Docker

Trevor DeVore via use-livecode
Hoping someone can help me shortcut this..
If I start with an alpine image, what things do I need to add so that LC
executables will run?  (using the -ui flag)
Or would I be better off starting with another base?   I'm looking to end
up with smallest possible docker that can do the job.

Re: Docker

Trevor DeVore via use-livecode
mike i'm really curious about what you are building to be running LC as a
(web?) service?  I've done some tests with that but i have yet to gain
complete clarity that I can use it the way I want ..... I've done some very
basic testing on a centos box on digital ocean.  my bash code loooked like
this before i got to the service

yum -y install fontconfig freetype freetype-devel fontconfig-devel libstdc++
yum -y install wget
yum install monit

thats all i needed to run it and i had successful connections....,(I
think....I also tested locally so i can't be sur)  but ran into trouble
when the requests went over a certain size then even my local running
standalone couldn't get the data that the request included. i was using the
httd library to accept and reply to requests.

so i'm curious about your experience with that when you get to it.

On Tue, Jul 10, 2018 at 2:18 PM, Mike Bonner via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hoping someone can help me shortcut this..
> If I start with an alpine image, what things do I need to add so that LC
> executables will run?  (using the -ui flag)
> Or would I be better off starting with another base?   I'm looking to end
> up with smallest possible docker that can do the job.

Re: Docker

Trevor DeVore via use-livecode
Mostly i'm looking to learn how things work, but the end goal is to a) have
a front lc based controller (httpd) that can hand off jobs to a pool of
docker "processors," and getting a handle on how to dynamically spin up
more instances based on demand.  (kubernetes?)  I don't know enough yet to
use the right words.  I could do all this exploration without lc, but it is
so much easier to put together whatever processors I want in lc, so that I
can spend most of my (limited) energy focusing on the docker side.

One thing I may try to set up..  I have an old HP z800, with 24 possible
threads, and I also have most of the (english) files from project
gutenberg. I'd like to process and index all those files into a searchable
database, using 24 docker images at once, each assigned to a core.  IE take
advantage of my knowledge of LC, while at the same time, bypassing its
single thread limitations.

I have a similar goal with a bunch of climate data from
https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/cdo-web/datatools that I want to use to calculate
worldwide temperature trends.  (Both of these things, as well as all the
docker stuff are over my head right now, but maybe I can close that gap.)

On 07/10/2018 02:40 PM, Mike Bonner via use-livecode wrote:
> Mostly i'm looking to learn how things work, but the end goal is to a) have
> a front lc based controller (httpd) that can hand off jobs to a pool of
> docker "processors," and getting a handle on how to dynamically spin up
> more instances based on demand.  (kubernetes?)  I don't know enough yet to

Kubernetes for sure.
This should get you started:

https://deis.com/blog/2016/kubernetes-illustrated-guide/

or if you prefer the video version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ht22ReBjno

Re: Docker

Trevor DeVore via use-livecode
Thank you!

On Tue, Jul 10, 2018 at 5:42 PM Mark Wieder via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 07/10/2018 02:40 PM, Mike Bonner via use-livecode wrote:
> > Mostly i'm looking to learn how things work, but the end goal is to a)
> have
> > a front lc based controller (httpd) that can hand off jobs to a pool of
> > docker "processors," and getting a handle on how to dynamically spin up
> > more instances based on demand.  (kubernetes?)  I don't know enough yet
>
> Kubernetes for sure.
> This should get you started:
>
> https://deis.com/blog/2016/kubernetes-illustrated-guide/
>
> or if you prefer the video version:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ht22ReBjno
>
> --
>   Mark Wieder
>   [hidden email]

Re: Docker

Trevor DeVore via use-livecode
Love that its a childrens guide. Definitely my speed.

On Tue, Jul 10, 2018 at 6:00 PM Mike Bonner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thank you!
>
> On Tue, Jul 10, 2018 at 5:42 PM Mark Wieder via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 07/10/2018 02:40 PM, Mike Bonner via use-livecode wrote:
>> > Mostly i'm looking to learn how things work, but the end goal is to a)
>> have
>> > a front lc based controller (httpd) that can hand off jobs to a pool of
>> > docker "processors," and getting a handle on how to dynamically spin up
>> > more instances based on demand.  (kubernetes?)  I don't know enough yet
>>
>> Kubernetes for sure.
>> This should get you started:
>>
>> https://deis.com/blog/2016/kubernetes-illustrated-guide/
>>
>> or if you prefer the video version:
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ht22ReBjno
>>
>> --
>>   Mark Wieder
>>   [hidden email]

Re: Docker

Trevor DeVore via use-livecode
https://hub.docker.com/r/techstrategies/livecode/

Re: Docker

Trevor DeVore via use-livecode
Way cool Mike....I hope you share your findings and experiments with us.

