Encryption / Encoding Differences between IDE and OS X Standalone

Encryption / Encoding Differences between IDE and OS X Standalone

Peter W A Wood
I've written a very simple stack to encrypt or decrypt some text. There are two fields (In and Out) and two buttons (Encrypt and Decrypt). When I encrypt test in the IDE and then paste the encrypted text from the Out field to the In field and then decrypt it, I get the back the original text. But not in an OS X Standalone. From a few experiments, I suspect that the issue is related to displaying the encrypted text, probably an encoding issue.

I'm using LiveCode 6.5.2 under OS X 10.7.5

Here is my script:

local tData
local tDisplay
local tPassword
local tSalt
local tIV

on openStack
   put the sha1Digest of "My Old Password" into tPassword
   put "12345678" into tSalt
   put "1234567890123456" in tIV
end openStack

on encryptMSG
   put Field "In" into tData
   encrypt tData using "aes256" with password tPassword and salt tSalt and IV tIV
   put it into tDisplay
   delete char 1 to 16 of tDisplay
   put tDisplay into Field "Out"
end encryptMSG

on decryptMSG
   put Field "In" into tData
   decrypt tData using "aes256" with password tPassword and salt tSalt and IV tIV
   put it into Field "Out"
end decryptMSG

When I copy the encrypted text from the OS X standalone into a text editor (or even Mail), it displays differently (hence my suspicion that this is an encoding issue.

I appreciate any suggestions as to where I am going wrong.

Thanks

Peter
http://LiveCode1001.blogspot.com

Re: Encryption / Encoding Differences between IDE and OS X Standalone

Roger Eller
In standalone application settings, are you including ssl & encryption?

~Roger
On Feb 19, 2014 9:20 PM, "Peter W A Wood" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've written a very simple stack to encrypt or decrypt some text. There
> are two fields (In and Out) and two buttons (Encrypt and Decrypt). When I
> encrypt test in the IDE and then paste the encrypted text from the Out
> field to the In field and then decrypt it, I get the back the original
> text. But not in an OS X Standalone. From a few experiments, I suspect that
> the issue is related to displaying the encrypted text, probably an encoding
> issue.
>
> I'm using LiveCode 6.5.2 under OS X 10.7.5
>
> Here is my script:
>
> local tData
> local tDisplay
> local tPassword
> local tSalt
> local tIV
>
> on openStack
>    put the sha1Digest of "My Old Password" into tPassword
>    put "12345678" into tSalt
>    put "1234567890123456" in tIV
> end openStack
>
> on encryptMSG
>    put Field "In" into tData
>    encrypt tData using "aes256" with password tPassword and salt tSalt and
> IV tIV
>    put it into tDisplay
>    delete char 1 to 16 of tDisplay
>    put tDisplay into Field "Out"
> end encryptMSG
>
> on decryptMSG
>    put Field "In" into tData
>    decrypt tData using "aes256" with password tPassword and salt tSalt and
> IV tIV
>    put it into Field "Out"
> end decryptMSG
>
> When I copy the encrypted text from the OS X standalone into a text editor
> (or even Mail), it displays differently (hence my suspicion that this is an
> encoding issue.
>
> I appreciate any suggestions as to where I am going wrong.
>
> Thanks
>
> Peter
> http://LiveCode1001.blogspot.com

Re: Encryption / Encoding Differences between IDE and OS X Standalone

Peter W A Wood
Roger

I'm pretty certain that I did. The first time I build the standalone, I used the "search for ..." option. The second time I specifically included the ssl & encryption lib.

