Display PDF on Android

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Display PDF on Android

Stephen Barncard via use-livecode
Hi all,

I just filed an enhancement request to give us a way to display (local) PFDs on Android!
<https://quality.livecode.com/show_bug.cgi?id=22521>

I think in 2020 it IS about time for this, especially since we will finally be able to
"print to PDF" in LC 9.6!


Best

Klaus

--
Klaus Major
https://www.major-k.de
[hidden email]


_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Display PDF on Android

Stephen Barncard via use-livecode
I though the XPDF widget works on all platforms, including Android?

You just need to have the appropriate licensed version of LC. Check with
LiveCode, Ltd.



On 1/5/2020 11:17 AM, Klaus major-k via use-livecode wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I just filed an enhancement request to give us a way to display (local) PFDs on Android!
> <https://quality.livecode.com/show_bug.cgi?id=22521>
>
> I think in 2020 it IS about time for this, especially since we will finally be able to
> "print to PDF" in LC 9.6!
>
>
> Best
>
> Klaus
>
> --
> Klaus Major
> https://www.major-k.de
> [hidden email]
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> use-livecode mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode


_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Display PDF on Android

Stephen Barncard via use-livecode
Hi Paul,

> Am 06.01.2020 um 17:02 schrieb Paul Dupuis via use-livecode <[hidden email]>:
>
> I though the XPDF widget works on all platforms, including Android?

It probably does, but see below...

> You just need to have the appropriate licensed version of LC. Check with LiveCode, Ltd.

This widget only comes with LC BUSINESS, not Indy!

> On 1/5/2020 11:17 AM, Klaus major-k via use-livecode wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I just filed an enhancement request to give us a way to display (local) PFDs on Android!
>> <https://quality.livecode.com/show_bug.cgi?id=22521>
>>
>> I think in 2020 it IS about time for this, especially since we will finally be able to
>> "print to PDF" in LC 9.6!

Best

Klaus

--
Klaus Major
https://www.major-k.de
[hidden email]


_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Display PDF on Android

Stephen Barncard via use-livecode
On 1/6/2020 11:28 AM, Klaus major-k via use-livecode wrote:
>
> You just need to have the appropriate licensed version of LC. Check with LiveCode, Ltd.
> This widget only comes with LC BUSINESS, not Indy!
>
>

Okay, then this (https://quality.livecode.com/show_bug.cgi?id=22521) is
not a really a technical enhancement request.

I would expect LC to have to spend time reviewing the Bugzilla entry to
then just make it as RESOLVED since XPDF widget is available for anyone
who pays for it. Making this an technical enhancement request just
doesn'tseem like the place for a licensing issue.

You would just like the XPDF widget for a lower cost (Indy pricing vs
Business pricing). That is entirely a licensing issue to discuss with
LiveCode, LTD. Ask them for a discount or a special package or something.

Not trying to be an A$$hole or anything, I just think you'd have more
success negotiating some way you can afford to use the XPDF widget.


_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Display PDF on Android

Stephen Barncard via use-livecode
I donĀ“t think that Klaus was just asking for himself, but for all developers with a lower license type than Business.

As long as the Android Browser does not support displaying PDF files, i think that request is a legitimate one.

But you are correct, that this is not a feature request.

Matthias

Matthias Rebbe

free tools for Livecoders:
InstaMaker <https://instamaker.dermattes.de/>
WinSignMaker Mac <https://winsignhelper.dermattes.de/>

> Am 06.01.2020 um 18:06 schrieb Paul Dupuis via use-livecode <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>
> On 1/6/2020 11:28 AM, Klaus major-k via use-livecode wrote:
>>
>> You just need to have the appropriate licensed version of LC. Check with LiveCode, Ltd.
>> This widget only comes with LC BUSINESS, not Indy!
>>
>>
>
> Okay, then this (https://quality.livecode.com/show_bug.cgi?id=22521 <https://quality.livecode.com/show_bug.cgi?id=22521>) is not a really a technical enhancement request.
>
> I would expect LC to have to spend time reviewing the Bugzilla entry to then just make it as RESOLVED since XPDF widget is available for anyone who pays for it. Making this an technical enhancement request just doesn'tseem like the place for a licensing issue.
>
> You would just like the XPDF widget for a lower cost (Indy pricing vs Business pricing). That is entirely a licensing issue to discuss with LiveCode, LTD. Ask them for a discount or a special package or something.
>
> Not trying to be an A$$hole or anything, I just think you'd have more success negotiating some way you can afford to use the XPDF widget.
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> use-livecode mailing list
> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode

_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Display PDF on Android

Stephen Barncard via use-livecode
In reply to this post by Stephen Barncard via use-livecode
Hi Paul,

> Am 06.01.2020 um 18:06 schrieb Paul Dupuis via use-livecode <[hidden email]>:
>
> On 1/6/2020 11:28 AM, Klaus major-k via use-livecode wrote:
>>
>> You just need to have the appropriate licensed version of LC. Check with LiveCode, Ltd.
>> This widget only comes with LC BUSINESS, not Indy!
> Okay, then this (https://quality.livecode.com/show_bug.cgi?id=22521) is not a really a technical enhancement request.