On a similar wavelength.....

I am preparing a demo on multi-core processing with LC for the september
conference.  Of course its not true multi-core processing ..... but hoping
to get good speed-ups results on a variety of tasks. Like search, api calls
& requests, and anything that can maximize cpu usage.  i need it for my own
work so its a great way of getting things done.

On Wed, Jul 11, 2018 at 12:08 AM, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> https://hub.docker.com/r/techstrategies/livecode/
>
> --
>  Richard Gaskin
>  Fourth World Systems

Re: Docker

Trevor DeVore via use-livecode
You may want to reserve a couple cores for the OS.

Bob S

> On Jul 10, 2018, at 14:40 , Mike Bonner via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Mostly i'm looking to learn how things work, but the end goal is to a) have
> a front lc based controller (httpd) that can hand off jobs to a pool of
> docker "processors," and getting a handle on how to dynamically spin up
> more instances based on demand.  (kubernetes?)  I don't know enough yet to
> use the right words.  I could do all this exploration without lc, but it is
> so much easier to put together whatever processors I want in lc, so that I
> can spend most of my (limited) energy focusing on the docker side.
>
> One thing I may try to set up..  I have an old HP z800, with 24 possible
> threads, and I also have most of the (english) files from project
> gutenberg. I'd like to process and index all those files into a searchable
> database, using 24 docker images at once, each assigned to a core.  IE take
> advantage of my knowledge of LC, while at the same time, bypassing its
> single thread limitations.

Re: Docker

Trevor DeVore via use-livecode
Cute. Sounds like sandboxing for clone processes.

Bob S

> On Jul 10, 2018, at 16:42 , Mark Wieder via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Kubernetes for sure.
> This should get you started:
>
> https://deis.com/blog/2016/kubernetes-illustrated-guide/

Re: Docker

Trevor DeVore via use-livecode
If I make any real progress, I'll definitely write things down.

Honestly, not sure how far I'll get, seems that every time I feel good
enough to resume working on projects, the bad health truck parks on my face
again. *grins from underneath a wheel* Wow what a morning I've been having.

Sorry for the whine.

On Wed, Jul 11, 2018 at 8:52 AM Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Cute. Sounds like sandboxing for clone processes.
>
> Bob S
>

> > On Jul 10, 2018, at 16:42 , Mark Wieder via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Kubernetes for sure.
> > This should get you started:
> >
> > https://deis.com/blog/2016/kubernetes-illustrated-guide/

Re: Docker

Trevor DeVore via use-livecode
I understand Mike .... wish you all the best in health and happiness....
and success with LC second.  Maybe there are things you can do .... invite
new ideas ... to try to help.   I study metaphysics and I've seen some very
unexpected connections between our physical health and the thoughts we
believe in .... I have had personal experience with that. Big subject, not
the right place.  email me if you are curious.

On 7/11/18 12:33 PM, Mike Bonner via use-livecode wrote:
> Sorry for the whine.

You've been here long enough that you're entitled to a whine. I believe
there's a participation quotient for those.

Re: Docker

Trevor DeVore via use-livecode
Someone needs to make a list..  How soon can one start to whine, or
obfuscate, or speak of cheese.  But I'm not sure how it would apply to
those who are temporally advantaged with access to the lost sock quark
gate.

On Wed, Jul 11, 2018 at 12:30 PM J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 7/11/18 12:33 PM, Mike Bonner via use-livecode wrote:
> > Sorry for the whine.
>
> You've been here long enough that you're entitled to a whine. I believe
> there's a participation quotient for those.

Re: Docker

Trevor DeVore via use-livecode
I'm not sure about the rest of it, but the temporally advantaged are not
eligible unless they actually find and deliver a lost sock.
Unfortunately that's a catch-22 because the list does not accept
enclosures, which is something I'd whine about if I had the chance.

