Quantcast

Downloads - Immodest Proposal

prothero--- via use-livecode

Hi All,

I noticed that on livecode.com the front page has no download link.
Anywhere.

It would be great if interested people who happen upon the web site
could instantly download LiveCode with a prominent button. I see a trial
signup, but it really takes some persistence to go through the steps! In
fact, it gets off to a slow start even to find the sign up box, which
was on a second page and took some effort to locate.

Once a download is started, people generally want to follow through and
install it. What if the trial signup came at the end of the installation
process as a quick step, similar to the current licensing choice screen?
Just a thought. At least they could have it downloading while working on
the signup. With detection it should be easy to provide the appropriate
file.

Regardless, a download link or button, especially above the fold, would
sure be nice. Right now I think the web page is a little too shy and
modest about the awesome LC executables that are waiting to be explored.
Show the world what you have!

(I was going to joke around a bit for those who are familiar with the
original "Modest Proposal" in literature, but I'm not sure if that work
is still popular these days so I decided not to.)

Best wishes,

Curry K.

Re: Downloads - Immodest Proposal

prothero--- via use-livecode
Curry,

What is the link to your website store?  The link I have currently have is out dated.

Thanks for your time!

Sent from my iPad

Re: Downloads - Immodest Proposal

prothero--- via use-livecode

Charles Szasz:
 > Curry,
 > What is the link to your website store?

Howdy,

Thanks for asking! My addons are now residing at:

http://livecodeaddons.com/

And each product has links to the LiveCode store or the eSellerate
store, which is here if you need the quickest link:

http://store.esellerate.net/s.aspx?s=STR3897026475

I've been working on several updates that are on the way, there will be
fixes for LC 8 issues in a couple of products including (gasp)
WordReport, and SpreadOut's Excel export has very cool image support and
extensive text styles, among other things. All the addons have an update
coming sooner or later.

The LiveCode field control keeps getting better, more features and
fixes, and the import/export addons will continue to make good use of
this. I'm still learning amazing nuances of the LC field (mostly good,
still a few quirks to bug report) even after working with it daily all
these years on advanced formatting. Good stuff ahead!

Which is why I hope more people will be downloading LiveCode, and I
welcome more downloads of my addons too!

Best wishes,

Curry Kenworthy

Custom Software Development
LiveCode Training and Consulting
http://livecodeconsulting.com/

On 13/04/2017 02:49, Curry Kenworthy via use-livecode wrote:

> (I was going to joke around a bit for those who are familiar with the
> original "Modest Proposal" in literature, but I'm not sure if that
> work is still popular these days so I decided not to.)
Just as well you didn't, that would swiftly have caused confusion :-)
Alex.

Re: Downloads - Immodest Proposal

prothero--- via use-livecode
‘Confusion' being an understatement, it would have swiftly caused shock and horror :)
Dave

>> (I was going to joke around a bit for those who are familiar with the
>> original "Modest Proposal" in literature, but I'm not sure if that
>> work is still popular these days so I decided not to.)
>>
> Just as well you didn't, that would swiftly have caused confusion :-)
> Alex.

Re: Downloads - Immodest Proposal

prothero--- via use-livecode
"swiftly"

Dunno: tossed a baby on the barbeque just last weekend.

Richmond.

On 4/13/17 11:09 am, Alex Tweedly via use-livecode wrote:

> On 13/04/2017 02:49, Curry Kenworthy via use-livecode wrote:
>>
>> (I was going to joke around a bit for those who are familiar with the
>> original "Modest Proposal" in literature, but I'm not sure if that
>> work is still popular these days so I decided not to.)
> Just as well you didn't, that would swiftly have caused confusion :-)
> Alex.

Re: Downloads - Immodest Proposal

prothero--- via use-livecode

 > 'Confusion' being an understatement, it would have swiftly
 > caused shock and horror :)
 > Dave

Yep. :) But there are good reasons for comparison. Swift was making an
outrageous joke to draw attention to other actual proposals for the
problems of his day.

