Enabling "About MyApp"

ELS Prothero via use-livecode
How can I activate the "About MyApp" under the Apple menu?

Re: Enabling "About MyApp"

GEORGE WOOD wrote:

 > How can I activate the "About MyApp" under the Apple menu?

On other OSes the "About" item is usually the last item in the Help
menu.  If you put your About item there, you'll find that when LC
automatically translates its menu objects for the Mac menu bar it'll
move your About item to the application menu.

In fact, a similar thing happens with "Preferences". On most platforms
it's the last item in the Edit menu, and when you put a "Preferences"
item there the automatic menu bar change that LC does will put it in the
application menu as well, below About.

Re: Enabling "About MyApp"

ELS Prothero via use-livecode
This should be in the user guide...

On Tue, 12 May 2020 at 00:42, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> GEORGE WOOD wrote:
>
>  > How can I activate the "About MyApp" under the Apple menu?
>
> On other OSes the "About" item is usually the last item in the Help
> menu.  If you put your About item there, you'll find that when LC
> automatically translates its menu objects for the Mac menu bar it'll
> move your About item to the application menu.
>
> In fact, a similar thing happens with "Preferences". On most platforms
> it's the last item in the Edit menu, and when you put a "Preferences"
> item there the automatic menu bar change that LC does will put it in the
> application menu as well, below About.
>
> --
>   Richard Gaskin
>   Fourth World Systems
>   Software Design and Development for the Desktop, Mobile, and the Web

http://www.andregarzia.com

Re: Enabling "About MyApp"

ELS Prothero via use-livecode
Sorry, how does this apply to a mobile app which hasn’t got a menu in an explicit sense - of course I can provide a ‘menu’ item, i.e. some kind of choice the user can make (I do in fact have a ’settings’ card in the app I’m producing, so that could be somewhere to put it), but it’s not obligatory, is it?

Graham

> On 22 May 2020, at 14:11, Andre Garzia via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> This should be in the user guide...
>
> On Tue, 12 May 2020 at 00:42, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> GEORGE WOOD wrote:
>>
>>> How can I activate the "About MyApp" under the Apple menu?
>>
>> On other OSes the "About" item is usually the last item in the Help
>> menu.  If you put your About item there, you'll find that when LC
>> automatically translates its menu objects for the Mac menu bar it'll
>> move your About item to the application menu.
>>
>> In fact, a similar thing happens with "Preferences". On most platforms
>> it's the last item in the Edit menu, and when you put a "Preferences"
>> item there the automatic menu bar change that LC does will put it in the
>> application menu as well, below About.
>>
>> --
>>  Richard Gaskin
>>  Fourth World Systems
>>  Software Design and Development for the Desktop, Mobile, and the Web

> http://www.andregarzia.com

Re: Enabling "About MyApp"

ELS Prothero via use-livecode
Oops, I think this is a different conversation. My issue is with mobile apps.

Apologies

Graham

> On 22 May 2020, at 14:26, Graham Samuel via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Sorry, how does this apply to a mobile app which hasn’t got a menu in an explicit sense - of course I can provide a ‘menu’ item, i.e. some kind of choice the user can make (I do in fact have a ’settings’ card in the app I’m producing, so that could be somewhere to put it), but it’s not obligatory, is it?
>
> Graham
>
>> On 22 May 2020, at 14:11, Andre Garzia via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> This should be in the user guide...
>>
>> On Tue, 12 May 2020 at 00:42, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:

>>> On other OSes the "About" item is usually the last item in the Help
>>> menu.  If you put your About item there, you'll find that when LC
>>> automatically translates its menu objects for the Mac menu bar it'll
>>> move your About item to the application menu.
>>>
>>> In fact, a similar thing happens with "Preferences". On most platforms
>>> it's the last item in the Edit menu, and when you put a "Preferences"
>>> item there the automatic menu bar change that LC does will put it in the
>>> application menu as well, below About.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Richard Gaskin
>>> Fourth World Systems
>>> Software Design and Development for the Desktop, Mobile, and the Web

>> http://www.andregarzia.com

Re: Enabling "About MyApp"

ELS Prothero via use-livecode
Agreed, and apparently the docs team does too - see the chapter
"Programming Menus & Menu Bars", section "Menu Bars on Mac OS X
Systems", where pg 181 discusses "Special Menu Items".