On 7/11/18 1:39 PM, Mike Bonner via use-livecode wrote:

> Someone needs to make a list..  How soon can one start to whine, or
> obfuscate, or speak of cheese.  But I'm not sure how it would apply to
> those who are temporally advantaged with access to the lost sock quark
> gate.
>
> On Wed, Jul 11, 2018 at 12:30 PM J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 7/11/18 12:33 PM, Mike Bonner via use-livecode wrote:
>>> Sorry for the whine.
>>
>> You've been here long enough that you're entitled to a whine. I believe
>> there's a participation quotient for those.

Re: Docker

Trevor DeVore via use-livecode
Sounds like there is a need for a new Dropsock service so that socks can be
posted and shared freely. Or perhaps a bitSock system where those who are
advantaged can solve sock chain transactions, but it would require everyone
to set up a digital hamper to store any earned sock currency.   Next thing
we know, people will be daisy chaining dryer elements to increase their
sockchain computing power, pricing the rest of us out of the market.  Wet
sock wearing will be on the rise.

On Wed, Jul 11, 2018 at 1:53 PM J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm not sure about the rest of it, but the temporally advantaged are not
> eligible unless they actually find and deliver a lost sock.
> Unfortunately that's a catch-22 because the list does not accept
> enclosures, which is something I'd whine about if I had the chance.
>
> On 7/11/18 1:39 PM, Mike Bonner via use-livecode wrote:
> > Someone needs to make a list..  How soon can one start to whine, or
> > obfuscate, or speak of cheese.  But I'm not sure how it would apply to
> > those who are temporally advantaged with access to the lost sock quark
> > gate.
> >
> > On Wed, Jul 11, 2018 at 12:30 PM J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:

> >> You've been here long enough that you're entitled to a whine. I believe
> >> there's a participation quotient for those.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     [hidden email]
> >> HyperActive Software           |     http://www.hyperactivesw.com

Re: Docker

Trevor DeVore via use-livecode
I'd far rather make a list with a glass of wine in my hand rather than
a mouthful of whines.

Richmond.

On 11/7/2018 9:39 pm, Mike Bonner via use-livecode wrote:

> Someone needs to make a list..  How soon can one start to whine, or
> obfuscate, or speak of cheese.  But I'm not sure how it would apply to
> those who are temporally advantaged with access to the lost sock quark
> gate.
>
> On Wed, Jul 11, 2018 at 12:30 PM J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 7/11/18 12:33 PM, Mike Bonner via use-livecode wrote:
>>> Sorry for the whine.
>> You've been here long enough that you're entitled to a whine. I believe
>> there's a participation quotient for those.

Re: Docker

Trevor DeVore via use-livecode
That is a GREAT idea! Imagine a place where you can get money for all your one sock pairs! They send you a box, shipping is free, and then dwarves managed by troll overlords can match up as best they can all the socks they get!

Bob S

> On Jul 11, 2018, at 13:16 , Mike Bonner via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Sounds like there is a need for a new Dropsock service so that socks can be
> posted and shared freely. Or perhaps a bitSock system where those who are
> advantaged can solve sock chain transactions, but it would require everyone
> to set up a digital hamper to store any earned sock currency.   Next thing
> we know, people will be daisy chaining dryer elements to increase their
> sockchain computing power, pricing the rest of us out of the market.  Wet
> sock wearing will be on the rise.

Re: Docker

Trevor DeVore via use-livecode
The sock monster is real ....my family has been devastated by it for
years.  I don't find the subject particularly funny.

On Wed, Jul 11, 2018 at 5:27 PM, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> That is a GREAT idea! Imagine a place where you can get money for all your
> one sock pairs! They send you a box, shipping is free, and then dwarves
> managed by troll overlords can match up as best they can all the socks they
> get!
>
> Bob S
>

> > On Jul 11, 2018, at 13:16 , Mike Bonner via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Sounds like there is a need for a new Dropsock service so that socks can
> be
> > posted and shared freely. Or perhaps a bitSock system where those who are
> > advantaged can solve sock chain transactions, but it would require
> everyone
> > to set up a digital hamper to store any earned sock currency.   Next
> thing
> > we know, people will be daisy chaining dryer elements to increase their
> > sockchain computing power, pricing the rest of us out of the market.  Wet
> > sock wearing will be on the rise.

Re: Docker

Trevor DeVore via use-livecode
> That is a GREAT idea! Imagine a place where you can get money for all your one sock pairs! They send you a box, shipping is free, and then dwarves managed by troll overlords can match up as best they can all the socks they get!

Still to be solved, though, is the conundrum of a sockchain concensus
mechanism, i.e., the Byzantine Generals problem. You wouldn't want to
receive someone else's socks, or worse, a mixed pair.