Right at the moment there may have been a dip in LC newbies (perhaps,
judging from some imperfect indicators) and naturally there's a "hunger"
to spread the word and get LC into the hands of interested people.
Having a download as visible and easy as possible could be a realistic
measure to help with part of that. Ditto for a very "swift" signup.

So joking about it might go like: Whatever you do, don't show the
uninitiated and uncouth masses of people your greatest treasure, that
is, your downloads! You must keep those a secret altogether, or at least
make people go through a satisfying number of steps first before they
reach them, so only the elite will find them, being tested and purified,
thus in the proper state of mind to appreciate the true quality of these
executables. Never be tempted by frivolous appeals to reduce the number
of steps or clicks in that process, or to start the download while they
are verifying their email, or heaven forbid, to roll the signup into the
installer. No, friends, the real answer has been right in front of us
the whole time. All we need to do is get LC tattoos in, let's say,
"modest" places. It flies under the radar, but really makes an impact
when revealed in some situations. And you always know it's there, gives
you secret empowerment all day. Something like that.

You can see why I thought again and held off on that the first post!

Anyway, I would say it's also just a tiny bit shocking to have no
download links at all on the site. Have you seen the LC site lately? I
could find no download links at all. None. There's the signup but it's a
pretty roundabout process. If I were a first-time visitor to the LC web
site, I'm not sure whether I would have snagged a download by the end of
my visit or not. That's why I posted.

On 4/13/17 7:44 pm, Curry Kenworthy via use-livecode wrote:

> > 'Confusion' being an understatement, it would have swiftly
> > caused shock and horror :)
> > Dave
>
> Yep. :) But there are good reasons for comparison. Swift was making an
> outrageous joke to draw attention to other actual proposals for the
> problems of his day.
>
> Right at the moment there may have been a dip in LC newbies (perhaps,
> judging from some imperfect indicators) and naturally there's a
> "hunger" to spread the word and get LC into the hands of interested
> people. Having a download as visible and easy as possible could be a
> realistic measure to help with part of that. Ditto for a very "swift"
> signup.
>
> So joking about it might go like: Whatever you do, don't show the
> uninitiated and uncouth masses of people your greatest treasure, that
> is, your downloads! You must keep those a secret altogether, or at
> least make people go through a satisfying number of steps first before
> they reach them, so only the elite will find them, being tested and
> purified, thus in the proper state of mind to appreciate the true
> quality of these executables. Never be tempted by frivolous appeals to
> reduce the number of steps or clicks in that process, or to start the
> download while they are verifying their email, or heaven forbid, to
> roll the signup into the installer. No, friends, the real answer has
> been right in front of us the whole time. All we need to do is get LC
> tattoos in, let's say, "modest" places. It flies under the radar, but
> really makes an impact when revealed in some situations. And you
> always know it's there, gives you secret empowerment all day.
> Something like that.
>
> You can see why I thought again and held off on that the first post!
>
> Anyway, I would say it's also just a tiny bit shocking

It's daft! And I have ALREADY made the point about the teeny-weeny green
Community button way at bottom-left of the page
to minimise the chance that anyone sees it.

BUT: don't tell the people at LiveCode centre that because they know
BETTER than anyone how to market something,
as one can see from the way the LC newbie number is dropping.

I have criticised the LiveCode web-site many times, as have many others;
and as far as I recall not once have the LiveCode
people admitted that a criticism might, just, possibly have a spot of
validity.

Of course elsewhere if someone never, ever admitted to having made a
misjudgement they'd be called "arrogant",
but you cannot do that with LiveCode because they pay good money to
marketing people to do their website, and they
cannot be seen admitting they might have got the wrong firm; Oh, and
they are perfect.

> to have no download links at all on the site. Have you seen the LC
> site lately? I could find no download links at all. None. There's the
> signup but it's a pretty roundabout process.

