E.T.

Let us suppose I have sold a 5 seat licence of some software to an
organisation and I don't
want its workers merrily taking copies of that software home to pop on
their home machines
as well as giving copies to Aunty Betty, Uncle Oswald and Cousin Jeff . . .

I would suppose I need that software to "phone home" and check itself
against a list (text document)
or something so that only 5 copies can function "out there", and if a
6th version phones home it
will do a "Peter Graves" and self-destruct.

Obviously this needs the end-user to have an active internet connexion,
at least when the program is
initially installed . . .

Re: E.T.

Or...

This is reaching back into the annals of computing history, but it works.

You could distribute your product on flash drives and require that they
be plugged in during use. Each flash drive (thumb drive, whatever) has a
unique ID in its firmware that the OS (and therefore LC) can access. You
can write a first-startup initialization process that ties the flash
drive uuid to the computer it's running on (MAC address or some other
system uid), and Bob's your uncle. After the startup process runs, the
key (flash drive) will only enable the software on the machine where it
first started.

When copying the key to the flash drive, the key needs to have the flash
drive's uuid embedded in it (and hidden - maybe encrypted), or else a
person could make many copies of a virgin key and they would all work.
But with the drive's uuid embedded in the key, a startup process can
verify that the right key is residing on the right flash drive.

No internet required.

Phil Davis

On 7/29/17 12:53 AM, Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode wrote:

> Let us suppose I have sold a 5 seat licence of some software to an
> organisation and I don't
> want its workers merrily taking copies of that software home to pop on
> their home machines
> as well as giving copies to Aunty Betty, Uncle Oswald and Cousin Jeff
> . . .
>
> I would suppose I need that software to "phone home" and check itself
> against a list (text document)
> or something so that only 5 copies can function "out there", and if a
> 6th version phones home it
> will do a "Peter Graves" and self-destruct.
>
> Obviously this needs the end-user to have an active internet
> connexion, at least when the program is
> initially installed . . .
>
> Richmond.

Phil Davis

Re: E.T.

On 2017-07-29 09:53, Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode wrote:
> I would suppose I need that software to "phone home" and check itself
> against a list (text document)
> or something so that only 5 copies can function "out there", and if a
> 6th version phones home it
> will do a "Peter Graves" and self-destruct.
>
> Obviously this needs the end-user to have an active internet
> connexion, at least when the program is
> initially installed . . .

There are tools which exist (I'd provide links to examples, but my
google-fu is failing me tonight) which when given a compiled application
(LiveCode standalones will work fine), will wrap it up in something
which will control the number of simultaneous uses on a local network.

It might be a good solution in your case. Indeed, there are some
organisations (such as universities) which actually use them themselves
on the software they purchase in multi-user settings in order to ensure
they can strictly conform to licensing requirements.

Hopefully someone else can find the right phrase to google to point you
in the right direction!

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

P.S. Writing a system which you propose is perfectly possible - in
LiveCode - the IDE does this (for example - although our solution is
very specific and not general). However, it isn't an inconsiderable
amount of work - particularly as users tend to get a little 'vexed' if
the system breaks at any point (even for short periods!).

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps

Re: E.T.

On Sat, Jul 29, 2017 at 1:25 AM, Phil Davis via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> You could distribute your product on flash drives and require that they be
> plugged in during use. Each flash drive (thumb drive, whatever) has a
> unique ID in its firmware that the OS (and therefore LC) can access

These scheme went away for a reason:  they cost more users that they
created revenue.

The extreme case was the death of visicalc to Lotus 1-2-3.  it wasn't
because of any program edger or feature; it was that visicalc refused to
make it installable on hard disk, as they would lose their floppy-based
copy protection . . . (most of these used a deliberate "flaw" that would
cause an error that could be checked; many Apple ][ schemes wrote on
half-tracks, and I think it was visicalc that burned holes in the media
with lasers at specified points]
--
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
(702) 508-8462

Re: E.T.

On 7/29/17 8:47 AM, Dr. Hawkins wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 29, 2017 at 1:25 AM, Phil Davis via use-livecode
> wrote:
>

>     You could distribute your product on flash drives and require that
>     they be plugged in during use. Each flash drive (thumb drive,
>     whatever) has a unique ID in its firmware that the OS (and
>     therefore LC) can access
>

> These scheme went away for a reason:  they cost more users that they
> created revenue.

Right. It's entirely inconvenient, cumbersome, restrictive and therefore
unacceptable to a modern user. They'll look for a different product
that's easier to use. But technically speaking, it does work.  :-)

Phil

--
Phil Davis