Regards

On 20 Feb 2014, at 10:23, Roger Eller wrote:

> In standalone application settings, are you including ssl & encryption?
>
> ~Roger
> On Feb 19, 2014 9:20 PM, "Peter W A Wood" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I've written a very simple stack to encrypt or decrypt some text. There
>> are two fields (In and Out) and two buttons (Encrypt and Decrypt). When I
>> encrypt test in the IDE and then paste the encrypted text from the Out
>> field to the In field and then decrypt it, I get the back the original
>> text. But not in an OS X Standalone. From a few experiments, I suspect that
>> the issue is related to displaying the encrypted text, probably an encoding
>> issue.
>>
>> I'm using LiveCode 6.5.2 under OS X 10.7.5
>>
>> Here is my script:
>>
>> local tData
>> local tDisplay
>> local tPassword
>> local tSalt
>> local tIV
>>
>> on openStack
>>   put the sha1Digest of "My Old Password" into tPassword
>>   put "12345678" into tSalt
>>   put "1234567890123456" in tIV
>> end openStack
>>
>> on encryptMSG
>>   put Field "In" into tData
>>   encrypt tData using "aes256" with password tPassword and salt tSalt and
>> IV tIV
>>   put it into tDisplay
>>   delete char 1 to 16 of tDisplay
>>   put tDisplay into Field "Out"
>> end encryptMSG
>>
>> on decryptMSG
>>   put Field "In" into tData
>>   decrypt tData using "aes256" with password tPassword and salt tSalt and
>> IV tIV
>>   put it into Field "Out"
>> end decryptMSG
>>
>> When I copy the encrypted text from the OS X standalone into a text editor
>> (or even Mail), it displays differently (hence my suspicion that this is an
>> encoding issue.
>>
>> I appreciate any suggestions as to where I am going wrong.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Peter
>> http://LiveCode1001.blogspot.com

Re: Encryption / Encoding Differences between IDE and OS X Standalone

Roger Eller
I had that problem when  testing 6.6 DP1 encryption on Android.  For my
situation, it was the platform specific ssl & encryption checbox.

Which  version are you using?
On Feb 19, 2014 9:28 PM, "Peter W A Wood" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Roger
>
> I'm pretty certain that I did. The first time I build the standalone, I
> used the "search for ..." option. The second time I specifically included
> the ssl & encryption lib.
>
> Regards
>
> Peter
> http://LiveCode1001.blogspot.com
>
> On 20 Feb 2014, at 10:23, Roger Eller wrote:
>
> > In standalone application settings, are you including ssl & encryption?
> >
> > ~Roger
> > On Feb 19, 2014 9:20 PM, "Peter W A Wood" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> I've written a very simple stack to encrypt or decrypt some text. There
> >> are two fields (In and Out) and two buttons (Encrypt and Decrypt). When
> >> encrypt test in the IDE and then paste the encrypted text from the Out
> >> field to the In field and then decrypt it, I get the back the original
> >> text. But not in an OS X Standalone. From a few experiments, I suspect
> that
> >> the issue is related to displaying the encrypted text, probably an
> encoding
> >> issue.
> >>
> >> I'm using LiveCode 6.5.2 under OS X 10.7.5
> >>
> >> Here is my script:
> >>
> >> local tData
> >> local tDisplay
> >> local tPassword
> >> local tSalt
> >> local tIV
> >>
> >> on openStack
> >>   put the sha1Digest of "My Old Password" into tPassword
> >>   put "12345678" into tSalt
> >>   put "1234567890123456" in tIV
> >> end openStack
> >>
> >> on encryptMSG
> >>   put Field "In" into tData
> >>   encrypt tData using "aes256" with password tPassword and salt tSalt
> and
> >> IV tIV
> >>   put it into tDisplay
> >>   delete char 1 to 16 of tDisplay
> >>   put tDisplay into Field "Out"
> >> end encryptMSG
> >>
> >> on decryptMSG
> >>   put Field "In" into tData
> >>   decrypt tData using "aes256" with password tPassword and salt tSalt
> and
> >> IV tIV
> >>   put it into Field "Out"
> >> end decryptMSG
> >>
> >> When I copy the encrypted text from the OS X standalone into a text
> editor
> >> (or even Mail), it displays differently (hence my suspicion that this
> is an
> >> encoding issue.
> >>
> >> I appreciate any suggestions as to where I am going wrong.
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >>
> >> Peter
> >> http://LiveCode1001.blogspot.com

Re: Encryption / Encoding Differences between IDE and OS X Standalone

Peter W A Wood
Hi Roger

On 20 Feb 2014, at 10:42, Roger Eller wrote:

> I had that problem when  testing 6.6 DP1 encryption on Android.  For my
> situation, it was the platform specific ssl & encryption checbox.

