E-mailing data file

charles61
I created an app that generates a data file.  The files are saved on the user's hard drive.  I want to add an e-mail button that would allow the user to send the file by e-mail by selecting the file within the app to send to another person who is using my program.  How can I do that?

Re: E-mailing data file

Richard Gaskin
charles61 wrote:

> I created an app that generates a data file.  The files are saved on the
> user's hard drive.  I want to add an e-mail button that would allow the user
> to send the file by e-mail by selecting the file within the app to send to
> another person who is using my program.  How can I do that?

Many people would recommend using mailto.  Don't count on it.  Microsoft
has imposed a limit on the length of URLs used with that protocol; it's
short, and varies from release to release, making the use of mailto for
setting up emails on Windows unreliable unless you know your
email+attachment will be very short.

I would use a CGI on the server, and post the file to that, which could
then email it to you.  You can even compress the data using the built-in
compress function to make the transfer much sorter.

It's a bit more work to set up a CGI, but well worth it:  once you get
comfortable with CGIs a very large universe of possibilities opens up to
you.

The basics of getting started with the Rev CGI are here:
<http://www.hyperactivesw.com/cgitutorial/>

If you get going and have any trouble working out the email part of it,
drop a note here and we'll sort it out for you.

  Fourth World

Re: E-mailing data file

charles61
Richard,

The only problem is that I am dealing with individual computers running the program and not a server. Any other ideas?

Charles Szasz
[hidden email]

On Aug 4, 2010, at 10:07 AM, Richard Gaskin [via Runtime Revolution] wrote:

charles61 wrote:

> I created an app that generates a data file.  The files are saved on the
> user's hard drive.  I want to add an e-mail button that would allow the user
> to send the file by e-mail by selecting the file within the app to send to
> another person who is using my program.  How can I do that?

Many people would recommend using mailto.  Don't count on it.  Microsoft
has imposed a limit on the length of URLs used with that protocol; it's
short, and varies from release to release, making the use of mailto for
setting up emails on Windows unreliable unless you know your
email+attachment will be very short.

I would use a CGI on the server, and post the file to that, which could
then email it to you.  You can even compress the data using the built-in
compress function to make the transfer much sorter.

It's a bit more work to set up a CGI, but well worth it:  once you get
comfortable with CGIs a very large universe of possibilities opens up to
you.

The basics of getting started with the Rev CGI are here:
<http://www.hyperactivesw.com/cgitutorial/>

If you get going and have any trouble working out the email part of it,
drop a note here and we'll sort it out for you.

  Fourth World

Re: E-mailing data file

Graham Pearson
My comment would be using a web service that the client application could access and then the web service would actually send the email.

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

The only problem is that I am dealing with individual computers running the program and not a server. Any other ideas?

Charles Szasz
[hidden email]

On Aug 4, 2010, at 10:07 AM, Richard Gaskin [via Runtime Revolution] wrote:

> charles61 wrote:
>
> > I created an app that generates a data file.  The files are saved on the
> > user's hard drive.  I want to add an e-mail button that would allow the user
> > to send the file by e-mail by selecting the file within the app to send to
> > another person who is using my program.  How can I do that?
>
> Many people would recommend using mailto.  Don't count on it.  Microsoft
> has imposed a limit on the length of URLs used with that protocol; it's
> short, and varies from release to release, making the use of mailto for
> setting up emails on Windows unreliable unless you know your
> email+attachment will be very short.
>
> I would use a CGI on the server, and post the file to that, which could
> then email it to you.  You can even compress the data using the built-in
> compress function to make the transfer much sorter.
>
> It's a bit more work to set up a CGI, but well worth it:  once you get
> comfortable with CGIs a very large universe of possibilities opens up to
> you.
>
> The basics of getting started with the Rev CGI are here:
> <http://www.hyperactivesw.com/cgitutorial/>
>
> If you get going and have any trouble working out the email part of it,
> drop a note here and we'll sort it out for you.
>
> --
>   Richard Gaskin
>   Fourth World
>   Rev training and consulting: http://www.fourthworld.com
>   Webzine for Rev developers: http://www.revjournal.com
>   revJournal blog: http://revjournal.com/blog.irv

Re: E-mailing data file

charles61 wrote:

On Aug 4, 2010, at 10:07 AM, Richard Gaskin [via Runtime Revolution] wrote:
 > I would use a CGI on the server, and post the file to that, which
 > could then email it to you.  You can even compress the data using
 > the built-in compress function to make the transfer much sorter.
 >
 > It's a bit more work to set up a CGI, but well worth it:  once you
 > get comfortable with CGIs a very large universe of possibilities
 > opens up to you.
 >
 > The basics of getting started with the Rev CGI are here:
 > <http://www.hyperactivesw.com/cgitutorial/>
 >
 > The only problem is that I am dealing with individual computers
 > running the program and not a server. Any other ideas?

