EBCDIC to ASCII

Richard Gaskin
Anyone here have a function to translate the old EBCDIC encoding format
to anything more modern format like ASCII or UTF-8?

Re: EBCDIC to ASCII

mwieder
On 12/28/2016 08:32 AM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
> Anyone here have a function to translate the old EBCDIC encoding format
> to anything more modern format like ASCII or UTF-8?

Hopefully this is a year-end joke. Ha! Good one.

If not, here are some tables. I can't think of anything other than a
huge switch statement that would do this, and iterating through the text
character by character.

http://www.astrodigital.org/digital/ebcdic.html

http://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSGH4D_14.1.0/com.ibm.xlf141.aix.doc/language_ref/asciit.html

--  Mark Wieder

 ahsoftware@gmail.com

Re: EBCDIC to ASCII

dunbarxx
I think Richard saves these for early April.

The function is trivial. The data can be found at places like:

http://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSZJPZ_11.3.0/com.ibm.swg.im.iis.ds.parjob.adref.doc/topics/r_deeadvrf_EBCDIC_to_ASCII.html

Craig Newman

Re: EBCDIC to ASCII

Mark Wieder wrote:

 > On 12/28/2016 08:32 AM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
 >> Anyone here have a function to translate the old EBCDIC encoding
 >> format to anything more modern format like ASCII or UTF-8?
 >
 > Hopefully this is a year-end joke. Ha! Good one.

You might think so, but I'm actually asking for a forum member:

Oddly enough, he says he has an FTP client that will do the translation
automatically for him when he chooses "text" transfer mode.

While reading up on this I found that the Wikipedia page for that format
has a section titled "Criticism and humor", which includes this gem:

   Professor: "So the American government went to IBM to come up with
               an encryption standard, and they came up with—"

   Student: "EBCDIC!"

:)

 > If not, here are some tables. I can't think of anything other than a
 > huge switch statement that would do this, and iterating through the
 > text character by character.
 >
 > http://www.astrodigital.org/digital/ebcdic.html

http://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSGH4D_14.1.0/com.ibm.xlf141.aix.doc/language_ref/asciit.html

Yeahm, probably not hard, but I'm not in a position to write it for him
and was hoping we might have something ready-to-use in our community
that I could point him to.

Re: EBCDIC to ASCII

Jerry Jensen-2
Eewwww.