Downloading LC9

ELS Prothero via use-livecode
Hi

I’ve been getting weird errors in MacOS (Catalina 10.15.7) where LC is saying there is a script error in a data grid of the startup window and also the script editor is not opening at all from any stack card or object. So I’ve decided to delete and reload LC. But the download is taking FOREVER. I’ve tried different browsers, restarting macOS, downloading via windows but I’m only getting 100kbps max. I did a speed test and have 300Mbps download capability but LC remains stupid slow.

Anyone else get this too?

Sean Cole
Pi Digital

Re: Downloading LC9

ELS Prothero via use-livecode
Hello Sean,

*>>>>>>and also the script editor is not opening at all from any stack card
or object*

this sounds like a symptom of corrupted Preferences, please try deleting
your LC preferences in /Users/{username}/Library/Preferences/RunRev/*

Regarding the slow download speed- seems to work fine for me here, maybe it
was an intermittent issue?

kind regards

Panos
-

On Mon, 16 Nov 2020 at 23:59, Pi Digital via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I’ve been getting weird errors in MacOS (Catalina 10.15.7) where LC is
> saying there is a script error in a data grid of the startup window and
> also the script editor is not opening at all from any stack card or object.
> So I’ve decided to delete and reload LC. But the download is taking
> FOREVER. I’ve tried different browsers, restarting macOS, downloading via
> windows but I’m only getting 100kbps max. I did a speed test and have
> 300Mbps download capability but LC remains stupid slow.
>
> Anyone else get this too?
>
> Sean Cole
> Pi Digital

Re: Downloading LC9

ELS Prothero via use-livecode
I am currently downloading LC 9.6.1 Business Mac with a download rate 3,7 - 4,5Mibt/s.

Or did you download an other version?.

Regards,
Matthias

Matthias Rebbe
Software & Support
Externer Datenschutz
Bramkampsieke 13
32312 Lübbecke
Tel +49 5741 310000
    +49 160 5504462
Fax: +49 5741 310002
eMail: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

BR5 Konverter - BR5 -> MP3 <https://www.matthiasrebbe.eu/software/brx/>

> Am 16.11.2020 um 22:58 schrieb Pi Digital via use-livecode <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>
> Hi
>
> I’ve been getting weird errors in MacOS (Catalina 10.15.7) where LC is saying there is a script error in a data grid of the startup window and also the script editor is not opening at all from any stack card or object. So I’ve decided to delete and reload LC. But the download is taking FOREVER. I’ve tried different browsers, restarting macOS, downloading via windows but I’m only getting 100kbps max. I did a speed test and have 300Mbps download capability but LC remains stupid slow.
>
> Anyone else get this too?
>
> Sean Cole
> Pi Digital

-
Matthias Rebbe
Life Is Too Short For Boring Code

Design Question

ELS Prothero via use-livecode
Folks,
I’m refining an application I used to teach Plate Tectonics when I was a working prof. The application’s core is access to Earth data (that scientists used to develop the theory of plate tectonics) and capturing and annotating plots that can be incorporated into student writing.

I am adding features that give the student (and teacher) more direction about how to use the material. The final student product would be some kind of short writeup with figures, that presents student results of their exploration using the data in the application. The major goal is to have students learn about the process of doing science and writing about their results.

However, I am thinking hard about how to proceed. It seems the effort to make this app work with learning management systems would be huge, something I’m definitely not up for. Yet, an assignment with text and figures needs to be packaged in some way that is easy for students to use, but can be transmitted to the teacher (who will make comments, assign a grade, and return it to the student) in some efficient way. What I’m thinking, at the simplest level, is to export the text and figures of the student’s work and let the student create a final product using word, Pages, google classroom, or some other application I haven’t thought about  but which they would normally have access to.

I’d love to have any of you teachers’ ideas and/or experience with great ways to proceed.

Thanks,
Bill

William A. Prothero
https://earthlearningsolutions.org

Re: Design Question

ELS Prothero via use-livecode
Oooh!  For once I might make a contribution!

