Ethereal Breakpoints

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
really... Really... REALLY NEED TO FIX those damn red dot breakpoints! Every time I save a script, even if it's only the spelling of a word, the breakpoints fail.

8.1.5

RE: Ethereal Breakpoints

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
Interesting, I haven't had a problem with red dots. I'm on Win 10 / 8.1.5.
In fact if I set BP save, close LC, reopen and launch my stack the script
breaks. BPs are saved in the stack I guess.

Ralph DiMola
IT Director
Evergreen Information Services
[hidden email]

Re: Ethereal Breakpoints

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
On Mac, you never know for sure if a BP will trigger.

Then you may also see spurious BPs listed in the Breakpoints tab below, or in the script above.

Peter Bogdanoff

> On Jul 21, 2017, at 2:31 PM, Ralph DiMola via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Interesting, I haven't had a problem with red dots. I'm on Win 10 / 8.1.5.
> In fact if I set BP save, close LC, reopen and launch my stack the script
> breaks. BPs are saved in the stack I guess.
>
> Ralph DiMola
> IT Director
> Evergreen Information Services
> [hidden email]

Re: Ethereal Breakpoints

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
Thanks Peter that is also my experience, although like I said at one point it seemed to be working so I started using them again. As is the red dot breakpoints are completely unusable.

Bob S

> On Jul 21, 2017, at 14:47 , Peter Bogdanoff via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Mac, you never know for sure if a BP will trigger.
>
> Then you may also see spurious BPs listed in the Breakpoints tab below, or in the script above.
>
> Peter Bogdanoff

Re: Ethereal Breakpoints

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
Heh heh. One of my breakpoints says group "dgDevices" line 568. There are 136 lines in that script. There have never been more that 200.

Re: Ethereal Breakpoints

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
On Fri, Jul 21, 2017 at 2:47 PM, Peter Bogdanoff via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

On Mac, you never know for sure if a BP will trigger.

I took to calling them "Pirate Code Dots" for a reason.

In all fairness, they got *MUCH* better a few months ago, and now usually
work.

Well, except when they go on walkabout, and relocate to other parts of the
script, or empty lines, or . . .

:)

They will usually even trigger in preOpenStack on startup these days; I
used to have to use an ask before I could even get a coded breakpoint to
trigger.

It used to be the norm to lose a couple of hours of a full day of coding to
the IDE ; now it's a few minutes here and there.

(But the failure to fix that bug where local variables get clobbered when
opening palettes remains a problem; I'd forgotten the details [and I
reported it!] until an update today noting that it's still present in 9.0;
I think it's the problem of a couple of my big, release-blocking issues at
the moment)
--
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
(702) 508-8462

Re: Ethereal Breakpoints

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
I'm not having any trouble with the breakpoints per se but if you edit the
script with the dots in place they tend to migrate. When that happens you
don't always notice and it acts like they aren't working.

On July 21, 2017 4:51:32 PM Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Peter that is also my experience, although like I said at one point
> it seemed to be working so I started using them again. As is the red dot
> breakpoints are completely unusable.
>
> Bob S
>

>> On Jul 21, 2017, at 14:47 , Peter Bogdanoff via use-livecode
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Mac, you never know for sure if a BP will trigger.
>>
>> Then you may also see spurious BPs listed in the Breakpoints tab below, or
>> in the script above.
>>
>> Peter Bogdanoff

Re: Ethereal Breakpoints

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
On Fri, Jul 21, 2017 at 4:55 PM, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm not having any trouble with the breakpoints per se but if you edit the
> script with the dots in place they tend to migrate. When that happens you
> don't always notice and it acts like they aren't working.

Even when you notice, it's hard to tell.

When the edit works, the line moves, and then the dot moves a second or two
later.

I vaguely suspect that sometimes, something else interrupts (a message in
the queue hits its trigger time?), and the one doesn't happen.

--
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
(702) 508-8462

Re: Ethereal Breakpoints

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode

> On 22 Jul 2017, at 9:55 am, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I'm not having any trouble with the breakpoints per se but if you edit the script with the dots in place they tend to migrate. When that happens you don't always notice and it acts like they aren't working.

