 8.1.6 Community.
>
> In both cases, the target device is the latest spec. Amazon Fire 7 Tablet (2017).  For my friend, this is their 1st go at programming and I've persuaded them to try LiveCode, with me setting it up for them and providing tutoring support.  Between us, we're hoping to develop a very simple app to help aged relatives and friends.
>
> LiveCode emphasises ease and speed of development, which I agree with over the 18 years I've used it (almost completely desktop/laptop developments).  However, getting set up for mobile development is confusing, tedious and tortuous!
>
> Please can someone give me 2 step-by-step guides for these 2 development facilities.
>
> Thanks
>
> Peter
> --
> Peter Reid
> Loughborough, UK

Re: Deploying to Android (Amazon Fire 7)

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
A few more pointers:

You need to have Android File Transfer installed on your Mac.

You need to put the android device into developer mode. You can find instructions for this online.

When you connect the device to a Mac you need to go into the settings in Android and change the setting for the connection from charging to file transfer.

After you are in developer mode and after you have set it to allow file transfers, drag the Android standalone file from your Mac finder app into a convenient folder in the Android File Transfer app.

In the Android device, open up the Amy Files app and click on the file you transferred. This will install the app. You can run it from there.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Sep 5, 2017, at 6:22 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> Hi Peter,
>
> Are you able to produce the android standalone file?
>
> I just copy that file to my android device and click on it to install it. I find it much easier than iOS.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Sep 5, 2017, at 4:56 AM, Peter Reid via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> OK, I've been round the various circles (Lessons, Forum trails, etc.) but I'm completely confused!
>>
>> On my Mac, I've tried installing Java SDK 8.144, Android Studio 2.3.3 and set up LC 8.1.6 to point at the Android root.  However, I can't see how I get to specify an Android device - a previous Android SDK had menu options for this, but the Studio doesn't seem to offer this without diving into a new project.
>>
>> I'm a simple animal who needs a straightforward list of things to do in sequence.  I'm trying to do the following:
>>
>> 1. For me, install whatever I need to be able to develop Android apps on my Mac (macOS Sierra 10.12.6), with LiveCode 8.1.6 Business.
>> 2. For a friend running Windows 7 64-bit, install whatever they need to be able to develop Android apps with LiveCode 8.1.6 Community.
>>
>> In both cases, the target device is the latest spec. Amazon Fire 7 Tablet (2017).  For my friend, this is their 1st go at programming and I've persuaded them to try LiveCode, with me setting it up for them and providing tutoring support.  Between us, we're hoping to develop a very simple app to help aged relatives and friends.
>>
>> LiveCode emphasises ease and speed of development, which I agree with over the 18 years I've used it (almost completely desktop/laptop developments).  However, getting set up for mobile development is confusing, tedious and tortuous!
>>
>> Please can someone give me 2 step-by-step guides for these 2 development facilities.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Peter
>> --
>> Peter Reid
>> Loughborough, UK

Re: Deploying to Android (Amazon Fire 7)

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
That last paragraph should say "My Files app" not "Amy Files app"

Sent from my iPhone

> On Sep 5, 2017, at 7:11 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> A few more pointers:
>
> You need to have Android File Transfer installed on your Mac.
>
> You need to put the android device into developer mode. You can find instructions for this online.
>
> When you connect the device to a Mac you need to go into the settings in Android and change the setting for the connection from charging to file transfer.
>
> After you are in developer mode and after you have set it to allow file transfers, drag the Android standalone file from your Mac finder app into a convenient folder in the Android File Transfer app.
>
> In the Android device, open up the Amy Files app and click on the file you transferred. This will install the app. You can run it from there.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Sep 5, 2017, at 6:22 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
>>
>> Hi Peter,
>>
>> Are you able to produce the android standalone file?
>>
>> I just copy that file to my android device and click on it to install it. I find it much easier than iOS.
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>> On Sep 5, 2017, at 4:56 AM, Peter Reid via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> OK, I've been round the various circles (Lessons, Forum trails, etc.) but I'm completely confused!
>>>
>>> On my Mac, I've tried installing Java SDK 8.144, Android Studio 2.3.3 and set up LC 8.1.6 to point at the Android root.  However, I can't see how I get to specify an Android device - a previous Android SDK had menu options for this, but the Studio doesn't seem to offer this without diving into a new project.
>>>
>>> I'm a simple animal who needs a straightforward list of things to do in sequence.  I'm trying to do the following:
>>>
>>> 1. For me, install whatever I need to be able to develop Android apps on my Mac (macOS Sierra 10.12.6), with LiveCode 8.1.6 Business.
>>> 2. For a friend running Windows 7 64-bit, install whatever they need to be able to develop Android apps with LiveCode 8.1.6 Community.
>>>
>>> In both cases, the target device is the latest spec. Amazon Fire 7 Tablet (2017).  For my friend, this is their 1st go at programming and I've persuaded them to try LiveCode, with me setting it up for them and providing tutoring support.  Between us, we're hoping to develop a very simple app to help aged relatives and friends.
>>>
>>> LiveCode emphasises ease and speed of development, which I agree with over the 18 years I've used it (almost completely desktop/laptop developments).  However, getting set up for mobile development is confusing, tedious and tortuous!
>>>
>>> Please can someone give me 2 step-by-step guides for these 2 development facilities.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Peter
>>> --
>>> Peter Reid
>>> Loughborough, UK