I had the same issue in a healthcare context.  These IT systems vary tremendously between services, are complex and often hard to connect with - either by design, or by lack of interest in supporting other software.

I found the best way to get a combo education and training/clinical app to be accepted was to create it with no dependencies (local or online), no attempt to connect with management systems, no writing of data anywhere, just the ability to copy and paste charts and data that nurses can incorporate into other reports.  Although clinical information systems are hostile to most actions, they have to allow pictures (like x rays and other scans) and spread sheet data to be pasted into the record.  Ironically, they almost all allow Word documents to be incorporated into the clinical record too.  Nurses don’t need to be shown how to do these things, because they wrestle with ugly, poorly designed clinical information systems on a daily basis.

In other words, you’re on the money, I think.

Cheers,

David G

> On 16 Nov 2020, at 11:28 pm, William Prothero via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Folks,
> I’m refining an application I used to teach Plate Tectonics when I was a working prof. The application’s core is access to Earth data (that scientists used to develop the theory of plate tectonics) and capturing and annotating plots that can be incorporated into student writing.
>
> I am adding features that give the student (and teacher) more direction about how to use the material. The final student product would be some kind of short writeup with figures, that presents student results of their exploration using the data in the application. The major goal is to have students learn about the process of doing science and writing about their results.
>
> However, I am thinking hard about how to proceed. It seems the effort to make this app work with learning management systems would be huge, something I’m definitely not up for. Yet, an assignment with text and figures needs to be packaged in some way that is easy for students to use, but can be transmitted to the teacher (who will make comments, assign a grade, and return it to the student) in some efficient way. What I’m thinking, at the simplest level, is to export the text and figures of the student’s work and let the student create a final product using word, Pages, google classroom, or some other application I haven’t thought about  but which they would normally have access to.
>
> I’d love to have any of you teachers’ ideas and/or experience with great ways to proceed.
>
> Thanks,
> Bill
>
> William A. Prothero
> https://earthlearningsolutions.org

Re: Design Question

ELS Prothero via use-livecode
I’m re-sending this because I used the wrong email server.
Bill

William Prothero
http://es.earthednet.org

William Prothero wrote:

 > It seems the effort to make this app work with learning management
 > systems would be huge, something I’m definitely not up for.

It may not be.  I've made standards-compliant courseware in the past (a
while ago; the data format was XML <g>), and it wasn't as bad as I'd
thought.  With so much work on the modern standards I'd imagine they're
far better documented and based on more common conventions than they
were in yesteryear.

But maybe the key question is: are your customers asking for LMS
interoperability specifically?

In some segments it can make the difference between being a contender
and not being considered at all.

But I've seen many other segments that seem to have abandoned hope of a
standards-driven world of interoperable courseware, quite happy to
kludge together whatever they need to eventually arrive at a means of
tracking assessment.

If no one's asking you for LMS compatibility, there would seem to need
to bother.

If PDF suffices, it's certainly easy to do in LC.

Re: Design Question

ELS Prothero via use-livecode
Richard,
I kinda like the pdf idea. Seems it would give me a way to encapsulate and format the text and images and perhaps a fairly defined pdf format would make it straightforward to edit it using Livecode as well.
Best,
Bill

William A. Prothero
https://earthlearningsolutions.org

> On Nov 17, 2020, at 10:10 AM, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> William Prothero wrote:
>
> > It seems the effort to make this app work with learning management
> > systems would be huge, something I’m definitely not up for.
>
> It may not be.  I've made standards-compliant courseware in the past (a while ago; the data format was XML <g>), and it wasn't as bad as I'd thought.  With so much work on the modern standards I'd imagine they're far better documented and based on more common conventions than they were in yesteryear.
>
> But maybe the key question is: are your customers asking for LMS interoperability specifically?
>
> In some segments it can make the difference between being a contender and not being considered at all.
>
> But I've seen many other segments that seem to have abandoned hope of a standards-driven world of interoperable courseware, quite happy to kludge together whatever they need to eventually arrive at a means of tracking assessment.
>
> If no one's asking you for LMS compatibility, there would seem to need to bother.
>
> If PDF suffices, it's certainly easy to do in LC.
>
> --
> Richard Gaskin
> Fourth World Systems

Re: Design Question

ELS Prothero via use-livecode

> The application's core is access to Earth data (that scientists used to develop the theory of plate tectonics) and capturing and annotating plots that can be incorporated into student writing.