I can't see any platform specific lib checkboxes for OS X.

> Which  version are you using?

LiveCode 6.5.2; OS X 10.7.5

Regards

Peter

Re: Encryption / Encoding Differences between IDE and OS X Standalone

Roger Eller
Right.  My tests were on Android, where the new encryption external must be
checked.  And again, that is in 6.6 DP1.

So, I don't know what to suggest.  May be a  bug.

~Roger
On Feb 19, 2014 10:40 PM, "Peter W A Wood" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Roger
>
> On 20 Feb 2014, at 10:42, Roger Eller wrote:
>
> > I had that problem when  testing 6.6 DP1 encryption on Android.  For my
> > situation, it was the platform specific ssl & encryption checbox.
>
> I can't see any platform specific lib checkboxes for OS X.
>
> > Which  version are you using?
>
> LiveCode 6.5.2; OS X 10.7.5
>
> Regards
>
> Peter

Re: Encryption / Encoding Differences between IDE and OS X Standalone

J. Landman Gay
On February 19, 2014 8:42:18 PM CST, Roger Eller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>I had that problem when  testing 6.6 DP1 encryption on Android.  For my
>situation, it was the platform specific ssl & encryption checbox.

I've been waiting for encryption on Android for a very long time.  Does this mean I can't encrypt on my Mac and decrypt on my Android tablet?

Re: Encryption / Encoding Differences between IDE and OS X Standalone

Jan Schenkel
Hi Peter,

Fields are meant for the display of text, not binary data.
You could 'base64encode' the binary data before you display it.

Oh, and when treating binary data, you should the 'byte' chunk instead of the 'char' chunk.
That way when LiveCode goes all-in Unicode, your script will continuye to work.

HTH,

Jan Schenkel

=====
Quartam Reports & PDF Library for LiveCode
www.quartam.com

=====
"As we grow older, we grow both wiser and more foolish at the same time."  (La Rochefoucauld)

 Subject: Encryption / Encoding Differences between IDE and OS X Standalone
 To: "How to use LiveCode" <[hidden email]>

Re: Encryption / Encoding Differences between IDE and OS X Standalone

Jan Schenkel
Hi Jacque,

As long as the same encryption algorithm is available on both sides, it should just work.
Though to avoid encoding issues when crossing platforms/architectures, it might be best to base64encode your encrypted data before sending it over the wire.

Jan Schenkel.

=====

 To: "How to use LiveCode" <[hidden email]>
 Date: Wednesday, February 19, 2014, 8:58 PM

 --
 Jacqueline Landman Gay
    |     [hidden email]
 HyperActive Software
    |     http://www.hyperactivesw.com

Re: Encryption / Encoding Differences between IDE and OS X Standalone

Peter W A Wood
Many thanks to Jan for the helpful suggestions with which I have improved the code.

Unfortunately, it didn't solve the problem. I have cut down the code so that the encryption uses only a plaintext password, no sha1 hashing, no salt and no initial value. Thanks to Jan's Base64 encoding suggestion, I can see clearly that I get different encrypted values when running in the IDE to running the stack as a standalone.