I raised it, Richard Gaskin agreed; what happens; sweet Football
Association.

Richmond wrote:

 > On 4/13/17 7:44 pm, Curry Kenworthy via use-livecode wrote:
 >> to have no download links at all on the site. Have you seen the LC
 >> site lately? I could find no download links at all. None. There's
 >> the signup but it's a pretty roundabout process.
 >
 > I raised it, Richard Gaskin agreed; what happens; sweet Football
 > Association.

My comments on the value of allowing voluntary email address submission
were limited to the Community Edition at the .org site - see the second
half of this post for what I wrote on the subject:

http://lists.runrev.com/pipermail/use-livecode/2017-March/235290.html

How they handle email address harvesting at the .com site for the
proprietary edition is, literally, their business.

I usually direct questions I have about their business to them directly,
rather than to other users here, because I don't expect the users here
to answer questions only the company can answer.

For the Community .org site, however, I feel it can be most effective in
terms of both promoting platform adoption and reducing cost to the
company to the degree that it actively invites community participation.

That is a set of goals I'm still pursuing.

  LiveCode Community Liaison

Re: Downloads - Immodest Proposal

prothero--- via use-livecode

Over the years I found that when there was a trial version of software ,
whether it was 10 days or 30 days , it didn't make any difference because
 except for the first day of download life/work would get in the way and by
the time I had time to test the software the 30 days were up.

XOJO in my opinion has been clever - the system works forever in the IDE
 you just can't compile..

LC should put the community version next to the compare versions table and
allow people to download that - you either love it or hate it so why bother
whether they can see the communirty  version. Like you say we need to get
it in as many hands.

Again time has been spent prettyjng up the site (in your face popups that
sh*t on my windscreen everytime I go to the frontpage - have they heard
about ciookies?.

No thought has been given about the user experience and the hoops people
have to jump through. I say again B4a and Xojo are priced right for an
entry level system and are a no brainer - I have bought both and they won't
run out.

Will Livecode's "digital Marketing" get with the program any time soon? --
I think not until the SHTF

Lagi

On 13 April 2017 at 17:44, Curry Kenworthy via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> > 'Confusion' being an understatement, it would have swiftly
> > caused shock and horror :)
> > Dave
>
> Yep. :) But there are good reasons for comparison. Swift was making an
> outrageous joke to draw attention to other actual proposals for the
> problems of his day.
>
> Right at the moment there may have been a dip in LC newbies (perhaps,
> judging from some imperfect indicators) and naturally there's a "hunger" to
> spread the word and get LC into the hands of interested people. Having a
> download as visible and easy as possible could be a realistic measure to
> help with part of that. Ditto for a very "swift" signup.
>
> So joking about it might go like: Whatever you do, don't show the
> uninitiated and uncouth masses of people your greatest treasure, that is,
> your downloads! You must keep those a secret altogether, or at least make
> people go through a satisfying number of steps first before they reach
> them, so only the elite will find them, being tested and purified, thus in
> the proper state of mind to appreciate the true quality of these
> executables. Never be tempted by frivolous appeals to reduce the number of
> steps or clicks in that process, or to start the download while they are
> verifying their email, or heaven forbid, to roll the signup into the
> installer. No, friends, the real answer has been right in front of us the
> whole time. All we need to do is get LC tattoos in, let's say, "modest"
> places. It flies under the radar, but really makes an impact when revealed
> in some situations. And you always know it's there, gives you secret
> empowerment all day. Something like that.
>
> You can see why I thought again and held off on that the first post!
>
> Anyway, I would say it's also just a tiny bit shocking to have no download
> links at all on the site. Have you seen the LC site lately? I could find no
> download links at all. None. There's the signup but it's a pretty
> roundabout process. If I were a first-time visitor to the LC web site, I'm
> not sure whether I would have snagged a download by the end of my visit or
> not. That's why I posted.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Curry K.