Andre Garzia wrote:

 > This should be in the user guide...
 >
 > On Tue, 12 May 2020 at 00:42, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <
 >
 >> GEORGE WOOD wrote:
 >>
 >>  > How can I activate the "About MyApp" under the Apple menu?
 >>
 >> On other OSes the "About" item is usually the last item in the Help
 >> menu.  If you put your About item there, you'll find that when LC
 >> automatically translates its menu objects for the Mac menu bar it'll
 >> move your About item to the application menu.
 >>
 >> In fact, a similar thing happens with "Preferences". On most
 >> platforms it's the last item in the Edit menu, and when you put a
 >> "Preferences" item there the automatic menu bar change that LC does
 >> will put it in the application menu as well, below About.

Re: Enabling "About MyApp"

ELS Prothero via use-livecode
My comment was in reply to George's request about desktop menus.

Mobile systems have no menu bar of course, so any conventions that apply
to menu bars don't apply to mobile platforms.

I did a couple searchs to try to find an answer for your mobile
question, and posted the results here:
http://lists.runrev.com/pipermail/use-livecode/2020-May/260470.html

Graham Samuel wrote:
 > Sorry, how does this apply to a mobile app which hasn’t got a menu in
 > an explicit sense - of course I can provide a ‘menu’ item, i.e. some
 > kind of choice the user can make (I do in fact have a ’settings’ card
 > in the app I’m producing, so that could be somewhere to put it), but
 > it’s not obligatory, is it?
 >
 > Graham
 >
 >> On 22 May 2020, at 14:11, Andre Garzia via use-livecode
 >>
 >> This should be in the user guide...

 >>> On other OSes the "About" item is usually the last item in the Help
 >>> menu.  If you put your About item there, you'll find that when LC
 >>> automatically translates its menu objects for the Mac menu bar it'll
 >>> move your About item to the application menu.
 >>>
 >>> In fact, a similar thing happens with "Preferences". On most
 >>> platforms it's the last item in the Edit menu, and when you put a
 >>> "Preferences" item there the automatic menu bar change that LC does
 >>> will put it in the application menu as well, below About.

Re: Enabling "About MyApp"

ELS Prothero via use-livecode
I have a app that has the About as the last item in the Help menu.

It works in the Windows build but not in the Mac build (MacOS 10.14.6). It worked in previous versions. I don’t see anything wrong.

The symptoms on the Mac is that the About item is in the correct place but the script is not run when selected.

LiveCode 9.6.1 Indy.

Not sure why the script isn’t run.

Any suggestions?

Bill Vlahos

> On May 11, 2020, at 4:40 PM, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> GEORGE WOOD wrote:
>
> > How can I activate the "About MyApp" under the Apple menu?
>
> On other OSes the "About" item is usually the last item in the Help menu.  If you put your About item there, you'll find that when LC automatically translates its menu objects for the Mac menu bar it'll move your About item to the application menu.
>
> In fact, a similar thing happens with "Preferences". On most platforms it's the last item in the Edit menu, and when you put a "Preferences" item there the automatic menu bar change that LC does will put it in the application menu as well, below About.
>
> --
> Richard Gaskin
> Fourth World Systems

Re: Enabling "About MyApp"

ELS Prothero via use-livecode
This seems to be a bug in 9.6.1 for MacOS. Add a case statement for just “About”. The case statement for “About MyApp” won’t be recognized.

Thanks to Elanor at LiveCode for pointing this out.

Regards,
Bill Vlahos