I haven’t looked at the code that tries to keep the like paired with the breakpoint but my gut feeling is to do it right you would want to set some metadata on the line of the field and then look for it when updating the gutter. I’ll try and find some time to take a look into it.

Cheers

Monte

Re: Ethereal Breakpoints

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode

> I haven’t looked at the code that tries to keep the like paired with the breakpoint but my gut feeling is to do it right you would want to set some metadata on the line of the field and then look for it when updating the gutter. I’ll try and find some time to take a look into it.
>
> Cheers
>
> Monte

Monte,

I’ve got a fix for this. I’ll submit a bug report and open a pull request so you can have a look.

Bob Hall

Re: Ethereal Breakpoints

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
And I should clarify, the fix is for the “delayed moving” of break points. Not the “ethereal” issue ;-)

Bob

Re: Ethereal Breakpoints

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
all of the above experiences confirmed here.. it's so bad sometimes I remove all break points from the menu, save everything, shut down and start add manual

breakpoint

in the actual code. with my text editor (using 85% script only  text.livecodescripts now)
then reboot and pray.

such a nuisance.

no recipe.

On 7/21/17, 11:55 AM, "use-livecode on behalf of Bob Sneidar via use-livecode" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

    Heh heh. One of my breakpoints says group "dgDevices" line 568. There are 136 lines in that script. There have never been more that 200.

SE Gutter better scroll tracking [Bugfix-20140]

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
I have a proposed fix for the gutter lagging behind the scrolling of the Script Editor field. As you will see, this is a big improvement for scrolling in the SE. I had been messing around with this for a couple of months now and have done a lot of testing. The way the Gutter is handled I’d say needs an overhaul but for now, this will help in the near term.

Changes are minor to get this working. trying it out should only be attempted by more advanced users. You MUST use LC 9.0dp8 and please, make sure you’ve got a copy just incase it all blows up ;-)

https://github.com/livecode/livecode-ide/compare/develop...bhall2001:bugfix-20140

I’m not going to go into how to install the changes.

If anyone does install, please report back and let me know how it works (or doesn’t) for you.

Thanks in advance,
Bob Hall

Re: SE Gutter better scroll tracking [Bugfix-20140]

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
Does this fix also handle the misalignment after editing a script?

On July 23, 2017 7:25:41 AM Bob Hall via use-livecode
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have a proposed fix for the gutter lagging behind the scrolling of the
> Script Editor field. As you will see, this is a big improvement for
> scrolling in the SE. I had been messing around with this for a couple of
> months now and have done a lot of testing. The way the Gutter is handled
> I’d say needs an overhaul but for now, this will help in the near term.
>
> Changes are minor to get this working. trying it out should only be
> attempted by more advanced users. You MUST use LC 9.0dp8 and please, make
> sure you’ve got a copy just incase it all blows up ;-)
>
> https://github.com/livecode/livecode-ide/compare/develop...bhall2001:bugfix-20140
>
> I’m not going to go into how to install the changes.
>
> If anyone does install, please report back and let me know how it works (or
> doesn’t) for you.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Bob Hall

Re: SE Gutter better scroll tracking [Bugfix-20140]

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode

> On Jul 23, 2017, at 12:40 PM, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Does this fix also handle the misalignment after editing a script?

Not sure exactly what the misalignment is that you’re referring to. If it's the issue in the “Ethereal Breakpoints” thread then no. If not, point me to the bug report or thread with what the issue is and I’ll put it on my radar screen while I’m poking around in the breakpoint code.

This fix strictly handles the delayed scrolling of the gutter especially when you drag the scroll bar.

Bob

On 7/23/17 12:14 PM, Bob Hall via use-livecode wrote:

>> On Jul 23, 2017, at 12:40 PM, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Does this fix also handle the misalignment after editing a script?
>>

> Not sure exactly what the misalignment is that you’re referring to. If it's the issue in the “Ethereal Breakpoints” thread then no. If not, point me to the bug report or thread with what the issue is and I’ll put it on my radar screen while I’m poking around in the breakpoint code.
>
> This fix strictly handles the delayed scrolling of the gutter especially when you drag the scroll bar.