Re: Deploying to Android (Amazon Fire 7)

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
I don’t know for sure if it’s still needed, but here are the steps I wrote about, that were needed back then, to add Kindle Fire to ADB:

https://books.google.com/books?id=9lpx4JbMDrQC&pg=PT120&lpg=PT120&dq=colin+holgate+0x1949&source=bl&ots=rPkJGT8NQf&sig=PNo6PCRI1Hfl4d65-UTgRbpAgXg&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwis1LjVvI7WAhVHw2MKHUPCBhMQ6AEIPjAF#v=onepage&q=colin%20holgate%200x1949&f=false

When that loads you may need to scroll up a few lines to the start of that section.

Re: Deploying to Android (Amazon Fire 7)

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
If you don't want to install Android File Transfer you can also use a cloud
service like Dropbox to move the apk to the device.

On September 5, 2017 6:14:08 AM Jonathan Lynch via use-livecode
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>> (2017).  For my friend, this is their 1st go at programming and I've
>>> persuaded them to try LiveCode, with me setting it up for them and
>>> providing tutoring support.  Between us, we're hoping to develop a very
>>> simple app to help aged relatives and friends.
>>>
>>> LiveCode emphasises ease and speed of development, which I agree with over
>>> the 18 years I've used it (almost completely desktop/laptop developments).
>>> However, getting set up for mobile development is confusing, tedious and
>>> tortuous!
>>>
>>> Please can someone give me 2 step-by-step guides for these 2 development
>>> facilities.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Peter
>>> --
>>> Peter Reid
>>> Loughborough, UK

Re: Deploying to Android (Amazon Fire 7)

Hi Jonathan, Colin & Jacqueline

Thanks for the various suggestions.

On my Mac, I have installed the Java SDK 8.144 and Android Studio 2.3.3 together with Android File Transfer.  In LC 8.1.6 I have set up the reference to the Android SDK (/Users/peter/Library/Android/sdk/).  On my Amazon Fie 7 tablet, I have enabled Developer mode and EDB debugging.

With this set-up I am able to build an APK app package and copy the APK to the Downloads folder on the tablet.  If I tap open the APK file it offers to install it, with 2 apparently active buttons - Cancel and Install (both in the same colour orange text). The screen correctly list the facilities the app will need access to.  However, only the Cancel responds to a tap, the Install does nothing and says nothing!

Any suggestions as to how I get over this last hurdle?

Thanks

Peter
--
Peter Reid
Loughborough, UK

> [...]

>> After you are in developer mode and after you have set it to allow file transfers, drag the Android standalone file from your Mac finder app into a convenient folder in the Android File Transfer app.
>>
>> In the Android device, open up the Amy Files app and click on the file you transferred. This will install the app. You can run it from there.
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> ------------------------------
>>
>> Message: 3
>> Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2017 07:14:06 -0400
>> From: [hidden email]
>> To: How to use LiveCode <[hidden email]>
>> Subject: Re: Deploying to Android (Amazon Fire 7)
>>
>> That last paragraph should say "My Files app" not "Amy Files app"
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone

Re: Deploying to Android (Amazon Fire 7)

I don’t know the answer to your question, but as far as testing a LiveCode app on Android goes, I would use the Development menu, Test Target, Test, to try it on a connected Android device.

For installing an APK I would usually just post it online somewhere, that way I can try it on various devices without having to connect them, or even have them at all (it might be someone else doing the testing).

One odd thing you said, as far as I know Fire is always in developer mode.

> [...]
>>>
>>> After you are in developer mode and after you have set it to allow file transfers, drag the Android standalone file from your Mac finder app into a convenient folder in the Android File Transfer app.
>>>
>>> In the Android device, open up the Amy Files app and click on the file you transferred. This will install the app. You can run it from there.
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPhone
>>>
>>> ------------------------------
>>>
>>> Message: 3
>>> Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2017 07:14:06 -0400
>>> From: [hidden email]
>>> To: How to use LiveCode <[hidden email]>
>>> Subject: Re: Deploying to Android (Amazon Fire 7)
>>>
>>> That last paragraph should say "My Files app" not "Amy Files app"
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPhone

Re: Deploying to Android (Amazon Fire 7)

Peter,
If you try to install an apk to device using a different way than the Test
button, you have to make sure you have "Sign for Development only" in the
Android standalone settings.

Best
Panos