Re: Downloads - Immodest Proposal

prothero--- via use-livecode
Richard,

The company reads all this babble and doesn't bother to respond so that we
could all partake of their wisdom.

Regards Lagi

On 13 April 2017 at 23:17, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Richmond wrote:
>
> > On 4/13/17 7:44 pm, Curry Kenworthy via use-livecode wrote:
> >> to have no download links at all on the site. Have you seen the LC
> >> site lately? I could find no download links at all. None. There's
> >> the signup but it's a pretty roundabout process.
> >
> > I raised it, Richard Gaskin agreed; what happens; sweet Football
> > Association.
>
> My comments on the value of allowing voluntary email address submission
> were limited to the Community Edition at the .org site - see the second
> half of this post for what I wrote on the subject:
>
> http://lists.runrev.com/pipermail/use-livecode/2017-March/235290.html
>
> How they handle email address harvesting at the .com site for the
> proprietary edition is, literally, their business.
>
> I usually direct questions I have about their business to them directly,
> rather than to other users here, because I don't expect the users here to
> answer questions only the company can answer.
>

> For the Community .org site, however, I feel it can be most effective in
> terms of both promoting platform adoption and reducing cost to the company
> to the degree that it actively invites community participation.
>
> That is a set of goals I'm still pursuing.
>
> --
>  Richard Gaskin
>  LiveCode Community Liaison
>  [hidden email]

Re: Downloads - Immodest Proposal

prothero--- via use-livecode

Richard:
 > How they handle email address harvesting at the .com site for
 > the proprietary edition is, literally, their business.

My interest is primarily for the .com site, and I'm comfortable sharing
my opinion. Of course they have every right to their own decision too
and I have the deepest respect for that. In my experience LiveCode is a
company that does listen over time, so it's always interesting to have a
discussion, whatever the venue and final result, always in a friendly
spirit. That's a nice distinction you have to make a direct contact only
to the company about .com matters, but I didn't feel that way on this
particular topic, plus I can learn in the process and see what a few
other users think too!

While discussing this I should have added that I still LOVE the full
downloads page at downloads.livecode.com and even made a video about it
a while back. It could be an overwhelming page for non-geeks on their
very first day, but it's just right for many initiated users, even when
they are still fairly new to the LC world. Hope it will never go away. A
dynamic link at the top could help people quickly access the most
relevant version or two for their own platform, and there could be other
tweaks but I like the concept pretty much as it is.

One more observation is that I do see other companies requiring a signup
too, but interestingly enough the word "Download" is still sometimes
prominent in their signup mechanism! It's a nice call to action and can
be paired with other phrases to cover all the bases. Personally I like
to see a download at the beginning, that's me, but I had to chuckle
seeing how it's possible to have it both ways, with "Download" leading
to a sign up. And of course it's very true, people are signing up with
the goal of accessing those downloads. Pretty good approach.

Best wishes,

Curry Kenworthy

Custom Software Development
LiveCode Training and Consulting
http://livecodeconsulting.com/

Re: Downloads - Immodest Proposal

prothero--- via use-livecode
Of course we listen. We read what comes in here and on many other venues.
We just don¹t always agree or have time to respond on every point. As far
as the marketing goes, as with all these things we will test different
approaches over time.

Kind regards,

Kevin

Kevin Miller ~ [hidden email] ~ http://www.livecode.com/
LiveCode: Everyone can create apps

On 14/04/2017, 09:45, "use-livecode on behalf of Curry Kenworthy via
use-livecode" <[hidden email] on behalf of
[hidden email]> wrote:

>My interest is primarily for the .com site, and I'm comfortable sharing
>my opinion. Of course they have every right to their own decision too
>and I have the deepest respect for that. In my experience LiveCode is a
>company that does listen over time, so it's always interesting to have a
>discussion, whatever the venue and final result, always in a friendly
>spirit.