I couldn't find a bug report, but the issue that bothers me more than a
timing delay is how existing breakpoints migrate to a completely
different line after a script edit. Suppose I add a line of code at some
point above a red dot breakpoint. Sometimes it works, moving the red dot
down one line. Other times it moves the dot a random number of lines
below where it should be, sometimes quite far away.

Since I don't have a repeatable recipe, I haven't reported it. This has
been going on for a long time, it isn't a new problem. I'm in the habit
now of removing existing breakpoints before any edit.

Re: SE Gutter better scroll tracking [Bugfix-20140]

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode

> On Jul 23, 2017, at 3:00 PM, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I couldn't find a bug report, but the issue that bothers me more than a timing delay is how existing breakpoints migrate to a completely different line after a script edit.

You know, I thought it was me and my new advanced age that was causing me to think I set a BP in one place only to find it was in a different place some days later...

Well, I have a very simple recipe for the bug!!!!!!

We’re about to head out for a summer BBQ but I know exactly how to make breakpoints “migrate”. I also have a sneaking suspicion when this bug was introduced. I’d like to get the exact LC version that this happens at as I’m sure that is going to tell us a lot about what’s causing the issue.

I need to do a little more research. I’ll get this bug opened up with a recipe later tonight (EDT).

Bob

Re: SE Gutter better scroll tracking [Bugfix-20140]

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
Hi Bob

Have you tried this out with very very long scripts > 10000 lines? The reason there’s an update delay on a number of things is to reduce the risk of the field editing performance being effected.

Cheers

Monte

> On 23 Jul 2017, at 10:23 pm, Bob Hall via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I have a proposed fix for the gutter lagging behind the scrolling of the Script Editor field. As you will see, this is a big improvement for scrolling in the SE. I had been messing around with this for a couple of months now and have done a lot of testing. The way the Gutter is handled I’d say needs an overhaul but for now, this will help in the near term.
>
> Changes are minor to get this working. trying it out should only be attempted by more advanced users. You MUST use LC 9.0dp8 and please, make sure you’ve got a copy just incase it all blows up ;-)
>
> https://github.com/livecode/livecode-ide/compare/develop...bhall2001:bugfix-20140
>
> I’m not going to go into how to install the changes.
>
> If anyone does install, please report back and let me know how it works (or doesn’t) for you.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Bob Hall

Re: SE Gutter better scroll tracking [Bugfix-20140]

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode

> On 24 Jul 2017, at 5:00 am, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I couldn't find a bug report, but the issue that bothers me more than a timing delay is how existing breakpoints migrate to a completely different line after a script edit. Suppose I add a line of code at some point above a red dot breakpoint. Sometimes it works, moving the red dot down one line. Other times it moves the dot a random number of lines below where it should be, sometimes quite far away.
>
> Since I don't have a repeatable recipe, I haven't reported it. This has been going on for a long time, it isn't a new problem. I'm in the habit now of removing existing breakpoints before any edit.

I was trying to figure this out yesterday. Nearest I can tell is it gets out of sync when you hold down delete and delete a number of lines or hold down return and add a number of lines. I’m not sure if there are other situations where it gets out of sync. It could be that Bob’s patch actually does fix it because I *think* it’s related to the delay and some of the parameters of the update handler being out of sync with the content of the editor by the time it’s actually run. We just need to be careful with any script that is run for every edit such as this one.

Cheers

Monte

Re: SE Gutter better scroll tracking [Bugfix-20140]

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
On Sun, Jul 23, 2017 at 1:29 PM, Monte Goulding via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

>  Nearest I can tell is it gets out of sync when you hold down delete and
> delete a number of lines or hold down return and add a number of lines.

My particular suspicion is that this happens when a delayed handler
launches from the queue--and that execution of the editor window doesn't
resume, leaving the dots i an "old" position.

I think that it is usually when lines are added or removed, maybe even
always.

However, I'd also note that sometimes the effected dots are thousands of
lines later in another handler.

Hmm, don't think i've seen any "earlier" dots affected, which lends
credence to the theories being bandied about.

--
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
(702) 508-8462