If the 'student writing' is created in some other program then wouldn't it be sufficient to allow a student to copy text, data and plots from your program and paste them into whatever writing program the student uses?

If the 'student writing' is created in your program could their work be exported as PDF that is then imported into the 'learning management system" and/or shared with the teacher?

Jim Lambert

Re: Design Question

ELS Prothero via use-livecode
For getting it FROM the student, why not just use a livecode stack file. It could contain everything and be highly editable. For returning it TO the student you could use a pdf.
--
Scott Morrow

Elementary Software
(Now with 20% less chalk dust!)
web       https://elementarysoftware.com/
email     [hidden email]
booth    1-360-734-4701

> On Nov 17, 2020, at 11:18 AM, William Prothero via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Richard,
> I kinda like the pdf idea. Seems it would give me a way to encapsulate and format the text and images and perhaps a fairly defined pdf format would make it straightforward to edit it using Livecode as well.
> Best,
> Bill
>
> William A. Prothero
> https://earthlearningsolutions.org
>
>> On Nov 17, 2020, at 10:10 AM, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> William Prothero wrote:
>>
>>> It seems the effort to make this app work with learning management
>>> systems would be huge, something I’m definitely not up for.
>>
>> It may not be.  I've made standards-compliant courseware in the past (a while ago; the data format was XML <g>), and it wasn't as bad as I'd thought.  With so much work on the modern standards I'd imagine they're far better documented and based on more common conventions than they were in yesteryear.
>>
>> But maybe the key question is: are your customers asking for LMS interoperability specifically?
>>
>> In some segments it can make the difference between being a contender and not being considered at all.
>>
>> But I've seen many other segments that seem to have abandoned hope of a standards-driven world of interoperable courseware, quite happy to kludge together whatever they need to eventually arrive at a means of tracking assessment.
>>
>> If no one's asking you for LMS compatibility, there would seem to need to bother.
>>
>> If PDF suffices, it's certainly easy to do in LC.
>>
>> --
>> Richard Gaskin
>> Fourth World Systems
>> Software Design and Development for the Desktop, Mobile, and the Web

Re: Design Question

Scott Morrow wrote:

 > For getting it FROM the student, why not just use a livecode stack
 > file. It could contain everything and be highly editable.

^ this

LiveCode stack files are an underrated document format.

Re: Design Question

ELS Prothero via use-livecode
Hi,

I had 70 PS POS systems in the field and I saved the  list of items and
other info  after each addition it worked 99.9% of the time. But when it
failed (4 or 5  times a year) usually the same
customer (same hardware same windows 7 )I had to log in and copy a blank
livecode stack. In the end I had to save the info in the Sqlite database -
No problems since.

The stackfile never seemed to damage because of a power failure/outage or
anything - but had a greater chance if that was the case. The funny thing
was if you did switch the power off  off
without doing a proper shutdown there was no damage 99.9% of the time.
Never did get to the bottom of it.

Regards Lagi

On Wed, 18 Nov 2020 at 00:50, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Scott Morrow wrote:
>
>  > For getting it FROM the student, why not just use a livecode stack
>  > file. It could contain everything and be highly editable.
>
> ^ this
>
> LiveCode stack files are an underrated document format.
>

> --
>   Richard Gaskin
>   Fourth World Systems
>   Software Design and Development for the Desktop, Mobile, and the Web

KIndest Regards Lagi

Re: Design Question

ELS Prothero via use-livecode
Does your stack auto-save anything at any time? If power fails during a save operation, there will be another stack file of the same name preceded by a tilde (~). Deleting the tilde will restore the prior version of the stack file.

Sometimes a power outage can damage the partition of the HDD. I would have UPS backups on all the systems you deem critical, and check these UPS systems every three months or replace them outright every three years (typical life expectancy of a lead acid battery).