Re: Downloads - Immodest Proposal

prothero--- via use-livecode
I feel that livecode needs a suite of adaptable commercial software, so that people become aware of LC through using that software, in much the same way people became aware of VBA through using MS Word.

They need SOME way to get email addresses from prospective customers.

I do agree the direct download link should be more findable.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Apr 14, 2017, at 4:51 AM, Kevin Miller via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Of course we listen. We read what comes in here and on many other venues.
> We just don¹t always agree or have time to respond on every point. As far
> as the marketing goes, as with all these things we will test different
> approaches over time.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Kevin
>
> Kevin Miller ~ [hidden email] ~ http://www.livecode.com/
> LiveCode: Everyone can create apps
>

> On 14/04/2017, 09:45, "use-livecode on behalf of Curry Kenworthy via
> use-livecode" <[hidden email] on behalf of
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> My interest is primarily for the .com site, and I'm comfortable sharing
>> my opinion. Of course they have every right to their own decision too
>> and I have the deepest respect for that. In my experience LiveCode is a
>> company that does listen over time, so it's always interesting to have a
>> discussion, whatever the venue and final result, always in a friendly
>> spirit.

Re: Downloads - Immodest Proposal

prothero--- via use-livecode

Kevin:
 > Of course we listen. We read what comes in here and on many
 > other venues.

Wow, that post was the perfect confirmation of my thoughts - I knew for
certain that LiveCode was listening as I said, that always has been the
case in my experience, and I had a feeling you were too!

I've been absolutely clear in making this an open suggestion and frank
observation, not demanding a response or expecting any kind of
agreement. But receiving a response is a nice bonus, thanks for speaking
up so quickly.

I'm in the same boat; unfortunately I often don't have time to speak up
on these trends that come and go, but now and then I make time on one or
two, and it's great to hear from fellow users and CEO alike. I place
enough importance on downloads that this was one of those times, and
whatever the outcome I'm glad I said my piece. :)

Best wishes,

Curry Kenworthy

Custom Software Development
LiveCode Training and Consulting
http://livecodeconsulting.com/

Re: Downloads - Immodest Proposal

prothero--- via use-livecode
HI

I'm presuming (presumptuous moi?) that my bit about the company not
listening elicited what I wanted - somebody from LC to pipe in - the fact
that was Kevin was a bonus.

So let me say here and now I LOVE LC and the more I use LC the more I like
it BUT.. I will be honest,  if I found the site today I wouldn't give it
any time at all - seriously!!

It was mentioned in a  FOXPRO forum and the OP was rounded on by one of the
Fox Gurus for 1 thing actually - that the INDY license put a limit on what
they could earn
(don't mention the fact that  it runs out yearly!).

Let me state what I stated on MANY occasions.

<stream of consciousness>
The Differentiation of INDY with Business can stay should be SQLITE for
INDY or at least for any future Mobile only versions. The price hike
probably wouldn't make this sustainable) and BUSINESS allows say Oracle,
SQL server databases and maybe  some of the other stuff that they have now
(although Andre  Garcia and many others would disagree). The main
Differentiation should be the support. The $500,000 limit on INDY is on an
honour system anyway - LC can't tell whether I made a million last week or
not. This is what I can't understand.I for one if I was on INDY (I'm on
business now but they made me an offer I couldn't refuse and am still only
using 6.7.11) and was earning not even close to $500,000 why wouldn't I
upgrade to the next level if only to help the Tool that is bringing in the
bread and butter.

Related to the above is  the fact that the entry level $100 hobbyist market
 has all but been  eviscerated  because you cannot use Community to create
IOS apps for the APP store is totally  illogical to me.

XOJO has the $100 ish single OS versions (that do not run out),  but you
don't get updates after a year. That to me is real world thinking. If I
have an APP on the APP store and it is moderately successful - at least
returns a few hundred dollars and XCODE is updated so that my version of LC
needs to be updated , why wouldn't I update it? If it isn't successful I
wouldn't have paid for it anyway.