Here's the cutdown script:

local tData
local tDisplay
local tPassword

on openStack
   put "12345678" into tPassword
end openStack

on encryptMSG
   put Field "In" into tData
   encrypt tData using "aes256" with password tPassword
   put it into tDisplay
   put the base64Encode of tDisplay into Field "Out"
end encryptMSG

on decryptMSG
   put the base64Decode of Field "In" into tData
   decrypt tData using "aes256" with password tPassword
   put it into Field "Out"
end decryptMSG

When I encrypt Is this a bug? in the IDE the encrypted value is U2FsdGVkX1+phY3qAHj6kKxYtytOeLA7K/TM+9tfP+Y= but in the standalone it is U2FsdGVkX1/wFDjazwOsvXrEzPHQNcmvBa6nfU2rSJE=

I wonder if it is the standalone settings that I am using as in addition to this difference, as I also cannot copy the contents of Field "Out" to the clipboard using command-C in the standalone. (Though apart from selecting Intel only, I haven't changed any of the default settings).

On 20 Feb 2014, at 13:45, Jan Schenkel wrote:

> Hi Peter,
>
> Fields are meant for the display of text, not binary data.
> You could 'base64encode' the binary data before you display it.
>
> Oh, and when treating binary data, you should the 'byte' chunk instead of the 'char' chunk.
> That way when LiveCode goes all-in Unicode, your script will continuye to work.
>
> HTH,
>
> Jan Schenkel
>
> =====
> Quartam Reports & PDF Library for LiveCode
> www.quartam.com
>
> =====
> "As we grow older, we grow both wiser and more foolish at the same time."  (La Rochefoucauld)

Re: Encryption / Encoding Differences between IDE and OS X Standalone

Bill Vlahos
Peter,

I don’t know why it would be different in the IDE vs a standalone but I wouldn’t expect it to work correctly working with fields. There are limitations of what can be in a field.

I wrote the “Encryption Demo Stack” in RevOnLine that works both compiled and in the IDE. It puts the encrypted content into a custom property to avoid the problem you describe. You could take a look at it to see how it might be different from your stack.

I just tested it with LC 6.5.2 under 10.9.1 but it was written a long time ago so it should work fine in 10.7.

Bill Vlahos
_________________
InfoWallet (http://www.infowallet.com) is about keeping your important life information with you, accessible, and secure.
lcTaskList: (http://www.infowallet.com/lctasklist/index.htm)
RunRev lcTaskList Forum: (http://forums.runrev.com/viewforum.php?f=61)

On Feb 19, 2014, at 6:19 PM, Peter W A Wood <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've written a very simple stack to encrypt or decrypt some text. There are two fields (In and Out) and two buttons (Encrypt and Decrypt). When I encrypt test in the IDE and then paste the encrypted text from the Out field to the In field and then decrypt it, I get the back the original text. But not in an OS X Standalone. From a few experiments, I suspect that the issue is related to displaying the encrypted text, probably an encoding issue.
>
> I'm using LiveCode 6.5.2 under OS X 10.7.5
>
> Here is my script:
>
> local tData
> local tDisplay
> local tPassword
> local tSalt
> local tIV
>
> on openStack
>   put the sha1Digest of "My Old Password" into tPassword
>   put "12345678" into tSalt
>   put "1234567890123456" in tIV
> end openStack
>
> on encryptMSG
>   put Field "In" into tData
>   encrypt tData using "aes256" with password tPassword and salt tSalt and IV tIV
>   put it into tDisplay
>   delete char 1 to 16 of tDisplay
>   put tDisplay into Field "Out"
> end encryptMSG
>
> on decryptMSG
>   put Field "In" into tData
>   decrypt tData using "aes256" with password tPassword and salt tSalt and IV tIV
>   put it into Field "Out"
> end decryptMSG
>
> When I copy the encrypted text from the OS X standalone into a text editor (or even Mail), it displays differently (hence my suspicion that this is an encoding issue.
>
> I appreciate any suggestions as to where I am going wrong.
>
> Thanks
>
> Peter
> http://LiveCode1001.blogspot.com

Re: Encryption / Encoding Differences between IDE and OS X Standalone

Peter W A Wood
Bill

Thanks, I took a look at your Encryption Demo Stack which works correctly both in the IDE and as a standalone. It does look as though the problem that I'm hitting is due to the limitations of a field and not the encryption functions. I will continue to investigate.

Regards

Peter