Bob S

On Nov 18, 2020, at 2:20 AM, Lagi Pittas via use-livecode <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

Hi,

I had 70 PS POS systems in the field and I saved the  list of items and
other info  after each addition it worked 99.9% of the time. But when it
failed (4 or 5  times a year) usually the same
customer (same hardware same windows 7 )I had to log in and copy a blank
livecode stack. In the end I had to save the info in the Sqlite database -
No problems since.

The stackfile never seemed to damage because of a power failure/outage or
anything - but had a greater chance if that was the case. The funny thing
was if you did switch the power off  off
without doing a proper shutdown there was no damage 99.9% of the time.
Never did get to the bottom of it.

Regards Lagi

Re: Downloading LC9

ELS Prothero via use-livecode
Panos,

*>>>>>>and also the script editor is not opening at all from any stack card
> or object*
> this sounds like a symptom of corrupted Preferences, please try deleting
> your LC preferences in /Users/{username}/Library/Preferences/RunRev/*
>
> Panos

I have deleted ALL LC/RunRev prefs and reinstalled LC so many times now and
it still eludes me. I have to now try to 'edit script' twice before it
shows up and breakpoints are being bypassed.

Screen recording:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/yzp4w5dcm1nento/Screen%20Recording%202020-11-19%20at%2013.53.21.mov?dl=0

At 1:34 it has me place a new breakpoint and the login btn, when pressed,
goes straight to this handler so should get held there no problem, but it
just ploughs on through the rest of the script.
The same in 9.6.0 and 9.6.1
BTW, there are some broken scripts for the scripteditor itself that get
caught if you do a Message Watcher. Has the following crash log:

rocess:               LiveCode-Indy [21126]

> Identifier:            com.runrev.livecode
> Version:               9.6.0.15516 (9.6.0.15516)
> Code Type:             X86-64 (Native)
> Parent Process:        ??? [1]
> Responsible:           LiveCode-Indy [21126]
> User ID:               501
> Date/Time:             2020-11-19 14:08:03.363 +0000
> OS Version:            Mac OS X 10.15.7 (19H2)
> Report Version:        12
> Anonymous UUID:        DB1D2510-2FE8-B930-09F0-D4A26445A63D
>
> Time Awake Since Boot: 470000 seconds
> System Integrity Protection: enabled
> Crashed Thread:        0  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
> Exception Type:        EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
> Exception Codes:       KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000008
> Exception Note:        EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY
> VM Regions Near 0x8:
> -->
>     __TEXT                 000000010cc57000-000000010d40a000 [ 7884K]
> r-x/rwx SM=COW  /Applications/LiveCode Indy
> 9.6.0.app/Contents/MacOS/LiveCode-Indy
> Thread 0 Crashed:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

> Thread 0 crashed with X86 Thread State (64-bit):
>   rax: 0x0000000000000000  rbx: 0x00007f960c15d070  rcx:
> 0x00007f9646a4abc0  rdx: 0x0000000000000000
>   rdi: 0x00007f9646a4abc0  rsi: 0x00007f960c15d080  rbp:
> 0x00007ffee2fa2300  rsp: 0x00007ffee2fa2300
>    r8: 0x0000000000006185   r9: 0x0000000000000000  r10:
> 0x00007f9646a00000  r11: 0x00007f9646a51ac0
>   r12: 0x0000000000000000  r13: 0x000000010db75ed0  r14:
> 0x00007f9646a4abc0  r15: 0x00007f960c15d070
>   rip: 0x000000010cda9290  rfl: 0x0000000000010206  cr2: 0x0000000000000008
>
> Logical CPU:     0
> Error Code:      0x00000006 (no mapping for user data write)
> Trap Number:     14

Screen recording of that:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/borcnx9zu5ipdgg/Screen%20Recording%202020-11-19%20at%2014.13.06.mov?dl=0

That is driving me absolutely nuts. I'm going round in circles and getting
nothing done. And as usual, clients breathing down my neck.