The point being they are losing the impulse purchases of $100 here ,
hundreds dollars their - I have purchased B4A (all versions for the last 6
years) and have never written anything to sell but I have played with it
because $250 for 2 years including the MAC cloud compilation to me is a
steal - I have a MAC but I might want to compile on my PC. I have XOJO - I
only used it to write something that was problematic within LC and got them
to talk - again no-brainer cost. The most expensive development systems I
ever paid for was Clipper Summer 84 - £795 (ALPHA5 as well but that's
another story) when that was real money - It was not protected in any way
and I was given a copy on a couple of disks, but I bought it when a
programmer friend convinced me it wasn't the CR*P that DBASE was - because
it was the right thing to do. If I didn't have the money at the time. I
would have purchased after I had made some money with it - again you either
have that attitude or you don't. Some people will be so honourable that
they would't even think about using it without paying there and then - i'm
a little more pragmatic.

What I'm saying is give the $100 entry system for single platforms a try
again - the longer you leave it the more chance the XOJO's of this world
will catch up.

Make sure the yearly upgrade gives them a discount on the full price and
you have your "sort of lockin" that you are trying to do now - many
companies do it this way (XOJO and B4a are 2 I can mention ) - and I keep
upgrading.

</stream of consciousness>

There are more ideas/thoughts but I have work to finish off - no rest for
the really wicked.

Kindest Regards Lagi

As usual excuse any smelling Pistakes

On 14 April 2017 at 10:48, Curry Kenworthy via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Kevin:
> > Of course we listen. We read what comes in here and on many
> > other venues.
>
> Wow, that post was the perfect confirmation of my thoughts - I knew for
> certain that LiveCode was listening as I said, that always has been the
> case in my experience, and I had a feeling you were too!
>
> I've been absolutely clear in making this an open suggestion and frank
> observation, not demanding a response or expecting any kind of agreement.
> But receiving a response is a nice bonus, thanks for speaking up so quickly.
>
> I'm in the same boat; unfortunately I often don't have time to speak up on
> these trends that come and go, but now and then I make time on one or two,
> and it's great to hear from fellow users and CEO alike. I place enough
> importance on downloads that this was one of those times, and whatever the
> outcome I'm glad I said my piece. :)
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Curry Kenworthy
>
> Custom Software Development
> LiveCode Training and Consulting
> http://livecodeconsulting.com/

Re: Downloads - Immodest Proposal

prothero--- via use-livecode
+1

On Apr 14, 2017, at 05:49 , Lagi Pittas via use-livecode <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

<stream of consciousness>
The Differentiation of INDY with Business can stay should be SQLITE for
INDY or at least for any future Mobile only versions. The price hike
probably wouldn't make this sustainable) and BUSINESS allows say Oracle,
<snip>

We have no frame of reference for what it takes to run the company in terms of financing. Not very many of us have an idea of how many PAYING developers are in their base either. As a result, we have no business talking about how much they should charge for licensing. I am up for renewal on the Indy license. I am not well to do. I am balking at the price right now. Still, I could use the non-comm version, but then I feel like I am not contributing, so I am torn betwixt the two.

I will probably re-up just because I would like to go to V9 in the future. Lots of good things there.

Re: Downloads - Immodest Proposal

prothero--- via use-livecode
I too am not well off, but in order to "help within my means" I am paying
for membership.  Its not much, but far better than 0.  The only thing I
want to find out now is where to get nightly builds from. (a perk of
membership, yet no info that I can locate on how to actually find them)

On 4/14/17 6:13 pm, Mike Bonner via use-livecode wrote:
> I too am not well off, but in order to "help within my means" I am paying
> for membership.  Its not much, but far better than 0.  The only thing I
> want to find out now is where to get nightly builds from. (a perk of
> membership, yet no info that I can locate on how to actually find them)

That would be nice.