Right:  the client side isn't running the CGI, any more than they would
run your mail server if you could send the email directly.

Whether sending email or posting the message to a CGI to email for you,
both require nothing more than an Internet connection on the client.
The work is done on a server.

This assumes you have a web server available, and one that allows you to
run compiled CGI engines like the Rev CGI (a good many do these days).

The URL above describes what you'd need to set up Rev on your server,
and I can't stress enough how wonderfully useful it is to have such a
setup at your disposal, for this and a thousand other tasks you'll think
up over time.

  Fourth World

Re: E-mailing data file

viktoras d.
Hi Charles,

what if, instead of sending data as an attachment of an e-mail, user
saved data into a ftp directory on a web server. In this case the only
thing to send would be the url or name of data file. Of course in this
case you will need to ensure 24/7 availability of your ftp directory.
However this scheme simplifies implementatin and would not even require
any cgi coding at all.

Viktoras

charles61 wrote:
> I created an app that generates a data file.  The files are saved on the
> user's hard drive.  I want to add an e-mail button that would allow the user
> to send the file by e-mail by selecting the file within the app to send to
> another person who is using my program.  How can I do that?

Re: E-mailing data file

Andre Garzia-3
Charles,

checkout libSMTP on revonline but I agree with Richard, it is easier to make
your standalone ping a server cgi with the data. Email is just to cumbersome
these days.

Andre

On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 9:57 AM, charles61 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I created an app that generates a data file.  The files are saved on the
> user's hard drive.  I want to add an e-mail button that would allow the
> user
> to send the file by e-mail by selecting the file within the app to send to
> another person who is using my program.  How can I do that?

http://www.andregarzia.com All We Do Is Code.

Re: E-mailing data file

charles61
Thanks to everyone for your suggestions!

Re: E-mailing data file

Michael D Mays
In a lot of places email is the only way. I have people whose parent corporation provides their internet connection. They have limited bandwidth and a less than stellar corporate IT. Emails of less than a few MB is the only way for them.
Michael

Michael D Mays wrote:

 > In a lot of places email is the only way. I have people whose
 > parent corporation provides their internet connection. They
 > have limited bandwidth and a less than stellar corporate IT.
 > Emails of less than a few MB is the only way for them.

Unless I misunderstood the original request, this isn't a question of
bandwidth but merely of finding a reliable way to send the message.

The mailto: protocol is often used for such things, and in many cases
will open the user's default email client with a preformatted message
ready to send.

The problem with mailto is that it's not reliable on Windows systems if
there's any risk that the total URL string passed to it may exceed 512
characters -- see the first comment at:
<http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa767737%28VS.85%29.aspx>

Complicating things further, this limit appears to vary between
different versions of Windows and/or Outlook (I've seen some systems
where lengths up to 2048 are accepted, but even that's kinda small for
sending logs).

When that limit is exceeded, in most cases (but again, this is not
consistently implemented) the OS will simply fail to open the client at all.

Faced with that unpredictable limit, mailto is only useful on Windows
when you know the message will be very short.

So instead, we need to explore other options, and CGI is a great one.

With a CGI you use the same bandwidth, since the message isn't any
longer regardless how it's sent.

But using a CGI to handle the message you no longer give up control over
the message length, provided you send it with POST rather than GET
(well, technically speaking some hosts may impose limits on POST data
length, but usually those limits are so large they won't come into play
for most common uses).

In fact, using a CGI you can send the same message in much a smaller
data chunk using Rev's built-in gzip compression:

post compress(tMyData) to url "http://mydomain.com/cgi-bin/myscript.cgi"

Gzip compression works wonders on text, often reducing its length by as
much as 40% and sometimes as high as 70% depending on the content.

On the receiving end, the CGI script can get the POST data, run it
through Rev's decompress function, and either email it to you, or write
it to a file you can pick up with FTP, or any number of other options.

  Fourth World

Re: E-mailing data file

charles61
Richard,

Wow!  I really appreciate your suggestions on e-mailing data. This is something I hope to add on to my app after it is deployed. I don't have any experience with CGI. So thanks again!!!

Charles Szasz
[hidden email]

charles61 wrote:

 > Wow!  I really appreciate your suggestions on e-mailing data.
 > This is something I hope to add on to my app after it is
 > deployed. I don't have any experience with CGI. So thanks again!!!

Charles, your life is about to change.  :)

Getting started with CGIs can be daunting at first because in many ways
it's quite different from writing in a desktop app.

But once you get the hang of it and you've ironed out all your 500
errors (yes, you'll have them, but most are caused by only three issues
so when you encounter 'em just post here and we'll help you sort 'em
out) you'll have all sorts of ideas for ways you can use CGIs.

Pretty soon you'll be the master of your server, able to have it do your
bidding when called from your stacks or your browser.  It'll open many
new worlds of discovery and personal achievement.