OK, maybe, but the message should be clear.

> I would expect LC to have to spend time reviewing the Bugzilla entry to then just make it as RESOLVED since XPDF widget is available for anyone who pays for it. Making this an technical enhancement request just doesn'tseem like the place for a licensing issue.
>
> You would just like the XPDF widget for a lower cost (Indy pricing vs Business pricing). That is entirely a licensing issue to discuss with LiveCode, LTD. Ask them for a discount or a special package or something.
>
> Not trying to be an A$$hole or anything, I just think you'd have more success negotiating some way you can afford to use the XPDF widget.

I personally do not need this widget, I don't own any mobile device, be it a cellphone or table,
and I am not developing for the mobile platform. :-)

I am just interested in an adequate user experience for everyone using the mobile paltform!
some of the folks I am mentoring actually need this.

Right now some of them are maintaining two version of the app (HAVE TO!):
One for iOS, where we can print to and display PDF with build-in means, but the Android version
can not print to PDF, we need to use a PNG, same for displaying data.

I don't this this does look very professional in 2020.

And I think it is paradox that we can print to PDF on Android in LC 9.6 but still cannot display the
generated PDF file!


Best

Klaus
--
Klaus Major
https://www.major-k.de
[hidden email]


_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: Display PDF on Android

Stephen Barncard via use-livecode
In reply to this post by Stephen Barncard via use-livecode
Before the PDF Widget was available I used pdfjs(github) with the browser
widget. It's a decent PDF viewer. It does not work directly in the IDE
because one can't open local files on a desktop browser. This is NOT a
restriction on Android so pdfjs works on mobile(including iOS). I used a
local web server for testing in the IDE using pdfjs before the browser
widget was released. The other problem is that the Android OS does not open
PDFs natively. I see this as an Android not an LC issue. If you browse to a
PDF in say... Chrome, the PDF is downloaded and then Android user must
supply a PDF reader. In 2020 I find this ridicules. To get around this in LC
one must intercept the PDF URL and download it to the local storage and the
display using either pdfjs or the PDF Widget.

Fun and Games!

Ralph DiMola
IT Director
Evergreen Information Services
[hidden email]

-----Original Message-----
From: use-livecode [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf
Of Paul Dupuis via use-livecode
Sent: Monday, January 06, 2020 12:07 PM
To: [hidden email]
Cc: Paul Dupuis
Subject: Re: Display PDF on Android

On 1/6/2020 11:28 AM, Klaus major-k via use-livecode wrote:
>
> You just need to have the appropriate licensed version of LC. Check with
LiveCode, Ltd.
> This widget only comes with LC BUSINESS, not Indy!
>
>

Okay, then this (https://quality.livecode.com/show_bug.cgi?id=22521) is not
a really a technical enhancement request.

I would expect LC to have to spend time reviewing the Bugzilla entry to then
just make it as RESOLVED since XPDF widget is available for anyone who pays
for it. Making this an technical enhancement request just doesn'tseem like
the place for a licensing issue.

You would just like the XPDF widget for a lower cost (Indy pricing vs
Business pricing). That is entirely a licensing issue to discuss with
LiveCode, LTD. Ask them for a discount or a special package or something.

Not trying to be an A$$hole or anything, I just think you'd have more
success negotiating some way you can afford to use the XPDF widget.


_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription
preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode


_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Display PDF on Android

Stephen Barncard via use-livecode
Ralph DiMola wrote:

 > ...because one can't open local files on a desktop browser.

Oh?  Most browsers except Firefox won't execute JavaScript from local
files, but PFDs open in Firefox and Chrome here just fine.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems
  Software Design and Development for the Desktop, Mobile, and the Web
  ____________________________________________________________________
  [hidden email]                http://www.FourthWorld.com


_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: Display PDF on Android

Stephen Barncard via use-livecode
Correct, I misspoke. Running the JavaScript is the limitation on most
desktop browsers. The reason for setting up the local web server is to be
able to test pdfjs in the IDE. The browser widget  is a Chromium codebase.
This way one can tweak pdfjs and test in the IDE before deploying to
Android.

Ralph DiMola
IT Director
Evergreen Information Services
[hidden email]


-----Original Message-----
From: use-livecode [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf
Of Richard Gaskin via use-livecode
Sent: Monday, January 06, 2020 2:54 PM
To: [hidden email]
Cc: Richard Gaskin
Subject: Re: Display PDF on Android

Ralph DiMola wrote:

 > ...because one can't open local files on a desktop browser.

Oh?  Most browsers except Firefox won't execute JavaScript from local files,
but PFDs open in Firefox and Chrome here just fine.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems
  Software Design and Development for the Desktop, Mobile, and the Web
  ____________________________________________________________________
  [hidden email]                http://www.FourthWorld.com


_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription
preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode


_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode