Do You Sell Commercial Plugins?

Lynn Fredricks
http://www.digitalpilon.com/bb/viewforum.php?f=3

Yesterday there was a very interesting flare up on the REALbasic mailing
list after the surprise death of a third party component company. A project
of ours (at Paradigma) that was sitting on a back burner was to set up a
tools site for digital designers and developers - a news, resource and forum
site for those who work in cross-discipline markets (cross-platform, mixed
media, etc). We went ahead and set up the forum part sooner rather than
later because of third party market concerns.

After we set up the REALbasic Add-ons and Plugins forum on Digital Pilon (as
soon as you are ready, we can get a Revolution one up as well), I started to
think we should have a specific one dealing with the business end of
creating and selling these types of products - writing and selling plugins
has some unique challenges. I invite you to participate.

Ive also posted a short article about some general plugin types from a
business perspective and how to avoid conflict with the "master vendor".
Since Valentina is available for so many development platforms (MSVS, xCode,
RB, Rev, Director, .net, etc), Ive been able to come up with a good list of
questions to ask yourself on how to avoid being stepped on and remaining
competitive. If this is of interest to you, I invite you to participate.

BTW, there isnt a public board policy set up yet - be kind and respectful in
the meantime :-)

Best regards,

Lynn Fredricks
President
Paradigma Software, Inc

Joining Worlds of Information

Deploy True Client-Server Database Solutions
Royalty Free with Valentina Developer Network
http://www.paradigmasoft.com

deleting multiple controls all at once

Josh Mellicker
Is there a way to delete a bunch of controls whose names match a
wildcard expression like "thing.?" or "thing.??" all at once elegantly?

example:

thing.23
thing.46
thing.4
thing.142

delete all controls named "thing." & ?? doesn't work :-)

Friends don't let friends do this:

        REPEAT with n = 1 to 300
             IF exists  ("thing." & n) THEN
                 delete "thing." & n
             END IF
       END REPEAT

:P

Re: deleting multiple controls all at once

Klaus major-k
Hi Josh,

> Is there a way to delete a bunch of controls whose names match a
> wildcard expression like "thing.?" or "thing.??" all at once
> elegantly?
>
> example:
>
> thing.23
> thing.46
> thing.4
> thing.142
>

> delete all controls named "thing." & ?? doesn't work :-)
>

> Friends don't let friends do this:
>
> REPEAT with n = 1 to 300
>             IF exists  ("thing." & n) THEN
>                 delete "thing." & n
>             END IF
>       END REPEAT

try this:

        REPEAT with n = 1 to 300
             IF exists(control ("thing." & n)) THEN
                 delete control("thing." & n)
             END IF
       END REPEAT

> :P

:-)

Regards

Klaus Major
[hidden email]
http://www.major-k.de

RE: deleting multiple controls all at once

MisterX
could be even faster if you did

repeat with n = 1 to 300
   try
     delete control ("thing." & n)
  end try
end repeat

who cares if it fails...

now, this obviously ignores the error but may prepare some debugging info or
do stuff for debugging. It would be handy to have a real ignore and end
ignore control statement in transcript for these cases... something that
just try and continues regardless of errors...

comments?

cheers
Xavier
http://monsieurx.com - doing the taoo ;)

>              IF exists(control ()) THEN
>                  delete control("thing." & n)
>              END IF
>        END REPEAT

Dick Kriesel
On 2/11/06 7:35 PM, "Josh Mellicker" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is there a way to delete a bunch of controls whose names match a
> wildcard expression like "thing.?" or "thing.??" all at once elegantly?
>
> example:
>
> thing.23
> thing.46
> thing.4
> thing.142
>

> delete all controls named "thing." & ?? doesn't work :-)
>

> Friends don't let friends do this:
>
> REPEAT with n = 1 to 300
>              IF exists  ("thing." & n) THEN
>                  delete "thing." & n
>              END IF
>        END REPEAT
>
> :P

If 300 isn't a meaningful number for your app, then you can do without it:

repeat with n = number of controls down to 1
  if char 1 to 6 of the short name of control n is "thing." then
    delete control n
  end if
end repeat

-- Dick

RE: deleting multiple controls all at once

MisterX

Dick

your loop works faster IF the number of controls < the number of "thing"
controls.

otherwise it will take longuer.

what's needed here is a control

create all your controls in a  group "things".

Then it's easier to delete group n controls in a group than among other
controls.

repeat while there is a contorl 1 of grp "things"
  delete control 1 of group "things"
end repeat

or even better

delete group "things"

cheers
Xavier
http://monsieurx.com

> If 300 isn't a meaningful number for your app, then you can
> do without it:
>
> repeat with n = number of controls down to 1
>   if char 1 to 6 of the short name of control n is "thing." then
>     delete control n
>   end if
> end repeat
>
> -- Dick

Re: deleting multiple controls all at once

Rob Cozens
All,

>> REPEAT with n = 1 to 300
>>             IF exists  ("thing." & n) THEN
>>                 delete "thing." & n
>>             END IF
>>       END REPEAT

All solutions posted so far neglect to take into account that the
number of a control changes when a control with a lower number is
deleted.

        repeat with n = 300 down to 1

Rob Cozens
CCW, Serendipity Software Company

RE: deleting multiple controls all at once

MisterX
Hi Rob

no if we delete "named" buttons...
;)

cheers
Xavier

Xavier, et al:

> no if we delete "named" buttons...

My mistake, sorry.

My assumption (though the original post isn't clear on the "why"):

        These are "temporary" controls created at runtime

My alternatives (if my assumption is correct):

        * Create the controls in a standalone -- where they're deleted
automatically on quitting, or

        * Maintain a list of the ids (or names) of the controls as they are
created and delete from that list.

Rob Cozens
CCW, Serendipity Software Company

Re: deleting multiple controls all at once

Josh Mellicker
Thanks for all the answers, especially the ones that say if I need a
command like this my overall approach needs to change, which I
believe is indeed the case.

Thanks!

On Feb 13, 2006, at 8:26 AM, Rob Cozens wrote:

> Xavier, et al:
>
>> no if we delete "named" buttons...
>
> My mistake, sorry.
>
> My assumption (though the original post isn't clear on the "why"):
>
> These are "temporary" controls created at runtime
>
> My alternatives (if my assumption is correct):
>
> * Create the controls in a standalone -- where they're deleted
> automatically on quitting, or
>
> * Maintain a list of the ids (or names) of the controls as they
> are created and delete from that list.
>
> Rob Cozens
> CCW, Serendipity Software Company
>
> "And I, which was two fooles, do so grow three;
> Who are a little wise, the best fooles bee."
>
> from "The Triple Foole" by John Donne (1572-1631)

Re: deleting multiple controls all at once

Rob Cozens
Hi Josh,

> if I need a command like this my overall approach needs to change

One can remove _all_ controls created since a stack was opened (or
saved--whichever comes last) by simply removing the stack from RAM
without saving it.

If a stack's destroyStack property is true, simply closing the stack
removes it from RAM; otherwise one must quit RunRev or the standalone
to remove the stack from RAM.