I can't stress enough how helpful Jacque's tutorial is for getting
started with CGIs:
<http://hyperactivesw.com/cgitutorial/>

You're about to have a very good time.  Let us know how it goes.

  Fourth World

Re: E-mailing data file

charles61
Richard,

Thanks and I will check Jacque's tutorial for CGIs!

Charles Szasz
[hidden email]

On Aug 5, 2010, at 11:08 AM, Richard Gaskin [via Runtime Revolution] wrote:

charles61 wrote:

 > Wow!  I really appreciate your suggestions on e-mailing data.
 > This is something I hope to add on to my app after it is
 > deployed. I don't have any experience with CGI. So thanks again!!!

Charles, your life is about to change.  :)

Getting started with CGIs can be daunting at first because in many ways
it's quite different from writing in a desktop app.

But once you get the hang of it and you've ironed out all your 500
errors (yes, you'll have them, but most are caused by only three issues
so when you encounter 'em just post here and we'll help you sort 'em
out) you'll have all sorts of ideas for ways you can use CGIs.

Pretty soon you'll be the master of your server, able to have it do your
bidding when called from your stacks or your browser.  It'll open many
new worlds of discovery and personal achievement.

I can't stress enough how helpful Jacque's tutorial is for getting
started with CGIs:
<http://hyperactivesw.com/cgitutorial/>

You're about to have a very good time.  Let us know how it goes.

  Fourth World

Re: E-mailing data file

Michael D Mays
I think you misunderstood my comment.  And reading Charles comments I didn't think he was wanting to use mailto (cgi stuff) rather he was wanting a solution more along revMail. Email is not the best solution but many times it is more than adequate.
Michael

Michael D Mays wrote:

 > I think you misunderstood my comment.  And reading Charles comments
 > I didn't think he was wanting to use mailto (cgi stuff) rather he
 > was wanting a solution more along revMail. Email is not the best
 > solution but many times it is more than adequate.

I think I'm still missing something because RevMail is just a wrapper
for mailto.

  Fourth World

Re: E-mailing data file

Michael D Mays
I think were both wrong.  revMail uses the user's email program to generate an email. The user then can send the email from their email program.

It seems like I used Rev some years back to send email via SMTP. If not it was with that other cross platform software.

Sorry,
Michael

Michael D Mays wrote:

 > I think were both wrong.  revMail uses the user's email program
 > to generate an email. The user then can send the email from
 > their email program.

Right: that's how the mailto protocol is usually handled on most
systems, and unfortunately the way Microsoft handles it is unpredictable
for all but the shortest messages.

 > It seems like I used Rev some years back to send email via SMTP.
 > If not it was with that other cross platform software.

There are a few SMTP libs floating around in the Rev community, but
using them may require a bit of diligence as it would require putting
your account's SMTP authentication into the stack you hand out to clients.

Some years ago Andre found a clever way to send email directly to one's
SMTP server without such authentication, but as much as I love Andre I
never felt comfortable with such a scheme to have tried it myself.

For my own needs, a CGI has provided a good mix of flexibility with the
data I'm sending, the size of the data (thanks to the compress
function), and the security of knowing it can't be used by spammers to
send email to other addresses.

  Fourth World

Re: E-mailing data file

Michael D Mays
Ignorant me. I just tried revMail on Windows and if the file is too big the email program isn't launched or if running the email isn't generated.

I think Sarah Reichelt's POP3 and SMTP stacks at
  http://www.troz.net/rev/index.irev?category=Library#stacks
are pretty good.

Michael

On Aug 5, 2010, at 11:24 AM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> Right: that's how the mailto protocol is usually handled on most systems, and unfortunately the way Microsoft handles it is unpredictable for all but the shortest messages.

Re: E-mailing data file

ScottR
Also, what if someone uses a Web-based mail client and doesn't use an email
app at all?  I know several people who use gmail directly within a browser
because they can get to it from anywhere there's an internet connection.
Doesn't seem like mailto would be of any use here.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, UX Design

Recently, Michael D Mays wrote:

> Ignorant me. I just tried revMail on Windows and if the file is too big the
> email program isn't launched or if running the email isn't generated.
>
> I think Sarah Reichelt's POP3 and SMTP stacks at
>   http://www.troz.net/rev/index.irev?category=Library#stacks
> are pretty good.
>
> Michael
>
> On Aug 5, 2010, at 11:24 AM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
>
>> Right: that's how the mailto protocol is usually handled on most systems, and
>> unfortunately the way Microsoft handles it is unpredictable for all but the
>> shortest messages.

Re: E-mailing data file

Mike Bonner
Theres a little tool you can install (and I think you can adjust
things manually yourself) so that mailto: will kick gmail in. It can
be handy for those online links so that it will open a gmail compose
window, but of all the people I know who use gmail I think only 2 of
them have it set up this way.  I'm not one of them either, so its a
safe bet that in most cases your point is correct.  In that situation,
it would open an unconfigured "default" mail client which would indeed
be useless.