Any clues?

Sean Cole
*Pi Digital*

On Mon, 16 Nov 2020 at 22:17, matthias rebbe via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am currently downloading LC 9.6.1 Business Mac with a download rate 3,7
> - 4,5Mibt/s.
>
> Or did you download an other version?.
>
> Regards,
> Matthias
>

> Matthias Rebbe
> Software & Support
> Externer Datenschutz
> Bramkampsieke 13
> 32312 Lübbecke
> Tel     +49 5741 310000
>         +49 160 5504462
> Fax: +49 5741 310002
> eMail: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>
> BR5 Konverter - BR5 -> MP3 <https://www.matthiasrebbe.eu/software/brx/>
>
> > Am 16.11.2020 um 22:58 schrieb Pi Digital via use-livecode <
> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
> >
> > Hi
> >
> > I’ve been getting weird errors in MacOS (Catalina 10.15.7) where LC is
> saying there is a script error in a data grid of the startup window and
> also the script editor is not opening at all from any stack card or object.
> So I’ve decided to delete and reload LC. But the download is taking
> FOREVER. I’ve tried different browsers, restarting macOS, downloading via
> windows but I’m only getting 100kbps max. I did a speed test and have
> 300Mbps download capability but LC remains stupid slow.
> >
> > Anyone else get this too?
> >
> > Sean Cole
> > Pi Digital
>

> -
> Matthias Rebbe
> Life Is Too Short For Boring Code

Re: Downloading LC9

ELS Prothero via use-livecode
It just corrupted my stack too this time. Good job I have dropbox backups.

Sean Cole
*Pi Digital *

On Thu, 19 Nov 2020 at 14:19, Sean Cole (Pi) <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> Tel     +49 5741 310000
>>         +49 160 5504462
>> Fax: +49 5741 310002
>> eMail: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>>
>> BR5 Konverter - BR5 -> MP3 <https://www.matthiasrebbe.eu/software/brx/>
>>
>> > Am 16.11.2020 um 22:58 schrieb Pi Digital via use-livecode <
>> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>> >
>> > Hi
>> >
>> > I’ve been getting weird errors in MacOS (Catalina 10.15.7) where LC is
>> saying there is a script error in a data grid of the startup window and
>> also the script editor is not opening at all from any stack card or object.
>> So I’ve decided to delete and reload LC. But the download is taking
>> FOREVER. I’ve tried different browsers, restarting macOS, downloading via
>> windows but I’m only getting 100kbps max. I did a speed test and have
>> 300Mbps download capability but LC remains stupid slow.

Jim:
What I’m thinking is that my app would allow students to write their text and create the images. I would export the “composition” in pdf format. That would be imported into the LMS or sent to the teacher external to my app. The teacher could then comment on the writing either in the LMS or an email to the student. One thing I'm careful of is making it difficult for a student to copy work from the web, so I try program to forbid paste operations. All of the figures also have the student’s login name on them.

I thank everyone who’s commented on this and in the process I’ve gotten some clarity on the best path forward.
Best,
Bill

William A. Prothero
https://earthlearningsolutions.org

> On Nov 17, 2020, at 12:45 PM, Jim Lambert via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> The application's core is access to Earth data (that scientists used to develop the theory of plate tectonics) and capturing and annotating plots that can be incorporated into student writing.
>
> If the 'student writing' is created in some other program then wouldn't it be sufficient to allow a student to copy text, data and plots from your program and paste them into whatever writing program the student uses?
>
> If the 'student writing' is created in your program could their work be exported as PDF that is then imported into the 'learning management system" and/or shared with the teacher?
>
> Jim Lambert

Re: Design Question

ELS Prothero via use-livecode
Scott:
You are absolutely correct. I have noticed, though, that busy profs prefer to use apps they are already familiar with and adding an app to look at student work for a single assignment would most likely put them off. So, I’m wanting to get student work in a format that can be either viewed with common apps (e.g. word, excel, etc) but possibly with a custom livecode app as an option.

I’m still working to finish the student part of the app itself, but this design rumination is very helpful.