Enterprise problem

MisterX
Hi everyone

i have a "serious" problem... Time is limited for these tests and i have to
get them out tomorow if possible. Hopefully you can guide me to resolve
this... Rev is the perfect answer but it's crashing!

I've had a major series of crashes today, i've had a lot of issues with
network access over windows with stacks accessing network files and im
severely concerned. The problem is NOT about connectivity between windows
and network devices - it's proven to work - but my stack is crashing
anywhere accessing these files...

The stack is nothing complex. It's 5 KBs without data and it tries to read
the first KB of every file in a 4000 files list. List is 240KBs roughly. So,
for each file, it opens the file, reads 1024 bytes, closes the file.

At each loop if there an error, the file path is reported. (all files >
16KBs btw). This was supposed to take 10 minutes to do! After 4 hours it is
not and no errors to report which is rather hard to believe but sustantiated
by the fact that the crash is not reproduced at the same file...

IOW, the loop doesn't crash at the same place or with the same file...

The read file operation is not using get url file: but open file, read from
file, close file

Each open, read and close is monitored for errors.

  open file thisfile
  if the result is not empty then...

yes i tried saving at each loop my stack with the last file read! No, the
last saved version didnt help. The same files dont always crash the stack...
Stack is local to the server too, not on the network (causes more problems)

The only possibility is that the file read times out.... The stack freezes
everything and then crashes the IDE...

Thanks for any likely issues or crashes. I dont see a simple way to test
files any other way... I cannot use the get URL as files may exceed
megabytes and even gigabytes in some cases.

The function "there is a file afile" is not an option as i have to test that
archived data is retrievable and the "there is a file" will be true thinking
the alias of the file is the file.

Hence using the read from file being the only option...

Please vote 3116 if you think it will help... Another "critical" problem
unconfirmed for months... sorry but i dont think support is supposed to
help... Bg 1076 is hitting me since 1999 and it's still pending... Each time
I get a crash i want to vote more for that bugzilla.

cheers
Xavier

Re: Enterprise problem

masmit
Just a thought, and it's certainly outside of my experience, but
since you mention aliases...

if there is a file (the aliasReference of file fName)....

Mark

On 8 Feb 2006, at 17:44, MisterX wrote:

> [...]
>
> Thanks for any likely issues or crashes. I dont see a simple way to
> test
> files any other way... I cannot use the get URL as files may exceed
> megabytes and even gigabytes in some cases.
>
> The function "there is a file afile" is not an option as i have to
> test that
> archived data is retrievable and the "there is a file" will be true
> thinking
> the alias of the file is the file.
>
> Hence using the read from file being the only option...
>
> Please vote 3116 if you think it will help... Another "critical"
> problem
> unconfirmed for months... sorry but i dont think support is
> supposed to
> help... Bg 1076 is hitting me since 1999 and it's still pending...
> Each time
> I get a crash i want to vote more for that bugzilla.

Re: Enterprise problem

mwieder
X-

Wednesday, February 8, 2006, 9:44:35 AM, you wrote:

> The stack is nothing complex. It's 5 KBs without data and it tries to read
> the first KB of every file in a 4000 files list. List is 240KBs roughly. So,
> for each file, it opens the file, reads 1024 bytes, closes the file.

Sounds like this could be your antivirus software, either on the
computer running the stack or on the server, that's slowing things
down. You might try disabling it for the 10-minute test, or placing
the file directory on the excluded list to see if that helps.

--
-Mark Wieder

 ahsoftware@gmail.com

RE: Enterprise problem

MisterX
Mark

im not sure this is it...

or it wouldn't crash on files after a certain point, pass the same files
where it crashed before and crash on files later. Files have not changed
since archival, they were virus checked before. Still worth the check but
not it IMOHO...

thanks for the though in the right direction
Xavier

Re: Enterprise problem

Jim Ault
On 2/8/06 9:44 AM, "MisterX" <[hidden email]> wrote:>
>. Rev is the perfect answer but it's crashing!
> The read file operation is not using get url file: but open file, read from
> file, close file
>
> Each open, read and close is monitored for errors.
>
>   open file thisfile
>   if the result is not empty then...

My first thought is to use a 'shell' command to read from file for 1028K

Second is the Exernals Collection from the Rev web site
It contains an "Open File" dll
syntax ext_openFile <path of folder or file>

find it at  http://support.runrev.com/resources/unsupported.php

Hope this helps

Jim Ault
Las Vegas

RE: Enterprise problem

MisterX
Jim,

I want to use "supported tools"...

Also if I do this in a shell, I might as well do the whole thing... If I can
avoid using shell... I will...

Thanks for the ideas
Xavier